Microsoft Studios |OT3| I thought they were supposed to be sold off by now

Nov 10, 2017
It's seems MS has considered buying EA, but probably thought it was better to buy independent studios. I still say they buy someone like Sega in the next two years.
I think they should buy Sega, and give all of Sega's studios / teams the budget they haven't had in a very long time (or ever) and do their massive list of IP the justice they deserve. Imagine Phantasy Star V (single player offline RPG) and a Daytona USA 4 built on Scarlett spec.

Nov 2, 2017
Matts numbers are US only. So Halo 4 might be best selling Halo in US but not world wide. Same with Reach. Halo 3 at the very least had the largest active playerbase for it's first 24 months

I think they should buy Sega, and give all of Sega's studios / teams the budget they haven't had in a very long time (or ever) and do their massive list of IP the justice they deserve. Imagine Phantasy Star V (single player offline RPG) and a Daytona USA 4 built on Scarlett spec.
Honestly, this would be miraculous IF they reformed all the Dreamcast-era teams (Smilebit, Overclock, WOW, Hitmaker) and got some of the head talent to lead them.
Scarlet in the West, Dreamcast 2 in the East. Also, somehow work some magic and make DC games BC and we'd be cooking!

Oct 29, 2017
I’ve put a lot of thought into the potential studio Microsoft is looking to acquire that’s worked with PlayStation before. Has anyone though of it being The Chinese Room? I think it fits the bill more so than ready at dawn etc...

Oct 27, 2017
I’ve put a lot of thought into the potential studio Microsoft is looking to acquire that’s worked with PlayStation before. Has anyone though of it being The Chinese Room? I think it fits the bill more so than ready at dawn etc...
It's not impossible, but they would have to buy them from Sumo Digital. Or buy Sumo Digital.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
You misinterpreted the quote entirely wrong. the article is about Halo 3. The "Halo trilogy—an international award-winning action series that grew into a global entertainment phenomenon" part is just defining what Halo is. Everything else is H3 stats. MS made the quote in July 2012, on Waypoint, on the H3 page. Why do you think they'd be talking about Halo 2's online stats on H3s page so long after H2 was last relevant?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-3

but your right I goofed on the math. H3 sold 8.1 mil in the first 3 months, then 6.4 over the followiing 4.5 years. So 1.4 million a year.

Still it shows how much drop off a game has after launch. In the first 3 months h3 sold 56% of all its copies. Most games will be even more front loaded.

Also, I haven't visited Wikipedia at all
Even if I’m misinterpreting it that means halo 3 sold 6.4 million copies after it’s first holiday season. Even if halo 5 did half that than it still would be at 8.2 million.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Game sales typically drop exponentially after launch.

Halo 3 sold 14.5 million by July 2012. So it sold more (almost 2x) in the first 3 full months (8.1 mil) than it did for the following 4 years (4.4 mil) . But yes that's considered good legs. Great legs actually. That's an extra million copies year... That's rare.

People for some reason believe Halo 5 bucked all sales trends despite falling off all charts almost immediately

Edit: ms announced the 8.1 on January after launch https://news.softpedia.com/news/Ove...-and-8-Million-Halo-3-Copies-Sold-75202.shtml
Because back then games were more frontloaded.

UC4 and Horizon had little chart presence and they both are até ~9mi, granted Sony bundled both a lot, but so was halo 5, at least before gamepass

Aug 14, 2018
Bonus points if Fizzie is at Larry’s side
Crazy Larry will be the antagonist of SO2.

For TGA, if I can get any of the following: Awesome gamepass additions (keep in mind indies and AA are some of my favorites), Gears 5 trailer/more gameplay, Ninja Theory's new game sneak peak, more Crackdown 3 stuff, Mercenaries 3 (I can dream...) I'll be happy.

Just please, not another 8 minute trailer for Death Stranding. We get it Geoff, you love Kojima.

May 2, 2018
Yeah, I'd be shocked if Microsoft didn't have something Marvel in the pipeline. Marvel Games are clearly not discriminating.
Who'd be making it?
Almost anyone? Ultimate Alliance 3 is being made by Team Ninja. Microsoft could have any of their studios work on it, they could approach a Team 2 at Insomniac, Platinum, they could contract a Capcom or Sega studio, etc.

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, I'd be shocked if Microsoft didn't have something Marvel in the pipeline. Marvel Games are clearly not discriminating.

Almost anyone? Ultimate Alliance 3 is being made by Team Ninja. Microsoft could have any of their studios work on it, they could approach a Team 2 at Insomniac, Platinum, they could contract a Capcom or Sega studio, etc.
This is exactly my reasoning. After Spider-man the arguement could have been made that Marvel was heavily, heavily curating what games were made, but a rough-looking Switch exclusive doesn't really fit that billing.

Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian's new game looks more Fallout than any of rhe 3D Fallout games did tbh. Looks pretty ambitious and well done, a bit rough with the framerate so far but very promising.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if I’m misinterpreting it that means halo 3 sold 6.4 million copies after it’s first holiday season. Even if halo 5 did half that than it still would be at 8.2 million.
I just don't see any indication that H5 would do half what H3 did.

In 3 months H3 sold in the US what H5 sold world wide in the same timeframe. H5 debuted with less then half the sales of H3 in the UK and dropped like a rock in pal charts.

I think after 5 years on the market, H5 might have came close to half of what H3 sold in that timeframe were it not for Gamepass.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
We are assuming for sequel also, if the game does well I think MS will buy the publishing rights from them.
I would imagine they would if it sells well, if they can get Private Division to sell that is. It would get them off the ground quick with an IP that people generally have an interest in. Do you by chance know of an article or something that discusses all this?