• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I agree with a lot of what you said but we must also be critical where necessary for them to improve. Post launch support has been great but will the gamers who played SoT come back, we don't know but I can't imagine it will bring back a lot of players who played at launch. It could have been the new Overwatch ( in terms of a breakout IP) but its not there yet.

If you saw the Latest Tales of Tavern podcast, the executive producer Joe Neate of SoT seemed absolutely exhausted and it almost seemed like Rare was taken aback by the criticsm of the Lack of Content at launch and how the Hungering Deep and Cursed Sails and the lack of meaningful impact they had.

I hope internally, tough questions were asked:

How did Rare think that they had enough content when they launched the game? Was Play testing, Forums, Pioneer feedback reviewed?

Did internal testing show that the end game of Pirate Legend was just more grinding, lack of quests?

I am very happy with where SoT is right now and hope it achieves more success. There is nothing like it but its Rare and I expect nothing but the BEST.

Joe Neate also went to PAX, Comic Con, X018, E3, Gamescom and more. It's crazy.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Actually a lot of games do post-launch content now in multiplayer focused games. Some are free, some are not. Killer instinct, Rainbow Six Siege, No Man's Sky, Sea of Thieves, Overwatch, Gears of War, Halo 5, Destiny, The Division, and the list goes on with games that try to continue to improve from the point of release. KI was viewed as a game with too little content at launch, and left as one of the most beloved games on Xbox One, and I might add as one of the best fighting games. No Man's Sky launched in a state where people flat out felt lied to, yet they won the award for best ongoing game at VGA this year. Siege launched with connection issues, and again the complaint of not enough content, though now its viewed as one of, if not the best shooter of this generation.

Which goes to my point of saying you're talking of specific games, not games in general. I personally don't think SoT which improve enough to surpass being below average but as I said, I'm more than open and hopeful to be proven wrong.

You say it doesnt matter if a game improves is completely ignoring what i said, and frankly you seem to be wrapped up in your own opinion to even consider that reviews are not some solidifying fact. They are not. They are stagnant in the modern era of games continuing to evolve whether you want to ignore that or not.

I said it doesn't matter if the game improves later based on initial review scores. Those scores for where that specific game was, was correct and representative of the game at that point. There is a difference.

I also don't get how Rare worked on this for 4 years and this was the end result.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/tom-clancys-rainbow-six-siege

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/evolve

Which is a better game? Rainbow Six Siege has a 74 meta, and Evolve has a 76.

I was adamant that Siege was a good game when it came out, and now its widely viewed as one of the best shooters this generation.

See, multiplayer games evolve with time, but reviews stay stagnant. its not really a fair way to view these games, but I guess we should use reviews as proof of what is the best?

I tried to stay out of your all's little discussion, but reviews tend to be bad, and dont always represent a game, especially games with continued developement. Even the recent Smash Bros shows this where reviewers reviewed it before it came out, and now we find out the online mode sucks.

Very good point backed up with facts. Multiplayer games quality over long term depends on support + community. Can't use initial ratings to determine current value of a game that's evolved.

I think gaming reviewers need to adjust for this. GAAS games should get re-reviewed yearly. SoT will be a different game 12 months after it's release.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Which goes to my point of saying you're talking of specific games, not games in general. I personally don't think SoT which improve enough to surpass being below average but as I said, I'm more than open and hopeful to be proven wrong.

I said it doesn't matter if the game improves later based on initial review scores. Those scores for where that specific game was, was correct and representative of the game at that point. There is a difference.

I also don't get how Rare worked on this for 4 years and this was the end result.

Youre not even talking about the same thing I am. You said game A is better than Game B because review scores proved this. If you believe that, then Siege is a mediocre game, and things like Evolve are better. Sorry to tell you but an initial review does not represent an ongoing game anymore than a judgment of an unfinished painting.

Oct 26, 2018
Sooooooo..... What kind of game does everyone think compulsion might be working on ( seems like they Don get talked about enough here) ( changing this increasing pointless argument)

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fable 2 started the downward slope. Killing off the Heroes Guild right away, bland story with only a handful of even half-memorable characters, cluttered menu system that's more confusing than it needs to be, having to be still to cast magic, no interesting quests, there's just so much wrong with it to me.

And this is just it by itself. Fable 1 you could honestly make a case for it being one of the best rpgs of that generation, up there with KOTOR, Baulder's Gate, and Morrowind. But Fable 2 and 3 against Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and NV, Mass Effect, etc? They don't stand a chance, which is depressing as 1 set up such a great foundation.
I really don't compare the Fable series to other western RPGs because it's a RPG, Action Adventure and Sims all at once while also not truly being one of those things. That may seem bad, but its smorgasbord of genres is what makes it great (although I would always want more depth in all of its component genres). I liked Fable II more as a game than I did the Fallouts. Skyrim with mods is my favorite game of all time and while Fable can't match Mass Effect's character interaction and dialogue I didn't really expect it to.

Combat in the series has never been a strong point but I didn't mind the simplicity of Fable II, although not being able to move while flourishing and casting was annoying. Fable III somehow took Fable II's combat and made it worse. Remember how slow time was a potion instead of a spell (truly awful design choices)? Fable TLC edges out Fable II in terms of combat. I love the stylized two handed weapons that were too heavy to hold upright, more unique spells, etc. I can't say combat is why I played Fable, although I'll take Fable TLC and II over FO3 and NV's awful shooting (of course I'm not playing FOs for combat either).

On the character front I disagree completely. Jack of Blades has awesome character design and I like the lore with the void and the Court of Blades that was never fully explored. Apart from JoB, your mother and Theresa I found the supporting heroes to be rather annoying which was purposeful, but they don't hold a candle to Fable II's supporting cast. Theresa was all the more interesting in Fable II and Zoe Wanamaker gave a great performance. Then you have Reaver who beats out anyone in Fable TLC and Hammer who didn't fit the mold of most female characters in RPGs. Lucien was also a lot better than your average RPG villain as he wasn't some ancient evil, just a corrupt and rich leader with a fascination to bring his family back. Side note, Fable III had the series' best cast, Ben Kingsley, Zoe Wanamaker, Stephen Fry, John Cleese, Michael Fassbender, Simon Pegg and Naomie Harris.

On quest design, I think Fable TLC is better than II, but it's close and II has some great quests (Chesty, pirate ghosts, Normanomicon, raising Lady Grey). While design is better in TLC in terms of objectives I like the context of the quests better in II as well as the atmosphere. Wraithmarsh and its environmental story telling is great.

I don't think PG will have such an easy time with Fable as many expect. There's a lot they could miss and get wrong about Fable. I would expect better combat, but I'm also worried it will be a by the numbers open world and lack the charm of the originals.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about you guys but as a huge Xbox 360 gamer I was incredibly disappointed with their last years before next gen happened. I loved Halo 4 but Gears Judgment was a terrible misstep and the focus on Kinect during E3 was horrible.

Then came Xbox One and despite all the negativity about how their reveal was all "TV, TV, TV," their E3 was fine with Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza and Sunset Overdrive. Two new IP and it looked promising. That is until we got the news about Lionhead and Fable Legends being dead, Press Play and their next game gone, Project Spark gone and of course Scalebound.

Next gen is gonna be really interesting and a real opportunity for Xbox to prove itself again. Many new studios and likely new IP among returning IP and it's all very promising. You'd think with all these promising new things it can't go wrong but nothing is guaranteed. But I sure hope for the very best. Time for Xbox to shine again.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Sea of Thieves is the living example that some people actually think they want Rare to create what they want - but in reality they only want Rare to create what they want.

There is this ridiculous "I know how devs feel! Let them create what they want to create!" agenda going on for some people - but when a studio actually does so like Rare is doing with Sea of Thieves, it's suddenly not the right thing to do either. So no. You clearly don't know anything about studio culture or what people want to work on.

Sea of Thieves is the game Rare and especially Mayles wanted to create for many, many years. You cant be any more communicative, transparent, community-driven and passionate about a game than Rare is with Sea of Thieves.

Sea of Thieves is rather polarizing. Either you love it or you hate it. Saying the one thing is more right here than the other is simply wrong. The only thing that can be said objectively is that the game is a success, gets huge post-launch support, had mediocre reviews and has a healthy community around it. These are the facts.

I feel like you could make that argument if the game reviewed well, but the game was a critical failure in many ways. I really do want studios to be able to make whatever they want, but I also want them to fully realize that goal. Plainly stated, they have to execute if they want that freedom and I don't think Rare executed their vision for Sea of Thieves well. Sea of Thieves felt half-baked and incomplete. I'm not arguing Rare is not passionate about the game. I'm also not arguing that the concept was something they wanted to do for many years, but you have to execute.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know about you guys but as a huge Xbox 360 gamer I was incredibly disappointed with their last years before next gen happened. I loved Halo 4 but Gears Judgment was a terrible misstep and the focus on Kinect during E3 was horrible.

Then came Xbox One and despite all the negativity about how their reveal was all "TV, TV, TV," their E3 was fine with Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza and Sunset Overdrive. Two new IP and it looked promising. That is until we got the news about Lionhead and Fable Legends being dead, Press Play and their next game gone, Project Spark gone and of course Scalebound.

Next gen is gonna be really interesting and a real opportunity for Xbox to prove itself again. Many new studios and likely new IP among returning IP and it's all very promising. You'd think with all these promising new things it can go wrong but nothing is guaranteed. But I sure hope for the very best. Time for Xbox to shine again.
Agree. It does feel like MS have a renewed focus on gaming. I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see some of the fruits of their labor.

MS has a good chance to make an impact nextgen. They learnt from 1X how much tech is important, so I can see them making some stunning spec choices for Scarlett. Throw in all the BC stuff, game pass etc and the start of nextgen will be fascinating to see unfold.

Aug 26, 2018
And now they're stuck making Destiny for 10 years and they have a CEO who is known to dislike sequels.

Mission accomplished, I guess?

Wait, what? Bungie WANTED to make Destiny ( More than 1 game) after Halo 3, they always have.

You underestimate Destiny. It is arguably the 2nd biggest new IP launched this gen behind Overwatch in terms of players, revenue and mindshare. It has millions of active players in a month and it is a fantastic experience on the whole if you haven't been spoilt by the toxic Bungie Forums. Bungie is still amazing at creating Lore, Massive Worlds and Destiny is not a one and done thing in my opinion.

Activision has spoilt them with Eververse & pushing Bungie to launch DLCs at 40$. Destiny 2 Forsaken and Destiny 1 Taken King proves Bungie if left to their creative liberties can create great experiences.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I know Bungie wanted to make Destiny, but they ultimately left MS to make another sci-fi fps for 10 years that, frankly, doesn't have the same quality that the Halo series brought. Bungie under MS felt properly managed and always delivered quality products.

Destiny 1 and 2 were (IMO) mediocre products that needed to be saved by expansion packs. And given that Destiny 3 is a thing, I'm betting the same thing will happen to it.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Lots of harsh language in here for rare... Have you guys looked at that game? It is absolutely stunningly gorgeous. The game is casually fun and they are continuing to support it. Are there issues? Of course. I think it's fine to say it isn't for you but this "bottom tier studio" stuff is completely absurd.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The changes they have made and are reportedly making have already ensured that MS will have me as a customer next gen. Now, this won't necessarily mean I get the next Xbox, but MS don't care.

For example, If I have say, £400 only, ring-fenced as my console hardware budget for 2020. If PS5 launches well, with a good stable of games, I might just buy PS5 and then just stream Xbox games to my Android device using Xcloud.

MS won't care, they'll be the winners, financially. Sony are likely to not make a dime selling me the hardware and if they do focus on single player games as they have I don't need to get PS Plus. Conversely, MS don't even have to build and sell me a console and I'll be giving them a years sub to Gamepass anyway.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Bungie wanted to make Destiny, but they ultimately left MS to make another sci-fi fps for 10 years that, frankly, doesn't have the same quality that the Halo series brought. Bungie under MS felt properly managed and always delivered quality products.

Destiny 1 and 2 were (IMO) mediocre products that needed to be saved by expansion packs. And given that Destiny 3 is a thing, I'm betting the same thing will happen to it.

I had my share of fun with Destiny. I don't agree with a lot (most, actually) of Bungie's current design philosophies, but there's an excellent gameplay core underneath the issues, which is definitely important. I just find it ironic how they couldn't stand the idea of working for a big bad publisher like Microsoft imposing them a lot of identical sci-fi shooter sequels... so they moved to Activision, who force them to chum out identical sci-fi shooters at a faster rate, giving them even less creative leeway and keeping them on said franchise for (at least) 10 years, a longer timeframe from Halo 1's inception to their idea of moving onto Destiny. I think that parting was an important crossroad: those who cared about Halo, moved to 343. Those who really were not into doing the same games for a decade or more, left Bungie not towards 343 but somewhere else altogether. Everyone else stayed to make Destiny I guess.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think that in this instance "properly managed" should extend to every facet of managing a first party studio. Destiny should be an XB exclusive. The industry today, particularly the narrative about XB would be significantly different if it was.

Aug 26, 2018

Not sure about that. Have you played Destiny?

I personally found Destiny 1 & 2 more enjoyable than 343's Halo 4 & 5. Right now, I switch between the Forsaken and Halo 5 MP.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, Bungie needed Microsoft to reign them in. When they manage themselves it always turns into a disaster.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i think people forget that og concept art for destiny was fantasy not sc-fi
destiny-old-environments8-700x467-c.jpg

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
In your rush to defend Rare, you missed out on my point. This isn't just about Sea of Thieves, but Rare as a whole. They haven't produced enough quality games befitting of their talent for quite some time.

On Sea of Thieves, if this was the game they've wanted to make for 25 years that is honestly kind of sad to me because after playing it I was left with such disappointment. It's barebones and boring honestly. There is nothing interesting about it that Black Flag didn't do better outside of the MP aspect.

They need new leadership and direction that can push all that talent into making games befitting of them and the budget backing them. Sea of Thieves wasn't my focal point, but that wont cut it.

Alot of that is very subjective. I wouldn't call sea of thieves my game of the year but I enjoyed the time I had with it. It's a great game when your playing with your family or friends.

I don't think its fair to say they need new leadership when the former windows chief had them handcuffed. They didn't have the budget or freedom to make the games they want to make.

Lastly, if sea of thieves is the game they have wanted to make for 25 years I think its great that they got to make it. Why Poo-poo on there dreams and call for the firing of a bunch of people for making a game you didn't like and basically doing what they were told to do for years. they were told to make Kinect games so they made the best Kinect games they could. As Phil Spencer got more control they were allowed more freedom to make games they want to make. I for one am interested to see where they are going and will judge them on the merits of today. They seemingly have freedom and money like the other studios so they have no excuse now.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Going back to last week, was there any NEW crackdown footage? all i remember is the commercial we've seen already with Terry talking to himself about looking tight lol

i guess the inside xbox for Jan will be a blowout?

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Youre not even talking about the same thing I am. You said game A is better than Game B because review scores proved this. If you believe that, then Siege is a mediocre game, and things like Evolve are better. Sorry to tell you but an initial review does not represent an ongoing game anymore than a judgment of an unfinished painting.

No, I'm saying game A, in this case Black Flag, is better than game B, SoT based off their merits and also adding that these reviewer and user scores are consistent with my thoughts.

The score for Seige is reflective of what it was at the time. Reviewers don't base their scores off what the game may potentially get to, but off what it is upon release. SoT was barebones and boring upon its release. I know. I played it.

My last post on this though. It's fruitless.

Oct 26, 2017
Going back to last week, was there any NEW crackdown footage? all i remember is the commercial we've seen already with Terry talking to himself about looking tight lol

i guess the inside xbox for Jan will be a blowout?

No new footage at all, which really is just bullshit. We're nearing it's release more and more. It's time to market that thing some more. Show more of the campaign. It's nice to read about how it has improved so much like that article we had a few weeks ago but we need to see it. Perhaps one of these days it's a IGN First?

Xbox wants Crackdown to be standing next to Halo, Forza and Gears but they sure as shit need to market that bitch a lot more. Surely January, since February is release month.

Aug 26, 2018
No new footage at all, which really is just bullshit. We're nearing it's release more and more. It's time to market that thing some more. Show more of the campaign. It's nice to read about how it has improved so much like that article we had a few weeks ago but we need to see it. Perhaps one of these days it's a IGN First?

I agree, not showing proper SP footage for CD3 during the Game Awards seemed like a good opportunity missed.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017

Xbox wants Crackdown to be standing next to Halo, Forza and Gears but they sure as shit need to market that bitch a lot more. Surely January, since February is release month.

BLAH i want to see more and maybe a tidbit of what these villians are made of! haha

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

I think what often goes unsaid when discussing Bungie's departure is the business side of the conversation where the people at the top get to make significantly more money by being independent while also now being the sole owners a billion dollar IP. Also, Destiny has been awesome. Sure it has had some ups or downs but they still have that magic.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
No, I'm saying game A, in this case Black Flag, is better than game B, SoT based off their merits and also adding that these reviewer and user scores are consistent with my thoughts.

The score for Seige is reflective of what it was at the time. Reviewers don't base their scores off what the game may potentially get to, but off what it is upon release. SoT was barebones and boring upon its release. I know. I played it.

My last post on this though. It's fruitless.

I have no clue what you mean anymore.. Let's just say you think Black Flag is a better game than Sea of Thieves. And at launch it was better reviewed than Sea of Thieves. ;)

Man, what a discussion!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
In other Microsoft Studios news: Minecraft Cats & Pandas just released.

Wondering when we'll see more on Minecraft: Dungeons

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Until they add a single player narrative I think I'll just steer clear of Sea of Thieves. I play games to get away from people, not interact with them. Lol

I'm also not a fan of releasing a half finished game with the promise of updating it in the future. If you want to add content post launch, that's fine. Do that. But the base game should still include more than enough content to satiate people. It's why I won't support games like No Man's Sky or Rainbow Six Siege.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, not showing proper SP footage for CD3 during the Game Awards seemed like a good opportunity missed.

That would have been a real good time for sure man. But instead we get a damn promo clip of Crews, come on now.

BLAH i want to see more and maybe a tidbit of what these villians are made of! haha

Same here! The latest article talked about how each of the bosses have their own kind of military and thus different enemies, one would have mechs as the E3 trailer showed. Seems like there's at least some kind of story but Jesus, just show us the new things a little more. The well known things from the first game. I really doubt the game is gonna hold its own and can stand next to their top franchises, I just don't see that happening at all and that's fine. It should be fun and that's enough. But it sure as hell needs to be put out there more.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Have you even watched TGA? You cant do a proper in-depth gameplay video there lol ... The format of the show doesn't fit to that kind of showing. They could've done another campaign trailer - but you got that at E3 2018 already, so that would've been not good either. You saw campaign. You saw multiplayer. They will go in-depth soon enough.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
They actually just got a large investment from NetEase to become a multi-franchise development studio. Their next game is very likely title "Matter."

That's interesting, but after getting fleeced with Destiny, I'm not really continent in there ability to treat their fans right, let alone build something I feel is special.

Id love to be wrong though

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Until they add a single player narrative I think I'll just steer clear of Sea of Thieves. I play games to get away from people, not interact with them. Lol
If the multiplayer sandbox keeps evolving I may end up picking up the game anyways just to theme park my way through the big events and quests, but what I really want is a single player mode with a narrative. The world and art of Sea of Thieves is such a good fit for a single player adventure game. : /

And no, I don't consider the solo sloop to be a single player mode. You're still playing on a server meant for multiplayer encounters.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It makes sense that a person trying to compare Black Flag to SoT doesnt like SoT....it sounds like someone is very confused on the target Audience of each game

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Have you even watched TGA? You cant do a proper in-depth gameplay video there lol ... The format of the show doesn't fit to that kind of showing. They could've done another campaign trailer - but you got that at E3 2018 already, so that would've been not good either. You saw campaign. You saw multiplayer. They will go in-depth soon enough.

heheeheh MY fishing worked :P

come on, what else can you let us know?

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
If the multiplayer sandbox keeps evolving I may end up picking up the game anyways just to theme park my way through the big events and quests, but what I really want is a single player mode with a narrative. The world and art of Sea of Thieves is such a good fit for a single player adventure game. : /

And no, I don't consider the solo sloop to be a single player mode. You're still playing on a server meant for multiplayer encounters.
Agreed. Just solo-ing through a multiplayer server is not single player. The charm and character of their trailers really needs to come through to the game world. If they can add a fun and charming single player I might pick the game up; but I also feel like I got burned at launch so I don't know that they've earned a second chance.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
A
It makes sense that a person trying to compare Black Flag to SoT doesnt like SoT....it sounds like someone is very confused on the target Audience of each game
Lot of people just refuse to accept what SoT is. It's an incredibly unique game with nothing else like it on the market. It's baffling to call Rare a bottom tier dev.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A

Lot of people just refuse to accept what SoT is. It's an incredibly unique game with nothing else like it on the market. It's baffling to call Rare a bottom tier dev.

yeah you either "get" SoT or you dont. Theres allot of misconceptions about the game because people dont really understand it.

Leveling: A majority of arguments about the game is that there is no progression, which is entirely not true. The leveling of the game is your journey to Pirate Legend. With a game like Destiny, a game i also love, some people need to have super awesome congrats you gained 1 LEVEL YEAHHHHHHH GO YOU! SoT is not like this as your journey to Pirate Legend is unlike anything else in any game right now. Nobody is impressed with your level in Destiny because it takes no effort and honestly maxing out in light level isnt even that hard. When you run in to higher level people its really just a shoulder shrug like meh cool o wow he beat the Raid cool. If you run in to a Pirate Legend especially a Crew of them it is an immediate O SHIT moment in the game as they will most likely destroy you or help you. You have no idea whats going to happen in this scenario. That is the magic of the game and if you dont understand that well, i guess you just never will.

There is nothing to do: I guess if you dont have a crew to play with the game can get kind of boring. With a crew just sailing around can be fun as you are constantly working as a team to get to the point you want to get to in the safest and best way possible. You can sit there and just accept the wind is not in your favor or you can plan out and alternate way. Taking down the Meg the first time was amazing and working together with other crews is still one of the top 5 experiances i have had this generation in gaming. There is actually so much to do now between quests, finding mermaids, skeleton forts, skelton ships and so on.

In the end its almost insane to me that there are people shitting on Rare for setting out and doing EXACTLY what people have been begging for from Microsoft First Party for years now. They went out and made a completely unique game thats NOT a copy of everything else out there. They took a massive leap out of their comfort zone and have built something that can last a long time for Microsoft. There are many games i dont like, but i can understand why they are great. The Dark Souls series bores the absolute hell out of me, but people around here praise unbelievably. I mean sometimes you have to just realize you are not the audience this time

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Agreed. Just solo-ing through a multiplayer server is not single player. The charm and character of their trailers really needs to come through to the game world. If they can add a fun and charming single player I might pick the game up; but I also feel like I got burned at launch so I don't know that they've earned a second chance.
I agree. Even just random things to explore and discover on the islands would have added so much. It felt like No Man's Sky in the sense that I would find cool caves or random things of interest and there was never anything there. No environmental storytelling, no loot, nothing. Without those things, there's no reason to explore, so your only choice is to grind the available gameplay loop that just isn't satisfying enough to play for long stretches.

Apr 6, 2018
Thats certainly not what Xbox is lacking right now.
There's always a lack of mechs in each single medium
Sounds amazing to me.
The guy is pretty reliable and one of the few who really understands the narrative of the saga

Sea of Thieves is the living example that some people actually think they want Rare to create what they want - but in reality they only want Rare to create what they want.

There is this ridiculous "I know how devs feel! Let them create what they want to create!" agenda going on for some people - but when a studio actually does so like Rare is doing with Sea of Thieves, it's suddenly not the right thing to do either. So no. You clearly don't know anything about studio culture or what people want to work on.

Sea of Thieves is the game Rare and especially Mayles wanted to create for many, many years. You cant be any more communicative, transparent, community-driven and passionate about a game than Rare is with Sea of Thieves.

Sea of Thieves is rather polarizing. Either you love it or you hate it. Saying the one thing is more right here than the other is simply wrong. The only thing that can be said objectively is that the game is a success, gets huge post-launch support, had mediocre reviews and has a healthy community around it. These are the facts.
Basically this
False. Games in general, do not continue to evolve. You're speaking of specific games and despite that, what I said above still holds true. Those reviews don't lie and they're largely in tune with player reviews. It doesn't matter if it improves as far as content and options later. At the time it was what it was.

SoT is lacking in content. It lacks in fun. It lacks in charm. It's just a beautiful shell of a game and I'm not saying this to be difficult or upset anyone and I think we should move on from this debate soon.

No, I will use them when they're aggregate scores. Not all of those reviews can be wrong no matter how any of us feel about the game personally. Sorry.

I asked about Fortnite because it's essentially the same type of soulless game as SoT. It's aimless.

All I ever expect from a game is for it to be well made, fun, content filled, purposeful that controls well. SoT is lacking several of these for me. It's not about me thinking I want from them, it's about them delivering a great game no matter what it is, and SoT ain't it. Not for me at least.

But like I said, to each their own. I'm done.
What are aims in games if not something decided by the player? Ubisoft fills its ow with thousands of icons and aims, still most of the player won't pursue them.
SoT has content, the variety of it and how it's used was a problem at day one, now is a critic simply unreasonable that is not supported by the nature of the game. A player can't simply relax a minute anymore during travels, everything is perilous and an opportunity for loot and adventure . You don't like the philosophy behind it? Fine. Yet your complains are simply abused statements about the day one release. Which is common to each single gaas released in the past few years.
The game has a strong soul, the reason why you can't stand it is because its souls doesn't fit with your tastes
I agree with a lot of what you said but we must also be critical where necessary for them to improve. Post launch support has been great but will the gamers who played SoT come back, we don't know but I can't imagine it will bring back a lot of players who played at launch. It could have been the new Overwatch ( in terms of a breakout IP) but its not there yet.

If you saw the Latest Tales of Tavern podcast, the executive producer Joe Neate of SoT seemed absolutely exhausted and it almost seemed like Rare was taken aback by the criticsm of the Lack of Content at launch and how the Hungering Deep and Cursed Sails and the lack of meaningful impact they had.

I hope internally, tough questions were asked:

How did Rare think that they had enough content when they launched the game? Was Play testing, Forums, Pioneer feedback reviewed?

Did internal testing show that the end game of Pirate Legend was just more grinding, lack of quests?

I am very happy with where SoT is right now and hope it achieves more success. There is nothing like it but its Rare and I expect nothing but the BEST.
from what I heard numbers of players and watchers increased since the last two expansions, so from now it could only improve
Yeah... I think it was about more than creative differences. Just a hunch though.

What Bungie created with Destiny would have been right up Microsoft's alley at the time.
From what I got bungie was an anarchic studio while msft imposed them a strict production which was stressful
Yup, Bungie needed Microsoft to reign them in. When they manage themselves it always turns into a disaster.
Since reading the halo oral industry is not surprising that bungie created a mess without a strict control
I have no clue what you mean anymore.. Let's just say you think Black Flag is a better game than Sea of Thieves. And at launch it was better reviewed than Sea of Thieves. ;)

Man, what a discussion!
Forgetting that black flag was the sixth iteration in seven years of the same formula, while SoT is a new IP with a new game design
Going solo right now is quite hard, general world difficulty should be nerfed

Status
Not open for further replies.