• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sooooooo..... What kind of game does everyone think compulsion might be working on ( seems like they Don get talked about enough here) ( changing this increasing pointless argument)

Their next title will probably be a first party take on BioShock with elements of We Happy Few.

There is an exceptionally good game in We Happy Few that Compulsion simply couldn't put together properly with the resources they had.

They are presently staffing up and still hiring for We Happy Few.

Like I've said before, their first project as a studio under the MGS banner will most likely be a definitive edition of We Happy Few.

Last edited:

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
This is like going in to KFC and complaining they won't serve you a steak.
Disagree. It's more like not going to KFC in the first place and saying "maybe one day if they serve steak, I'll go". I'm not condemning the game, I'm saying it doesn't appeal to me and I'm giving my two cents for what the game would need to do to get me on board.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This debate regarding SoT is interesting and highlights a few things:
  • Tastes vary greatly between gaming enthusiasts which is why variety is so important
  • More developers creating both mainstream and niche titles takes pressure off of fellow developers on a given platform to have to appeal to the masses
  • Rare, 343 and Sumo were put in unfair situations because expectations were for them to fill the lack of exclusives by themselves
  • Microsoft gaming is on the right track but gamers looking at exclusives will feel unfulfilled regardless of the direction these developers take because there isn't enough of them dropping games yet
Greatness in creative achievements doesn't come from artists chasing focus groups. Greatness can only be achieved with passion.

Bungie's classic Halo trilogy is my favorite series of all time. I'm not a fan of 343's Halo campaigns however I feel they've been in the middle of the road getting hit by traffic going both ways. They need to passionately create their own game.

SoT was my greatest disappointment of 2018. Rare still needs to create what they're passionate about and they're still doing that with a title that is all it's own with a passionate fanbase.

Dark Souls made the masses angry...however it has about 3 million hardcore fans that will follow From Software to any platform.

Nier Automata is a niche title that's weird to the masses...but about 2 million fans will follow Platinum to any platform.

God of War 2018 is not what the fans asked for (take note fellow Halo fans)...but is many people's game of the year and will be the reason many people buy a PS5.

Haunting of Hill House is not in a mainstream genre and an expensive 10 hour series like that would not have been created on any platform 5 years ago...however it's many people's best new show in years and people will follow those writers to another platform if another subscription service hired them.

Point is you don't build a subscription service with a passionate fanbase with a bunch of mainstream, focus group tested content. Some of it? Yeah. But it's the 2 million people here, 1 million there that are super passionate about content made from passionate creative talent that creates the long term hype and loyalty.

Here's the gap: Spencer and co. have to know there's passionate people that want to see classic Rare single player games and new content with Classic Halo gameplay. There are inevitably developers out there who are also passionate about those older franchises. Why not form new teams that will build off of Rare's old IPs or add ODST like content to the Master Chief collection while 343 and Rare blaze new trails?

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Sooooooo..... What kind of game does everyone think compulsion might be working on ( seems like they Don get talked about enough here) ( changing this increasing pointless argument)
I actually think they may do a smaller 2D platformer project for the launch of Scarlett. Something to get their feet wet and help bolster the Scarlett launch lineup.

As much as we all would love for these studios to launch into AAA action-adventures, I think that some of the smaller studios will need time to grow and develop. With how uneven We Happy Few was, Compulsion seems like a prime candidate for one or two smaller projects before launching into something larger. I think they're capable, they just need some time to establish roles and work flows and think through a larger project.

Jul 17, 2018
Nope Fable II is the best one. Fable III onwards was a downward trend, but Fable III was also the last real Fable game we got. I think the leadership was a problem at LH, if Microsoft made them make that Kinect game then they are to blame. After The Journey, Legends was something no one asked for and the Fable IV that was proposed sounded like shit (dark and gritty, only took place in Bowerstone).

Fable 1 was superior to Fable 2. Only thing Fable 2 had over part 1 gameplay and even still the gameplay in 2 was nerfed a bit(not dying???).

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Their next title will probably a first party take on BioShock with elements of We Happy Few.

There is an exception good game in We Happy Few that they simply couldn't put together properly with the resources they had.

Like I've said before, their first project as a studio under the MGS banner will most likely be a definitive edition of We Happy Few.

I'm very excited to see what InXile and Compulsion do next. These studios with proven, experienced talent that have big career wins under their belt leave AAA and start small Indie studios for a reason. It's not because they hate great production values. They simply value creative freedom more. Having that creative freedom with the Gorilla behind them that is Microsoft who can help provide the resources for polish and production values is an interesting experiment. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when experimental, unique and niche game design meets polish and production values next gen.

Oct 26, 2017
Mech Assault and especially Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf were incredible experiences on Xbox Live imo.
It lacked the weight an, the control scheme was awful.

having played it recently, phew. Chrome hounds still holds up on the gameplay mechanics tho.

I say merge chrome hounds and mech assault and destructible environments from crackdown and you'll have somethign shiny

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
yeah you either "get" SoT or you dont. Theres allot of misconceptions about the game because people dont really understand it.

Leveling: A majority of arguments about the game is that there is no progression, which is entirely not true. The leveling of the game is your journey to Pirate Legend. With a game like Destiny, a game i also love, some people need to have super awesome congrats you gained 1 LEVEL YEAHHHHHHH GO YOU! SoT is not like this as your journey to Pirate Legend is unlike anything else in any game right now. Nobody is impressed with your level in Destiny because it takes no effort and honestly maxing out in light level isnt even that hard. When you run in to higher level people its really just a shoulder shrug like meh cool o wow he beat the Raid cool. If you run in to a Pirate Legend especially a Crew of them it is an immediate O SHIT moment in the game as they will most likely destroy you or help you. You have no idea whats going to happen in this scenario. That is the magic of the game and if you dont understand that well, i guess you just never will.

There is nothing to do: I guess if you dont have a crew to play with the game can get kind of boring. With a crew just sailing around can be fun as you are constantly working as a team to get to the point you want to get to in the safest and best way possible. You can sit there and just accept the wind is not in your favor or you can plan out and alternate way. Taking down the Meg the first time was amazing and working together with other crews is still one of the top 5 experiances i have had this generation in gaming. There is actually so much to do now between quests, finding mermaids, skeleton forts, skelton ships and so on.

In the end its almost insane to me that there are people shitting on Rare for setting out and doing EXACTLY what people have been begging for from Microsoft First Party for years now. They went out and made a completely unique game thats NOT a copy of everything else out there. They took a massive leap out of their comfort zone and have built something that can last a long time for Microsoft. There are many games i dont like, but i can understand why they are great. The Dark Souls series bores the absolute hell out of me, but people around here praise unbelievably. I mean sometimes you have to just realize you are not the audience this time

Well said and to the point. Everyone has different tastes in what they like and don't like. On Era, Bloodborne is like a second coming game, but I tried to play it and thought it was boring and lots of brown. I don't go around shitting on the game or anything like that, I just don't like it so I don't post in those threads or the Bloodborne 2 begging threads. SoT is a unique game and a great game if you get it and enjoy something completely different. Can it be better? Sure it can, like any other game. I do applaud MS/Rare for taking the risk. I do agree that the game we haven now is completely different than the game came out at launch which is a good thing, but I do understand how some felt it was a bit underwhelming/low in content.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War 2018 is not what the fans asked for (take note fellow Halo fans)...but is many people's game of the year and will be the reason many people buy a PS5.

Halo hasn't been what Halo fans want for 8 years now.

Also, although I don't have a strong opinion on the game one way or the other, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts definitely wasn't what fans wanted.

Innovation and reinvention of a franchise should make sense and come naturally. Not for the sake of change.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited to see what InXile and Compulsion do next. These studios with proven, experienced talent that have big career wins under their belt leave AAA and start small Indie studios for a reason. It's not because they hate great production values. They simply value creative freedom more. Having that creative freedom with the Gorilla behind them that is Microsoft who can help provide the resources for polish and production values is an interesting experiment. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when experimental, unique and niche game design meets polish and production values next gen.

The only thing I'm comfortable predicting is that it's the main reason why MS acquired inXile and that it will be set in a post apocalyptic world.

I'd like to see a third person Wasteland RPG, but I'm pretty much down for whatever.

Whatever Compulsion are working on I don't expect to see it till 2022 at the earliest. It'll probably be an FPS with fleshed out survival RPG mechanics that were initially intended to be a big part of We Happy Few. I'm not on the last part but it wouldn't surprise me.

Feb 23, 2018
  • Tastes vary greatly between gaming enthusiasts which is why variety is so important
  • More developers creating both mainstream and niche titles takes pressure off of fellow developers on a given platform to have to appeal to the masses
  • Rare, 343 and Sumo were put in unfair situations because expectations were for them to fill the lack of exclusives by themselves
  • Microsoft gaming is on the right track but gamers looking at exclusives will feel unfulfilled regardless of the direction these developers take because there isn't enough of them dropping games yet
Greatness in creative achievements doesn't come from artists chasing focus groups. Greatness can only be achieved with passion.

Bungie's classic Halo trilogy is my favorite series of all time. I'm not a fan of 343's Halo campaigns however I feel they've been in the middle of the road getting hit by traffic going both ways. They need to passionately create their own game.

SoT was my greatest disappointment of 2018. Rare still needs to create what they're passionate about and they're still doing that with a title that is all it's own with a passionate fanbase.

Dark Souls made the masses angry...however it has about 3 million hardcore fans that will follow From Software to any platform.

Nier Automata is a niche title that's weird to the masses...but about 2 million fans will follow Platinum to any platform.

Haunting of Hill House is not in a mainstream genre and an expensive 10 hour series like that would not have been created on any platform 5 years ago...however it's many people's best new show in years and people will follow those writers to another platform if another subscription service hired them.

Point is you don't build a subscription service with a passionate fanbase with a bunch of mainstream, focus group tested content. Some of it? Yeah. But it's the 2 million people here, 1 million there that are super passionate about content made from passionate creative talent that creates the long term hype and loyalty.

Here's the gap: Spencer and co. have to know there's passionate people that want to see classic Rare single player games and new content with Classic Halo gameplay. There are inevitably developers out there who are also passionate about those older franchises. Why not form new teams that will build off of Rare's old IPs or add ODST like content to the Master Chief collection while 343 and Rare blaze new trails?

Amazing post - very well said.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Halo hasn't been what Halo fans want for 8 years now.

Also, although I don't have a strong opinion on the game one way or the other, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts definitely wasn't what fans wanted.

Innovation and reinvention of a franchise should make sense and come naturally. Not for the sake of change.

I don't like 343's last 2 campaigns but my point is that they've been stuck between what they wanted to make and what fans wanted them to make. They created some unnatural, unbalanced compromises as a result. Lots on the record about how 343 had been very divided and both games ended up being rushed at the last second due to so much development time being surrounded by a draining conflict.

I would like Microsoft to allow those devs passionate about classic Halo to expand MCC or create more DLC ODST style content while letting everyone else reimagine the franchise. It'll never gain back it's magic without reinventing itself. That's what Zelda and God of War had to do.

Edit: I'm not an expert in exactly what 343 should do but my point is if 343 is going to do something great, it needs to be what their developers are passionate about. Trying to chase a box check lists that fans put out won't result in anything amazing if it's not what they want to do.

Oct 26, 2017
Agree. It does feel like MS have a renewed focus on gaming. I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see some of the fruits of their labor.

MS has a good chance to make an impact nextgen. They learnt from 1X how much tech is important, so I can see them making some stunning spec choices for Scarlett. Throw in all the BC stuff, game pass etc and the start of nextgen will be fascinating to see unfold.

Oh I have no doubt that MS will knock it out of the park with BC. It wouldn't surprise me if Scarlett will play OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games.

As for their new focus on gaming, that is indeed great news but with all that has went wrong during this generation there's definitely a lot of pressure on Phil Spencer and the new studios. Spencer has clearly seen that Sony truly had fantastic exclusives and in general steady lineup each year and they definitely want to compete with that, which is only a good thing for us gamers. Next gen is where they need to shine and they know it. Phil can only do his best, can't ask more of someone and we gotta hope that all these studios have proper management, budgets, get enough time.

Do we know if Undead Labs is expanding as well? We know they are under Microsoft now, but is their team getting bigger? Because the way SoD2 launched wasn't good and I think that's probably because the team wasn't all that big and the bug testing hadn't been done enough.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fable 1 was superior to Fable 2. Only thing Fable 2 had over part 1 gameplay and even still the gameplay in 2 was nerfed a bit(not dying???).
Fable TLC was way easier due to physical shield. In II you lost XP, in TLC you could not die. I don't slight either for being easy, not every game needs to be hard. That being said, the reboot could be.

II has better level desig. Is one thing I also failed to mention. III has better level design than both but there's a whole lot wrong in III negating its regions.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah you either "get" SoT or you dont. Theres allot of misconceptions about the game because people dont really understand it.

Leveling: A majority of arguments about the game is that there is no progression, which is entirely not true. The leveling of the game is your journey to Pirate Legend. With a game like Destiny, a game i also love, some people need to have super awesome congrats you gained 1 LEVEL YEAHHHHHHH GO YOU! SoT is not like this as your journey to Pirate Legend is unlike anything else in any game right now. Nobody is impressed with your level in Destiny because it takes no effort and honestly maxing out in light level isnt even that hard. When you run in to higher level people its really just a shoulder shrug like meh cool o wow he beat the Raid cool. If you run in to a Pirate Legend especially a Crew of them it is an immediate O SHIT moment in the game as they will most likely destroy you or help you. You have no idea whats going to happen in this scenario. That is the magic of the game and if you dont understand that well, i guess you just never will.

There is nothing to do: I guess if you dont have a crew to play with the game can get kind of boring. With a crew just sailing around can be fun as you are constantly working as a team to get to the point you want to get to in the safest and best way possible. You can sit there and just accept the wind is not in your favor or you can plan out and alternate way. Taking down the Meg the first time was amazing and working together with other crews is still one of the top 5 experiances i have had this generation in gaming. There is actually so much to do now between quests, finding mermaids, skeleton forts, skelton ships and so on.

In the end its almost insane to me that there are people shitting on Rare for setting out and doing EXACTLY what people have been begging for from Microsoft First Party for years now. They went out and made a completely unique game thats NOT a copy of everything else out there. They took a massive leap out of their comfort zone and have built something that can last a long time for Microsoft. There are many games i dont like, but i can understand why they are great. The Dark Souls series bores the absolute hell out of me, but people around here praise unbelievably. I mean sometimes you have to just realize you are not the audience this time

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out, I was losing the will to go on earlier :)

Oct 26, 2018
Their next title will probably be a first party take on BioShock with elements of We Happy Few.

There is an exceptionally good game in We Happy Few that Compulsion simply couldn't put together properly with the resources they had.

For some reason, I could seem Them making a weird, non action horror game where you solve a mystery, but can't fight the enemy at all

Oct 26, 2018
I actually think they may do a smaller 2D platformer project for the launch of Scarlett. Something to get their feet wet and help bolster the Scarlett launch lineup.

As much as we all would love for these studios to launch into AAA action-adventures, I think that some of the smaller studios will need time to grow and develop. With how uneven We Happy Few was, Compulsion seems like a prime candidate for one or two smaller projects before launching into something larger. I think they're capable, they just need some time to establish roles and work flows and think through a larger project.
I can see maybe a small 5 hr single player game as their first official ms game

Oct 25, 2017

There really, really isn't. We Happy Few has fundamental problems that the only solution would be redoing the game from scratch.

The world/story are pretty cool, though. I want to see what Compulsion can do without having to worry with resources from day 1.

Oct 26, 2017
The internal forums were a shit show, especially the Alpha ones. Criticism and Feedback was brushed under the bus with the typical "its a alpha" nonsense and yeah we know how the game came out...

When I started playing the alpha I gave them plenty of criticism too, especially the combat. That was the one thing that really stuck out to me right away, how unbelievably not fun and not engaging the combat is. I'm talking about the on foot combat of course.

Killing the skellies didn't feel right, they barely had any reactions to being hit, kinda like a Bethesda Game Studios RPG really and they really didn't do a thing with that criticism. So the team clearly thought the combat was fun. I agree with the other poster here that said the game is barebones and not fun at all. When they announced the game I was picturing tons of things to do. That Atlas trailer during TGA last week, that is definitely close to how I expected Sea of Thieves to be eventually or even at launch.

I get the whole "make your own fun" kind of thing they were going for at launch and I haven't played it for a good few months so maybe they do have a lot more content now but personally that bores the hell out of me. Give me stuff to do, give me variety, again, be more like Atlas. Ok so it clearly won't be as good tech wise as SoT but it sure seems there's a lot you can do in there. And as someone here also said, 4 years on this? No disrespect meant to anyone at the team but that just baffles me. And clearly this is all subjective, I realize very well that the game is quite popular and plenty players enjoying it.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Sea of theives was obviously very divisive. A lot liked it. A lot hated it. What I can't forgive and why I have no confidence in rare is this. They spent 4 yrs making that, and it was the most barebones 60$ game i ever played at launch. If it takes 4 years to make that.... then I don't have huge hopes for them.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
SoT is a great game for those who love it and there's plenty enough that do. Rare seem really pleased with the numbers playing and the game will still be with us for a good few years. Expect to see at at the next 2 e3s at least.

For those that want a single player campaign, this isn't for you. It never will be. But then why should they make games just for you? They wanted to make a game for people who felt excluded from traditional multiplayer games. A different audience, many of whom prefer the sandbox approach than structured narrative.

By all accounts most of Xbox first party will be catering for those who want story. You'll get your games. In the meantime, those gamers feeling shunned from a genre they once loved (the poisonous MP environment has turned off so many) get into gaming again. They aren't casual. Many of them were gaming before lots on here were born, but they just can't get into modern MP.

What Rare have delivered is gaming done differently. And their audience absolutely love it.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of theives was obviously very divisive. A lot liked it. A lot hated it. What I can't forgive and why I have no confidence in rare is this. They spent 4 yrs making that, and it was the most barebones 60$ game i ever played at launch. If it takes 4 years to make that.... then I don't have huge hopes for them.

I think Spencer even knows that. Going forward, Rare prob wont have big projects. Unless the house changes with new blood in the office.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But how come that this happened? Rare is a huge studio aren't they? I wonder what the reason is why it took them so long. Back in the N64 days with Banjo, Goldeneye etc, was it the same in that aspect?

That's exactly the problem. No game should take that long and only offer bare bone content. If the game took 1-2 years, I would have understand. Rare needs a new lead direction, I wouldn't be surprise to hear changes happening at Rare.

Especially with MS being serious with every studio going forward.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
It works exactly like a purchased digital game. If you set the console as your home console and sub to game pass then your kids can play any game pass games (except where parental controls prevent it) without needing you to sign in your gamertag. If its not the home console then your gamertag would need to be signed in at the same time as theirs in order to play game pass games.

I feel like I tried this when Game Pass launched and it didn't work like game sharing. My sons X is my home Xbox and both EA Access and Game Pass need(ed) their own subscriptions for him to be able to play any of the games associated with the respective subscriptions.

Oct 26, 2017
Have you even watched TGA? You cant do a proper in-depth gameplay video there lol ... The format of the show doesn't fit to that kind of showing. They could've done another campaign trailer - but you got that at E3 2018 already, so that would've been not good either. You saw campaign. You saw multiplayer. They will go in-depth soon enough.

Yeah that's true, I take that back. None of the reveals were very long but instead of that Terry Crews promo video they could have shown another SP combined with some MP trailer. I really just want to see more of the campaign. Even the E3 video was just too short. Why don't they just take some time for it and show some exploration around the city, the new features etc? A new Halo sure wouldn't get just a short trailer with gameplay thrown in there. A new Halo gets a proper showing of a level or a part of it. And they do want to place Crackdown next to a Halo....

I just think they could and should do a better job of marketing it, especially if it's that important to them.

That's exactly the problem. No game should take that long and only offer bare bone content. If the game took 1-2 years, I would have understand. Rare needs a new lead direction, I wouldn't be surprise to hear changes happening at Rare.

It could mean a promising future for the studio and us gamers, some real changes. I'm not entirely sure but I do recall that Rare always took quite long to make a game. Wasn't that one of the reasons that Nintendo was ok with MS acquiring Rare?

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There really, really isn't. We Happy Few has fundamental problems that the only solution would be redoing the game from scratch.

The world/story are pretty cool, though. I want to see what Compulsion can do without having to worry with resources from day 1.

This reads as an uncharitable take considering the game nails most of the more difficult aspects of its genre.

The game's #1 lacking is polish. The budget constraints present themselves plain as day when you play it.

I see no reason whatsoever to redo the game from scratch, not that I have any considerable understanding of how programming actually works, but that would appear to me an extreme take on what's wrong with the game as it is presently construed.

Last edited:

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
I feel like I tried this when Game Pass launched and it didn't work like game sharing. My sons X is my home Xbox and both EA Access and Game Pass need(ed) their own subscriptions for him to be able to play any of the games associated with the respective subscriptions.
This is not true. Family sharing across two consoles works just like purchased games.

I have been playing MCC/SoT and Forza Horizon 4 with my son using game pass and FIFA using EA Access. No issues at all.

Single GP/Access sub to main account. Sons Xbox set to home console with him signed in. Main account signed in on another Xbox. Works fine.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Until they add a single player narrative I think I'll just steer clear of Sea of Thieves. I play games to get away from people, not interact with them. Lol

I'm also not a fan of releasing a half finished game with the promise of updating it in the future. If you want to add content post launch, that's fine. Do that. But the base game should still include more than enough content to satiate people. It's why I won't support games like No Man's Sky or Rainbow Six Siege.

I agree completely, but I'd be fine playing one with others so long as it's actually engaging, a lively world and filled with things to do. RDR2 is the real GotY for its SP portion but so far its MP is so damn boring and stale I stopped playing it and I have been singing that games praises from the mountain tops. I'm not about to keep playing a game where I have to try hard to create my own excitement for it as there is none present.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Nuts and Bolts is the example of a game that came out at the wrong time. I can see it being successful in a post-Minecraft gaming world, possibly alongside the promise of a proper Banjo-Threeie. Final Fantasy XIII is a similair case. Many people enjoy its linearity much more now than a generation ago.

I think if it had a bit better execution it could have been credited with ushering in the minecraft world.

1) I think the first mistake is it was wrapped in a Banjo Kazooie theme. People associated that with platforming and were disappointed to find that the franchise was taking a different direction.

2) I think it took too long to become clear what the core motivation was supposed to be. The intro was painfully long, and the various "collectathon" progression necessities made the tutorial overwhelming. If it wasn't for my 3 year old begging me to play fuzzy bear game I would have quit before it got fun.

3) the menu based building system is too complex. They really could have used a more streamlined UX.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018
I think Spencer even knows that. Going forward, Rare prob wont have big projects. Unless the house changes with new blood in the office.
Which doesn't make any sense because the studio is almost doubling its size. Craig Duncan looks in good relationship with Booty and Spencer
This is reads as an uncharitable take considering the game nails most of the more difficult aspects of its genre.

The game's #1 lacking is polish. The budget constraints present themselves plain as day when you play it.

I see no reason whatsoever to redo the game from scratch, not that I have any considerable understanding of how programming actually works, but that would appear to me an extreme take on what's wrong with the game as it is presently construed.
Basically the game passed from being a procedural survival to evolving in an immersive sim trying to create a campaign when gearbox stepped in.
Basically two games merged.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

Yep. This is what I was saying some pages back. They just aren't cutting it sadly.

This should be pretty cool

Definitely watching this. Thanks for sharing it. :)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Speaking of Gearbox publishing WHF...
We've said before that it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to purchase publishers. Does Gearbox really count? They've only published a few smaller games.

With Klobrille's "bigger and smaller" talks, Gearbox falls into one of my "bigger" suspects. Might explain why Borderlands has continued to no-show.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Speaking of Gearbox publishing WHF...
We've said before that it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to purchase publishers. Does Gearbox really count? They've only published a few smaller games.

With Klobrille's "bigger and smaller" talks, Gearbox falls into one of my "bigger" suspects. Might explain why Borderlands has continued to no-show.
I really can't stand gearbox. Randy(ceo) has done some seriously shady stuff. I was surprised they didn't get shut down after alien colonial marines. Worst case of bait n switch I've ever experienced.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
I didn't mention that you need to go through the Xbox store to download EA Access Vault games and Game Pass games (will just give an option to install). Don't use the game pass tab, the ea access app, or the ready to install list since it will tell you that your are not sub'd. EA Access trials will not work only EA vault games.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Sticky post material!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I really can't stand gearbox. Randy(ceo) has done some seriously shady stuff. I was surprised they didn't get shut down after alien colonial marines. Worst case of bait n switch I've ever experienced.

Yeah the story doesn't sound good. Has the full story ever been revealed?

I feel like Gearbox is in a desperate situation. There was the Alien Colonial Marines debacle in which they still haven't settled like Sega did. Battleborn was a commercial disaster. Their publishing effort if We Happy Few doesn't appear to have worked out.

Yet...it is a talented studio. Borderlands was a trailblazer. I feel like it set the template for Destiny and other cooperative shooters. If Spencer wants a make-up for losing Bungie and Destiny, that could be it.

They're also in Texas...

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory are now at 135 on Linkedin.

I recall them barely being at a 100 around the time they were acquired.

Is that accurate?

Oct 25, 2017
This reads as an uncharitable take considering the game nails most of the more difficult aspects of its genre.

It's not only polish. It has severe structural issues that hurts (deeply) it's pacing and story. The combat also is really bad. It's obvious that these issues stem from the game's initial budget, but they are there nonetheless. I don't see how only polish will fix the game.

Have you actually played it?

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I actually really enjoyed We Happy Few. Outside of the obvious technical issues (no idea if that's been fixed since launch?), it was one of my favorite games of the year. Surprised me. To each their own though, different tastes and all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.