• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Throwing people and money into a studio is not gonna help every studio. Playdead is a special studio imo. Ive never heard about them having financial issues and more people may cause problems considering how much time they use to research and find what they want to make next.

Like one of the founders left in 2015 due to a a disagree with the vision of the future for the studio. If MS throws more people into Playdead it can cause rifts and conflicts in the vision of the studio, which is what happened in 2015.

Every Studio has different strengths and weaknesses. If Playdead is suffering in one area, MS would step in to assist in development in said area.

Again, this is all hypothetical. Every case is unique.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Studio has different strengths and weaknesses. If Playdead is suffering in one area, MS would step in to assist in development in said area.

Again, this is all hypothetical. Every case is unique.

Their weakness seems to be that they use very long time to make a game, but that can also be seen as a strength, because it means they actually can use very long time to make a game, they don't have to rush.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I'll just post what I replied on Twitter:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Microsoft didn't buy Senua? Senua was and still is a separate company owned by Nina and Tamim. They still have 50-50 ownership. Their recent account also make it look like they haven't been paid for anything over the last year.

not sure about the exact ownership?, one thing is for sure MGS will have access and will leverage if needed.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you that haven't played Pillars of Eternity.

This IP shouldn't go away. The lore and the stories are fascinating. I hope to see it continue, whether as an isometric RPG, card game, or if might dare to dream, as a full blown RPG akin to Elder Scrolls.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'll just post what I replied on Twitter:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Microsoft didn't buy Senua? Senua was and still is a separate company owned by Nina and Tamim. They still have 50-50 ownership. Their recent account also make it look like they haven't been paid for anything over the last year.

Their website lists copyright to Ninja Theory and the press release announced Senua Studios as a new division of NT. I think Microsoft now owns it but am not 100% certain.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
For those of you that haven't played Pillars of Eternity.

This IP shouldn't go away. The lore and the stories are fascinating. I hope to see it continue, whether as an isometric RPG, card game, or if might dare to dream, as a full blown RPG akin to Elder Scrolls.

I hope it stays too. One of the best aspects of all of these devs being under the same banner is the potential for IP sharing. Given that Obsidian is pretty busy for the near future with Outer Worlds, sequels to Outer Worlds and the mysterious AAA microsoft project, I think they will not have time.

However, that doesn't mean Ninja Theory, Playground or especially InXile can't take a crack at a new POE game.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

It's a great point to emphasize and one of the aspects of these studio buyouts that I thought was most underrated. Out of all the major publishers, the animations in Microsoft's exclusives have felt the most underwhelming. NT have some magical animation powers for a studio their size. Looking forward to see their techniques and knowledge spread.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
It's a great point to emphasize and one of the aspects of these studio buyouts that I thought was most underrated. Out of all the major publishers, the animations in Microsoft's exclusives have felt the most underwhelming. NT have some magical animation powers for a studio their size. Looking forward to see their techniques and knowledge spread.

Senua studio would be a massive asset for all devs going forward, especially Coalition and Initiative.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

agree

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think Klo and everyone in here is over estimating how big and how active Senua is.

I don't think it's the size that's as important as their knowledge. What NT did was incredibly efficient cost wise and produced amazing results. The fact that they produced their results with such a small team is what is most interesting. Anyone should have respectable animations with a bottomless budget and resources. Hellblades animations were impressive stacked up to AAA studios. It's reasonable to assume they'd be willing to share their knowledge and techniques.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Halo stream was such a great and informative watch.

The full stream on demand is here: https://mixer.com/Halo?vod=71204529 if they missed it live.

some gifs from the main resetera halo stream thread

b73Xfce.gif

kOLqnZm.gif

Vwc6Xlb.gif

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
I am still advocating for Playdead (Limbo, INSIDE), they make critically acclaimed games and have had a long relationship with Xbox.
More Likely (IMO):
Armature
Housemarque
Quantic Dream
The Behemoth

Less Likely, But Dream-Worthy (IMO):
Supergiant Games
Playdead
Platinum Games
White Owls Inc.
Grounding Inc.
Mistwalker
JP Games

Confirmed No (Who Know's if This Will Ever Change):
Moon Studios
Studio MDHR
Playful Corp.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
More Likely (IMO):
Armature
Housemarque
Quantic Dream
The Behemoth

Less Likely, But Dream-Worthy (IMO):
Supergiant Games
Playdead
Platinum Games
White Owls Inc.
Grounding Inc.
Mistwalker
JP Games

Confirmed No (Who Know's if This Will Ever Change):
Moon Studios
Studio MDHR
Playful Corp.

Great list. Not sure about Platinum after Scalebound but time heals all wounds. Obsidian would not have wanted to be acquired otherwise.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Not sure about Platinum after Scalebound but time heals all wounds. Obsidian would not have wanted to be acquired otherwise.
Obsidian's scenario showed that everything is possible. They worked with Microsoft on new original IP which was cancelled. Also, Obsidian openly said they were open to be acquired (September 2017).

I don't know how PlatinumGames situation looks like now. It could be great addition to the Microsoft Studios' family. However, we don't realy know if they want to be sold-off. Also, Scalebound is only one game in their history, if checked this good, which was cancelled. Of course, delaying even until 2019/2020 would be much better than this. But… It happened. There is no point to go back again with that story.

Another thing is more important than just buy something. Microsoft and their managers have to really learn and understand Japanese approach to the business and culture in this country. It's quite different. This is very modern country which is looking so far in the future with everything but also this is very conservative country with their rules and habits. If Microsoft would like to look at Japan as on another column in Excel, as they looked in the past for sure, that's really wrong. SEGA is a great example. Ex-American company which is doing well in Japan now. Microsoft shouldn't think only about money and income if they really want to hit Country of the Rising Sun and reach some success. I know, this is important. But there are some more important things in their culture. If they would hire good managers who understand that marketplace and Microsoft will respect that, they could do something good. And at the end… I don't think that Japanese company like that would be sold by American one.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
You called Playdead but Jumpship could also be a good buy
Everything could be a good buy. Thing is what is the really point and potential. There is no problem with buying something. They have to know how to use them properly. Especially Microsoft knows that. Nokia is ideal example of rubbish management. It's easy to buy. It's much harder to work out that.

They have to be careful with their shopping list.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I'm sorry but Inside is a snoozefest, just another one of those fancy artsty hipster games like Journey...bleh...

BTW I believe that Pillars of Eternity is owned by Feargus seperate company (forgot the name) but it wouldn't surprise me if MS bankrolls Pillars 3 for Game Pass

I really think Microsoft bought Obsidian to make up for losing Bioware a decade ago. What a kick to the balls that was. I don't why MS didn't buy Bioware back then.

I really believe Obsidian can be a CDPR/Classic Bethesda/Classic Bioware level studio with the right funding and not having to worry about making payroll

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
BTW on Dealer Gaming (well known insider) podcast, Rand al Thor 19 said that Obsidian showed Microsoft a project aside Outer Worlds and it was the project that really made Microsoft buy Obsidian, so I wonder if will see that at E3

Otherwise I expect Gears 5, Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 to all get time at E3.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Another studio I just thought about..... Giant Squid Studios.
Known for having crew that worked on Journey. They released Abzu and are currently working on The Pathless.

BTW on Dealer Gaming (well known insider) podcast, Rand al Thor 19 said that Obsidian showed Microsoft a project aside Outer Worlds and it was the project that really made Microsoft buy Obsidian, so I wonder if will see that at E3

So same thing as inXile? Because they also had another secret project that Microsoft seemed interested in. Is there any chance the two might be getting confused? Otherwise I'm pumped to see what these projects may be!

EDIT: For quote and second 'n' in "Known"

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but Inside is a snoozefest, just another one of those fancy artsty hipster games like Journey...bleh...

BTW I believe that Pillars of Eternity is owned by Feargus seperate company (forgot the name) but it wouldn't surprise me if MS bankrolls Pillars 3 for Game Pass

I really think Microsoft bought Obsidian to make up for losing Bioware a decade ago. What a kick to the balls that was. I don't why MS didn't buy Bioware back then.

I really believe Obsidian can be a CDPR/Classic Bethesda/Classic Bioware level studio with the right funding and not having to worry about making payroll
Inside is great. But whether you liked it or not, you can at least agree they executed their vision at a high level which is what I want studios to output. One of the biggest problems MGS has had this generation is mediocre execution.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

I believe that company recently got folded back into Obsidian. There's no way MS Lawyers overlooked that detail when they were negotiating Obsidian's acquisition. MS definitely owns the Pillars IP.

Nov 12, 2017
For marketing purposes, they'll need to make a distinction, but for games that run on both X1/S/X and Scarlett, I doubt there will be any difference in the product you buy.

Not like at the beginning of this gen where we had 360 versions of games and X1 versions of the same games that weren't the same game under the hood. This time it'll be one code base that runs in both places and just adjusts graphics settings accordingly, just like we already have on the X1 and X1X.
You will just stream x2 games on base x1 console...
If it would be like you say ps5 games will look looots better than Scarlett games ...
A 12 or more teraflop console with a ryzen tied to a 1.3 tf with a jaguar cpu ...it would be the worst thing it could happen

And no the scenario xbs and xbx is a different one ..those are enhancements of the same game

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Within the past year or two, someone from Xbox (or at least formerly) was interviewed and the Bioware discussion came up. Microsoft did attempt to acquire Bioware, but for some reason they didn't accept it. Not sure if EA was just offering a sweeter deal or what.

Putfire

May 12, 2018
About Bungie. I do not know much what happened then, but would not it be more advantageous for Microsoft to keep Bungie as a first party studio and release the studio to produce things out of Halo and create the 343i to focus on Halo as it currently is?
I can not understand why they released the studio to be independent, Destiny is exactly what Microsoft was looking for in the old Xbox view.

Oct 26, 2018
Just seen the adaptive controller commercial on TV for the first time..... I shed a tear ( BT that could've been because I'm eating Buffalo chicken and the heat making my eyes water)

Jun 22, 2018
You will just stream x2 games on base x1 console...
If it would be like you say ps5 games will look looots better than Scarlett games ...
A 12 or more teraflop console with a ryzen tied to a 1.3 tf with a jaguar cpu ...it would be the worst thing it could happen

And no the scenario xbs and xbx is a different one ..those are enhancements of the same game
Those X enhancements are just changes in graphics settings. Like a game running on a fast computer instead of a slow one.

A game running on Scarlett would just have even higher settings (assuming the game can run at all on the X1/S/X). It's exactly the same way PC gaming is done.

As I stated above, it would just mean that some games would be restricted as Scarlett only, just like minimum system requirements on PC.

Not all games next gen are going to be beyond what the X1/S/X can run, just like many games this gen could run fine on the 360.

This isn't the traditional way console gens have worked, but that old approach to gens is outdated and there's absolutely no good reason for it. Every other software ecosystem has evolved. The Xbox ecosystem is going to finally evolve too.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Within the past year or two, someone from Xbox (or at least formerly) was interviewed and the Bioware discussion came up. Microsoft did attempt to acquire Bioware, but for some reason they didn't accept it. Not sure if EA was just offering a sweeter deal or what.

If you're referring to the Shane Kim interview, that was from a decade ago (although I posted it on Reddit a few months back!). Bioware wanted to be independent.

EA's acquisition of Bioware/Pandemic was fairly shady. Bioware and Pandemic joined together under the same holding company in an effort to keep their independence around 2005. They didn't mind working with pubs like THQ or Microsoft, just wanted to be independent. At the time John Riccitiello (former EA CEO) was their CEO. In 2007 John left the company to rejoin EA as the new CEO. EA bought their holding company soon afterwards.

Then Pandemic was shut down in 2009 (although their failed development of a rushed Batman game is part of it for sure) and EA continue to not utilize their IP. Only thing EA has done that's irritated me.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018
So Ori and the Blind Forest isn't x enhanced?
No, it wasn't built for 4K and scaling their assets that targeted 1080p wouldn't really improve the look of anything. It's not like a 3D game where you can just real time render at a higher resolution and improve edges and things.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is targeting 4K, though, and will be X enhanced.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
No, it wasn't built for 4K and scaling their assets that targeted 1080p wouldn't really improve the look of anything. It's not like a 3D game where you can just real time render at a higher resolution and improve edges and things.

I know about the will of the wisps, but I didn't the blind forest wasn't x enhanced.

Nov 12, 2017
Those X enhancements are just changes in graphics settings. Like a game running on a fast computer instead of a slow one.

A game running on Scarlett would just have even higher settings (assuming the game can run at all on the X1/S/X). It's exactly the same way PC gaming is done.

As I stated above, it would just mean that some games would be restricted as Scarlett only, just like minimum system requirements on PC.

Not all games next gen are going to be beyond what the X1/S/X can run, just like many games this gen could run fine on the 360.

This isn't the traditional way console gens have worked, but that old approach to gens is outdated and there's absolutely no good reason for it. Every other software ecosystem has evolved. The Xbox ecosystem is going to finally evolve too.
I did understand what you mean but develop a game that scale itself the number of trees/NPCs/objects ...and again scale down physics lighting ecc ecc? Theres no way IMHO
One think is to enhanche resolution....textures ..filters, Shadow and aa....is ok to have more foliage ecc ecc but what I wrote is very different and would cause an "infinite" headache to developers
It doesn't happen either on pc

Jun 22, 2018
I did understand what you mean but develop a game that scale itself the number of trees/NPCs/objects ...and again scale down physics lighting ecc ecc? Theres no way IMHO
One think is to enhanche resolution....textures ..filters, Shadow and aa....is ok to have more foliage ecc ecc but what I wrote is very different and would cause an "infinite" headache to developers
It doesn't happen either on pc
That's why I said games will have minimum hardware requirements, just like on PC. So a game that simply couldn't run on the old hardware won't run on the old hardware.

It'll be a long time before it's super common for a game to be entirely out of reach for the old hardware, though. Even many AA or Indie games released this year could have run ok on the 360 and we are 5 years into this gen. But those games aren't being put on 360 because it's a completely different ecosystem and too much work.

The issue is not everyone upgrades right at launch. So, there are potential customers they'd miss out on if they could release across more hardware versions.

Keeping X1/S/X/Scarlett as a single ecosystem, like PC or mobile, would allow devs who don't need the power of Scarlett to target the whole range of hardware with a single application code base.

This makes it easier for those devs to have a larger potential customer base for next to zero extra work.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Trouble is we have some very crafty stealth trolls who know how to just slide on by. The interesting thing is how relentless some of them are and they refuse to move on. I have 2 on my ignore list that did this daily and I bet they are still doing it daily. It's just not worth lowering yourself to their level because all you're doing is making things worse. Some see Microsoft's entry into this market as 3's a crowd and took it personal from day one. There are critics who just want them to do better and then there are critics who want them gone but try and hide it with their concern trolling.

At the end of the day it's about a growing market that remains healthy and sustainable with options out there.

I'd be interested in knowing who the two you ignored are to keep an eye out for their nonsense (maybe through PM) but I agree with you here. I remember the sentiments when news first broke of MS entering the console market. It was negative from console warriors from day one. Gamefaqs back in those days of the late OG Xbox and start of the Xbox 360 was a constant warzone.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
The Coalition - Not very creative, but I want a Gears of War Run N' Gun game ala Contra.
Ninja Theory - An open world Action game with either Blade (Marvel) or Van Helsing IP, gameplay wise definitely inspired by DmC.
Obsidian - An isometric Feudal Japan Fantasy Action RPG, game design wise build upon what they had with Dungeon Siege 3.
InXile Ent. - A 3rd person Sci-Fantasy action game (using the Gears meets Diablo approach of Hunted), art direction inspired by Tides of Numenera.
Compulsion Games - A twisted fantasy like immersive sim; gameplay like Deus Ex and art direction inspired by Michael Cheval.
Undead Labs - A SoD-style action survival game set in space with a strong horror slant; I am thinking literally State of Decay meets Dead Space.

The oldschool gamer in me loves the Contra styled GoW idea with Coalition. NT would do wonders with both, I agree. I'm not big on isometric games but I was wrong about turn based tactical games not being for me so who knows with the Obsidian idea? It could be great and I love the setting. I like the InXile and Compulsion ideas. Both sound interesting.

But I really like the Undead Labs idea the most. Not only should that be in their wheelhouse, but with the proper backing of MS and their tools, I could see a really solid game in that style.

Gears Xcom style aims 2019 launch?

I'm on a turn based, tactical gaming high right now so I'm 100% down for this. My only point of contention would be the often less than cinematic presentation with them and their cutscenes, if they even bother with them. So if they made one in that style but gave the cutscenes the Halo Wars treatment with solid voice acting and all I could see a quality franchise spin-off there.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About Bungie. I do not know much what happened then, but would not it be more advantageous for Microsoft to keep Bungie as a first party studio and release the studio to produce things out of Halo and create the 343i to focus on Halo as it currently is?
I can not understand why they released the studio to be independent, Destiny is exactly what Microsoft was looking for in the old Xbox view.

Bungie wanted to go independent no matter what. The idea that big bad Microsoft had them slaving away in their basement was never accurate.

Bungie were given, from what I understand, multiple opportunities to try new IP and nothing worked out.

Halo had garnered them lot of cash and fan support that would follow them wherever, so there really wasn't much MS could do when they wanted out. Perhaps they could have played hardball and told them to leave Bungie if they wanted to and start their own company again from the ground up, that's what I would have done in their shoes, but who knows how it all really went down?

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
If you're referring to the Shane Kim interview, that was from a decade ago (although I posted it on Reddit a few months back!). Bioware wanted to be independent.

EA's acquisition of Bioware/Pandemic was fairly shady. Bioware and Pandemic joined together under the same holding company in an effort to keep their independence around 2005. They didn't mind working with pubs like THQ or Microsoft, just wanted to be independent. At the time John Riccitiello (former EA CEO) was their CEO. In 2007 John left the company to rejoin EA as the new CEO. EA bought their holding company soon afterwards.

Then Pandemic was shut down in 2009 (although their failed development of a rushed Batman game is part of it for sure) and EA continue to not utilize their IP. Only thing EA has done that's irritated me.

Okay... that's an ~interesting~ perspective.

Here's what I heard from a Bioware employee back in the day: Bioware wanted to be acquired but no one was biting, so they joined into a partnership with Pandemic (that's the holding company) and basically threw Pandemic under the bus to get themselves sold to EA. Bioware destroyed Pandemic because the doctors wanted a payout. I believe this was corroborated by a Pandemic employee at the time as well, but this is literally like a ten year old discussion I'm remembering.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Supermassive would be great. As for Turtle Rock, I would love to see it but am also skeptical. Evolve really burned them on publishers and they already split from Valve.

Evolve's biggest issue was the publisher. It had the most nonsensical monetization scheme I've seen all generation. I'm not sure how anyone at 2k thought enough players would see value in that scheme to promote a healthy MP game.

I can't imagibe that any potential buyers wouldn't see things the same way.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I believe that company recently got folded back into Obsidian. There's no way MS Lawyers overlooked that detail when they were negotiating Obsidian's acquisition. MS definitely owns the Pillars IP.
Are we sure about that?

https://trademarks.justia.com/864/83/pillars-of-86483177.html

Right now its listed under Dark Rock Industries. Is this maybe just outdated and takes time to update?

Is Microsoft going to own Senua as well? I imagine MS lawyers would of wanted that to be included too.

Gross, God I hope not, Quantic Dream and Remedy are the 2 studios that I hope MS doesn't acquire.

but would not it be more advantageous for Microsoft to keep Bungie as a first party studio and release the studio to produce things out of Halo and create the 343i to focus on Halo as it currently is?
From what I understand most of the senior management at Bungie were ready to quit if MS didn't agree to the split. Anyway we look at it, Halo was no longer going to be a system seller because even if Bungie stayed with MS and they were forced to continue making Halo, the quality of the games would of probably dropped.

Hell look at Bungie now, they're a shell of their former self. This is what Microsoft would of been stuck with now.

It actually worked out in MS favor, they got equity in Bungie, probably made a ton of cash off Destiny. Not as much as Activision did but Activision also foot the 500 million dollar development cost and advertising for the game. They made money off of it and didn't have to pay a dime for it.

Most importantly they got to keep the Halo IP. In hindsight letting Bungie split was probably for the best.

And it will look orgasmic

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Evolve's biggest issue was the publisher. It had the most nonsensical monetization scheme I've seen all generation. I'm not sure how anyone at 2k thought enough players would see value in that scheme to promote a healthy MP game.

I can't imagibe that any potential buyers wouldn't see things the same way.

That and Evolve was fairly boring, cool concept.
But these guys know 4 player co op well. Letting them work with 343i and make a 4 Player ODST co op game ala Republic Commando would be nuts.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm not sure where but I once read an interview that the reason was because Bioware wanted to make an MMO and however where to buy them would have to let then develop said MMO. They also wanted a minimum 100mi budget to do it. Ms was over the mmo craze and denied it, EA accepted it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I remember that single month of "the three Bs" was the biggest Microsoft first party fuck-up of all time: they lost Bungie to "independence", Bioware to EA and Bizarre Creations to Activision all within a few weeks.

The $1b they had to reserve to cover the RROD debacle clearly had a massive impact on the first party budget, as it very obviously dropped at that point - and it certainly would have been bad timing to ask for some additional cash to buy out a developer like Bioware.

Status
Not open for further replies.