• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
First time I've seen a billboard advertising Game Pass, prime location in Glasgow for footfall too.

20181213-132925.jpg
That's way too much text to put on a billboard. Even the image is pretty busy. Should just be a simple, eye catching visual with a short tag line that sparks interest.

Aug 26, 2018
Ive said it before, but I would prefer a new IP over Fable. I know Fable has a lot of fans, but im not big on that franchise. If it gets a reboot, i want significant changes, but that may be me being unfair to fans of Fale.

It can be a God of War esque reboot. After playing GOW Ascension, I thought I would never play another GOW game but I was wrong.

Fable could be like that!

Aug 26, 2018

I loved the stream and kind of didn't like it.

When you breakdown a beautiful trailer with 'We wanted gamers to feel Nostalgia+Hope' etc. etc. It kind of felt too technical, like breaking down emotions sometimes but the videos he showed were the COOLEST.

One thing 343 cannot underestimate is 'FUN'. PUBG had no right to be on top as long as it was, I think because it was so much FUN. Bungie's Halo games always had that feeling ( except Reach & ODST where it was too dark and grim).

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It can be a God of War esque reboot. After playing GOW Ascension, I thought I would never play another GOW game but I was wrong.

I was never a fan of the original God of War trilogy, though I played all of them including Ascension. Loved the new one, so I would be ok with them taking that route, but here is the thing; Kratos is God of War so even if the formula changes, its still about Kratos.

With Fable, you dont have a defined character, so would it just be the name Fable? I get that its a popular franchise, so by keeping the name it makes it immediately recognizable, and that is all fine too. Just saying that God of War and Fable are different because of this.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

I think the difference is that God of War fans were burned out on the franchise. They were tired of the over-the-top hack and slash. They wanted something new. Fable fans miss the days of yore. Because they haven't gotten a proper Fable game in so long, they want the franchise to instead go back to its roots. I don't know that a total Fable overhaul would be met with the same praise God of War was.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
What if ms went after a studio that works only with Nintendo like intelligent systems

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Systems

Fire Emblem is a very messy IP in terms of ownership, I don't see Microsoft biting. Besides, I love the older FE games and while Awakening and Fates left a lot to be desired, Echoes and Three Houses seem to be course corrections. I can't say I trust the IP in anyone else's hands... maybe Shouzou Kaga's (the original creator).

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Undead Labs - A SoD-style action survival game set in space with a strong horror slant; I am thinking literally State of Decay meets Dead Space.

Undead Labs becoming a horror based studio and pursuing games like the Evil Within 2 and Dead Space but with State of Decay inspired twists on gameplay would be interesting. Though i really just want all of their studios to run wild with whatever big dream their creators have been holding onto.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Red Dead 2, I'm not convinced I need missions popping up every 10 feet. My favorite parts of that game were those where I just rode my horse around the world, sitting in the silence. It was very moody and helped establish the tone of the game. I'm also in favor of a darker, more mature Fable game. The fart jokes never landed with me.
Eh. I'm not too hot on the fart humour either.

Luckily the Fable aesthetic is about a lot more than fart jokes, so they can remove or reduce the fart jokes while still keeping true to the whimsical nature of the Fable series. :)

As for your point about too many missions I don't disagree with you. I just don't want huge open spaces for the sake of having huge open spaces.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's way too much text to put on a billboard. Even the image is pretty busy. Should just be a simple, eye catching visual with a short tag line that sparks interest.

You can't see it but just behind me is a set of traffic lights and that junction just beside the Hydro is mobbed, like all the time. People will be in there cars just staring at it whilst they wait for the lights to turn, plus you have the footfall of people going to the Hydro, SEC, Science Centre. Its a really busy bit of town and it'll have plenty of eyeballs on it.

Edit, I should add that it a digital board that updates in real time. You text the code displayed and you can win three months if Game Pass. The code changes every thirty minutes.

Oct 26, 2018
The only thing I never liked about fable was the artstyle..... They can still make fable a light hearted adventure RPG game ( like how skies of Arcadia is considered a blue sky RPG because it doesn't have that dark desolate world) but with a more realistic graphics

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I wish ms would go buy that ip or at least make it a 3rd party exclusive
I think there is a great opportunity to tap into the rich asian history/mythology/lore/legends/etc. I felt like jade empire did it a little for me i wanted more! lol. ...but Asia covers a lot of cultures so i guess i would want more of the Chinese, Mongol, Korean, japanese, tibetan, southeast asia and etc.

Jun 22, 2018
The only thing I never liked about fable was the artstyle..... They can still make fable a light hearted adventure RPG game ( like how skies of Arcadia is considered a blue sky RPG because it doesn't have that dark desolate world) but with a more realistic graphics
I prefer the slightly cartoony graphics with exaggerated colors and such. Personally, I thought the art style for Fable Legends was fantastic and I hope they go with something along those lines.

Oct 26, 2018
I think there is a great opportunity to tap into the rich asian history/mythology/lore/legends/etc. I felt like jade empire did it a little for me i wanted more! lol. ...but Asia covers a lot of cultures so i guess i would want more of the Chinese, Mongol, Korean, japanese, tibetan, southeast asia and etc.
I feel it had franchise potential bt it's probably dead, EA probably doesn't see it as a money maker

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Ive said it before, but I would prefer a new IP over Fable. I know Fable has a lot of fans, but im not big on that franchise. If it gets a reboot, i want significant changes, but that may be me being unfair to fans of Fale.
I feel the same. Honestly I'd prefer a Prey situation where the only thing they keep is the name. I was never a fan of Fable's obsession with Sims crap. But like you said that's sort of unfair to Fable fans. If Playground is making a Fable I hope it's bevause they want to, and not because MS forced them to use the Fable name for an RPG they were making like Bethesda did to Arkane with Prey.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
I love Fable and am therefore biased, but Fable needs to return. I'm open to them taking the series in a semi-different direction though.

This is how I would pitch "Fable Next / IV":
I mostly agree. Story-wise I'm conflicted honestly to if they should reset Fable 1 - 3 (definitely keep most if not all before Fable 1 when it comes to lore). I think it would be best if they have the first or even the first two Fable games in Albion, but as you said, move on after. And yes, move to different countries (there's a lot of them including very interesting ones) so they don't always have to time jump so much. I do like how your characters in Fable 1 - 3 were part of the Old Kingdom bloodline and descendants of William Black and I would like that to stay the same. Have it to where in the first game you're an ancestor of the Fable 1 - 3 bloodline, but in PG's second Fable, that path diverges and it'll be PG's bloodline if you will.

Preferably, what would be best if you ask me, is have the first PG Fable game be a prequel of sorts set 300 years before Fable 1 a bit after the founding of the Temple of Avo and Skorn. Have that one set in Albion, and have a big focus on the Heroes Guild as that has a lot of potential and should stay in Fable rather than go (would work perfectly for co-op as other players could just be seen as fellow students). Possibly have the second one set in Albion too, but jump forward a bit where you play as the child of your previous character. After that, they could keep jumping forward in time 30 - 40 years (which would give them a lot of sequels before Fable 1 even comes around), but move to other countries (as a child or grandchild of your previous character of course). Fable 2 is when it starts to get a bit of where I hate it (not nearly as bad as 3 though), but they still have several hundred years till that point, and even if they get passed Fable 1's timeline, they could still have the Heroes Guild in other countries (where magic isn't as diluted or something). It might sound harsh, but I'm glad Lionhead's vision of Fable 4 never happened (they ruined Fable by making it less of that high fantasy each and every game). By Fable 6 it would have been in space and might as well be called Fable: Infinite.

If they do completely reboot the story, make Jack of Blades as the villain again, but change things up quite a bit and make it diverge to where Fable 2 and Fable 3 don't happen (so even if every game jumps forward 100 years, by the 9th game it'll still be the same fantasy mostly). I love Fable 2 a lot, but there's quite a bit I disliked about it too. As for Open World, make Albion either seamless and huge, or several Witcher 3-sized hubs (2 or 3 of them individually were bigger than Skyrim). All of them don't have to be that big, and neither do I expect that, but make each a good size, where you can ride your horse freely. Fable 3 had 16 regions, so in PG's Fable, they could combine some regions like the few Bowerstone regions and make that area like Novigrad in size (City and region).

Additionally, one thing I really hope for is character customization. I always thought that should be in but they never included it unfortunately. Fable has always had great simulation elements and they really need to keep a lot of that to stay as Fable and be unique. I don't want just another Open World RPG, I want something unique and Fable can give us that. I have no issue if PG wants to bring in a lot of what they would have done with that other IP to evolve the franchise (unless it doesn't make sense for Fable).

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Fable reboot is inspired by Horizon Zero Dawn.

I don't think there's anyone high up at MS that thinks Fable can just reboot as it was under a new studio.

Playground is a very different studio from Lionhead with their own culture. I don't think they'd lean into the sim stuff or the crude humour or that that's even expected of them.

I would recommend waiting until we saw something first before getting concerned.

Jun 22, 2018

I don't think there's anyone high up at MS that thinks Fable can just reboot as it was under a new studio.

Playground is a very different studio from Lionhead with their own culture. I don't think they'd lean into the sim stuff or the crude humour or that that's even expected of them.

I would recommend waiting until we saw something first before getting concerned.
To me the sim stuff and the humor style was what made Fable unique. If they drop that stuff we may end up just another generic fantasy RPG.

Like you said, no sense in getting concerned until we know something about the project, but I really hope they do keep that stuff and even improve on it.

Nov 12, 2017
I'm sorry for being the bringer of bad news then, but we already know xCloud will use the internal components of a One S (afterall, for tablet/smartphone you don't really need more than 720-1080 since their size gives them a good pixel density at those definitions and most smartphone screens are of those definitions so no sense going for more.)

That means that either next-gen games will be able to be scaled down to be played on an S, or xCloud will only feature Xbox One (and previous gens) games, wich doesn't really makes sense if you want people to be excited about the prospect of playing the latest games on the go and thus subscribe to the service
The s as the xcloud Will "stream" next gen games yeah you can't scale down everything ...I'm sorry

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sorry for being the bringer of bad news then, but we already know xCloud will use the internal components of a One S (afterall, for tablet/smartphone you don't really need more than 720-1080 since their size gives them a good pixel density at those definitions and most smartphone screens are of those definitions so no sense going for more.)

That means that either next-gen games will be able to be scaled down to be played on an S, or xCloud will only feature Xbox One (and previous gens) games, wich doesn't really makes sense if you want people to be excited about the prospect of playing the latest games on the go and thus subscribe to the service
For now.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly agree. Story-wise I'm conflicted honestly to if they should reset Fable 1 - 3 (definitely keep most if not all before Fable 1 when it comes to lore). I think it would be best if they have the first or even the first two Fable games in Albion, but as you said, move on after. And yes, move to different countries (there's a lot of them including very interesting ones) so they don't always have to time jump so much. I do like how your characters in Fable 1 - 3 were part of the Old Kingdom bloodline and descendants of William Black and I would like that to stay the same. Have it to where in the first game you're an ancestor of the Fable 1 - 3 bloodline, but in PG's second Fable, that path diverges and it'll be PG's bloodline if you will.
Ooh! I like your idea. :) A second bloodline could definitely make it work and it would allow them to distance themselves from Lionhead's story.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I keep trying to tell people. This is just to prove out the system and make sure it works on a smaller scale...the real goal is to have enough hardware in those blades to virtualize sessions and for better hardware than a Xbox One S. Can't scale 1 to 1 hardware. It doesn't make financial sense.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
This makes me happy too. Bit burned out on gigantic worlds that are an inch deep.

Yup, that's what God of War did so good, the world felt large but not too large and barren, no substance like a lot of open world games.

I much prefer hub worlds, a fair amount of content but not too much. Quality over quantity, smaller world that's more interesting, has more polish, depth, better writing

Over large abundance of fetch quest and technical issues

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I keep trying to tell people. This is just to prove out the system and make sure it works on a smaller scale...the real goal is to have enough hardware in those blades to virtualize sessions and for better hardware than a Xbox One S. Can't scale 1 to 1 hardware. It doesn't make financial sense.

I'm guessing that the virtualised hardware for xCloud at the Scarlet launch won't need to match the Scarlet consumer hardware - the latter being a box designed for 4K and the former being designed for a 1080p stream?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FM7 Race Regulation System looks great. It will significantly change the way people experience the multiplayer. Cant wait for this to come out.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me the sim stuff and the humor style was what made Fable unique. If they drop that stuff we may end up just another generic fantasy RPG.

Like you said, no sense in getting concerned until we know something about the project, but I really hope they do keep that stuff and even improve on it.

I loved all those things and more about Fable at the time, but they're not necessary for to make a good Fable game. I think what's most necessary is the adventure that puts you and your choices at the centre. I think so long as Playground understand that and the game turns out unique in different ways, we'll be happy.

This makes me happy too. Bit burned out on gigantic worlds that are an inch deep.

You and me both.

I've been avoiding all open world collectathon games for a while now. I just don't have the time and energy for them.

Are we know this for sure?

Sources: Microsoft plots Fable return
So, what changed? We've heard Microsoft's rekindled interest in Fable was in part inspired by Sony's phenomenal success with Guerrilla Games' PlayStation 4-exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn. As of June 2017, Guerrilla's story-driven, single-player open-world action RPG had sold over 3.4m copies.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I really enjoyed that in Fable your character's appearance changed fromt he choices you made during your playtime. You either could look really holy or really evil lol
or is my mind making it up and this is all a dream?

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm particularly excited to learn about the Fable reboot is is the combat system.

I think fighting monsters will be really cool, especially if it's like fighting the bigger beasts in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

So, aparently, the original DRM program of the X1 allows the console to identify each individual game disc. This tech is what makes the phisical to digital exchange program viable. The exchanged phisical discs will become unplayable.

That makes no sense. If you can just disable the license on your console what's stopping you from selling the useless disc?

At a retailer they would hold your disk so that's not an issue.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I loved all those things and more about Fable at the time, but they're not necessary for to make a good Fable game. I think what's most necessary is the adventure that puts you and your choices at the centre. I think so long as Playground understand that and the game turns out unique in different ways, we'll be happy.

You and me both.

I've been avoiding all open world collectathon games for a while now. I just don't have the time and energy for them.

Sources: Microsoft plots Fable return

I certainly hope not, played about 8 hours of Horizon and not my cup of tea, it was somewhat a technical mess. I really enjoyed the first 3 fable games, but they certainly need to be rebooted.

Not everything needs to be the Witcher 3, but it's a great game to get ideas from. I'm torn if I want them to keep the tone and humor of the precious ones. Not everything needs to be so serious but I hope their new take has a lot of serious moments though.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

I would hope the game has traces of humor as HZD was utterly po faced which actually made it all the more comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.