• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Am I now hearing that Scarlett may be $600 at launch? Uhhhhh.........Have they not learned from Sony circa 2006? This could be yet another disaster......
Your argument doesn't really work as they will have a lower-priced alternative.
  • Want the best value? Get Xbox Next Lockhart.
  • Want the best graphics? Get Xbox Next Anaconda.
Both will be next-gen machines. Both will play the same games. Both will share exactly the same ecosystem. How can someone not like options ...? If one thing is not for you, just go with the other option.

Some people are making this topic so complicated when it's actually so easy and straight forward.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Yes i just think the conditions dont work for both party's now. Maybe in the future. But atm it has passed imo.
I think with Gamepass the moment has never been better. It supports both the type of games Remedy likes to make (focusing on one "episode" at a time) as well as multiple teams for multiple games. Plus with Windows 10 and xCloud, a fairly large consumer base.

If Quantum Break launched on Gamepass day one, things would likely be a lot different.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
So gamers want 3rd person, story-driven games. Microsoft would also like games that appeal to all ages, the types both adults and kids like. So what IP in Microsoft's vault fits this criteria?

Jet Set Gemini! Doesn't have to be a deep story, just have enough substance to appeal to the older crowd, and entertaining enough to attract the kids. My guess this is the IP Playful is working on.
Jet Force Gemini strikes me as the type of IP they could reboot and take in a different direction without facing backlash from the fans. Maybe a family friendly Mass Effect with more platforming? A direct sequel to Kameo (instead of the scrapped pseudo-reboot) could also work.

That said, they dont need to make games that are 3rd person, story-driven AND family friendly. Just make different types of games. Between The Coalition, Ninja Theory and (probably) The Initiative, I think they're going to have a solid selection of cinematic action game developers. They'll also have teen/adult focused story-driven games from 343, Playground, Compulsion, inXile and Obsidian.

It's the family friendly section that needs more work right now. Sea of Thieves and Ori are the only two non-Minecraft IPs they've got going right now, and I would argue that both of them has elements that makes it less likely for me to recommend them to kids.

Xbox has a lot of options going forward though: Minecraft spinoffs, Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata, Avatar games, party games and new IP

Jan 4, 2018
Jet Force Gemini strikes me as the type of IP they could reboot and take in a different direction without facing backlash from the fans. Maybe a family friendly Mass Effect with more platforming? A direct sequel to Kameo (instead of the scrapped pseudo-reboot) could also work.

That said, they dont need to make games that are 3rd person, story-driven AND family friendly. Just make different types of games. Between The Coalition, Ninja Theory and (probably) The Initiative, I think they're going to have a solid selection of cinematic action game developers. They'll also have teen/adult focused story-driven games from 343, Playground, Compulsion, inXile and Obsidian.

It's the family friendly section that needs more work right now. Sea of Thieves and Ori are the only two non-Minecraft IPs they've got going right now, and I would argue that both of them has elements that makes it less likely for me to recommend them to kids.

Xbox has a lot of options going forward though: Minecraft spinoffs, Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata, Avatar games, party games and new IP
I'd like for MS to take a page from both Sony and Nintendo and make games that use the avatars (as since they came out, I made mine and I never bothered to look at them again.) I'd like it if they made "Nintendo-like" games like a brawler, kart racer... and allow the use of the avatars like Nintendo did with the Mii in addition to characters from various MS (and not necessarily MS's) IP
Also games like Buzz, Singstar, Play Link...
When I had the PS2 I played mainly "big" games, but Singstar, Buzz... were great to have when you had friends coming over that are not necessarily gamers themselves and I know of quite a few people that could be cathegorized as casual gamers or even non-gamers that bought a PS2 just because of that kind of games

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Both will be next-gen machines. Both will play the same games. Both will share exactly the same ecosystem. How can someone not like options ...? If one thing is not for you, just go with the other option.

Some people are making this topic so complicated when it's actually so easy and straight forward.

Exactly!

Beast mode console for me please :)

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
So gamers want 3rd person, story-driven games. Microsoft would also like games that appeal to all ages, the types both adults and kids like. So what IP in Microsoft's vault fits this criteria?

Jet Set Gemini! Doesn't have to be a deep story, just have enough substance to appeal to the older crowd, and entertaining enough to attract the kids. My guess this is the IP Playful is working on.

Haha no. Jet Force Gemini is probably the least likely IP for Microsoft to ever revive. Seriously, who even remembers that game besides hardcore Rare/N64 fans? Lol

But as another poster already pointed out, it won't face much backlash if they decide to do something different with it considering the IP is so niche. It's for this reason that I've always thought that Nuts & Bolts should've used the Blast Corps IP, not Banjo. It would make so much sense for the IP it isn't even funny. It basically feels like the next logical step for Blast Corps whereas going from platforming to vehicle building for Banjo was just WTF. I'd still like to understand how Rare thought this was a good idea. Boggles my mind to this day.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Have to wonder how much, if any effect Game Pass will have on next generation plastic sales. I know whenever I buy a next gen console, I like to start with about 3 games or so. If I skipped this gen of Xbox and came into next gen with let's say a free month of Game Pass to start and Xbox Live rolled into Game Pass, it cuts out some of the backend cost to move to a new gen. Not sure Microsoft would be good at messaging that though.

The 360 cost me well over $600 on launch day between the console, 3 games and extra controller. Factoring for inflation, jumping to a higher end model at $600 would actually be a less expensive transition.

Existing console gamers carry over an entire library and all peripherals. New gamers will have a lot to catch up on in Game Pass.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to wonder how much, if any effect Game Pass will have on next generation plastic sales. I know whenever I buy a next gen console, I like to start with about 3 games or so. If I skipped this gen of Xbox and came into next gen with let's say a free month of Game Pass to start and Xbox Live rolled into Game Pass, it cuts out some of the backend cost to move to a new gen. Not sure Microsoft would be good at messaging that though.

The 360 cost me well over $600 on launch day between the console, 3 games and extra controller. Factoring for inflation, jumping to a higher end model at $600 would actually be a less expensive transition.

Existing console gamers carry over an entire library and all peripherals. New gamers will have a lot to catch up on in Game Pass.

Game pass code seems like a lock bundled in. MS would be smart to shove it down our throats in marketing.

Oct 26, 2017
So the new sales are there and Kingdoms of Amalur is there, but wait.... it's just the fucking DLC, really?

Hopefully during Christmas then.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Haha no. Jet Force Gemini is probably the least likely IP for Microsoft to ever revive. Seriously, who even remembers that game besides hardcore Rare/N64 fans? Lol

But as another poster already pointed out, it won't face much backlash if they decide to do something different with it considering the IP is so niche. It's for this reason that I've always thought that Nuts & Bolts should've used the Blast Corps IP, not Banjo. It would make so much sense for the IP it isn't even funny. It basically feels like the next logical step for Blast Corps whereas going from platforming to vehicle building for Banjo was just WTF. I'd still like to understand how Rare thought this was a good idea. Boggles my mind to this day.
Why would it be unlikely? It fits a lot of possible categories with a sci-fi/fantasy world mix, different characters to play, family friendly, a mix of shooting and platforming gameplay, and overall is an IP that wouldn't have to be a AAA mega blockbuster. It could be a simple $20-30 budget game that wouldn't take too much time or money to fund.

Aug 26, 2018

I personally feel they need to be careful with the pricing.

On the one hand, they want to push Xbox Gamepass and yet build a console that has mass appeal ( Mass orders result in cheaper components in the long run). I feel Xbox One X hit the sweet spot at 499$.

600$ might be a hit with the core enthusiasts but may not reach a larger audience which Xbox One X based on NPD data seems to be doing.

Aug 26, 2018
Imagine what kind of community Halo could have if it launches in time for the next Xbox and Game Pass is bundled.

Ya, will be magical.

If they deliver a decent campaign and a solid MP (good iteration of H5 MP), we might see 10 Million copies in a very short period of time ( probably in 3 months) with Xbox GP, Windows 10 and as a launch title.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

The low cost option makes it an easy pill to swallow, but I think 600 is just a little much even for enthusiasts. MS will be doing much better research on what price is appropriate, so they probably know I'd end up paying the 600 anyway lol, but I do prefer the idea of the options being $300 and $500.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Game Pass subscibers, will any of you still buy a Game Pass game just so you can actually own it?

I have over a year of Game Pass, but I'm still going to buy Gears 5 and Ori Will of the Wisp. I'll also buy Fable, Halo Infinite. Everything else I'll probably Game Pass unless it really peaks my interest.

I will buy Halo Infinite. But the way things are now, I will just buy of the special edition bonuses, if I really am into a game.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

GamePass is going to have a bigger impact than I think people are going to give it. Microsoft showing the launch window of games and saying it's all coming to Game Pass...crazy value. Add in the cheaper console, and that's the value that can sway a lot of users. This is stuff I've talked about over the past year. GamePass is MS' true differentiator until Sony puts their 1st party in PSNow.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
GamePass is going to have a bigger impact than I think people are going to give it. Microsoft showing the launch window of games and saying it's all coming to Game Pass...crazy value. Add in the cheaper console, and that's the value that can sway a lot of users. This is stuff I've talked about over the past year. GamePass is MS' true differentiator until Sony puts their 1st party in PSNow.

Yeah we often talk about price. Price sells to the casual. Value sells to the enthusiast and enthusiasts drive the early part of a new console generation. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yup. Imagine buying a new Xbox in 2020 and getting all the first party launch titles (plus back catalog of 200+ games) for the cost of a monthly sub. The value there is a game changer in a huge way. Sony and possibly Nintendo will have to have an answer for it if Xbox takes off.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
"Buying a new console to play old games" I'm sure will be a line some might use to downplay it, like they did for bc.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
"Buying a new console to play old games" I'm sure will be a line some might use to downplay it, like they did for bc.
Too bad that it will include new games as well. ;) More and more we see games launching on game pass and that's it's real differentiator (moreso than just 1st party...really 3rd parties, even if from smaller devs, it's always a good thing)

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the big things about gamepass is having the first party launch games on it, will be an incentive for many people to go with the higher tier model.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
The low cost option makes it an easy pill to swallow, but I think 600 is just a little much even for enthusiasts. MS will be doing much better research on what price is appropriate, so they probably know I'd end up paying the 600 anyway lol, but I do prefer the idea of the options being $300 and $500.

$600 USD would be something I would really have to think about. I live in Canada, so the price would likely be $700 CAD plus 13% tax. It's a bit much. I think the X price was fine, they should stick to that if possible.

Jan 15, 2018
$600 USD would be something I would really have to think about. I live in Canada, so the price would likely be $700 CAD plus 13% tax. It's a bit much. I think the X price was fine, they should stick to that if possible.
That is what the X originally cost in Canada. 700 + tax. If you were fine with it then no worry. Also im pretty sure ms would offer that upgrade/monthly payments pricing deal that makes it easier to swallow.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see them going above the $499 price they have now. It's working well for them, no reason to push to $599.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Too bad that it will include new games as well. ;) More and more we see games launching on game pass and that's it's real differentiator (moreso than just 1st party...really 3rd parties, even if from smaller devs, it's always a good thing)

I'm expecting a very good month of new Game Pass games when the next system launches.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I could see a smaller get some shine like Geometry Wars was my most played 360 game around launch. LOL!

Ha. Geometry Wars was the first time I ever looked like my eyes were bleeding from playing a video game. Also my most played 360 launch game. I cracked #6 on the world leaderboard one month after launch. Still my best gaming achievement of all time. Wonder where my score is today. Lol

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
are most of you guys expecting the "pro" and "arcade" to carryall the way through next-gen, or do you think its possible/realistic we get another upgrade in 2022/23, the "x"

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
are most of you guys expecting the "pro" and "arcade" to carryall the way through next-gen, or do you think its possible/realistic we get another upgrade in 2022/23, the "x"
I was just talking about this in discord...uhm, I still think it will happen depending on what area they choose to focus on, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
I could honestly see Microsoft selling the now consoles at break-even pricing and include 30 days of gamepass free to new subscribers and advertise that this comes with a library of games. As they'd make way more money in gamepass subs as 10 dollars a month is do-able for alot of families even on a tight budget. Where a parent could say here this console and now for 10 dollars a month you get all the new games and a massive back catalog of games to play.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
In my preferred hypothetical scenario, you'd have a $600 premium box matched with a standard $400 box. That is, unless PS5 costs $500 for the standard version. If that is the case, I would almost say go the opposite way and have a $300 weaker box. It's all very complicated, because there are two actors pricing in multiple SKUs and we don't know what their research is showing on the issue. Is a vast number of core gamers now willing to pay $500 for a base console at launch? If so, does research show it would be better to go higher and premium or weaker? Is $400 enough of a difference to really give you a lot more consumers and is it easy to make a competent box for only $100 less? Or, maybe, $400 is still the sweet spot at Sony goes with that pricing. I think it makes MS's job easier because surrounding the console by $100 iterations is (hopefully) off the table and you can just go price parity and premium console and be done with it. Then, it's also possible Sony has two SKUs as well and if that is the case, I would still say push for price parity with their SKUs. You don't want to have TWO weaker consoles on market simply to get the lowest price at launch. I believe, to core gamers who would be buying right away, the lowest price at launch is less important than having the most powerful console at launch.

I could honestly see Microsoft selling the now consoles at break-even pricing and include 30 days of gamepass free to new subscribers and advertise that this comes with a library of games. As they'd make way more money in gamepass subs as 10 dollars a month is do-able for alot of families even on a tight budget. Where a parent could say here this console and now for 10 dollars a month you get all the new games and a massive back catalog of games to play.

I'd eat my hat if MS doesn't offer both SKUs at a loss for the first year.

I would say we are getting another console refresh mid gen. I quite liked it this time and it seems to be a success for both companies. I would think it is in their plans.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'd eat my hat if MS doesn't offer both SKUs at a loss for the first year.

I doubt Microsoft or Sony take a loss on the next gen of consoles, just break even at launch. These aren't going to be super exotic builds that require significantly more R&D than trying to make the package fit is the smallest, most heat efficient package they can.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I doubt Microsoft or Sony take a loss on the next gen of consoles, just break even at launch. These aren't going to be super exotic builds that require significantly more R&D than trying to make the package fit is the smallest, most heat efficient package they can.

I agree that they won't be exotic builds. I disagree that Microsoft isn't going for the throat and being as aggressive as possible with the MS coffers opening up for them, finally. They will make sure they have the most powerful console on the market at price parity, imo. And, to do that, they probably are already thinking about how much cost to eat to ensure that is the case. And, on the other side, I don't think Sony wants to allow that to happen, so they would be looking at the same strategy. I would argue it's actually because these won't be exotic architecture that makes it even more possible to do it - prices will come down faster on parts. Also, we as gamers win!

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-17-people-of-the-year-phil-spencer

People of the Year: Phil Spencer

Great Read, bring on 2019!!

Yet here we are, days away from bidding farewell to 2018, and it's Phil Spencer -- the leader of Microsoft's gaming business -- who is among our people of the year. Because the numbers hide the fact that this was a year where Xbox changed the rhetoric around its business. It was only a few years ago when Microsoft was closing studios and its hardware was suffering unfavourable comparisons to the competition. Xbox, so the story went, was out of touch and out of ideas.
Now, at the close of 2018, opinions are beginning to shift.
Phil Spencer, Executive VP of Gaming
"It has been a transformational year for Xbox on many fronts," says Spencer. "We advanced our position with Xbox Game Pass by making our first-party content available in the service at launch, and added seven studios to Microsoft Studios, bringing new talent and new perspective. I'm incredibly proud of the team for delivering the Xbox Adaptive Controller to make gaming accessible to people with limited mobility and also our vision to make gaming accessible in new ways to more people with Project xCloud. With that said, we have much we want to accomplish and our entire team is excited about the year ahead."

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Deserved. I can't wait to see what Phil's vision is for a console generation from start-to-finish like we will see next-gen. I think he's ready to blow the doors off with this reveal. 2020 can't come soon enough.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm asking this to the people that will definitely buy a next gen Xbox in 2020. The ones that aren't shying away from shelling out 400 to 500 bucks.

Do these new rumors not worry you a little? Two SKUs, one is around the same specs as X and the other is the more powerful and pricy one. My fear is that a lot of developers are going to target the weaker box, which means if you buy the pricy Xbox you'll be coping with updates again, it's not the end of the world but it will still suck to have that once again.

Worse is the very real possibility that some developers won't even provide a patch for enhancing a game, it's actually happening with X already. And that concerns both games from bigger companies and the more small ones, the indies. It's really not something I want bullshit with when next gen starts. I also wonder which approach Sony is gonna go for.

Nothing is set in stone of course.
Firstly, I'll be buying all the consoles again regardless.

But I have no concern regarding the rumours, as the base unit will undoubtedly be in line with PS5. As Brad said in his article, "specs are murky" at this time. I'd expect that Scarlett S & X will share the same CPU and likely RAM too. The difference will be the GPU, and that stuff is scalable.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
"It's been awesome to watch the impact that Xbox Game Pass has had on both players and developers. Xbox Game Pass members play 40 per cent more games than they did before they joined. They discover new genres, new franchises, new storylines -- games they would not have played. Games get six times the number of monthly players after entering Xbox Game Pass. The service is helping create and sustain player communities for multiplayer titles and single player games, which make up nearly half of the most played games in the service."

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that I haven't been this excited about Xbox in many years. Phil really turned this ship around, and I was already onboard to begin with.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's apparent that the 2 skews of Xbox was a controlled leak to feel out the market. I'd be pretty disappointed if they changed course. You're always getting bang for the buck with console hardware because it's sold near cost. A $600 rig at cost which has console efficiency should be a monstrosity the likes we haven't seen before from consoles.

It's also a mistake to call the "arcade" version gimped. Nothing with a Zen CPU should be considered gimped. It'll double the frame rate of the X even if the only thing upgraded was the CPU. For someone coming from the S, that would be a massive generational leap. I'd argue going from a S to something with a Zen CPU would be capable of a greater generational leap in games than 360 to OG Xbox One despite a shorter time period between console launches.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I think it's apparent that the 2 skews of Xbox was a controlled leak to feel out the market. I'd be pretty disappointed if they changed course. You're always getting bang for the buck with console hardware because it's sold near cost. A $600 rig at cost which has console efficiency should be a monstrosity the likes we haven't seen before from consoles.

It's also a mistake to call the "arcade" version gimped. Nothing with a Zen CPU should be considered gimped. It'll double the frame rate of the X even if the only thing upgraded was the CPU. For someone coming from the S, that would be a massive generational leap. I'd argue going from a S to something with a Zen CPU would be capable of a greater generational leap in games than 360 to OG Xbox One despite a shorter time period between console launches.
This. Although I hope that they slightly improve the GPU to something like 8 TFLOPS to differentiate it from this generation and go all out on the upper end console. They essentially could port down a game to a console with a quarter of the graphical power of the X with Horizon.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Next-gen won't only be a matter of TFLOPS...though it will be a factor...there may be other things that help with performance.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This. Although I hope that they slightly improve the GPU to something like 8 TFLOPS to differentiate it from this generation and go all out on the upper end console. They essentially could port down a game to a console with a quarter of the graphical power of the X with Horizon.

Yeah 8Tflops with Zen will hit pretty much any game this generation at 4K/60 which would be an immediate impressive upgrade for any gamers current gen backlog. The CPU would allow for true next gen game evolutions for next gen games that target 30fps.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Next-gen won't only be a matter of TFLOPS...though it will be a factor...there may be other things that help with performance.

Dedicated processors for physics or ray traced lighting? Been hearing about the dedicated physics processor for years that never came to fruition. With Microsoft owning Havok, I've theorized for a couple years they had a physics related trick up their sleeves on the console side. Thought we might see it on the X but obviously that was too early. Few years back when they re-branded Havok to be Direct Physics, there were theories they were going to try doing something along the lines of Nvidias PhysX. Would be interesting if they could mainstream scaled physics.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Dedicated processors for physics or ray traced lighting? Been hearing about the dedicated physics processor for years that never came to fruition. With Microsoft owning Havok, I've theorized for a couple years they had a physics related trick up their sleeves on the console side. Thought we might see it on the X but obviously that was too early. Few years back when they re-branded Havok to be Direct Physics, there were theories they were going to try doing something along the lines of Nvidias PhysX. Would be interesting if they could mainstream scaled physics.
AI Coprocessor ;)

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Keep in mind Xbox All Access. A monthly payment plan might help Microsoft get away with a higher price point. I can see them announcing the Xbox Anaconda "starting at $35 a month" as opposed to announcing it at $600.

Status
Not open for further replies.