• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its called Halo Infinite because it's an open world Halo ring where you can loop around the map an infinite number of times so long as you walk in a single direction

Bookmark this

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Speaking of Seasons, another franchise that could use them is State of Decay. Beyond the landscape changing, each season could bring different gameplay elements into play.

Summer: This is where Zeds will be the most prominent, as well as more enclaves and survivors. More resources prominent which will decrease their influence value.

Winter: Due to the harsh weather, Zeds will appear the least. However, the cold weather will make roads more icy, and supplies more scarce, which will improve the influence value of supplies. Less enclaves and survivors. Could even bring heat into play, where your base needs heat sources or else your survivors get sick/lose morale. Medicine and food will be top priorities, as well as gas for your base.

Spring: More rainy which could weaken the Zed's senses, making stealth and infiltrating areas easier. The rain could also bring in more food from farming, but will weaken structures and will need more materials for maintenance.

Autumn: More zeds but not as many in the summer. The foliage changing color can make stealth easier. Medicine and gasoline will appear more frequently.

It'd be a cool mode at least. Could also have wildlife whose population will differ depending on seasons, which will bring in hunting as an alternative method of getting food. Could also bring in important choices like do you build up your survivors during the warmer months, and downsize when it gets colder? Do you keep a high population but are more selfish and don't trade with other enclaves? Decisions, decisions.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Pardon me for being ignorant, was Halo ever about exploration? I only played a bit one Halo 1 a while back but it feels weird about people talking about Halo Infinite being open world with dynamic water and weather. Like was that ever a thing people wanted from a Halo game and does that lend into benefiting the game design and structure of a Halo campaign?

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Pardon me for being ignorant, was Halo ever about exploration? I only played a bit one Halo 1 a while back but it feels weird about people talking about Halo Infinite being open world with dynamic water and weather. Like was that ever a thing people wanted from a Halo game and does that lend into benefiting the game design and structure of a Halo campaign?
Absolutely - to all points.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forerunner mystery was a big part of Halo 1, and had a lot to do with the Ark on Halo 3 being so cool. Halo 1 also is known for having large playspaces that allow for sandbox experimentation with hidden nooks and crannies. Halo 2 is certainly a more guided experience, but Halo 3 returns somewhat more to the Halo 1 style of layout for a good chunk.

I'd say it lends itself to an Open World style.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The Xmas card is the same area as the E3 trailer but covered in snow, so not a different biome.
DuO2AmWVsAEZjKV.jpg:large

3402005-screen+shot+2018-06-13+at+11.15.47+am.png

:)

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Does anyone have any opinions on the recent re-appearance of Scalebound and Fable Legends on Amazon France? I know these retail leaks happen all the time and are usually balls, but this ones got some things to it.

-Its listed by Microsoft Studios on Amazon: I admit I don't know a lot about how this works, but my understanding with most online retailers (like Walmart) is they list products themselves, like Walmart, so sometimes they list things early, or type them in wrong, or list old things that shouldn't be relisted. But with Amazon the seller lists things themselves, so it seems like this would happen less frequently, especially coming directly from a publishers page.

-It's still there: it's been a week, and I don't know how long previous leaks like this stay on sites (Walmart Canada for e3 for example). All I know is by the time I heard about the Walmart Canada leak, it was already gone. And we had another two games pop up recently on Amazon Italy, Sunset Overdrive 2 and Bloodbourne 2, both of which are now gone. To be fair, them still being there may just mean Microsoft doesn't care because they are so obviously wrong, and Bloodbourne and Sunset may have been taken down because companies didn't want to actually leak real games. It may also just be a matter of no one that would do anything about it having heard about it yet.

-Scalebound reappeared once already. Earlier this year the Xbox store page for Scalebound popped back up, Microsoft said it was a database glitch of some kind, a non indexed page that was never deleted, which I tend to believe. I work at a big tech company and that kind of stuff happens.

-Ninja Theory is hiring for a Live Services game. What are the odds Ninja Theory carved off a small team to bring Fable Legends back? A ton of work was done on the game before it was canceled. I played the alpha, and it seemed pretty far along. It would be kind of shitty to find out Microsoft closed Lionhead and canned the game just to revive it a few years later with most of the same assets and stuff under different people, but it's not impossible.

I realize every point I made serves as its own counterpoint, and it's way more likely that this is nothing than that it's something, I just wanted to see if anyone else had opinions on it.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone have any opinions on the recent re-appearance of Scalebound and Fable Legends on Amazon France? I know these retail leaks happen all the time and are usually balls, but this ones got some things to it.

-Its listed by Microsoft Studios on Amazon: I admit I don't know a lot about how this works, but my understanding with most online retailers (like Walmart) is they list products themselves, like Walmart, so sometimes they list things early, or type them in wrong, or list old things that shouldn't be relisted. But with Amazon the seller lists things themselves, so it seems like this would happen less frequently, especially coming directly from a publishers page.

-It's still there: it's been a week, and I don't know how long previous leaks like this stay on sites (Walmart Canada for e3 for example). All I know is by the time I heard about the Walmart Canada leak, it was already gone. And we had another two games pop up recently on Amazon Italy, Sunset Overdrive 2 and Bloodbourne 2, both of which are now gone. To be fair, them still being there may just mean Microsoft doesn't care because they are so obviously wrong, and Bloodbourne and Sunset may have been taken down because companies didn't want to actually leak real games. It may also just be a matter of no one that would do anything about it having heard about it yet.

-Scalebound reappeared once already. Earlier this year the Xbox store page for Scalebound popped back up, Microsoft said it was a database glitch of some kind, a non indexed page that was never deleted, which I tend to believe. I work at a big tech company and that kind of stuff happens.

-Ninja Theory is hiring for a Live Services game. What are the odds Ninja Theory carved off a small team to bring Fable Legends back? A ton of work was done on the game before it was canceled. I played the alpha, and it seemed pretty far along. It would be kind of shitty to find out Microsoft closed Lionhead and canned the game just to revive it a few years later with most of the same assets and stuff under different people, but it's not impossible.

I realize every point I made serves as its own counterpoint, and it's way more likely that this is nothing than that it's something, I just wanted to see if anyone else had opinions on it.
It's nothing

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Why would it be unlikely? It fits a lot of possible categories with a sci-fi/fantasy world mix, different characters to play, family friendly, a mix of shooting and platforming gameplay, and overall is an IP that wouldn't have to be a AAA mega blockbuster. It could be a simple $20-30 budget game that wouldn't take too much time or money to fund.

Like I said, the IP is too obscure. If they aren't even willing to fund something bigger like Banjo or Conker (you know, stuff that people have been asking for ad nauseam for years and years and years), what makes you think they'll greenlight JFG out of nowhere?

Oct 26, 2017
Firstly, I'll be buying all the consoles again regardless.

But I have no concern regarding the rumours, as the base unit will undoubtedly be in line with PS5. As Brad said in his article, "specs are murky" at this time. I'd expect that Scarlett S & X will share the same CPU and likely RAM too. The difference will be the GPU, and that stuff is scalable.

Oh I have very little doubts, if at all, that there will be a difference between the nest Xbox and PS5. Spencer clearly said it, those mistakes won't be made again. With all they've been doing in such short notice it's clear they are serious about gaming again.

And even if there are differences, no way will they be like X1/PS4 or Pro/X.

Oct 26, 2017
Stuff about natural landscapes gives me a great feeling about this one. Fighting in the outdoor terrain on the Halo rings of Halo CE is still my favorite single player thing to this day. Can make for an awesome sandbox.

That trailer at last E3 already gave a impression of what they are going for and I really hope it is too. I definitely enjoyed Halo 4's campaign and 5....it was good but could have been so much better. But when I replayed Halo CE, it was still fantastic. Give me the freedom, give me exploration in Halo again. Hell yeah. Let there be wild creatures roaming the lands too.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
The cheapest Xbox of the next generation will reach 4k and 60fps?
If so, what advantage will the most expensive Xbox ?.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
For me, the most exciting thing about that tweet is the note that exploration will be rewarded. I hope there's a ton of weird caves and buildings that give cool rewards (or at least some great environmental storytelling) so I can just run around the world to find everything.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think AI has evolved the least since 2001 (when compared to graphics, lighting, physics, animations, production values). Halo CE, which launched in November if 2001 still has better AI than many shooters today. EAs sports games today are dumber than some of sports games from that gen.

It's a hot button for me. If AI evolved significantly, I'd be more excited than I would be over evolutions in physics, lighting or detail.

I agree, it's the one area I feel like developers dont try to push forward. There's a clear difference between Intelligent reactive A.I. and just cramming up the enemies health and attack and lowering the players health for difficulty.

I want to be blown away by A.I. again like I was back in the days of Halo C:E and watching Elites try to flank me and enemies hiding behind cover!!!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think AI has evolved the least since 2001 (when compared to graphics, lighting, physics, animations, production values). Halo CE, which launched in November if 2001 still has better AI than many shooters today. EAs sports games today are dumber than some of sports games from that gen.

It's a hot button for me. If AI evolved significantly, I'd be more excited than I would be over evolutions in physics, lighting or detail.

That's partly due to fun factor and what actually benefits gameplay reward and design. There are studios that have experimented with and even created more realistic and advanced AI systems, that they later dialed back not for technical reasons, but because in play tests they found that overly realistic AI just lent to added frustration, annoyance and limitations on combat approach.

Oct 26, 2017

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I was gonna say. Seasons don't make sense on a Ring. It's all man made, it's not like there is a Sun rotating in the middle changing each piece of land's environment as it passes by. Exploring different biomes, I totally get.

That doesn't make sense. Rings don't have seasons. I would have said then maybe they are talking about a planet but then he talks about knowing which Ring it's on.

EDIT: I get it now. Yeah, no seasons. He's simply saying that they put snow in that scene for the holidays and it isn't a permanent thing.

I read it as seasons or some sort of weather system. And it totally makes sense. If you research a bit on the Halo installations... you'll find out their weather is artificial, created by forerunner weather stations.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
That's partly due to fun factor and what actually benefits gameplay reward and design. There are studios that have experimented with and even created more realistic and advanced AI systems, that they later dialed back not for technical reasons, but because in play tests they found that overly realistic AI just lent to added frustration, annoyance and limitations on combat approach.

I can see that with some games...but there's a lot of genres where having more dynamic behavior would make games more replayable. Not necessarily AI designed to beat me at chess. When I play Legendary in Halo, would hope that the AI could change its routines and react differently based on what I'm doing. Halo CEs was more dynamic than Halo 5's. Also many sports games just have shit AI. Can run the same damned formations and audible into the same play and get the same reactions over and over. It's like Harbaugh is coaching every fucking football team.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. This tweet tells so much actually. Damn Frankie - is that you? ;)

Exploration. Some form of dynamic world. Dynamic water. Halo.

They are ticking all the right marks this time, hu?

LOL. If anything it says the opposite. I'm saying the snow on our Xmas card was added on purpose to make an Xmas card as opposed to hinting at a specific feature or behavior. Just didn't want people reading too much into it so I swooped in and REMOVED information from the universe. Because that's what the people want!

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
343 can't even post a holiday edit without people jumping to wild conclusions. Gotta love the hype cycle for huge Halo releases.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
343 can't even post a holiday edit without people jumping to wild conclusions. Gotta love the hype cycle for huge Halo releases.

I mean, it's something that's bound to happen when you announce a game with zero details and have no intention to release more info for another year (probably). Speculation and taking apart every little thing 343 says is all some people feel like they have.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's something that's bound to happen when you announce a game with zero details and have no intention to release more info for another year (probably). Speculation and taking apart every little thing 343 says is all some people feel like they have.

Yeah, the Halo community is desperate for information at this point. This is the first time a mainline Halo game has not been released within 3 years of the last one.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think 343 should have announced the game until there was gameplay or at least details about what kind of game it will be.

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, the Halo community is desperate for information at this point. This is the first time a mainline Halo game has not been released within 3 years of the last one.

Halo 3 + ODST Anniversary is a missed opportunity. It would have been perfect while waiting for Infinite.

I'm devastated with the fact we will never have these Halo 3 Blur cutscenes and these Halo 3 remixes.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see that with some games...but there's a lot of genres where having more dynamic behavior would make games more replayable. Not necessarily AI designed to beat me at chess. When I play Legendary in Halo, would hope that the AI could change its routines and react differently based on what I'm doing. Halo CEs was more dynamic than Halo 5's. Also many sports games just have shit AI. Can run the same damned formations and audible into the same play and get the same reactions over and over. It's like Harbaugh is coaching every fucking football team.

I think if Bleeding Edge is a real game then it will be influenced or have AI play a prominent part in the game itself. Don't know what that could entail exactly but I remember seeing a video where Tameem from Ninja Theory was talking about how AI interested him and he wanted to see what he could do with it.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
LOL. If anything it says the opposite. I'm saying the snow on our Xmas card was added on purpose to make an Xmas card as opposed to hinting at a specific feature or behavior. Just didn't want people reading too much into it so I swooped in and REMOVED information from the universe. Because that's what the people want!

Thanks for clarifying!

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Halo 3 + ODST Anniversary is a missed opportunity. It would have been perfect while waiting for Infinite.

I'm devastated with the fact we will never have these Halo 3 Blur cutscenes and these Halo 3 remixes.
But what they could do for Anniversary? Halo 3 isn't so old enough to do something like this. That game already have 4K update for The Master Chief Collection. What else they could do? Because they wouldn't do a remake.

I think the next Anniversary will be for Halo: Reach - only one game in the series which is omitted and without special treatment for Xbox One (remaster) or Xbox One X (4K patch).

They could prepare deep refreshment for this in 2020.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
But what they could do for Anniversary? Halo 3 isn't so old enough to do something like this. That game already have 4K update for The Master Chief Collection. What else they could do? Because they wouldn't do a remake.

I think the next Anniversary will be for Halo: Reach - only one game in the series which is omitted and without special treatment for Xbox One (remaster) or Xbox One X (4K patch).

I hate to be that guy, but I'm still pretty annoyed that Halo: Spartan Strike isn't on the Xbox One at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.