• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
This seems like a fun topic, what achievements/100% are you guys most proud of?

For achievements, it's Seriously 4.0 for Gears4, as well as the achievements on MCC/5 for beating all the campaigns on Legendary solo. Also that one achievement from Titanfall 2, forget its name. You know the one.

Proudest 100% would be Titanfall 1, Modern Warfare 1, and Cuphead. Most fun would be Quantum Break.

I have a few. I wish I had the patience for any of the Seriously achievements in Gears but I ultimately never have lol

I would have all the campaign achievements for the MCC but at the time when I played it the game was highly buggy and unpathced at the time and didn't register a ton of things for me, in fact I just looked at my "Next achievements" list and a bunch of them are listed there at 99% and such lol

The only ones that comes to mind currently are from Ori with the Unhinged and Immortal achievements which is One life difficulty and completing the story without dying, which if any of you have played Ori that takes some doing to get down. Extremely proud of those 1250G points. :)

Just looked and I see I have all the 1000G for the main story of Oblivion but I didn't even bother touching Shivering Isles all these years...Wtf have I been doing?

Jan 4, 2018
Xbox will make sure of that themselves in 2019.

Enjoy Christmas time and/or the Holidays. There are more important things going on than just video games :)

Hahaha I know, and you won't be posting more things here, but had to try :p

VG news and theorycrafting helps to empty my head of my patients' problems and those last weeks are pretty slow on news, seems it's time for me to find something else to do between visits at least for a few more weeks hahah

Enjoy your holidays everybody! (But don't do anything stupid that might get you hurt hahah)

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I have a few. I wish I had the patience for any of the Seriously achievements in Gears but I ultimately never have lol

I would have all the campaign achievements for the MCC but at the time when I played it the game was highly buggy and unpathced at the time and didn't register a ton of things for me, in fact I just looked at my "Next achievements" list and a bunch of them are listed there at 99% and such lol

The only ones that comes to mind currently are from Ori with the Unhinged and Immortal achievements which is One life difficulty and completing the story without dying, which if any of you have played Ori that takes some doing to get down. Extremely proud of those 1250G points. :)

Just looked and I see I have all the 1000G for the main story of Oblivion but I didn't even bother touching Shivering Isles all these years...Wtf have I been doing?
Did you do the save copy-paste method or do it like a true man? Either way impressive! I'm too scared of attempting that.

I killed the thread :(

Last edited:

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
So, according to Glen Schofield's LinkedIn he has -
"Director of Video Games
Nov 2018 - Present - 2 mos
San Ramon, California
Video Game Director, Studio Head"

I'm willing to bet this is a new MS studio he's heading (it's definitely a new studio and no other game studio is in San Ramon). EA and Ubisoft would have definitely announced it already to increase share prices. If it was his own independent studio he would have announced it already too. Only Microsoft makes sense and he fits them perfectly. Matt Booty did state they're looking for industry talent like Gallagher and Schofield fits that perfectly. Gallagher also probably worked with Schofield with the 3 years Gallagher was at Activision after Gallagher left Crystal Dynamics in 2015 and joined MS early 2018. Schofield was an exec at Activision if I recall, so Gallagher knowing him wouldn't be surprising at all.

The San Ramon area is located in San Francisco which is Silicon Valley and another hotbed of talent. It's around 5 hours north of LA (where Santa Monica, Obsidian and Irvine are), and has Sledgehammer, the Sony HQ, and Sony San Mateo Studio.

Also, as another person mentioned to me before, Studio Head is a term only MS and Xbox really use.

Question is, do we have to wait until E3 before we learn more? Or are we going to hear about it sooner?

Last edited:

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

I'm willing to bet this is a new MS studio he's heading (it's definitely a new studio and no other game studio is in San Ramon). EA and Ubisoft would have definitely announced it already to increase share prices. If it was his own independent studio he would have announced it already too. Only Microsoft makes sense and he fits them perfectly. Matt Booty did state they're looking for industry talent like Gallagher and Schofield fits that perfectly. Gallagher also probably worked with Schofield with the 3 years Gallagher was at Activision after Gallagher left Activision.

The San Ramon area is located in San Francisco which is Silicon Valley and another hotbed of talent. It's around 5 hours north of LA (where Santa Monica, Obsidian and Irvine are), and has Sledgehammer, the Sony HQ, and Sony San Mateo Studio.

Question is, do we have to wait until E3 before we learn more? Or are we going to hear about it sooner.

interesting...

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

I'm willing to bet this is a new MS studio he's heading (it's definitely a new studio and no other game studio is in San Ramon). EA and Ubisoft would have definitely announced it already to increase share prices. If it was his own independent studio he would have announced it already too. Only Microsoft makes sense and he fits them perfectly. Matt Booty did state they're looking for industry talent like Gallagher and Schofield fits that perfectly. Gallagher also probably worked with Schofield with the 3 years Gallagher was at Activision after Gallagher left Crystal Dynamics in 2015 and joined MS early 2018. Schofield was an exec at Activision if I recall, so Gallagher knowing him wouldn't be surprising at all.

Question is, do we have to wait until E3 before we learn more? Or are we going to hear about it sooner?

Yeah five hours driving or a 90 min plane ride.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

Glen Schofield was involved with Dead Space. Dead Space styled Halo Flood game. DO IT.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

This could be really good. I imagine he worked with Gallagher while he was back @ Activision. He must have come highly recommended.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

Also, as another person mentioned to me before, Studio Head is a term only MS and Xbox really use.

Don't know how you found this, but it could be the bay area studio I was anticipating MS was gonna have not too long ago, then again, going by their presence in the L.A and Orange Couty area, I'm expecting them to have more than one bay area studio in the future, maybe 3 just like south california, the bay area is a hot spot for talented developers even if it's expensive to run studios there, MS can certainly afford it.

Even if this turns out to be nothing, I still think they'll have some bay area studios in the not too distant future.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

Nice spot, one thing to add is that on Darell Gallaghers Linkendin, it's say he started at the Initiative in April 2018, two months before it was publically announced, so its possible we may hear something soon in the new year, maybe at CES in January, or on the next Inside Xbox in February?.

Oct 25, 2017
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

Jade Raymond too
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jade-raymond-121395/

Compulsion city.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Nice spot, one thing to add is that on Darell Gallaghers Linkendin, it's say he started at the Initiative in April 2018, two months before it was publically announced, so its possible we may hear something soon in the new year, maybe at CES in January, or on the next Inside Xbox in February?.

could be?

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
There's a chance these things are coincides, but now studios around Schofield and Raymond would be amazing!

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Jade Raymond too what? There's only unannounced, so it's not clear if she would go to Microsoft.

"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

Time will show if you're right or not :)

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
E3 2019 studios. IO, Turtle Rock, new San Ramon Studio, Certain Affinity, Ready at Dawn?

Fuuuucckkkkkk

Who said anything about CA?, also RaD was ruled out by the mods, and IO is only being considered atm according to Klobrille, let's not get ahead of ourselves people.

giphy.gif

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Certain Affinity? That would be very usefull addition. What this studio could offer? They've done only some little arcade Age of Booty. NOTHING ELSE.

Ok, they helped, supported some other games. But they did only this. Also, while playing Call of Duty: Ghosts or DOOM, where exactly you can recognize that some part of multiplayer are done by them or not?

Asobo Studio would be much better than them.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Certain Affinity? That would be very usefull addition. What this studio could offer? They've done only some little arcade Age of Booty. NOTHING ELSE.

Ok, they helped, supported some other games. But they did only this. Also, while playing Call of Duty: Ghosts or DOOM, where exactly you can recognize that some part of multiplayer are done by them or not?

Google Max Hoberman

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Why are there so many studios on the West Coast, but the East Coast and Midwest are extremely dry in comparison?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

You gotta start somewhere, and go where the work is. Asobo only made average Disney games before having the chance to work on other IP. CA has the talent, just haven't had many opportunities to work on their own thing. Kind of like Splash Damage.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
"Director of Video Games
San Ramon, California

If it means we get a spiritual successor to Dead Space then I'm fully on board.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Why are there so many studios on the West Coast, but the East Coast and Midwest are extremely dry in comparison?

Part of its just the tech culture, the east coast at least is a lot of government contracting and older companies pivoting to tech, Amazon and Google and even Microsoft do have presences, but they're more campuses focused on liasing with federal stuff. It's changing in a few cities over here, and Raleigh Durham is becoming a little more open, Richmond Virginia and New York are attracting more creative types, and Atlanta could do a lot for it, but it's a long way off.

The west coast just started with more creative and free form tech and that spirit has carried through time, so there's more studios there now, and thus more people out there to start new studios after the leave existing ones. Amazon HQ2 might start to change that a little, but it'll still be a while. Small studios start every now and then, but they just can't compete with places like Epic or Bethesda for the already limited pool of talent.

If you had job where you could make 200k a year and company A is in California but company B is in Ohio, which do you think most people would choose?

I mean this doesn't really work, for one by and large game devs don't make that much, except for the executives and studio heads and stuff. Like a bog standard programmer isn't making that much, especially when compared to other tech sectors.

But also there is a huge difference in cost of living. 200k in California, doesn't go nearly as far as it does in Ohio or whatever. Like I said, there's already a lot of talent on the west coast, and those people leave studios that are established and start new studios in the place they already live and are established. It's shifting as living and starting a business in California gets harder and more expensive, Austin is coming up, Colorado, Maybe Chicago shifts over time.

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

They created the best multiplayer maps for probably every game they worked on. They did the entire mp for halo 2 anniversary in halo mcc. They are very talented... a league above asobo.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
What if CA was picked up and entirely made Halo Infinite's MP while 343 made the SP? Or would that be a bad idea?

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Status
Not open for further replies.