• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I think the plan with Halo, Forza, Gears to transition them into worlds, which instead are always active.

Like there won't be any more numbered sequels anymore just sizeable content updates

Halo is first with Infinite

Agreed I feel this will happen to all MS games. I feel Halo infinite will get yearly content updates and no more major numbering games.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

The numbers speak for themselves and why they would be well advised to keep supporting Forza Horizon 4.

uUiR47C.png

Can't wait for the next FH4 expansion and the on-going support for the game. Other than that I think they will be rather silent in 2019.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I feel Halo infinite will get yearly content updates and no more major numbering games.

Not plausible. Halo is also known for its campaign. You'll need distinct sequels to drive that.
Similar thing for Gears.

Pretty much only Forza Motorsport can fall into this strategy. The Forza Horizon series usually explores different locales, so those will likely be in distinct games too.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

The numbers speak for themselves and why they would be well advised to keep supporting Forza Horizon 4.

uUiR47C.png

Can't wait for the next FH4 expansion and the on-going support for the game. Other than that I think they will be rather silent in 2019.

I feel like FH3 picked up some late momentum. Will be interested to see if Playground will be able to freshen this game up.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Phew. I don't know about that. From a broader perspective they already are at that point including third-party, but from a first-party 12 titles per year seems a bit too ambitious. Imo.
I agree, that's both lofty and probably not needed. Quality over quantity, at least initially.

I think they can hit a happy medium if they output 3-4 1st party games per year (with one of those being a headliner title e.g. Halo), padded out by quality 3rd party games in the service.
Happy new year guys everyone get hyped the road to #20by2020 has begun
Good lord, we actually think this will happen? Actually now that I think about it, this would be the optimal number for consistency in Game Pass. But I don't think it will happen by 2020, MS will have around 16 by then and keep growing provided the service subs continue to grow. That's my prediction at least!

How many 1P studios do they currently have? 12? So I'd say 4 more studios by Scarlett launch.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the plan with Halo, Forza, Gears to transition them into worlds, which instead are always active.

Like there won't be any more numbered sequels anymore just sizeable content updates

Doubtful. Halo Infinite will no doubt receive sizable updates, but it will get a sequel on next gen hardware as Infinite is a current gen title.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I agree, that's both lofty and probably not needed. Quality over quantity, at least initially.

I think they can hit a happy medium if they output 3-4 1st party games per year (with one of those being a headliner title e.g. Halo), padded out by quality 3rd party games in the service.

Good lord, we actually think this will happen? Actually now that I think about it, this would be the optimal number for consistency in Game Pass. But I don't think it will happen by 2020, MS will have around 16 by then and keep growing provided the service subs continue to grow. That's my prediction at least!

How many 1P studios do they currently have? 12? So I'd say 4 more studios by Scarlett launch.

13 if you count MSGP (which MS seem to), I think four is reasonable guess, Klobrille is said on twitter they are in talks with multiple studios, and that's before you start to think about them potentially tapping industry veterans to build new studios as well.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the timing I have no doubt it'll be cross gen.
I would bet it won't be. At most it will be backwards compatable as it can scale to hardware on PC, 343i have already confirmed that Halo Infinite is a technical challenge for them on PC, taking into account next gen SKUs along with PC and 3 current gen SKUs would be overkill.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would bet it won't be. At most it will be backwards compatable as it can scale to hardware on PC, 343i have already confirmed that Halo Infinite is a technical challenge for them on PC, taking into account next gen SKUs along with PC and 3 current gen SKUs would be overkill.

Why would they do a GT6 to themselves??

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I think they'd add another interesting string to ms bow, not sure why the 12 years a slave clip was chosen but it would signify a change or new start?
Exactly, In a genre MS hasn't even sniffed yet. While I wouldn't mind Dontnod...QD is imo the head of the class in this type of game. I think it's really exciting to think about what QD is going to do next-gen, be it with Sony, MS or Multiplat.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

Yes and no I'd say.

I think Halo and FH will obviously be more open and open world, with Gears remaining more linear but bigger.

For Halo and FH, I agree that they'll likely be open and with expansions, but not in the place of iterative releases. They'll do them for as long as they remain viable but Halo's campaign is just as important to the franchise as the MP for many, myself included and expansions for open world missions wont satisfy that.

And to those who are saying it, no way will Infinite not be either crossgen or next gen launch. The timing is all there.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
They have studios in UK, Canada and US. In my opinion, assuming MS' desire for Game Pass is to have Global appeal and not appease western markets, they should be looking at European studios and Japanese eventually.

I'd love Dontnod or Asobo to join the team, they have talented individuals and I feel like they could do incredible work under 1P support.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
It will not work, most publisher avoid year end because of annual games, they need the support also, 2 exclusive per year is already good for platform holder. Too many exclusive per yearly will cost 3rd party also.
I believe thay any platform holder should release at least 4 exclusives per year. They don't need to be all AAA, but less is just not acceptable and no one should want less than that.

In 2019 we have Crackdown 3, Ori, Battletoads, Gears 5 and probably something else or Forza.

Last year they released SoT, SoD2, FH4 and other timed exclusives.

So yeah, optimally it should be a game per quarter. Or 4 games/year if you don't like quarters.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS need to start building a base in Japan. Cover a wider Asian market but they need to start courting that market before their nextgen plans kick in.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Forza Motorsport and Horizon would just release one game per gen, at the start and just update them with killer expansions like Hot Wheels. I don't think we need a new game every other year.

I think FM would work well with that model.but there's no reason for Horizon to go that route. There's clearly too much demand for new titles bi-annually. Not shipping a game would be to leave money on the table.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Not to be an asshole but that's how I have looked at the majority of the Xbox audience since the original Xbox. Xbox did after all elevate online play and even more so with Xbox 360. Single player games and Japanese games simply sell better on PlayStation simply because that's what the core audience have been accustomed to since the original PlayStation. I definitely believe that the PlayStation 4 version will get the vast majority of sales and if Control releases around an online multi-player game, im pretty sure that the vast majority of Xbox One owners would go with the online multi-player game.

I really disagree with this assessment. The reason SP games sell so well on Sony platforms is because Sony delivers higher quality SP games. These games are considered Masterpeices by many. it has nothing to do with their audience being used to them. MS' single player output has been mediocre in comparison.

If MS released SP games that garner the kind of critical reception Bloodborne, Spider-Man, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn got, their SP titles would fly off shelves as well. Dead Rising 3, Ryse, QB, and Sunset Overdrive simply aren't viewed in the same light.

Japanese games sell well on Sony platforms because fans of those games know they'll need a Sony platform to play them. The key to Japanese games selling on Xbox is MS provin before the start of the Gen that buying an Xbox doesn't mean waiting / missing out on Japanese titles.

I think Horizon could have stand alone expansions. For example, if Forza Horizon 5 took place in Japan, you can buy an expansion to play also in India, but your progression/in game money/vehicles would stay with you. And if you never bought a Forza Horizon, you can begin by India as well.

This could fragment the player base and stunt innovation between major releases.

Last edited:

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017

Aim high! They started finalising deals and making announcements at E3 last year, this year they got the entire year where they've already been talking to studios, a few rumours out there not all will be true and others might happen we dont expect... maybe there are a few people out there who might be given a chance to start a new studio from scratch as well.

Its a big number, they probably wont hit it this year but I think as Game Pass grows throughout the year and if MS are being honest about a light touch approach to managing these studios we will see them become more appealing to independent studios who might not have otherwise wanted to jump on board.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
What would be major for MS outside of their first party games coming to XGP day one, is to get major third party games on the service for at least a month or so in rotation throughout the year from multiple publishers.

Imagine seeing games like, AC: Odyssey, Far Cry 5, Dead Cells, Monster Hunter World, Hollow Knight or Nier Automata on the service (months to a year after their releases and popularity have died down obviously) appearing on the service for a month or two in a rotation of 1P and other 3P games.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
The Initiative got three 4 new employees (on LinkedIn) since last time I checked (November 2018).

- Andrameda Martinez, Executive Assistant and Office Manager (Before: Manager @ BitTorrent, ex-Sledgehammer).
- David Wyka, Game/Art Recruiter (Before: Recruiting Manager @ Fullscreen Media/Rooster Teeth)
- Irma Ward, Associate Producer (Before: Games Producer @ Lucid Sight, ex-Activision).
- Joe Stinchcomb, Unknown Position (Before: Technical Art Director @ Crystal Dynamics).

5/15 employees on LinkedIn are ex-Crystal Dynamics. Probably Darrell's doing.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Btw The Initiative got three 4 new employees since last time I checked (november 2018).

- Andrameda Martinez, Executive Assistant and Office Manager (Before: Manager @ BitTorrent, ex-Sledgehammer).
- David Wyka, Game/Art Recruiter (Before: Recruiting Manager @ Fullscreen Media/Rooster Teeth)
- Irma Ward, Associate Producer (Before: Games Producer @ Lucid Sight, ex-Activision).
- Joe Stinchcomb, Unknown Position (Before: Technical Art Director @ Crystal Dynamics).

Interesting. I really can't wait to see what they are working on.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS need to start building a base in Japan. Cover a wider Asian market but they need to start courting that market before their nextgen plans kick in.

They do seem to be investing in some sort of support division that will cover Asia through a few job Ads we saw a few weeks or a couple of months ago. I don't know what affect that will have though as I still see the majority of publishers and developers avoiding the platform outside of the more Western influenced games.

In not into a lot of Japanese games myself but for Game Pass to succeed globally they're going to have to improve the number of releases they somehow get. I think it's a chicken and egg situation and unfortunately not much is going to change this year or moving forward.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Btw The Initiative got three 4 new employees since last time I checked (november 2018).

Just to be sure, we were speculating before that their new senior art director would be the ex insomniac guy who directed sunset overdrive, but apparently not, so this joe guy could be their senior art director, since that was one of the positions they had open.

Aug 26, 2018

uUiR47C.png

FH4, SoT and SoD2 all did 5 Million which is a great result for MS 1st Party. ( I knw SoD2 was at 4 Mil during E3 but its not a stretch to think they did 1 Million more in the next 6 months)

My simple prediction, FH4 and SoT will both hit 10 Million in 2019.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
First time posting! Hope everyone had a great 2018! Just got my One X and am loving it so far. I haven't had an Xbox for a few years. Do you think there is any chance that MS would dedicate a studio or team to Killer Instinct? It was easily one of my favorite games this gen and would hate to see the franchise tossed aside after the great reboot that it got.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be sure, we were speculating before that their new senior art director would be the ex insomniac guy who directed sunset overdrive, but apparently not, so this joe guy could be their senior art director, since that was one of the positions they had open.

Hmm I don't think so. He could still be Technical Art Director, maybe Creative Director, but I doubt he will be Art Director. He seems to lean towards the technical/engineering side of things, so I guess he'll be involved with engine and tools stuff (?).

Drew from Insomniac has "Developer" as his position now. He could definitely be the Art Director, but since he doesn't seem to be active in the digital art field, I doubt that. When I was Jr. Concept Artist a year ago, it was (and still is) a golden rule to have a strong & varied portfolio/website or profile on ArtStation/similar platforms. Most art directors have strong visual portfolios showcasing their projects. So my guess is that Murray will be working on the Game Design side of things rather than becoming Art Director.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
First time posting! Hope everyone had a great 2018! Just got my One X and am loving it so far. I haven't had an Xbox for a few years. Do you think there is any chance that MS would dedicate a studio or team to Killer Instinct? It was easily one of my favorite games this gen and would hate to see the franchise tossed aside after the great reboot that it got.

Welcome!

I think everyone in here thinks they should have a studio, be it first party or third party, for Killer Instinct. It was a decent success on Xbox One and it's a genre that seems to do alright on Gamepass (Mortal Kombat X is really attracting a lot of players).

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
This new release every month from MS studios is not gonna happen... 4-6+ games a year is most likely.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I also think one game per 2/3 months is the sweet spot. This way you can give third party games like Ashen, Mutant Year Zero and Warhammer Vermintide the space to breathe.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Hmm I don't think so. He could still be Technical Art Director, maybe Creative Director, but I doubt he will be Art Director. He seems to lean towards the technical/engineering side of things, so I guess he'll be involved with engine and tools stuff (?).

Drew from Insomniac has "Developer" as his position now. He could definitely be the Art Director, but since he doesn't seem to be active in the digital art field, I doubt that. When I was Jr. Concept Artist a year ago, it was (and still is) a golden rule to have a strong & varied portfolio/website or profile on ArtStation/similar platforms. Most art directors have strong visual portfolios showcasing their projects. So my guess is that Murray will be working on the Game Design side of things rather than becoming Art Director.
At this point they still have some senior positions to fill right? Then after that they start hiring lower level positions, shouldn't that be a lot easier to hire than what they're looking for for the top positions, since they seem to be looking for very experience to level talent there, curious to see how they handle the lower level positions, IIRC when MS vancouver got off the ground, before becoming black tusk and the coalition, they hired a lot of contract workers who they later gave full time positions to, they might do the same here.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Welcome!

I think everyone in here thinks they should have a studio, be it first party or third party, for Killer Instinct. It was a decent success on Xbox One and it's a genre that seems to do alright on Gamepass (Mortal Kombat X is really attracting a lot of players).

I remember being disappointed when Double Helix was bought by amazon. Whatever happened with that? I would be fine if Iron Galaxy continued to do work on the franchise. All the new characters and reimagining of old ones were great.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They do seem to be investing in some sort of support division that will cover Asia through a few job Ads we saw a few weeks or a couple of months ago. I don't know what affect that will have though as I still see the majority of publishers and developers avoiding the platform outside of the more Western influenced games.

In not into a lot of Japanese games myself but for Game Pass to succeed globally they're going to have to improve the number of releases they somehow get. I think it's a chicken and egg situation and unfortunately not much is going to change this year or moving forward.

Microsoft should strive for more Japanese support and I don't just mean third parties, they should fund exclusive Japanese first party titles. These games would earn Microsoft a lot of goodwill on ResetEra, this forum loves Japanese games. It would lessen the negativity stigma around Microsoft as well.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft should strive for more Japanese support and I don't just mean third parties, they should fund exclusive Japanese first party titles. These games would earn Microsoft a lot of goodwill on ResetEra, this forum loves Japanese games. It would lessen the negativity stigma around Microsoft as well.

They should but not because this forum love for Japanese IPs.

They should start by getting the big names that skipped Xbox (Persona etc) ported and worry about original IPs later.

Need to build the Japanese fanbase on the Xbox first.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Ninja Theory and Obsidian had some financial problems in the past.

Even in welcoming video after joining to Microsoft, one guy from Ninja Theory said that openly.

If I remember correctly, he mentions that they were having trouble during Hellblades development, which makes sense.

I think the more important common thread between all the acquisitions is that they all bet a lot on their last project or were betting a lot on their next project. Even Playground has said that their upcoming open world RPG had a lot to do with the acquisition. The gamble didn't pay off for everyone (InXile, Compulsion), but the projects themselves were probably more important than their financial success

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This new release every month from MS studios is not gonna happen... 4-6+ games a year is most likely.
I also think one game per 2/3 months is the sweet spot. This way you can give third party games like Ashen, Mutant Year Zero and Warhammer Vermintide the space to breathe.

I think about 3 big titles mixed with about 3 smaller games per year would be very welcomed.

They tried this on the 360 and soon found out it wasn't really working as planned. It would take a miracle now to penetrate the Asuan market with the Xbox brand. The best thing to do is get the big games like they are doing (Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts) and start aiming their sites at smaller Japanese studios that can also appeal to Western audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.