• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The people on ERA who were saying that the Store was awful and that the store doesn't work really affected my judgement on it. Now, that I have tried it and it works, I know some of the opinions were unfounded.

The store works for many people. That has always been acknowledged. The trouble is it doesn't work for a large amount of people. It sometimes works for one game and not another. Updates will fix it for some people and break it for others.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
ELI5: What exactly is going on with Bungie and Activision? If Bungie is publishing their own game does Activision no longer have anything to do with the game?

If that's the case is Bungie going to 100% foot the bill for Destiny?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So I assume that investment was to keep them independent?

Doesn't Microsoft still own a large share in the company....or did they sell all of it back? Investments without control don't usually eliminate the chance of sale.
It was to fund their new project with NetEase, and keep running.

It doesn't make a sale impossible, but does give light to how expensive it would be.

Jan 4, 2018
Today I was thinking about it, and it's just a feeling, but I think that if they don't save a new studio announcement for E3 is because they don't plan to stop getting interesting teams anytime soon
Seems more like wishful thinking. I think he said as much if you read through the replies a little, but I don't remember the exact wording.

Thanks, clarification appreciated
No hint. Just a wish parallel to what they did at X018.

To be even more clear, as of today I don't know about a single existing LOI draft that is close to being a final version.

They still have a lot of work in front of them, as meetings and talks to various studios suggest.
Well, I won't ask the obvious question that comes to my mind and just wait for things to be close to a final version
With the exception of Mojang - which got acquired because of Minecraft and not solely because of the studio itself - Xbox has yet to prove that they are willed to invest outside of their powerhouses UK/USA/Canada. From a strategic viewpoint I can see why they concentrate on these locations as they want to create network hubs for talents here. It remains to be seen if they will make moves in other countries. They shouldn't acquire a studio at the end of the world without having any kind of logistic connection to that studio though. You can't leave your studios "alone" like that imo. You need some form of connection at least - or you will alienate your teams very fast.

I understand both sides to be honest. On paper it makes sense to have as much diversity in your studios as you want to have in line-up. It can be risky though - which is why it isn't that surprising that they focused on their three main countries so far. Maybe the future will change that. But I wouldn't be too surprised if it wouldn't either.
Not saying that's what you said or implied, but reading this immediately made me think of the team that MS is putting together to work with devs and publishers in Asia
This talk of Microsoft entering new markets is an important one to have and I've been thinking a lot about Microsoft's lack of Japanese games and a possible solution. A lot of you are going to hate this idea, but what if Microsoft opened a studio in the US/Canada that focused on creating Japanese-style games in the West? There's a ton of developers in the US/Canada that have a ton of passion for Japanese games and there's no reason they couldn't replicate the concepts/art style through a Western lens. Would they be completely authentic? No, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be good games and something completely new while varying Microsoft's catalog. You could argue that this is what Sucker Punch is doing with Ghosts of Tsushima. You could bring in Japanese developers to get fresh eyes and even partner with a Japanese developer/publisher as a means of opening communication and giving the game a ton of Japanese influence.

I guess what it boils down to is that I don't think Microsoft is ready to move into Japan and compete in a big way with first-party games and this could be a good way to help start to bridge that gap. They need to walk before they can run and building partnerships with third-party Japanese developers and beginning to explore Japanese game development in an area they're more comfortable and would have total control over could be a good way to build their reputation in that area.

I don't know a ton about the anime world, unfortunately, but I believe there's a few anime-style shows now that are written and produced in the West.
I'd personally prefer if they don't take that route.
Idk about Ghost of Tsushima, I'm always open to be surprised, but when that has been attempted you get things like "The Wolverine"
If any of you have seen I'm sure you know what I mean hahah
I do hope MS will expand beyond US/UK/Canada and I believe IO would be a great "central" studio that MS can build around. Based in Denmark, industry veterans, critically acclaimed, been through difficult financial situation so probably would appreciate a financial backing & stability with Xbox. Then, MS can invest in Germany, France, Sweden and Finland. Great talent pool there.

Would love Xbox to open a studio in Central Europe as well, Poland, Ukraine, Romania would be great addition but I can see the location to be a bit problematic (Ukrainie is not even in EU).
The problem with Ukraine is that you risk waking up one day and you're in Russia.
Ok, I'll stop
The Game Streaming service wont be here until at least next year from the sounds of it. That may be their big gaming plan, but im sure we will start hearing a lot about it later this year.
I might be wrong but I think I heard somewhere about earlythis year in some kind of beta (Larry at XO?)
Just 30 acquisitions away!
Team 50 by 2025 :p
I know this would never happen but hypothetically how many consistent 10$ subscribers would MS need to sustain all of these? At least 100 million subscribers bringing in 1 billion a month in revenue
Well, if they're after those 2 billion gamers that's just a 5% of the marketshare
Right on both counts.
Is it though?
I mean, I've seen this argument used before but I don't understand it.
If you were to increase your games output, won't you need to increase the workforce in the publishing arm?
Maybe not a 1:1 increase but I don't know if there's really need to loose all those jobs. They could use the publishing part of EA to publish the dev side's games just with Xbox branding instead of EA

Or am I horribly wrong? Hahaha
Not happening. Like, it's even less possible than any other suggestion I've seen on this thread.
Not saying it's happening but management at Xbox was different and they've worked closely with Phil Spencer when he was Head of Microsoft Studios.
Just meant it as not more impossible than other things we say hahah
I hope Bungie and Activision part ways. I don't care if it's Sony or Microsoft. I want to see Bungie with creative freedom. I trust Activision less than EA.
I dream of an Activision-free Blizzard.
But no one would ever part with Blizzard's IPs

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Is it though?
I mean, I've seen this argument used before but I don't understand it.
If you were to increase your games output, won't you need to increase the workforce in the publishing arm?
Maybe not a 1:1 increase but I don't know if there's really need to loose all those jobs. They could use the publishing part of EA to publish the dev side's games just with Xbox branding instead of EA
Yes.

Lots of people work at publishers who don't directly make games, and most of those people would be made redundant.

Also, supporting fewer platforms means you need fewer devs.

Thousands of jobs would be lost, and the industry would become even more consolidated. It's bad news all around.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
The store works for many people. That has always been acknowledged. The trouble is it doesn't work for a large amount of people. It sometimes works for one game and not another. Updates will fix it for some people and break it for others.
Exactly, mine was broken (the store close itself after few seconds after open) by a previous upgrade but seems fixed by another one recently, It's just don't feel reliable.

and even if it's working fine, it's a very barebone app store which is not designed specifically for game.

on the other hand, I have a much better experience using the Xbox app.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes.

Lots of people work at publishers who don't directly make games, and most of those people would be made redundant.

Thousands of jobs would be lost, and the industry would become even more consolidated. It's bad news all around.

Preach.

Hope we can stop talking about buying publishers for the next couple of months.

Probably not..

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
It's important to note that if Microsoft is wanting to lead this market then they need to invest in content. Buying studios will help them do it, at the same time if they need to stay in the red for the Xbox divison to do it then they will.

Yah that's why I was thinking of how many subs they'd need to sustain 30 studios. Seems like at least 1 million active subscribers (not including free subs or 1$ subs)

36 studios.
1 1st Party game/month.
3 year dev cycles.

DO IT MS.

Wouldn't surprise me if they at least had 36 total teams

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Yah that's why I was thinking of how many subs they'd need to sustain 30 studios. Seems like at least 1 million active subscribers (not including free subs or 1$ subs)

Wouldn't surprise me if they at least had 36 total teams
That combined with the fact that not every game needs 3 years (some only need 2), I think that this can work.

Oct 26, 2017
Chances of Bungie going back to MS for maybe helping 343 with future Halo games? Or more likely Sony gonna pick them up or will they remain independent like IO?

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

I dont think consolidation is a good idea (nor am I supporting the idea) however I do think that sooner or later its going to happen, it just depends on where exactly they end up.

Realistically a streaming/platform holder might be the major supporter of their platform and then indies fill out the rest

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I dont think consolidation is a good idea (nor am I supporting the idea) however I do think that sooner or later its going to happen, it just depends on where exactly they end up.

Realistically a streaming/platform holder might be the major supporter of their platform and then indies fill out the rest
Companies like EA or Activision don't need to go away, the market can support them fine.

We shouldn't be resigned to a fully consolidated future.

Eventually it's going to happen though, just like every form of entertainment. A couple of sharks gobble up the smaller fish and that's life.

Not saying that's what we want but it's inevitable.

EA, ATVI, etc are already big sharks, and the industry is already consolidated like most forms of entertainment. What is being proposed here goes way beyond that.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yes.

Do you think there could be competition between Google, Amazon and MS to acquire studios? I only ask this because Amazon and Google might think content is important for their future gaming streaming plans and of course MS has a big advantage there, so things could get a lot more expensive in the future for MS if that is the case.

Or are you not expecting Amazon and Google to start acquiring anyone?

Edit: Or worse, Amazon and Google acquire someone big, since for them it might make more sense but it would be worse for everyone else if they lock that content behind a streaming service.

Jan 4, 2018
Yes.

I stand corrected then, I appreciate your informed answer.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer just tweeted them because he loves Destiny and just looking forward to what Bungie will do as an independent studio.

Don't read too much into it.

MosquitoSmasher
NetEase invested $100M and got a seat in the Board. Bungie is working on a game for them on their "second" studio.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The wording of Phil Spencer's tweet was very deliberately referring to them as independent. He's basically trying to quash acquisition rumours.

Apr 6, 2018
Very True. I suppose I was thinking of bringing new users into the ecosystem rather than just satisfying the huge Gears fanbase.

I personally love Gears. Cannot wait for 5.

However, I know it is heavily dismiss by many gamers due to the MS meme with games and fatigue with the series.

I am sure MS wants their games to be recieved like Sony games are with each of their games. Maybe a new IP will be the only way to hit that mark.
It was always clear that gears 4 was a straight return back to the origins, little story, darkness, very few micheal bay moment, while 5 was the one that had to mix everything. Still worried that is just chasing that dumb trend of dramatic cinematic experience launched by sony, which I think hurted all the gaming btw
Oh, I wasn't

I still think Bungie would do business with Sony before MS.
It was more an activision choice than a bungie one to partner with sony.
Pretty interesting from now. An indipendent studio of that size pushing a pseudo mmo gaas without a publisher backing them? pretty unique and interesting, especially now with the division and anthem aproaching

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
I'll be interested to see if Bungie stays multiplatform third party (for the most part) or kinda goes more of a pairing with MS like Insomniac does with Sony.
With that said though, I'm glad Bungie is away from Activision, aside from Spyro: Reignited, the last Activision I've bought was Overwatch (and vanilla Activision is Advanced Warfare). They've done too many anti-consumer things over the past few years to make me feed them much of my money.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
It kinda feels weird that Mike told Bungie "congrats" when MS is purchasing independent studios.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
That would be 100 million a month, 100 million subs would be a billion a month.

Yeah. Funding 30 development teams + doing marketing + platform work + third party support on Gamepass costs a lot of money.

If talking about 150 - 200 people studios.. only these studios would cost around 500 million dollars per year (my rough estimate). Not including all the marketing and platform work.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
The wording of Phil Spencer's tweet was very deliberately referring to them as independent. He's basically trying to quash acquisition rumours.

I gathered the same after reading it a few times. first couple times i was like
4_1292860533_a-big-smile-on-an-old-man.jpg

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
It kinda feels weird that Mike told Bungie "congrats" when MS is purchasing independent studios.
As mentioned before, Phil and Mike are huge Destiny fans. Phil congratulates most of the big release devs on the SONY side too (not so sure about Nintendo though).
Plus they're ex-Microsoft family. Phil worked with them quite a bit (and I'd assume Ybarra too?).

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I really hope Phil doesn't acquire Bungie, they're way past their prime and there way better alternatives. ReSpawn would of been a better choice if they didn't get scooped up by EA

I'm still hoping to at least see IO, Turtle Rock, Moon and maybe 3 others this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.