• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Microsoft Studios |OT3| I thought they were supposed to be sold off by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2018
A fraction of a percent of what EA costs.

I’d be very curious to see your math here.

Also, let’s stop saying $25 billion. If it was only $25 billion, that would be a better deal.
I’m a big time stock trader and a quick look at ea makes me think that an acquisition would probably be between 40-60 billion right now maybe even more. Just because their market cap is 27 billion doesn’t mean that’s all they would sell for.

And correct me if I’m wrong but if Microsoft did buy them couldn’t the nfl have someone else make football games because Microsoft is restricting madden to their platforms.

Also Star Wars with EA is limited. The deal is around half over already.

Buying ea would be a huge mistake. Spending 50 billion on them when they could go out and get a equivalent amount of quality devs through buying a dozen studios like 4a, IO, turtle rock, remedy, life is strange devs, a44, for a fraction of the price. Literally a fraction like 1/10th the cost.

I’d guess that the studios Microsoft has gotten in the last year total less than a billion$. I’ve seen some say around 400 million. That right there shows you why buying a big company like Ea, Ubisoft, take-two or even CD project red makes little sense.

Last edited:

MCD

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS will keep buying smaller devs. No point talking about EA. Bungie too bloated IMO and they sound like they had enough of big publishers up their ass.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope not, don't want to see them fund anything they don't own, if they have a third party dev make a game they need to own an IP.

Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising, Titanfall were all waste IMO
Demanding studios hand over control of their IP in exchange for funding is a great way to make them dislike you. Look at the Metro games. Deep Silver does not own Metro. Rather they own an exclusive license for Metro games. I don't see how Deep Silver funding Metro is a "waste". It makes them money, increases their prestige as a publisher, and so on.

One reason so many studios were willing to work with EA, for example, was that EA generally didn't demand studios give them control over the IP.

I don't see how Microsoft working out a Star Wars deal with EA to create a new Knights of the Old Republic game by Bioware or Obsidian would be a waste.
I don't see how Microsoft working with Fox to resurrect that old Alien: Crucible Obsidian project would be a waste.

Microsoft are trying to make a push for PC gamers, and while MS own a number of IPs, many of the most beloved PC gaming franchises are held dormant by various publishers including EA. THQ Nordic are snatching up quite a few of them, too. If companies refused to work with other companies, a lot of games would never get made. Were Crash Bandicoot and Spyro a "waste" for Sony? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018
I mean, the other problem with buying a publisher is you destroy a ton of their value by making them exclusive. GTA would not be GTA if it was only on Xbox.

And if you don’t make them exclusive, what was the point of buying them?
You heard anything lately btw?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I’m a big time stock trader and a quick look at ea makes me think that an acquisition would probably be between 40-60 billion right now maybe even more. Just because their market cap is 27 billion doesn’t mean that’s all they would sell for.

And correct me if I’m wrong but if Microsoft did buy them couldn’t the nfl have someone else make football games because Microsoft is restricting madden to their platforms.

Also Star Wars with EA is limited. The deal is around half over already.

Buying ea would be a huge mistake. Spending 50 billion on them when they could go out and get a equivalent amount of quality devs through buying a dozen studios like 4a, IO, turtle rock, remedy, life is strange devs, a44, for a fraction of the price. Literally a fraction like 1/10th the cost.

I’d guess that the studios Microsoft has gotten in the last year total less than a billion$. I’ve seen some say around 400 million. That right there shows you why buying a big company like Ea, Ubisoft, take-two or even CD project red makes little sense.
Facts. I think people just throw EA out there because they think it would be shocking development.

Nov 2, 2017
When Bungie created Halo:CE, they weren’t the mega studio they are today. Neither was Bethesda when they created Morrowind. BioWare when they made KOTOR. Naughty Dog with the first Uncharted.

Who was 4A games last gen? Or Techland?

I think the Microsoft gaming team has been smart with their purchases so far. Playground Games, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, InXile and even Undead Labs have all punched above their weight and on their way up. If Microsoft sees potential for the next Mass Effect, Skyrim, or Halo they can always grow those studios.

Think of Phil Spencer like an NFL GM who’s got some cap space and draft picks to rebuild in the offseason. Just because you can make a splashy purchase, doesn’t mean you should. Even Microsoft operates with a salary cap. Have to factor the cost of the purchase and the ongoing expense of the employees.

With that in mind, I wonder if you paired someone with the ability to craft story like Amy Hennig with a studio known for good game design like I/O if it wouldn’t be a value purchase and potential superstar studio in the future.

With Game Pass does anyone else want to see MS take a another chance with XSN? I don't know how an internal sports brand might hurt relationships with EA, but an annualized sports franchise included with a sub would be huuuuuuuge.

Acquire Visual Concepts and Metalhead, aHB Studios and Creature then call it a day. Maybe ressurect High Heat and Links

Aug 14, 2018
With Game Pass does anyone else want to see MS take a another chance with XSN? I don't know how an internal sports brand might hurt relationships with EA, but an annualized sports franchise included with a sub would be huuuuuuuge.

Acquire Visual Concepts and Metalhead, aHB Studios and Creature then call it a day. Maybe ressurect High Heat and Links
2 problems with that:

1. Companies like EA and 2K own the exclusive rights to certain sports, and to acquire the rights to others would be very costly.

2. Phil Spencer has stated before he doesn't see the point in developing exclusive sports games. Don't know if that opinion has changed or not.

It would be cool though. Maybe have a sports game without MTX or ridiculously grindy achievements.

elenarie

Developer at DICE
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I want MS to take risks on licensing IP to explore those universes and live a new storyline. The world of Harry Potter. Game of Thrones. Power Pack or Gen 13. Thunder Cats. Auto bots. Rising Stars. Indiana Jones. Goonies. Big Trouble In Little China. Etc. There is so much cool shit you could make right there alone.

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I want MS to take risks on licensing IP to explore those universes and live a new storyline. The world of Harry Potter. Game of Thrones. Power Pack or Gen 13. Thunder Cats. Auto bots. Rising Stars. Indiana Jones. Goonies. Big Trouble In Little China. Etc. There is so much cool shit you could make right there alone.
If Microsoft is going to license an IP I pray to the heavens above it's James Bond.

Sep 28, 2018
I wonder if you paired someone with the ability to craft story like Amy Hennig with a studio known for good game design like I/O if it wouldn’t be a value purchase and potential superstar studio in the future.
Perfect Dark?

With Game Pass does anyone else want to see MS take a another chance with XSN?
What they should do is get the devs behind Session. Pump money it and make it a full fledged service based game and you'd have the people creaming their pants for a Skate 4 running toward Game Pass.

The world of Harry Potter
Not a big Harry Pothead fan but I'd be down with Transformers or Indie getting the Spider-man treatment, a serious full budget AAA game

This but who could make it? Maybe 4A or Coalition?

FairyEmpire

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it makes sense for MS to buy Bungie. I'd be happy enough if whatever they have coming up later doesn't fuck Xbox users over anymore, that would be an alright beginning. Paying the same price for gimped versions of the same games - ridiculous shit.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It could well end up being the case, but it's impossible to gauge based on early rumours. Hell the early rumours prior to the Xbox One and PS4 reveals, were that Durango (XBO) was much more powerful than Orbis (PS4). All insiders hinted at as much, including Arthur Gies, Proelite and Karak, and we all know how that turned out.
But it's important to know why such comments existed. They were based off devkits, and for a while Xbone devkits had a stronger gpu and a monster server cpu that was said to be equal to the final one, when in reality it was there to emulate the audio chip. Also the extra memory.

Eventually it was known that Ps4 would have a gpu advantage, but some still maintained that more memory would balance things out and then some. Not to mention that Ms documentation mentioned some architecture advantages that many thought it would be exclusive to xbone gpu, and turned out to be standard gcn features.

Funny enough, last gen was a reverse situation, ps3 devkits were much stronger than the final console and consequently 360 devkits that had people saying it would be much much stronger than 360.

My point is, despite not always being the full picture those stories don't come out of thin air.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You guys think that news from Brad Sams about no PS5 BC is true
You mean that podcast? He was talking about forward compatibility, not BC.

He said that Ms is telling developers that xbone and up will run any games made for Scarlet, but Sony knows ps4 won't run ps5 games.

I think ps5 not having BC would be suicide, and with BC they could counter the advantage Ms will have off starting the next generation off with the current base.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think Sega would be anywhere near as expensive as EA but honestly it'd be better just to get Persona and Yakuza on Xbox since that's all there really missing from Sega
And that's exactly why they need to be bought.

Sega once had a game on every genre and they used to be of high quality up to the top. They were innovative and also always leading the industry technologically.

With same they lost many of their studios, many of their legendary creators and their games went to very small and niche.

I think that's the only publisher that makes sense buying because it's the only that desperately needs to grow back to what it once was.

MS restoring the AM studios, using the name and their relationship to bring old stuff back, as well bringing new ones such as Sakaguchi.

They could market Xbox as a Sega console in Japan and use their relationship to get support from more Japanese companies as well.

Then there's Relic and Creative Assembly, specially the later that definitely wants to develop AAA games, they are PC centric developers that Ms could use across the board now that Xbox supports keyboard, and have some very successful IPs on Europe.

Basically using Sega influence on the market could be the way to increase their market share on Europe and Asia, and to attract developers to fill gamepass with content.

Edit: Also, they would own Phantasy Stat Online. With the right amount of money and availability this could be a success and an exclusive "Destiny like" game to keep players constantly coming back and subbing to gamepass.

I doubt it makes sense for MS to buy Bungie. I'd be happy enough if whatever they have coming up later doesn't fuck Xbox users over anymore, that would be an alright beginning. Paying the same price for gimped versions of the same games - ridiculous shit.
True, I don't think Bungie is in good standing in the XBox community anyway, no reason to buy them in their current (bad) state.

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hope inexile gets a shot at a AAA game
Imho they should - and will - create what they want to create. And as of right now this is Wasteland 3, The Bards Tale IV console versions, an VR adaption for PSVR out soon as well as „that other“ game Brian Fargo teased. They should focus on delivering what they do best - creating great worlds and stories. Forcing them to do an AAA scale game would be the worst thing Xbox could do. With the new resources I’m sure they can accelerate both their development as well as up the general quality their games to AAA polish at least, but they shouldn’t change the scale of their games just for the sake of people wanting them to do so.

Sep 28, 2018
Maybe one day InXile can move into AAA games but it has to be when the studio is ready, it has to happen organically and not be forced.

Even if Matt and Phil offered them to make an AAA game, Fargo would probably decline it and stick to what the studio does best.

Oct 25, 2017
Retaining the licences would be key. EA are not worth the acquisition price without them.

Fifa, Madden, SW generate billions each year.

And as I said, keeping all established IP multiplatform means MS as they do with Minecraft receive the profit that's generated.
But how would they grow the value of these IP so that they could recoup the costs of the investments?

What would a Multiplatform EA owned by MS do differently that would make it more profitable than EA is currently?

May 12, 2018
Unlikely they acquire IO.

Klobrille came up with s good point how MS can easily manage studios in U.K./US/Can but further afield becomes more difficult
Denmark not close to Sweden? Already have Mojang there and give to extend the Hub with Finnish studios like Housemarque or Remedy. Germany would also be close and Deck13 would be an excellent acquisition.

Jun 11, 2018
When Bungie created Halo:CE, they weren’t the mega studio they are today. Neither was Bethesda when they created Morrowind. BioWare when they made KOTOR. Naughty Dog with the first Uncharted.

Who was 4A games last gen? Or Techland?

I think the Microsoft gaming team has been smart with their purchases so far. Playground Games, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, InXile and even Undead Labs have all punched above their weight and on their way up. If Microsoft sees potential for the next Mass Effect, Skyrim, or Halo they can always grow those studios.

Think of Phil Spencer like an NFL GM who’s got some cap space and draft picks to rebuild in the offseason. Just because you can make a splashy purchase, doesn’t mean you should. Even Microsoft operates with a salary cap. Have to factor the cost of the purchase and the ongoing expense of the employees.

With that in mind, I wonder if you paired someone with the ability to craft story like Amy Hennig with a studio known for good game design like I/O if it wouldn’t be a value purchase and potential superstar studio in the future.
have to agree.

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
About buying EA:
Why would MS/Xbox want to burden itself with added risks by buying a publisher? I don't see that. A more feasible scenario would be to buy one of the studios out of EA or any other publisher combined with an IP but that's it. Question would be still if the IP & studio is worth it.

Dec 22, 2018
But how would they grow the value of these IP so that they could recoup the costs of the investments?

What would a Multiplatform EA owned by MS do differently that would make it more profitable than EA is currently?
It's pretty well known EA are being mismanaged. They have such valuable IP and talented studios that are being wasted.

MS would make them more efficient, produce more games, and if they kept hold of the licences, more would be done with say SW

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
February Inside Xbox episode should have
  • Crackdown 3 final push, similar to what they did with FH4
  • Game Pass news for February
  • Ori and The Will of The Wisps release date
  • Sea of Thieves Arena trailer
  • Anthem
  • (Wildcard) Xbox BC news (X Enhanced or Original Xbox games)
Could be a good episode if they can deliver this. There isn’t any „old stuff“ anymore they could show again. So whatever they will do should feel „new“.

Status
Not open for further replies.