Microsoft Studios |OT3| I thought they were supposed to be sold off by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I was watching AngryJoe's top 10 most disappointing games of last year and he has State of Decay 2 and We happy few in it. Understandably so too. Not because these are horrible or even bad games but because of the launch with all the bugs.

In WHF's case the game was early access in 2016 he says, MS even helped out a little apparently. You'd think the game would have been a lot more polished at launch, but the stuff he showed, and also Sterling and others.... that's just really bad. They are under MS now and I really hope this kinda stuff is a thing of the past now. Same goes for State of Decay 2. Also a MS studio.

He also has Sea of Thieves on there, but that's definitely subjective I would say. But for me these are definitely reasons to just take the wait and see approach. Yes it's fantastic all these new studios and clear focus on actually bringing new games, but we haven't seen a thing yet. Obviously I hope for the best.

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching AngryJoe's top 10 most disappointing games of last year and he has State of Decay 2 and We happy few in it. Understandably so too. Not because these are horrible or even bad games but because of the launch with all the bugs.

In WHF's case the game was early access in 2016 he says, MS even helped out a little apparently. You'd think the game would have been a lot more polished at launch, but the stuff he showed, and also Sterling and others.... that's just really bad. They are under MS now and I really hope this kinda stuff is a thing of the past now. Same goes for State of Decay 2. Also a MS studio.

He also has Sea of Thieves on there, but that's definitely subjective I would say. But for me these are definitely reasons to just take the wait and see approach. Yes it's fantastic all these new studios and clear focus on actually bringing new games, but we haven't seen a thing yet. Obviously I hope for the best.
Yes.

To be Fair, Angry Joe even admits that he gives the score and then annual nomination based on Day 1 release.

He never saw the updates for SOT or SOD2.
And WHF could have been so much better. It is certainly a disappointment.

However, MS shouldn't be content being in anyone's disappointment list.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
EA brings in money and makes a profit no doubt, but it would take 30 years for a buyer to see a return on those numbers.
For accounting purposes, all MS would need to do is have EA make more than they would have made in interest on money they have just sitting there. That’s how Minecraft was “profitable” for them right out the gate

Oct 27, 2017
Glad all the publisher talk is over, it's silly to even consider to be honest. Makes very little sense.

MS continuing on their current track and acquiring/opening studios then growing from there is the best way, evidently they are doing as such.

I reckon this year they will announce 3 more studios, one of them being a (relatively) big hitter.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
What would make sense for both sides would be to acquire Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal from Square.

Make them a good offer and grab a talented studio doing 1st party Tomb Raider or like games for Microsoft.

I'm circling back to that Klobrille tweet about "rhymes with balloon" and speculating High Moon with this Acti/Bungie split.

Just watching a WhatCulture vid and it was pointed out (the reminder) that High Moon (and Vicarious Visions) have been a support studio to Bungie for Destiny for the better part of a decade. Perhaps Activision doesn't know what they want to do with that team anymore and are keen to lean our the amount of studios they run. The big and immediate news is letting Bungie go, but what if High Moon and VV are next?

Edit: rhyming skills, hahaha (changed to balloon)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm circling back to that Klobrille tweet about "rhymes with moon" and speculating High Moon with this Acti/Bungie split.

Just watching a WhatCulture vid and it was pointed out (the reminder) that High Moon (and Vicarious Visions) have been a support studio to Bungie for Destiny for the better part of a decade. Perhaps Activision doesn't know what they want to do with that team anymore and are keen to lean our the amount of studios they run. The big and immediate news is letting Bungie go, but what if High Moon and VV are next?
Does moon rhyme with moon? I guess if Pitbull can rhyme Kodak with Kodak...

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
They aren't going to acquire studios that are already owned by another publisher. It's going to be indie devs and top tier talent that they can build a studio around.

There's plenty for them to go after, plenty.

Dec 3, 2018
Glad they're improving things. They mention they're a small studio. I wonder if they'll be growing soon or maintaining that small studio size.
I thought I heard jez on Xbox Two say that he heard a guy form MS who has experience with rapid expansion was recently moved to compulsion. I can't remember the guys name tho. Might also be remembering it wrong too.

Last edited:

Matt

The terror that flaps in the night
Oct 24, 2017
For accounting purposes, all MS would need to do is have EA make more than they would have made in interest on money they have just sitting there. That’s how Minecraft was “profitable” for them right out the gate
Considering EA has 10,000 employees and the company would cost many, many times what Mojang did, that’s not a very apt comparison.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmmm. New studio news? Sure seems like it.

Yes.

To be Fair, Angry Joe even admits that he gives the score and then annual nomination based on Day 1 release.

He never saw the updates for SOT or SOD2.
And WHF could have been so much better. It is certainly a disappointment.

However, MS shouldn't be content being in anyone's disappointment list.
Agreed. It's not a good look and he has mentioned good reasons too. There is no reason that State 2 released like it did with all the bugs. No idea how it's at present day but at launch... was not good. Disappointing too because you expect better from a MS published game.

But with the dev now being a MS studio, MS clearly has faith in them. Hopefully we'll see great results. Same with Compulsion. I don't think their next game will be a early access game, and hopefully at launch it will be polished. No more werjd stuff like this going from here MS, please. :)

I hope we can expect polished games like you would expect from such a huge company. Games likes Gears 4, the Forza games and also Halo 5. Those were polished. Polished like Sony exclusives. Let's do it.

Dec 19, 2017
This thread got me believing MS is about to acquire High Moon and we’re going to get some legit Transformers games. Please don’t do this to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering EA has 10,000 employees and the company would cost many, many times what Mojang did, that’s not a very apt comparison.
And what would they get out of it? EA's most valuable asset is the FIFA license and that wouldn't just transfer to MS. The FIFA is greedy tho - they would make a MS-only FIFA veeery expensive for MS and hey, I kind of really believe that FIFA wouldn't be that lucrative without mtx. If the FUT fad goes away eventually and serious competition returns- FIFA is in trouble.
Integrating EA into MS would also be like transplanting cancerous flesh into your organism.

Dec 19, 2017
Bumblebee was quite a good movie, so i wouldn't mind a legit transformer game now.
Regardless of the movies, War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron were 2 really good games in general. I remember playing the shit out of War for Cybertron’s MP. A next-gen AAA Transformers game by High Moon? Sign me up.

Dec 19, 2017
Also, let me just say that if (BIG IF) Coalition ever wanted to work on a new IP but MS wanted to keep Gears going, I would not mind High Moon taking a crack at it. Watch the Fall of Cybertron CGI reveal trailer to get an idea.

Again this is entirely hypothetical

Status
Not open for further replies.