• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Hmm, I mean we don't know the context yet. But I'm hoping it means more than just play anywhere titles are available on PC with the pass.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to a gaming podcast the other day, can't remember which, think it might have been EZA, and someone made the point that the gaming industry may be headed towards a Hollywood like situation where big publishers keep gobbling up studios and smaller publishers until there's only a couple left.

Perhaps Microsoft sees the writing on the wall and they're planning to be a whole lot more aggressive than we may anticipate.

IF that's where they think we're headed, then they may get much more aggressive in pursuing their goal of becoming the Netflix of gaming before anyone can catch up.

I'll have to eat some crow, but with that in mind, Microsoft could be making some radical moves like acquiring entire publishers like a Sega or a Capcom - not just for now, but for the valuable IP they can resurrect later, much like Hollywood is banking on nostalgia nowadays with reboots and sequels many years later.

Granted, gaming is different, and reboots aren't new to it either, or really old games getting sequels, but the point I'm trying to make really is that it's looking like we put a scope to what Microsoft is planning too early. Gaming isn't going anywhere, so it stands to reason a behemoth like Microsoft may be thinking much longer term than we are, and specifically in ways in how they can dominate an industry in ways no one has yet. They may have learned their lesson from falling behind in other business avenues. With that frame of mind, I really don't know what they wouldn't do, and now I think of it, considering what they spent on Minecraft, maybe we should have taken that as a sign of what to come if Microsoft ever committed to gaming not just as a division but as the whole company.

All anyone can say without a doubt at this moment is that we are looking at some truly interesting times ahead.

Yep I been saying I feel eventual to really push XGP, they will need to make a big buy on a publisher like Disney buying Marvel, SW or Fox in the movie industry. They can't be floating around 100-150 games on XGP and expect to be the Netflix of gaming.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep I been saying I feel eventual to really push XGP, they will need to make a big buy on a publisher like Disney buying Marvel, SW or Fox in the movie industry. They can't be floating around 100-150 games on XGP and expect to be the Netflix of gaming.

Do first party games even leave Game Pass?

I think if Microsoft would have anyone in their sights it would be Sega first, Bethesda second, Projekt CD Red third.

Putfire

May 12, 2018
Game Pass on PC, keyboard and mouse. Cheering for the arrival of PC games on GamePass available for the Xbox

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really know how to take it... I mean, PC gamers can already take advantage of cross-play games on XGP. But 3rd party doesn't really have a presence in the win10 store. Is that about to change? Are they going to fix the store so that subscribers can actually play the games?

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I don't really know how to take it... I mean, PC gamers can already take advantage of cross-play games on XGP. But 3rd party doesn't really have a presence in the win10 store. Is that about to change? Are they going to fix the store so that subscribers can actually play the games?

Well they can just use XCloud to prop up the Store.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
The Banjo in Smash talk reminds me that earlier this year I tweeted that Microsoft should release Banjo on Xbox and switch because of their growing relationship w/ Nintendo and a few MS execs liked my tweet... Would be interesting. I hope I'm right so I can repost my tweet like I am Nostradamus;)

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
damn that looks good

the black background on the subtitles sucks tho, hope you can disable that.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those aren't remakes, those are ports. A remake would be like what happened with Spyro.
The N64 version of Conker remains far more popular in part due to its graphics being preferred to the "improved" graphics of the remake. Remakes of games like Spyro exist because the originals were PS1 games. N64 games clean up just fine.

What exactly is the point of remaking Banjo when the single most hated thing about any such remake is going to be the graphics? You'd have to offer a classic graphics mode at the very least.

Oct 25, 2017
I did have a chat with someone about the west coast and Turtle Rock studios may have been in that chat:P

giphy.gif

coma

Oct 28, 2017
They don't advertise it as a service for PC currently. They'll probably port some games like Sunset Overdrive and MCC to the Windows Store + add some PC games to the service like Age of Empires, Frostpunk, etc.

Makes more sense considering we'll theoretically be able to play stuff like Age of Empires on Xbox soon.

Jul 17, 2018
If MS plays their cards right they can very well compete with steam...

$10 a month for new and old games? PC gamers can NOT dislike that.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
If MS plays their cards right they can very well compete with steam...

$10 a month for new and old games? PC gamers can NOT dislike that.

They can if they can't install games. Hopefully Nadella is helping influence more resources towards improving the store. I know it's better than it was 3 years ago, but still not as user friendly as competing digital stores. They need to aim higher.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
May mean something, may not, but Microsoft just recently registered and renewed the Banjo-Kazooie trademark on September 9th, 2018.

https://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=Banjo-kazooie

If you recall, this was one of the first big steps Microsoft took when Killer Instinct was first coming back and they had brief legal battle with Fox over the name because MS had let it expire and Fox took it over for some weird tv show that flopped.

I think because of the situation I mentioned above, it could be significant here in MS's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.