• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Well, for sure I hope The Initiative will not just release a "one and done" single player 20 hour experience - but something more fundamental and ambitious with a great, bold multiplayer experience on top.

But I get what you are saying. Although you can still have your filmic, narrative heavy with emotional pull game with a multiplayer experience added (again, *cough* Gears 5). These two things don't exclude each other. I want a complete package - not just some copy of Sonys successful cinematic-focused first-party strategy. MS needs to find their own direction. Offering value and diversity could be two keys to that.
Are you trying to tell us that Initiative is working on a multiplayer title?

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
The idea would be that both studios, and Mistwalker especially, will be more like idea factors that will develop games and partner with other studios.

Grounding Inc and Platinum for Phantom Dust
Mistwalker and Atlus and Level-5 for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon

Can I get an amen?
No amen lol. It would be better for Microsoft to keep everything internal. Personally, Platinum and Level-5 is Microsoft's best get, but I'm not 100% supportive of them acquiring either of those studios. They make too many games that they wouldn't be able to make under Microsoft because another Publisher owns them or something.

If anything, I'd want those studios to be built up, but I doubt they will want to.
The winner is Falcon511 . And yes it is probably not an exclusive ...
I figured that was it lol. As you said it was an easy guess.
Are you trying to tell us that Initiative is working on a multiplayer title?
Based on what we know, it seems very likely. Matt Booty talked about how it would be up to the studios on what they want to do, and if The Initiative wanted, they could come back and decide not to do MP. It's either meaning they haven't completely decided yet, or they have decided but have the choice to back out.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Well, for sure I hope The Initiative will not just release a "one and done" single player 20 hour experience - but something more fundamental and ambitious with a great, bold multiplayer experience on top.

But I get what you are saying. Although you can still have your filmic, narrative heavy with emotional pull game with a multiplayer experience added (again, *cough* Gears 5). These two things don't exclude each other. I want a complete package - not just some copy of Sonys successful cinematic-focused first-party strategy. MS needs to find their own direction. Offering value and diversity could be two keys to that.
I don't agree with the "one and done" expression. I can't be the only person who replays games just because I like them. If a game is good, I will play it again just to experience it all over again. I've played the entire Mass Effect trilogy probably 20 times. I've played Uncharted 2 several times over and I will go back to it again. Because it's an amazing game. Hell, this year alone I've played God of War three times, Spider Man twice and plan to replay Red Dead Redemption before the year is out.

Conversely, I find multiplayer to be extremely boring. Mainly because I am simply bad at most multiplayer games, but just shooting people does nothing to excite me. Without a narrative I feel little motivation to play a game. It's why games like Doom do nothing for me. I don't think I've played a multiplayer match since Gears 3 launched.

Point is, I hope the Initiative focuses makes a game with a sweeping, emotional narrative. Between Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3 and all the third party titles, there's more than enough multiplayer games out there.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I don't want altus to make a Lost Odyssey game, rather have a new Ip from them. And please persona and catherine,,

What I think would work for LO2 would be mistwalker x silicon studios.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No amen lol. It would be better for Microsoft to keep everything internal. Personally, Platinum and Level-5 is Microsoft's best get, but I'm not 100% supportive of them acquiring either of those studios. They make too many games that they wouldn't be able to make under Microsoft because another Publisher owns them or something.

If anything, I'd want those studios to be built up, but I doubt they will want to.

Keeping everything internal would be waaaaay too expensive, and they're never going to acquire Level-5. You got any idea how big that company is? There's no need to.

Also, lol at Platinum. They'll go with a Japanese or any publisher or conglomerates before Microsoft. Hell, they'll go with Activision before they'll go with Microsoft.

Microsoft is not ever going to have huge, 100+ developer studios in Japan. It's just not feasible. They need to get creative. There is talent they can leverage there without having to put together a huge studio.

No doubt, Sakuguchi has experience, but why spend the money when Microsoft can talk to Sega about getting one of their studios to develop Lost Odyssey? What build a studio for Blue Dragon when Level-5 can fill and maybe even bring back the anime?

Microsoft needs creative solutions in Asian markets. Throwing money at the problem has never helped them.

I don't want altus to make a Lost Odyssey game, rather have a new Ip from them. And please persona and catherine,,

What I think would work for LO2 would be mistwalker x silicon studios.

Of course, Silicon Studio is a much likelier pick.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This isn't remotely true.

Halo is a huge universe spanning thousands of years.

Chief isn't necessary to tell a great Halo story or stories.

I didn't miss him playing ODST.

I didn't miss playing Reach.

I wouldn't miss Chief if he disappeared forever now. In fact, at this point that'd be the thing for Halo right now.

10,000 years would have been way too extreme. I would have gone anywhere from 10 to 25 years myself.

I really don't have all that much of an issue with Halo 4, it's really Halo 5 that grinds my gears.

It's a shame that the only takeaway that 343 would admit to after the debacle that was Halo 5's campaign was not enough Chief. I guess replacing their lead game designer, artist, writer and music composer is enough evidence of self awareness. Would've been nice to hear what other aspects they were going to focus on aside from more Chief.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
ID@Xbox in Japan to talk with Devs about Xcloud and game Pass

p_10548aayj0.jpg
I'm really happy with The Good Life coming to Xbox One and being able to switch my Kickstarter reward over to the platform, even if it might be a bit redundant for me personally depending on if I have a Game Pass sub at launch or not.

Besides me following Rare to where they still made some mascot games and warming up to Microsoft published games and historic western PC game studios embracing consoles (starting with Xbox), it was titles like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (and third party games like Dead Rising) that pulled me all the way in during the early 360 days. What initially attracted me to Xbox felt extra done in early 2017 with the cancellation of Scalebound and I was frustrated with the brand. I hope Microsoft is on its way back to earning some good will on the subject of Japanese games, it's encouraging to see something like this ID@Xbox event!

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Keeping everything internal would be waaaaay too expensive, and they're never going to acquire Level-5. You got any idea how big that company is? There's no need to.

Also, lol at Platinum. They'll go with a Japanese or any publisher or conglomerates before Microsoft. Hell, they'll go with Activision before they'll go with Microsoft.

Microsoft is not ever going to have huge, 100+ developer studios in Japan. It's just not feasible. They need to get creative. There is talent they can leverage there without having to put together a huge studio.

No doubt, Sakuguchi has experience, but why spend the money when Microsoft can talk to Sega about getting one of their studios to develop Lost Odyssey? What build a studio for Blue Dragon when Level-5 can fill and maybe even bring back the anime?

Microsoft needs creative solutions in Asian markets. Throwing money at the problem has never helped them.

Of course, Silicon Studio is a much likelier pick.
I personally doubt a lot of it, but external development is always a tricky business when developers won't always have the time. As for 100+ developer studios in Japan, you'd be surprised. They're pushing for xCloud pretty hard, and they're going to need content for that too. Maybe not Platinum and Level-5 (the relationship with Platinum and Microsoft isn't as bad as it seems), but I can almost guarantee a Japanese studio in the next few years. it's practically essential for their plans. Though that 100+ can be multiple team studios.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
You guys talk as if 100+ devs is a lot, in this day a age even AA studios are 100+.

Those 2 are rather impossible tho

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Conversely, I find multiplayer to be extremely boring. Mainly because I am simply bad at most multiplayer games, but just shooting people does nothing to excite me. Without a narrative I feel little motivation to play a game. It's why games like Doom do nothing for me. I don't think I've played a multiplayer match since Gears 3 launched

I replay single player games as well, and I don't play a lot of multiplayer, but I don't need a story to keep me engaged. But this is what I don't understand - you say that without a story you feel little motivation to play a game, yet you're replaying them multiple times. Most games still have fairly linear stories, so on your subsequent playthroughs you're obviously playing for other reasons, because you're already familiar with their stories. So it would appear that you don't really need a narrative to keep you engaged if the gameplay is fun.

Between Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3 and all the third party titles, there's more than enough multiplayer games out there.

Apart form Sea of Thieves, those games are multiplayer games only if you want them to be.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Very encouraging job posting I have to say, it's almost like I'm reading some PR speech about what I want.

Good vibes.. good vibes for sure.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the only takeaway that 343 would admit to after the debacle that was Halo 5's campaign was not enough Chief. I guess replacing their lead game designer, artist, writer and music composer is enough evidence of self awareness. Would've been nice to hear what other aspects they were going to focus on aside from more Chief.

imo, Halo 5 would have been better if
  • it was almost entirely told from Locke's perspective - the player is investigator, if it puts us a position to think of Chief in different ways, etc.
  • Chief went missing, presumed to be in search of Cortana
  • Locke was initially searching for Blue Team who were the original team to hunt Chief down as they're the best qualified
  • Blue Team is presumed MIA (Spartans never die) and we only see Chief in snippets, mostly flashbacks, video footage, etc as Locke hunts him down - this gives us more a window into what Chief the man he is
  • the game is mostly focused on Jameson Locke, his story, his deals, what he's about, and how it all relates to Chief
  • Prometheans are in the game, and the Warden is too, but rather than another foil for Chief, he's the chief foil for Locke as they're both hunting Chief
  • turns out Team Osiris learn Blue Team didn't go MIA, they deserted as none of them had any intention of hunting down chief
  • conflict with Blue Team at the end of the game; Team Osiris just missed him, and Blue Team aren't letting them go after Chief without a fight
  • Osiris vs Blue Team (minus chief), Osiris barely win, no one dies
  • Chief is never caught, he's off after finding what he has been searching for the game
  • final scene of the game is the Halo ring that Cortana found, her intentions seem obvious
  • next time we see Chief is the teaser at E3, and the UNSC he's observing are actually hunting him because ONI belief Chief can't be trusted with the ring after his run in with the Didact and Cortana going rogue
Halo Infinite is told from Chief's perspective. He resolves the conflict with Locke in a fight that's interrupted as they're forced to work together to defeat Cortana. Game ends with Chief saving Locke similar to how Cortana saved him, he uses Forerunner tech to teleport Locke into the vastness of space. Chief goes down destroying the final Halo ring before it can be fired and he is presumed MIA because Spartans don't die.

In taking down the final Halo ring, the universe is saved, but defenceless against the precursor flood or any galaxy threat, thereby setting up future games with enough stakes.

The next time we see Locke in a game, he is an older Spartan, but the not the main guy, he's not the main hero, he's not the saviour of the galaxy, he's just someone who witnessed the man who did.

Halo can carry on for an infinite games without feeling like its days best can never be ahead.

Chief becomes immortalised in the lore in new and different ways that can be referenced and built upon for years to come.

The IP can branch out into different genres, with new conflicts, etc. without the obligation of including Chief or getting stale.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Microsoft Studios are currently streaming Sunset Overdrive on mixer, can't tell if it's just them playing a game or if their may be an underlying message of....were working on Sunset Overdrive 2.

Maybe just reading too much into it.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
That was 10 or so years ago. Times have changed and people flock like sheep to the multiplatform games that are either easier to play (CoD) , the hot newest thing (Fortnight) or generic military shooters. Millions of players have kept up with the Halo series since Reach, both 4 and 5 have sold well and the population for Halo 5 has been an improvement over Halo 4 which can only mean good things for the franchise going forward. Combined with continued support of MCC andInfinite I feel the franchise will be in good hands

Debatable, while there are things 343i have stumbled with both Halo 4 and Halo 5 do feel like Halo games, they feel different yes, but each Halo game has a different feel from the previous due to general gameplay and engine changes/updates.

Halo has always evolved/changed. Halo 4 was for better or worse the next evolution gameplay wise from Reach which introduced loadouts and Spartan Abilities. Halo 5 was the result of very vocal feedback from the Halo pro-community.

I enjoy WZFF amd it made sense to use Warzone as a template for firefight in Halo 5. I never got the overhype for ODST firefight as it eventually got repetitive and Reach firefight even got somewhat boring as AI pathfinding was easily exploited to get easy kills.

That is something I have been very vocal about, especially in regards to the default H5 rocket launcher filling for the SPNKR. With Halo Wars 2 though and Infinite having a more classic visual style it does seem like alot is being looked at. Bungie was not innocent on this either though.

Did you even play the Halo 4 and Halo 5 campaigns? There were plenty of silence moments and Halo 5 had exploration moments aswell. I agree that Halo 4 was extremely linear but that was probably due to limitations of the Xbox 360's hardware as Halo 5 improve from there.

That's your taste and I can't argue with you there. I respect that. :)

WZ FF is the worst PVE I've played. A huge downgrade from previous versions.

H4 and specially 5 are not only the worst Halo campaign I've played. But one of the worst campaigns I've played , ever.

No Halo feeling to it and not A Halo game. Nothing in it screams Halo.

What exploration are talking about? The three walk around *missions* ? This one right here is a disaster by its own.

The warden fights? LMAO

I've been playing Halo ever since it came out, day one with the original Xbox. Always enjoyed it. Replayed over 100 times. Never thought for a second that there will come a day where I will get bored playing Halo.

And that day came, it was the day I played H5.
And while playing H5 there was one thought going through my mind, When will it end? When will this horrible experience end? A constant constipation. That's what H5 is. A bad Halo game and a bad game that shouldn't have been released.

So I guess I disagree with you on every point and we can't see eye to eye on this matter so let's leave it at that. :)

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally doubt a lot of it, but external development is always a tricky business when developers won't always have the time. As for 100+ developer studios in Japan, you'd be surprised. They're pushing for xCloud pretty hard, and they're going to need content for that too. Maybe not Platinum and Level-5 (the relationship with Platinum and Microsoft isn't as bad as it seems), but I can almost guarantee a Japanese studio in the next few years. it's practically essential for their plans. Though that 100+ can be multiple team studios.

Tell you what, you're a lot more optimistic that I am.

I think Microsoft will acquire 1 or 2 Japanese studios at most, and they'll probably be studios they've been very close with, I can see that, I think the best picks are Mistwalker and Grounding.

But we'll see.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I replay single player games as well, and I don't play a lot of multiplayer, but I don't need a story to keep me engaged. But this is what I don't understand - you say that without a story you feel little motivation to play a game, yet you're replaying them multiple times. Most games still have fairly linear stories, so on your subsequent playthroughs you're obviously playing for other reasons, because you're already familiar with their stories. So it would appear that you don't really need a narrative to keep you engaged if the gameplay is fun.

I don't really replay games for the gameplay experience - Mass Effect has nothing special in the gameplay department. I play them to experience the story again. A game being linear doesn't bother me at all. Just like I know what's going to happen when I rewatch The Dark Knight, it doesn't diminish the quality of the film. Sword fighting Rafe at the end of Uncharted 4 was, mechanically, a pretty dull boss fight. But because of the story build up, the music and the general cinematic nature of the moment, I was on the edge of my seat. It was a moment that I remember and have an urge to go back to. Whereas something like Sunset Overdrive, which was really fun to play, I feel no desire to go back to. Because the story was just kind of meh.

When I think about my favorite games and what stands out to me about them, it is, without fail, the story beats of the game. I think the only game that intrigued me on gameplay alone was LA Noire, and that was out of sheer curiosity more than sound mechanics.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking a lot about Gears 5. I wonder will it be more of hub world allowing you to backtrack, this is the time for them to flex their muscle. I wish we had a leak on what gameplay will be like.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else other than CDKeys selling game pass for 6 months? CDkeys have been out of stock for a while.

Edit: Am I checking it right or is buying 3 months of game pass on CDKeys cheaper than 6 months?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
What? You really think Japan would be interested in Xbox if they got couple Japanese games on their system?

At this point it is already clear that Xbox isn't going to sell there. Xclouds streaming and gamepass is something they could be interested in and that's how they could make Xbox brand look more appealing
no and i don't care about Japan at all...

what i meant is MS try and Subtitles their games to my language that's all

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first day experience after purchasing Scarlett is going to be pretty incredible with backwards compatibility, external storage, network transfer, Game Pass, Project XCloud, and FastStart.

The starting ground for the next generation is right where the Xbox One left off (plus everything new they are working on), which will be unlike any other console generation we've seen before.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I don't really replay games for the gameplay experience - Mass Effect has nothing special in the gameplay department. I play them to experience the story again. A game being linear doesn't bother me at all. Just like I know what's going to happen when I rewatch The Dark Knight, it doesn't diminish the quality of the film. Sword fighting Rafe at the end of Uncharted 4 was, mechanically, a pretty dull boss fight. But because of the story build up, the music and the general cinematic nature of the moment, I was on the edge of my seat. It was a moment that I remember and have an urge to go back to. Whereas something like Sunset Overdrive, which was really fun to play, I feel no desire to go back to. Because the story was just kind of meh.

When I think about my favorite games and what stands out to me about them, it is, without fail, the story beats of the game. I think the only game that intrigued me on gameplay alone was LA Noire, and that was out of sheer curiosity more than sound mechanics.

Interesting, I would never or almost never replay a game just to experience the story again, there would always need to be a fun gameplay component (well, fun is maybe the wrong word - let's say engaging). Perhaps after many years since my last playthrough, when I could use a refresher. But that's partially because in my experience very few linear game stories compare to even the most mediocre of film narratives, and let's not even try comparing them to decent literature. Games have other qualities that enable them to hit above their weight when it comes to narrative, like immersion or agency, but that's where we're stepping into the domain of gameplay once again.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
How about a $199 streaming scarlett in first half of 2020 then $500 super scarlett in 2021?

Continue to push GP and high end gaming with both. Don't regard too much in what Sony is doing but pave their own path.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Step one is being considered.
As a huge age of empires fan, I want all the remasters and future age of empires games playable on xbox with mouse and keyboard only, basically what I want is for them to allow keyboard and mouse only games on xbox, without controller support, age of empires should never be playable with a controller, it would be shameful.

Also I would like for microsoft to fund a new classic commandos game (maybe acquire the IP) or maybe a succesor in all but in name if that is not possible.

Any chance of that happening? I know the commandos thing is almost impossible, but if it's about our wishes...

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge age of empires fan, I want all the remasters and future age of empires games playable on xbox with mouse and keyboard only, basically what I want is for them to allow keyboard and mouse only games on xbox, without controller support, age of empires should never be playable with a controller, it would be shameful.

Also I would like for microsoft to fund a new classic commandos game (maybe acquire the IP) or maybe a succesor in all but in name if that is not possible.

Any chance of that happening? I know the commandos thing is almost impossible, but if it's about our wishes...

If Microsoft acquire SkyBox Labs, that's a lock, I think.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, let's go

Would be the best studio they acquired

Let's not get too crazy now.

Playground and Obsidian is some stiff competition.

The former quite possibly the best run studio in the entire industry.

The latter has made some of the best RPGs of all time.

IO would be a huge get, but the best? Naw.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
I honestly think MS would really embrace the Hitman brand. I could see them putting 47 in those live action Xbox commercials with their mascots and cars. IO is great so I hope they stay around.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If MS did acquire IO, I wouldn't want them on Hitman.

Put that IP on ice.

License it to some indie.

Whatever.

Just put IO on something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.