• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square still owns the Hitman IP according to Matt

I would still like 1 more season though, theres nothing like these games out right now

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, what do you folks think Scarlet will bring to the table? I was 3/4 through making a nice O/T on the topic, but then had second thoughts knowing how anything Xbox related outside of this thread seems to go. My original OT I was thinking of making also had the PS5, but yeah just did not want to finish and hit submit.

With the advent of mid-gen consoles like the PRO/X, I think the "jump" that we usually have will not be the case this time around. Yes, I think it will be better and I think frame rates will be better, but the jump will not seem as big especially because of what we are seeing with the "X". When we view those DF articles and then the ones that compares the "X" version of game with a high-end PC, a lot of the things seem close, while other settings are a big difference. IMHO, I think 4k Native like lots of "X" games will continue, frame rates will be more stable and a lot of settings will be ramped up. The jump between base PS4/Xbox and Next gen I feel will be a significant improvement, but going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 the jump wont be as big. I think the following graphics settings will be better, which will lead to games looking better, but not a major jump like in past generations:

Improved AF
Improved Shadow Detail
Improved AA
Improved Ambient Encl.
Improved Draw Distance
Improved/More stable frame rates

While that all sounds like it will be great, again going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 these improvements will be noticeable, but not the jump like we had from 360 to One or PS3 to PS4. What are your thoughts on this?

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
Realistically, what do you folks think Scarlet will bring to the table? I was 3/4 through making a nice O/T on the topic, but then had second thoughts knowing how anything Xbox related outside of this thread seems to go. My original OT I was thinking of making also had the PS5, but yeah just did not want to finish and hit submit.

With the advent of mid-gen consoles like the PRO/X, I think the "jump" that we usually have will not be the case this time around. Yes, I think it will be better and I think frame rates will be better, but the jump will not seem as big especially because of what we are seeing with the "X". When we view those DF articles and then the ones that compares the "X" version of game with a high-end PC, a lot of the things seem close, while other settings are a big difference. IMHO, I think 4k Native like lots of "X" games will continue, frame rates will be more stable and a lot of settings will be ramped up. The jump between base PS4/Xbox and Next gen I feel will be a significant improvement, but going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 the jump wont be as big. I think the following graphics settings will be better, which will lead to games looking better, but not a major jump like in past generations:

Improved AF
Improved Shadow Detail
Improved AA
Improved Ambient Encl.
Improved Draw Distance

While that all sounds like it will be great, again going from "X" to Scarlet/PS5 these improvements will be noticeable, but not the jump like we had from 360 to One or PS3 to PS4. What are your thoughts on this?
Maybe a hint at what we can expect, improved global illumination, off screen reflections & possibility just a hint of RT?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Improved AF
Improved Shadow Detail
Improved AA
Improved Ambient Encl.
Improved Draw Distance

Toy Story graphics of course

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Woah! What?! You said to let the other studios purchases settle in before talking about any more.

Oh I see. 1 week. We just need to give studio purchases 1 week to settle in before revving up the rumor engines again. LOL

LOL xD

For real this would be a good acquisition and I understand the reason considering Hitman 2's struggles.

Its another situation of talented developer, good game, but game doesnt sell well.

Honestly, I think Hitman chose a bad time to release considering all the games that just came out including Red Dead Redemption 2.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
So basically nobody knows shit

If there are dev kits out in the wild, only EXTREMELY trusted partners know about them. I'm not allowed to say what Microsoft sent my team, because all that shit's locked down, but they didn't say I couldn't say what they DIDN'T send me, so I can emphatically state that they didn't send us any next-gen dev kits. I did inquire about what all we could get from them.

I wouldn't say "definitely nothing out there," but I mean, I have friends that are literal chief creative officers/lead designers at AAA studios who haven't said a word about these things. Normally, I would have heard something by now if something were out in the wild.

fwiw, my studio also tried to see if we could do an Ouya port for hilarity's sake, but we weren't able to do it.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
This isn't remotely true.

Halo is a huge universe spanning thousands of years.

Chief isn't necessary to tell a great Halo story or stories.

I didn't miss him playing ODST.

I didn't miss playing Reach.

I wouldn't miss Chief if he disappeared forever now. In fact, at this point that'd be the thing for Halo right now.

It's definitely true.

You're speaking of spin off games not the main line of them and only from your own personal POV. Of course people can or would be receptive to those but for the main story, the vast majority of people have repeatedly said they want their main hero to be John. Period.

Apr 6, 2018
That halo debate took the worst from that thread, it was chaotic and aggressive, like everyone felt entitled. But maybe I'm biased because when CE was out I enjoyed the Eric Nylund book but I've found the game pretty irrelevant.
Only H2 was special to me, but I pretty hated all the bungie games until I fell in love with h4 and its relationship to the masterpiece trilogy from Greg Bear. I could wrote for hours about what made it so good.
It's going to be awesome.

fzcjpqnwuemqvj95wmul.gif
Hoping that won't be like c'è and 3 that are to empty and you had to deal with that vehicles ...

They were pissed they already used Halo 4 to get Chief out of the predicament he found himself in at the end of Halo 3. A clean break was provided at the end of H3, but they ignored it. That was the time to introduce a new Spartan player character like Locke.

Also people didn't hate Locke only because he wasn't Chief...they hated him because he was dull. People love The Arbiter in H2
Boy two extremely wrong takes. People hated Thel Vadam. And the break from h3 was never supposed to be like that. H4 was a thing even before h3 was.

I have great news for you about an Xbox exclusive game coming in 2019 that is exactly that ... Well, a lot more than just that actually.
Please you know something about gears from the APIs? Like game modes or so on?
Yep. And we have seen nothing so far.

He just described Gears 5 without noticing it. That's somewhat ironic.
Plz I'm begging you

Hey I love Gears as much as the next Cog but I don't think it's the same thing as the two games I mentioned. I mean Gears gives you a great campaign, an impressive multiplayer and legendary horde mode, that's amazing content value but its not filmic, narrative heavy with the emotional pull of the other two.

You know what I mean I'm sure, that's what The Initiative is going to be for.
Maria's death is maybe one of the best in the medium

Are you trying to tell us that Initiative is working on a multiplayer title?
Yes it will have a huge mp, they hired the mp engineer from halo and LOL. William Archbell is the name to search if you want.

Oh shit, let's go

Would be the best studio they acquired

Wait what, MS is considering acquiring IO?

If MS did acquire IO, I wouldn't want them on Hitman.

Put that IP on ice.

License it to some indie.

Whatever.

Just put IO on something new.

You can't just casually mention sexy news like that
Can you explain me why the word "confirmed" in italic created this buzz? I've never played a Hitman game so I'm confused

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not get too crazy now.

Playground and Obsidian is some stiff competition.

The former quite possibly the best run studio in the entire industry.

The latter has made some of the best RPGs of all time.

IO would be a huge get, but the best? Naw.
I think it's fairly safe to say IOI are a peerless developer. Plenty of developers do what Obsidian do. Plenty of developers do what Playground do. Nobody in the industry does what IOI does. At least not without falling flat on their face. This is why people talking about buying IOI but retiring the Hitman IP are kind of missing the point of why IOI are so highly regarded as a developer. It's would be like buying Looking Glass back in the day but insisting they retire Thief. Like buying Ion Storm and insisting they retire Deus Ex.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
I think it's fairly safe to say IOI are a peerless developer. Plenty of developers do what Obsidian do. Plenty of developers do what Playground do. Nobody in the industry does what IOI does. At least not without falling flat on their face. This is why people talking about buying IOI but retiring the Hitman IP are kind of missing the point of why IOI are so highly regarded as a developer. It's would be like buying Looking Glass back in the day but insisting they retire Thief. Like buying Ion Storm and insisting they retire Deus Ex.
Excuse my ignorance but how are IO and that freelancer pic connected? Thx

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We gonna have to agree to disagree on that one, fam.

Excuse my ignorance but how are IO and that freelancer pic connected? Thx

They're not.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Fyi ioi owns Hitman, not Square. They were able to keep it when they bought themselves out. If you noticed, Hitman 2 is published by WB, not Square.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IDK, they have the license but I'm not sure about the IP
Someone addressed this over on the Hitman 2 thread. By the looks of it, they really do own the IP, "All rights reserved" and all that jazz. I think there might have been some confusion initially because transfers take some time. Like how TimeSplitters is still trademarked to Crytek last time I checked even though THQ Nordic own it now.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta agree with Dr. Caroll. What would we be the point acquiring IOI Interactive, if not to continue the one thing they specialize in?

To leverage their third person action games experience for something new and unencumbered in a genre Microsoft has lacked for quite some time.

Hitman just bombed. That can't be great for the morale of the studio.

Episodic Hitman content could be great for Game Pass, but they could work out a deal like that now with WB.

Also, these acquisitions are made with the frame of mind that MGS will trust studios to decide what to make themselves, and this is just conjecture here, but I think creatives constantly have new ideas and the only thing that holds them back is a lack of resources. With what is essentially a blank canvas and enough supplies to paint, why would IO want to make Hitman games on an exclusive basis? I would guess that they wouldn't. Their last game bombing probably wasn't great for morale either. A clean slate is something they'd probably most interested in.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To leverage their third person action games experience for something new and unencumbered in a genre Microsoft has lacked for quite some time.

Hitman just bombed. That can't be great for the morale of the studio.

Episodic Hitman content could be great for Game Pass, but they could work out a deal like that now with WB.

Also, these acquisitions are made with the frame of mind that MGS will trust studios to decide what to make themselves, and this is just conjecture here, but I think creatives constantly have new ideas and the only thing that holds them back is a lack of resources. With what is essentially a blank canvas and enough supplies to paint, why would IO want to make Hitman games on an exclusive basis? I would guess that they wouldn't. Their last game bombing probably wasn't great for morale either. A clean slate is something they'd probably most interested in.
Who said anything about Hitman games on an exclusive basis? IOI made multiple game series including Freedom Fighters and Kane & Lynch. (K&L2 is a particularly unforgettable experience.) The thing about Hitman, though, is that it's their baby. They have released 11 games as a company. Seven of them have been Hitman titles. I think you underestimate how much IOI employees love making Hitman games.

Take Crytek. They would dearly love to make Crysis 4. The fact Crysis 3 was a huge flop doesn't really matter to people who love a game series and want to make new entries in said series. I'm sure Eidos Montreal would love to make a sequel to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Poor sales don't necessarily dampen developer enthusiasm.

Also, Hitman 2's poor launch doesn't necessary mean long term doom and gloom. Hitman games tend to enjoy fairly long tails. Look at the number of people still playing Hitman: Absolution six years after launch. Also, the upcoming Absolution and Blood Money remasters for PS4/XBO will likely prove helpful for whipping up some extra enthusiasm around the series.

Jul 13, 2018
You guys talk as if 100+ devs is a lot, in this day a age even AA studios are 100+.

I agree. I'm not quite sure how Japanese studios fare in comparison with western developers, but a 200+ headcount and 3-5 year development cycles are standard for AAA game productions. A 100 person studio can definitely deliver a great product (Bethesda had a bit over 100 on Fallout 4), but it's not large by any means.

Edit: For an example of Japanese studio headcounts, Luminous Productions had ~300 people on FF XV.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

Is he permabanned? I knew him very well from a much smaller website.

As for all the halo talk I here, I think 343i has done well with multiplayer, but I want big team battles to come back in a big way. I dont like all the grenade spam either.

I'm not as big of a fan as others in here when it comes to the halo universe I wont speak too much about the story. All I know is I loved the original trilogy, and actually think 4 may have had the best story. 5, well locke sucks.

I think halo infinite will make some big changes, which halo needs. Who knows maybe it will rejuvenate the halo franchise.

I was always more of a gears my myself, but loved the original halo trilogy.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
As an aside, does anyone who lurked or posted on GAF remember percy? Now that dude was a fucking relentless troll.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would MS have to do with a new Splinter Cell?
Back when Splinter Cell was created, Ubisoft and Microsoft had a rather cosy relationship because Ubisoft wanted to make extremely ambitious games and Microsoft's console was by far the most powerful on the market. (See Far Cry: Instincts, too.) Splinter Cell was a showcase for the Xbox's lighting and showing capabilities, and every Splinter Cell until and including Double Agent was developed for Xbox hardware and then essentially rebuilt by another team for the other consoles. The original Splinter Cell was a timed exclusive for several months, and even though the later games were same day releases, they were basically extremely sophisticated demakes.

Microsoft snagged Splinter Cell: Conviction as a console exclusive somehow. MS have a long relationship with the series, but I'm personally dubious that the next Splinter Cell will be exclusive. It's not completely implausible, but Ubisoft aren't big on exclusivity deals with anyone unless it's some kind of Nintendo IP thing.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Is he permabanned? I knew him very well from a much smaller website.

As for all the halo talk I here, I think 343i has done well with multiplayer, but I want big team battles to come back in a big way. I dont like all the grenade spam either.

I'm not as big of a fan as others in here when it comes to the halo universe I wont speak too much about the story. All I know is I loved the original trilogy, and actually think 4 may have had the best story. 5, well locke sucks.

I think halo infinite will make some big changes, which halo needs. Who knows maybe it will rejuvenate the halo franchise.

I was always more of a gears my myself, but loved the original halo trilogy.

As an aside, does anyone who lurked or posted on GAF remember percy? Now that dude was a fucking relentless troll.

I know ethomaz, he is brazilian too, shame he is giving us brazilians a bad name, as there A LOT of brazilian xbox fans, especially a lot of brazilian xbox fans ITT who post here regularly.

Anyway when it comes to trolls/fanboys, the worst I've ever seen is thelastsword from some other forum in the internet, I don't remember this percy dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.