• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
https://www.resetera.com/threads/givewithxbox-donate-5-of-xbox-product-with-a-retweet.85283/

Please Retweet this, it costs nothing but a few seconds if you have a twitter. As someone with a disabled gamer in their life, this continuous outreach by Xbox is really heartwarming and tangible!!

Maybe give the thread a bump too so more people see it. Again it costs nothing, and regardless of console wars, it's a good cause.

This is amazing, kudos to MS.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Two points I'd like to talk about.

* Why is everyone assuming that Amazon is entering the market to be a competitor? I see them entering to extended their lead on the cloud services. I think their optimum goal is to rent their cloud services to Sony and Nintendo. Sony and Amazon both know that Microsoft have the advantage of having both, Cloud infrastructure and strong presence in VG industry. It would be too expensive for Sony to build a cloud service as competent as Azure and use it only for gaming. It is too risky for Amazon to enter the market as a competitor. Microsoft explosion in the last year when it comes to acquiring studios would push Amazon and Sony to rely on each other.
Looking at Amazon history, their second option would be tp build the Netflix version of video games and offer it on every console, PC, mobile out there. Knowing Microsoft current management, Phil and Satya, they would welcome that.
I can see them adding few studios to enhance Prime experience before I see them compete with the big three.
Bottom line, Amazon isn't a threat to Xbox unless Playstation goes to them.

* Now that I talked a lot about Amazon, I forgot the second point I'd like to talk about.
I hope Amazon doesn't enter as a console manufacturer. While competition is good, 3 (4 with PC) is already a really crowded market. I'd rather Amazon comes in as a big publisher/licences their cloud services to others, but leave the consoles to those already here.

That being said, if they do release a console/streaming platform, I'd at least expect them to stick with it and eat up costs longer than Google or Apple.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they marketed ashen more, unless I missed it... I wanted to see more details. I guess it's good I have game pass until the 12th to see if I really enjoy it.

Commanderbuck

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Looking forward to that Sea of Thieves podcast with Matt Booty. Interested to see his vision on games and teams. Hope the podcast will have some depth.

Apr 6, 2018
https://www.343industries.com/careers
Several new jobs appeared in the last month.
Interesting ones:
production
-outsource producer
-senior live producer
-executive business administrator
design:
-senior level design
art
-senior enviroment artist
-multiplayer lead artist

Looks like the situation is pretty intense in 343
iRdrUFp.jpg

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The disadvantage over Netflix is that games are more expensive and dev time is definitely longer. Well let's see.

This is something I've thought about for a while. Their solution seems to be to just get a LOT of studios. Hopefully it's cost effective for them.

https://www.343industries.com/careers
Several new jobs appeared in the last month.
Interesting ones:
production
-outsource producer
-senior live producer
-executive business administrator
design:
-senior level design
art
-senior enviroment artist
-multiplayer lead artist

Looks like the situation is pretty intense in 343
iRdrUFp.jpg

This almost doesn't seem like a good sign, at least not for people wanting halo sooner rather than later

Isn't level design blocked out pretty early on usually? Artists I can see coming later, but that list includes senior level designer. Not even some extra guy for man power. The lead person. Hm :/

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
This almost doesn't seem like a good sign, at least not for people wanting halo sooner rather than later

Isn't level design blocked out pretty early on usually? Artists I can see coming later, but that list includes senior level designer. Not even some extra guy for man power. The lead person. Hm :/
Typically yes, but if the lead is going to leave or something relatively soonish, they'd want a replacement and train the person. Listings can stay up for even over a year at times until they get to the point where they actually need the person.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is something I've thought about for a while. Their solution seems to be to just get a LOT of studios. Hopefully it's cost effective for them.

The pessimistic angle here is that a lot of people will be moving on after concluding their work Halo Infinite and 343i.

I don't think there's another studio out there that talented that feels as wasted as 343i do by continuing to desperately claw on to an IP that has had its best days behind it and is continuously declining in sales and relevance. Oh well.

Spencer: I'd Hesitate to Look for a Studio That's Only Capable of Developing Games on One Device
https://wccftech.com/spencer-hesitate-studio-only-one-device/

Too lazy to copy the content of the article so go there for reading ...

It's consistent with what Phil has said about wanting games available wherever and whenever consumers want them.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For all the Halo thirsty fans desperately waiting for news why not read or re-read some of the books. I learned something very interesting in the last one named "Halo Silent Storm" which I did not know about the 117 story.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
The pessimistic angle here is that a lot of people will be moving on after concluding their work Halo Infinite and 343i.

I don't think there's another studio out there that talented that feels as wasted as 343i do by continuing to desperately claw on to an IP that has had its best days behind it and is continuously declining in sales and relevance. Oh well.

It's consistent with what Phil has said about wanting games available wherever and whenever consumers want them.
Could have said the same about God of War 4 before it released, yet look what happened there. It's as big as ever now.

People saying that Halo is a dead IP that will never get popular again are annoying.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

I completely disagree. People act like the series is on this huge decline. Halo 4 was the fastest selling game in the series and likely sold above 10 million. Halo 5 has declined a bit probably around 8 million sells and that's most likely duo to 343's bad approach to the campaign. A must step caused 1 game to decline 20%. The series is fine and is one great game away from having another 10 million seller.

My second point is halo is still awesome and It always will have a place is my heart. Pump away 343.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
This got completely ignored on the next gen thread so I thought I did post it here, Brad Sams from Thurott talking abut about next gen:

Also an arcticle abput Phil speaking at a Barclays event:

https://wccftech.com/spencer-hesitate-studio-only-one-device/

We think about content as a critical, critical aspect as gamers play games. The community around these games, allowing people to be connected to their players and their friends and their content across all the devices is why we invest in Xbox Live and Mixer, our video streaming platform, and then cloud. So, we think about it as three Cs, content, community and cloud. Cloud is the way we can deliver community and content to a player on any device. Yes, I'd say I'd hesitate to look for a game studio that's only capable of building on one device because gamers play games on all devices, and I think you're missing out on an opportunity if you're not thinking about games that can work everywhere players show up.

He's obviously referring first and foremost to Project xCloud, which Microsoft believes will help increase the TAM (total addressable market) from hundreds of millions to billions as all games become available on any device. This will begin with Android devices, he clarified, before highlighting the inherent synergy with Xbox Game Pass.

We focus first on Android phones, because there are 1 billion Android phones on the planet and it's a place with the content that we've natively built up over the past decades on our platform, has it been able to reach. But, we look at cloud streaming as a way over the years where we're able to bring content to customers on any device that they have, regardless of the local compute capabilities. Again, building the experience around the customer, giving the customer choice on where they want to play. And obviously, when you look at that, we have multiple business models that will work with streaming. But, the connection of streaming with the subscription model makes a ton of sense. You see it in music, you see it in video. So, you can look at Project xCloud and you can look at something like Game Pass, and you can see there is a natural synergy between those two.​

Xbox Game Pass itself was described by Spencer as a sort of flywheel to attract customers. This, in turn, explains the increased investments Microsoft has been making in the form of the seven game studios acquired this year (Undead Labs, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games, inXile Entertainment, Obsidian Entertainment, and The Initiative).

[…] we've built Game Pass and it started on the Xbox One console. It will come to PC and eventually it will come to every device. We use the flywheel that we have with customers on an Xbox to start the growth in Game Pass. But if somebody is sitting back and taking a longer term view of where our business is going, you should look at that as a business model that we think scales to billions of people, not hundreds of millions of people like retail does. So, for us, growing Game Pass early, we're seeing the success in Game Pass today. It's been critically important where the content investment, first party studious investments we're making now are all about accelerating the flywheel of customers coming in and we're seeing that work.​

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

My dude, I like a lot of your ideas on things but this overly negative, non-subjective constant putdown of Halo and 343 is tiresome and filled with non-facts.

1. You don't know what these devs feel.

2. They aren't "desperately" clawing on to the IP. It's the job they were hired for. Do you desperately claw at your job? Don't be ridiculous.

3. How would you know the best days are behind it? What determines that exactly? Many IP's have had that said about it only to rebound with later entries. You don't give up on iconic, influential and STILL currently money making IP's.

4. Your claim of continuous declines in sales is disingenuous seeing as 5 did gangbusters for MS

5. Relevance or the lack thereof is not solely due to the game itself but many factors, like competition in the FPS market with COD and Battlefield. You don't even try to use context here.

I honestly do not get this desire from you to wholly abandon iconic and well selling IP's. It makes no fiscal, or even basic common sense.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Two points I'd like to talk about.

* Why is everyone assuming that Amazon is entering the market to be a competitor? I see them entering to extended their lead on the cloud services. I think their optimum goal is to rent their cloud services to Sony and Nintendo. Sony and Amazon both know that Microsoft have the advantage of having both, Cloud infrastructure and strong presence in VG industry. It would be too expensive for Sony to build a cloud service as competent as Azure and use it only for gaming. It is too risky for Amazon to enter the market as a competitor. Microsoft explosion in the last year when it comes to acquiring studios would push Amazon and Sony to rely on each other.
Looking at Amazon history, their second option would be tp build the Netflix version of video games and offer it on every console, PC, mobile out there. Knowing Microsoft current management, Phil and Satya, they would welcome that.
I can see them adding few studios to enhance Prime experience before I see them compete with the big three.
Bottom line, Amazon isn't a threat to Xbox unless Playstation goes to them.

* Now that I talked a lot about Amazon, I forgot the second point I'd like to talk about.
I would have said the same about Amazon offering TV show streaming, yet then arrived Prime Video. I think they realized they can have their cake and eat it too (i.e. AWS supplies services to competitors of the bigger Amazon, look at Netflix using AWS as an example). AWS can be a partner for Nintendo and Sony, while Amazon can have their own "Amazon Prime Games". With Google and Microsoft planning to offer game streaming, there is no significant neutral competition.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Could have said the same about God of War 4 before it released, yet look what happened there. It's as big as ever now.

People saying that Halo is a dead IP that will never get popular again are annoying.
I completely disagree. People act like the series is on this huge decline. Halo 4 was the fastest selling game in the series and likely sold above 10 million. Halo 5 has declined a bit probably around 8 million sells and that's most likely duo to 343's bad approach to the campaign. A must step caused 1 game to decline 20%. The series is fine and is one great game away from having another 10 million seller.

My second point is halo is still awesome and It always will have a place is my heart. Pump away 343.

Exactly. Thank you. Btw, Halo 5 was the fastest selling not 4. It also had the biggest launch of any title I believe up until FH4. It may still have it being it's biggest selling IP this gen still.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

Halo for life!!! :)

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Exactly. Thank you. Btw, Halo 5 was the fastest selling not 4. It also had the biggest launch of any title I believe up until FH4. It may still have it being it's biggest selling IP this gen still.
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-4-Game-...rds=halo+4&dpPl=1&dpID=51mynT29AXL&ref=plSrch

Says halo 4 is the best selling halo game ever on the cover art.
Also no way that halo 5 was the fastest selling one. Frankie said it did 5 million in 3 months. Halo 3,4 and reach probably sold faster. Nonetheless halo 5 has sold good.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-4-Game-...rds=halo+4&dpPl=1&dpID=51mynT29AXL&ref=plSrch

Says halo 4 is the best selling halo game ever on the cover art.
Also no way that halo 5 was the fastest selling one. Frankie said it did 5 million in 3 months. Halo 3,4 and reach probably sold faster. Nonetheless halo 5 has sold good.

No sir. That is 5

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-biggest-launch-in-halo-history/#3f0095c09e74

Halo 5: Guardians is the fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft.

The game's launch also marks the biggest so far on the Xbox One, with over $400 million in global games and hardware sales, bringing total franchise sales to over $5 billion.

By comparison, Halo 4 made $220 million in its first 24 hours, and $300 million in its first week, making it the biggest Halo launch at the time.

Oct 26, 2017
So with Below finally having its release date, tomorrow HAS to be Ashen:s release at the TGA, because what other Xbox indie titles could they have meant? Plus that the Ashen Twitter has been saying it several times that it would release this year.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
No sir. That is 5

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-biggest-launch-in-halo-history/#3f0095c09e74

Halo 5: Guardians is the fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft.

The game's launch also marks the biggest so far on the Xbox One, with over $400 million in global games and hardware sales, bringing total franchise sales to over $5 billion.

By comparison, Halo 4 made $220 million in its first 24 hours, and $300 million in its first week, making it the biggest Halo launch at the time.
I wish it did that good but no. Halo 4's 300$ million was game sells only. Halo 5's 400$ million included console sells. It did not sells more copies than halo 3 or 4 at launch. Both halo 3 and 4 did about 4 million copies sold through to consumer in its first week. Halo 5 did 5 million shipped(including digital) in 3 months.

Oct 26, 2017
Halo clearly isn't releasing next year. So that leaves early to mid 2020 or simply late 2020 so that it launch with the Scarlett. It will definitely be the latter.

Nov 8, 2017
Halo getting 4-5 years between games is crazy to me. 5 launched in October of 2015

They didn't announce it for 2019 like they did for Gears, so reading between the lines it's definitely 2020 or later. Common theory is cross-gen launch title for their new system, sort of a BOTW situation. If they really want to make a reinvigorate the series, then going big and taking a long time to make it is the perfect way to do that.

Personally, open world halo sounds very unexciting so I hope it's not that, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't think the market would lap that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.