• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
You know what would be awesome? A Gears of War RPG in the same vein as Fallout.

Even a mod that replaces the BOS with the COG, Super Mutants with Locast/Swarm variants, radiant creatures with the Lambent, Enclave with the UIR, Stranded and Outsider villages, it'd be pretty neat.

Never thought of that possibility. Have Xbox consoles ever come out around those times? The OG Xbox? I know for sure the 360 didn't.
OG was November 2001.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Was it posted that Ashen is "available now" in the Xbox store for someone?

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/a3akq7/ashen_showing_available_now_on_the_xbox_store/

Oh and that Phil will be present at TGA? Not sure if that means anything though.
He's going to come out Vince McMahon style, and say that he just bought Sony Interactive Entertainment... Only for Major Nelson to appear on screen, at SIE headquarters, to announce that he now owns SIE.

Spencer vs Nelson, the battle of all ages.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
So, four releases one for each Friday for their Winter ID promo?
Dec 7: Ashen
Dec 14: Below
Dec 21: ??
Dec 28: ??

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
So with Below finally having its release date, tomorrow HAS to be Ashen:s release at the TGA, because what other Xbox indie titles could they have meant? Plus that the Ashen Twitter has been saying it several times that it would release this year.
Do we have a technical date for Winter of Arcade yet?
If not, I still believe Ashen and Below could part of it.

Other potential games:
After Party
Ooblets
Super Meat Boy Forever
Waking
The Artful Escape
and last but not least..... Undertale

These are the only ones (off the top of my head) that make sense (aside from Undertale, but I truly believe that game is coming eventually).

Oct 25, 2017
I know this thread is about studios, but so nice to see Below finally coming in almost one week! Can't wait!

giphy.gif

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
If it doesn't launch until 2020, that means it's a Scarlett launch title which could be something special.
AND...first party games launch day and date, so it's a launch title exclusive that no one should doubt will be at least a 90 MetaCritic....and it's essentially free b/c Game Pass.

They're going to launch the new xbox with essentially a Halo: Infinite pack-in title. Mark my words.

Phil is out for blood in ConsoleGen9 and he ain't playing around.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Do we have a technical date for Winter of Arcade yet?
If not, I still believe Ashen and Below could part of it.

Other potential games:
After Party
Ooblets
Super Meat Boy Forever
Waking
The Artful Escape
and last but not least..... Undertale

These are the only ones (off the top of my head) that make sense (aside from Undertale, but I truly believe that game is coming eventually).
I actually think it makes it even more likely that it's a Winter of Arcade game. Could it be one per week with Ashen launching this Friday, Below the next, and two more on the 21st and 28th respectively? Seems very likely, in my opinion.

I also think with the Game Pass stuff on Twitter, they may all be included.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
2 names for acquisitions I've been hearing on the world of Twitter, Psyonix and Giant Sparrow

Psyonix makes no sense though because they basically have one successful (very successful) game that's already on every platform and even on Game Pass. Can't see what the point in acquiring them would be, they don't have anywhere near the value and potential that Mojang has with Mincraft. They'd have to do something else

That studio that made Smite is a good example, Smite was popular but then they made Paladins which is a very popular game on Steam and a good alternative to Overwatch. Psyonix would need to show that they're not a one hit wonder.

Also they're not exactly hurting for cash either.

Not sure about the other one, they made that Edith whatever game, not my kind of game but apparently it was critically a smash hit, may be a good dev for Game Pass.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
So after Crackdown 3, do you guys think that they'll buy one of Sumo Digital's studios (not the whole company, obviously), they'll buy another partner like Reagent, they'll start up a whole studio completely (if so please get the devs who made Mercenaries), or they'll keep contracting it?

They want to make it a big franchise on the level of Halo, so it really begs the question on where they'll go from here. The biggest problem would be starting a studio from scratch as it'll then take even longer for 4, even if they use the borrowed tech used for 3.

Mohamed

Jul 16, 2018
Nice info in that tweet ...

Among all the teams under Microsoft Game Studios, this team has been the real MVP this generation. Amazing amazing job really. Now that we have more than 550 games already, I'd like the team to focus more on enhancing the games. I'd like to see Xbox One games enhanced for the next box starting 2021.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
I for one am looking forward to the day when the acquisition talks are over. I feel like we've been going round and round in circles for months here. To be fair it's much better than the alternative of nothing to talk about. But it'll be good when we know what these studios are working on and we can talk about that.

I'm looking forward to see how Ashen and Below turn out. Do we know what influence MSGP (or MS in general) would have on their release dates? Just seems odd for both to release so close to each other. They aren't the same but you'd think they share an audience.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I know this thread is about studios, but so nice to see Below finally coming in almost one week! Can't wait!

People harp on about Crackdown and how long it's been in development and delayed but often ignore this with Below. This game was literally showcased when the XB1 was revealed five years ago. Sheesh.

Here's to hoping it's even half worthy of all that wait.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after Crackdown 3, do you guys think that they'll buy one of Sumo Digital's studios (not the whole company, obviously), they'll buy another partner like Reagent, they'll start up a whole studio completely (if so please get the devs who made Mercenaries), or they'll keep contracting it?

They want to make it a big franchise on the level of Halo, so it really begs the question on where they'll go from here. The biggest problem would be starting a studio from scratch as it'll then take even longer for 4, even if they use the borrowed tech used for 3.

It's hard to say. I have a hard time seeing Crackdown becoming a pillar for XBOX. I think the tech they've developed is carried forward and the IP is put to rest. Hope I'm wrong lol.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

I'm on the fence with Sumo D. They just don't do anything for me by the way of inspiring hope for any future releases from them. Even with Crackdown 3, I'm not totally convinced that it'll be good and when seeing something like Agents of Mayhem from Volition (whom I love and wish MS would/could really acquire) and how it's essentially the same type of game barring a few differences, I'm even less convinced that all time making the game will turn in something worthy. You never know I suppose but if I had any say on it, I'd be going for another studio.

I for one am looking forward to the day when the acquisition talks are over. I feel like we've been going round and round in circles for months here. To be fair it's much better than the alternative of nothing to talk about. But it'll be good when we know what these studios are working on and we can talk about that.

I'm looking forward to see how Ashen and Below turn out. Do we know what influence MSGP (or MS in general) would have on their release dates? Just seems odd for both to release so close to each other. They aren't the same but you'd think they share an audience.

I'm not. Reading/hearing all these rumors of acquisitions and seeing many come to fruition fills me with joy and faith knowing that MS is heavily investing into the platform with these quality developers as quality games have to follow.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018

Hard to see why Sumo would be interested in selling that wing off when they could in theory keep getting paid to make more Crackdowns?
I think they could keep farming Crackdown out to second parties. And by that I mean give the tech to Avalanche to make 4

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we've been waiting for Ashen and Below since forever, and now they're both dropping in consecutive weeks. What a time to be alive, mates.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
What's the Meta prediction for Crackdown 3 right now? I have it at a 76-78

If the Initiative's game doesn't get a 90 that's going to be an instant L as far as I'm concerned.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

If the Initiative's game doesn't get a 90 that's going to be an instant L as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know the predictions on it but I'd wager a mid to high 70 score as well which isn't bad, but isn't good enough after all this time either.

I agree with you that the Initiative can't come in and fuck up. I don't know if it needs to be a 90 meta game exactly. High 80's should be fine but they can't be lower than that.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Ninja theory will be 76-79.
Based on what? They're a consistent 80+ developer.

Their last 3 major games, Enslaved, DmC, Hellblade were all 81+ games. There is no merit on their next game being a sub 80 game, unless they royally fuck up.

I don't know the predictions on it but I'd wager a mid to high 70 score as well which isn't bad, but isn't good enough after all this time either.

I agree with you that the Initiative can't come in and fuck up. I don't know if it needs to be a 90 meta game exactly. High 80's should be fine but they can't be lower than that.

I' say it needs to be a 90 based on the money and talent going into it. The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft's best studio, better than Coalition, Playground, 343, Obsidian etc. They're suppose to be the AAAA studio and on the same level as Rockstar/CDPR

A sub 90 would be disappointing.

Oct 26, 2018

Their last 3 major games, Enslaved, DmC, Hellblade were all 81+ games. There is no merit on their next game being a sub 80 game, unless they royally fuck up.

I' say it needs to be a 90 based on the money and talent going into it. The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft's best studio, better than Coalition, Playground, 343, Obsidian etc. They're suppose to be the AAAA studio and on the same level as Rockstar/CDPR

Do people actually think ninja theory can make a bad game? Whoever said that should be ashamed

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Obsidian, Ninja Theory are 85+
Obsidian was close to 90 with both Pillars of Eternity titles.

Sony has 2 90+ developers, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog, nothing reaches their quality.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I'd say it needs to be a 90 based on the money and talent going into it. The Initiative is suppose to be Microsoft's best studio, better than Coalition, Playground, 343, Obsidian etc. They're suppose to be the AAAA studio and on the same level as Rockstar/CDPR

I do feel you on this, outside of them supposedly being in the tier of R* and CDPR, or being better than all the other studios in MS, but since they're acquiring the best talent possible and being touted as an AAAA studio they can't turn in a subpar game. I think a sub 90 game is perfectly fine though.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

Who the hell said any of this ^^^ What a ridiculous notion.

Do you know how hard it is to develop or create anything for mass consumption? There's no guarantees in the professional creators world. No matter how much money, resources or talent thats attached to a creative endeavor. It doesnt work that way. All they can do is put in 110%. The rest is pure destiny.

Comments like these are annoying.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
People harp on about Crackdown and how long it's been in development and delayed but often ignore this with Below. This game was literally showcased when the XB1 was revealed five years ago. Sheesh.

Here's to hoping it's even half worthy of all that wait.
Cuphead was awesome and worth the wait, so who knows.

Plenty of games I've disliked have gotten fairly high MC reviews, and plenty that I've loved have gotten low MC reviews. If Microsoft is still willing to support SoT and SoD2 despite their low scores, then my guess it's not that important to them.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it will be in the low 70s, possibly even high 60s. For better or worse it seems Crackdown in 2019 except for a fun but limited multiplayer with destruction. I don't think the general audience wants that right now. I do, for what it's worth.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Who the hell said any of this ^^^ What a ridiculous notion.

Do you know how hard it is to develop or create anything for mass consumption? There's no guarantees in the professional creators world. No matter how much money, resources or talent thats attached to a creative endeavor. It doesnt work that way. All they can do is put in 110%. The rest is pure destiny.

Comments like these are annoying.

You're not wrong as far as subjectivity goes as they can't control what reviewers feel necessarily, but in this instance, at least how I meant it and how I inferred Rami Seb to mean it, is that with all of this talent they have to turn in a game that has all of the intangibles of a well made game narratively and technically to get the desired result of a high scoring release.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Do people actually think ninja theory can make a bad game? Whoever said that should be ashamed

I mean anyone can make a bad game but Ninja Theory has the track record to be a consistent mid-high 80's developer if not possible 90 now that they don't have to worry about financial backing, technology and resources

I mean the fact that they made Hellblade with 20 something people and a small budget is evident enough of their talent

Sony has 2 90+ developers, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog, nothing reaches their quality.

I would put a full budget Obsidian and Playground on that level of quality. Frankly I'm not impressed with Naughty Dog, especially since a lot of their big names left. They're still one of Sony's 2 best developers though.

I think it will be in the low 70s, possibly even high 60s. For better or worse it seems Crackdown in 2019 except for a fun but limited multiplayer with destruction. I don't think the general audience wants that right now. I do, for what it's worth.

I'd bank on it at least hitting the 70's. State of Decay 2 came close but was panned for its buggy-ness. Sea of Thieves came close but it lacked content. It doesn't seem like Crackdown 3 is going to have any of these issues, the only way I see it hitting sub 70 is if the game flat out sucks ei not fun, no redeeming qualities etc. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 despite their flaws have redeeming qualities.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

You people don't need to get upset.. 😒
It's just a baseless prediction of mine, and going from 81+ to 79 doesn't mean they royally fucked up. It could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule or they tried something different. For some reason I can imagine them releasing a small little divisive game that some will consider an absolute gem.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
You people don't need to get upset.. 😒
It's just a baseless prediction of mine, and going from 81+ to 79 doesn't mean they royally fucked up. It could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule or they tried something different. For some reason I can imagine them releasing a small little divisive game that some will consider an absolute gem.

Who's getting upset? Just because someone questions your post doesn't mean they're upset. The entire point of this forum is to discuss.

Yes it could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule. I did say previously that anyone can make a bad game, even top tier devs like Santa Monica and CDPR can fuck up for a variety of reasons ei budget, manpower, time constraints etc.

How is an 81 divisive exactly? That would imply that the general consensus is that the game is pretty great and that it's even more impressive given the manpower and resources NT had when making it.

I mean, Sunset Overdrive had an 81 as well, and most people consider it one of the better Xbox One exclusives this gen (not that that's saying much) even though I personally think its overrated and would rather MS not bother with a sequel.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
It's more likely that you will see multiple SKUs for Xbox Live. The basic SKU being XBL and GP and higher SKUs including XCloud streaming.
I don't think XCloud is going to result in extra subscription fees for current Xbox users. I believe that when you own a game or subscribe to Gamepass you will have the option to stream to your browser, phone, tablet, new devices for tv. The XBL question is getting more interesting though. PC players won't buy XBL, mobile won't either. What is MS going to do going forward? As an Xbox user am I damned to pay for the services available on PC for free? People always think I'm crazy but the base XBL paywall is really hard to justify for MS and the only thing that makes sense to me is that they abolish it. At this point Xbox fans are suckers to pay for this. I'm saying this as a fan that has paid for XBL since day 1 of XBL pretty much.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if GamePass comes to Switch in Japan via xCloud as a way into that market without having to waste resources selling consoles in a country that won't buy them.
Depending on Nintendo's own plans for the future and whether MS will make them an offer they can't decline, I could see xCloud becoming available on Switch in any region.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Who's getting upset? Just because someone questions your post doesn't mean they're upset. The entire point of this forum is to discuss.

Yes it could mean they were asked to work on a tighter schedule. I did say previously that anyone can make a bad game, even top tier devs like Santa Monica and CDPR can fuck up for a variety of reasons ei budget, manpower, time constraints etc.

How is an 81 divisive exactly? That would imply that the general consensus is that the game is pretty great

You're not the first one to question the NT game average i "predicted", but there really is nothing to question: I am not implying they are an average developer, it's just gut feeling based on... nothing at all!

And 81 could mean it's a 100 for some and a 60 for someone else. Divisive, since we're talking about average score.
Which, to me, has little to do with a game's actual quality or developer's talent.
Also, with 81 meaning pretty great, why do you think 76-79 suddenly means "royally fucked up" ?
I can just see them releasing something that will go down as a little niche gem for someone, while not appealing to many.

Besides, since the old Zzap! days I've been thinking real quality hides in 75% games. My favourite games were always those weird little things in the 70/80 range...

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No sir. That is 5

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-biggest-launch-in-halo-history/#3f0095c09e74

Halo 5: Guardians is the fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft.

The game's launch also marks the biggest so far on the Xbox One, with over $400 million in global games and hardware sales, bringing total franchise sales to over $5 billion.

By comparison, Halo 4 made $220 million in its first 24 hours, and $300 million in its first week, making it the biggest Halo launch at the time.

Halo 4 is still the best selling Halo game of all time though. Confirmed by NPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.