• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I am not gonna watch TGA tonight, it's not an ideal time for me. Instead I'll just watch the whole thing tomorrow in the morning. I assume they will have the full show ready, won't they?

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on the fence with Sumo D. They just don't do anything for me by the way of inspiring hope for any future releases from them. Even with Crackdown 3, I'm not totally convinced that it'll be good and when seeing something like Agents of Mayhem from Volition (whom I love and wish MS would/could really acquire) and how it's essentially the same type of game barring a few differences, I'm even less convinced that all time making the game will turn in something worthy. You never know I suppose but if I had any say on it, I'd be going for another studio.

It's not just a few differences, other than the visuals, the gameplay is pretty distinct between the 2.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
It looks fairly similar to me but let me ask you (and anyone here) who would you rather MS acquire if given the chance to develop games like Crackdown and beyond? Sumo Digital or Volition?
For Crackdown / open world games alone? Probably Volition. They have a lot more experience in the field. We'll see how CD3 turns out though.

For what the entire company could offer Xbox? Sumo Digital.
-The CD3 team could continue working on Crackdown
-Team Sonic Racing team on a kart racer or a third pillar racing game alongside Motorsport and Horizon.
-Snake Pass team on family friendly projects
-The Chinese Room on horror / story driven atmospheric games

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's what I was thinking and it can't be for Winter of Arcade either, right? They would just say that since they've already announced it.

Mhmmmmmm.....
I expect it to be something low-key, yea. Maybe a new batch of Game Pass games, Crackdown 3 campaign trailer, ... Stuff like that.

Imo the best that could come out of this would be a Battletoads trailer. I really want to see that game.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect it to be something low-key, yea. Maybe a new batch of Game Pass games, Crackdown 3 campaign trailer, ... Stuff like that.

I've been the one trying to tell others to reign in their expectations and not expect any new game reveals, but a special announcement doesn't shout Game Pass or updates on already announced games to me.

Oh well, it starts at silly o'clock in the morning for me so I'll just catch the news, whatever it is when I get up for work tomorrow.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Is the Coalition really developing the next PD? Cause I keep seeing people here say that.

giphy.gif

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
For Crackdown / open world games alone? Probably Volition. They have a lot more experience in the field. We'll see how CD3 turns out though.

-Team Sonic Racing team on a kart racer or a third pillar racing game alongside Motorsport and Horizon.

Hmmm...I can see your point but I just haven't seen enough from Sumo to make me believe they'd be worth it, nor do I have much faith in a kart game being successful, but that's more my own bias speaking as I'm not the biggest fan of them outside of Mario Kart games.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...I can see your point but I just haven't seen enough from Sumo to make me believe they'd be worth it, nor do I have much faith in a kart game being successful, but that's more my own bias speaking as I'm not the biggest fan of them outside of Mario Kart games.
It wouldn't have to be a kart/mascot racer. Sumo Digital has a long history of working on racing games. They made the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2, for instance.

Xbox has other racing/car IPs that they can mine. Mainly PGR, Midtown Madness and Rallisport Challenge.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
It wouldn't have to be a kart/mascot racer. Sumo Digital has a long history of working on racing games. They made the 360 version of Forza Horizon 2, for instance.

Xbox has other racing/car IPs that they can mine. Mainly PGR, Midtown Madness and Rallisport Challenge.

I see but I don't think the cost for them justifies a possibly successful racer, especially when MS already has the best reviewed and largely respected king of racers in the Forza franchise. It's oversaturation and unneeded in my opinion seeing how niche the genre is. Conversely I can easily see Volition making a wide variety of genres that would be successful.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I see but I don't think the cost for them justifies a possibly successful racer, especially when MS already has the best reviewed and largely respected king of racers in the Forza franchise. It's oversaturation and unneeded in my opinion seeing how niche the genre is. Conversely I can easily see Volition making a wide variety of genres that would be successful.
Depends on what they're planning for the Motorsport and Horizon series going forward, I guess. If they're moving to a three year cycle for FM and FH, then I wouldn't mind a third pillar racing series.

Plus, they took a chance with Horizon and it proved to be a success for them. A lot of people didn't think it would work back then.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Depends on what they're planning for the Motorsport and Horizon series going forward, I guess. If they're moving to a three year cycle for FM and FH, then I wouldn't mind a third pillar racing series.

Plus, they took a chance with Horizon and it proved to be a success for them. A lot of people didn't think it would work back then.

No argument there I just think from a point of need versus want, I see no real want (i.e. demand) of another racer when they have FM and FH. Not when there are so many other genres out there and ones they are in need of.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
It looks fairly similar to me but let me ask you (and anyone here) who would you rather MS acquire if given the chance to develop games like Crackdown and beyond? Sumo Digital or Volition?

Looks is one thing, but play them both and it'll become apparent that they aren't very alike. AoM has more of a focus on gunplay, whereas Crackdown's more of a platformer with guns. I'm a massive fan of the Crackdown games and bought AoM earlier this year, hoping it'd fill that Crackdown void until 3 released, but it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't. It's a decent game in its own right though.

As for who MS should acquire? Volition made Saints Row IV, which apparently is much more like the Crackdown games.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
No argument there I just think from a point of need versus want, I see no real want (i.e. demand) of another racer when they have FM and FH. Not when there are so many other genres out there and ones they are in need of.
Agreed.

With Sumo, the racing team would be a part of the package and not the only reason to buy the company.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
It's seems MS has considered buying EA, but probably thought it was better to buy independent studios. I still say they buy someone like Sega in the next two years.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
It's seems MS has considered buying EA, but probably thought it was better to buy independent studios. I still say they buy someone like Sega in the next two years.
Been on the cards for years but it's never happened. If I was ms I'd buy them just to rebrand the Xbox in Japan to Sega (insert name).

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

I like the idea of Sumo as an acquisition because almost everything they make fits the Game Pass model. They have 4 teams that work on a variety of different things. They handle ports, other studio IP and make their own stuff. Would be a good studio to give older IPs to and they can continue to take chances on some of their original niche stuff. Seem like the right team to handle Mech Assualt, Crimson Skies and some of Rares older IPs.

Buying Sumo would be like purchasing 4 AA developers except since those teams are used to working under one company, they'd be more flexible than 4 studios out on their own island.

Oct 26, 2017
So far there has been so much good news but that article about how Phil wants Game Pass on every platform sounds weird to me. If he means not only PC and phones but also the competitor's consoles.... why would potential Xbox buyers even consider grabbing a Xbox One or Scarlett in two years? And that would mean all the new studios with their new games would be all available on Switch and Playstation?

I don't believe that for a second. Because again, many players would just stick with PS or Switch if that's gonna be the case. That can't be Phil's intention. Sure, the "loyal" Xbox players will stick around but what about potential new players? I'm probably seeing it the wrong way but I do wonder how else I am supposed to see it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
So far there has been so much good news but that article about how Phil wants Game Pass on every platform sounds weird to me. If he means not only PC and phones but also the competitor's consoles.... why would potential Xbox buyers even consider grabbing a Xbox One or Scarlett in two years? And that would mean all the new studios with their new games would be all available on Switch and Playstation?

I don't believe that for a second. Because again, many players would just stick with PS or Switch if that's gonna be the case. That can't be Phil's intention. Sure, the "loyal" Xbox players will stick around but what about potential new players? I'm probably seeing it the wrong way but I do wonder how else I am supposed to see it.
Microsoft doesn't care where you play, they just care that you are subscribed and can monetize on top of that. Devices don't matter, users do.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

They believe that ecosystems, services and subscriptions are vital parts of the future of gaming. They want XBL and their services to be available on as many platforms as possible. And they want the users on those platforms to be exposed to Microsoft's ecosystem and services. Whether or not Sony is going to let that happen is a different question altogether.

Game Pass on other platforms than Xbox and PC is likely going to be streaming based anyways as I doubt MS wants to devote too many resources to multiplatform development.

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft doesn't care where you play, they just care that you are subscribed and can monetize on top of that. Devices don't matter, users do.
They believe that ecosystems, services and subscriptions are vital parts of the future of gaming. They want XBL and their services to be available on as many platforms as possible. And they want the users on those platforms to be exposed to Microsoft's ecosystem and services. Whether or not Sony is going to let that happen is a different question altogether.

Game Pass on other platforms than Xbox and PC is likely going to be streaming based anyways as I doubt MS wants to devote too many resources to multiplatform development.

Hmmm I see. Yeah I really don't believe Sony will allow it at all, they sure didn't allow EA Access. Nintendo.... doubt that. Besides wouldn't that mean a lot of the exclusives especially would need a significant downgrade of some sort to be able to run on Switch or a future Nintendo system which undoubtedly won't compete with Scarlett power wise?

Whatever the case, I just hope we'll be having traditional Xbox systems for a long time. Let that streaming only future be far into the future please :(

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

The mistake you are doing looks like this:

Xbox = Hardware.

This is wrong. Hardware is just a small part of the Xbox division. Does MS still want to sell hardware? Hell, of course they want that. This is why they will have multiple options for hardware for next-gen. And yes, this is also why they will - probably - offer the strongest console you can play their games on as an option. But that's - not at all - their main intention. Hardware is just one - of many possible - entry points to their ecosystem. A gamer playing Forza Horizon 4 on an iPad is their user - their customer - spending money and time in the Xbox ecosystem just like someone who plays the game on his premium Xbox V.

So the correct definition should be

Xbox = a user in their ecosystem.

You will have a much better understanding about the future if you keep that in mind.

An Xbox exclusive game like Halo: Infinite will still be an exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem no matter which device you are playing this game on.

Last edited:

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States

I don't think that will happen in the next generation microsoft is going to have it all over tablets,laptops and phones and certain smart TVs that's why we are starting to see all the articles on it majolry with the media all a sudden seems like they are about to make a major move would they put it on Nintendo & PlayStation maybe in a generation down the line if consoles are still a thing but at this point I don't see them paying 30% to anyone except maybe Apple to get into their base.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I see. Yeah I really don't believe Sony will allow it at all, they sure didn't allow EA Access. Nintendo.... doubt that. Besides wouldn't that mean a lot of the exclusives especially would need a significant downgrade of some sort to be able to run on Switch or a future Nintendo system which undoubtedly won't compete with Scarlett power wise?

Whatever the case, I just hope we'll be having traditional Xbox systems for a long time. Let that streaming only future be far into the future please :(
Hence why I think Game Pass other platforms will use a streaming solution. If it happens at all, that is.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018

Xbox = Hardware.

This is wrong. Hardware is just a small part of the Xbox division. Does MS still want to sell hardware? Hell, of course they want that. But that's - not at all - their main intention. Hardware is just one - of many possible - entry points to their ecosystem. A gamer playing Forza Horizon 4 on an iPad is their user - their customer - spending money and time in the Xbox ecosystem. The correct definition should be

You will have a much better understanding about the future if you keep that in mind.
I get what your saying but I don't see that many people are going to want to play on their iPad or phones. I think this generation showed that people want a traditional console 1st and everything else is secondary. The games will attract the consumers. I just don't see this pivot they're doing working at all down the road but we'll see. I honestly believe that if they went 3rd party their games would sell like fucking hotcakes due to having that exposure to other markets they may have not had before. Oh and bring back Viva Pinata you fucks.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I get what your saying but I don't see that many people are going to want to play on their iPad or phones. I think this generation showed that people want a traditional console 1st and everything else is secondary. The games will attract the consumers. I just don't see this pivot they're doing working at all down the road but we'll see. I honestly believe that if they went 3rd party their games would sell like fucking hotcakes due to having that exposure to other markets they may have not had before. Oh and bring back Viva Pinata you fucks.

You don't see it that way because you are a console/pc gamer. Most people who play fortnite and such play on mobile. The next generation of gamers don't care for consoles AS MUCH as we do. Majority of asia's market are mobile gamers. They don't give a fuck about consoles (shit, look at japan). There are a lot of people here who are jaded and don't see beyond what they know. Mobile and streaming will be the majority quicker than you think (as long as it works)

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I was watching cable last night and I was just somewhat surprised at how clear the imagine looked. It was nothing mindblowing but just a sharper imagine.

Then this morning it hit me, my Xbox One X is doing it!!! So I have a 4k t.v. and Xfinity (comcast) which only outputs at 1080p. My t.v. only has 3 HDMI outputs and I just recently picked up a Swtich to add to my collection, so I had to hook up my cable into the Xbox so I could free up a port for the switch.

Since my Xbox is set to 4k with my t.v., everything being output on that HMDI is registering at 4k so running my cable through the xbox is upscaling the image and I'm pretty impressed at the quality.

The only downfall is sometimes the lip synching gets off if the image hitches through the xbox.

Just wanted to post this and show my appreciation for the X, its definitely worth every penny.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States

I think it will become second nature console will always be king to the hardcore but being able to play on the go on devices I already use will be even better sitting at the mall with my wife or going to my kids practice or a long drive I can play console games. People who can't afford or maybe don't want to spend that type of money can pay 10 dollars a month and have a bunch of games on demand Is amazing I know it's scary for some of the old guard and for console war purposes it doesn't sit well with those guys but once you get past those things not having the limitations is a great thing enjoy being in the future we'll be able to play more games and at the same time be able to save money.

Oct 26, 2018
I HIGHLY doubt they'll put game pass/xcloud on a competing platform /console...... Putting it on mobile and pc makes sense because its not direct competition and just broadening the ecosystem of Xbox, putting it on another console is no different to being 3rd party

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I HIGHLY doubt they'll put game pass/xcloud on a competing platform /console...... Putting it on mobile and pc makes sense because its not direct competition and just broadening the ecosystem of Xbox, putting it on another console is no different to being 3rd party
That is what P. S. is talking about. Game Pass eventually will be available to Android, iOS, MacOS, Linux and already confirmed PC.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

Yeah, it'll never be on competing platforms like the Playstation of Switch. It will be on the next Xbox system and mobile platforms though.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

I can see Microsoft trying to convince Nintendo.

I think there were rumors about Microsoft and Nintendo working on some surprising things together — it was around the time that Minecraft crossplay was being advertised.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I still don't think he was talking about PlayStation and Switch when he said "All Devices". I think he slipped up and meant Xbox, PC, Phones and smart tvs

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Xbox = Hardware.

This is wrong. Hardware is just a small part of the Xbox division. Does MS still want to sell hardware? Hell, of course they want that. This is why they will have multiple options for hardware for next-gen. And yes, this is also why they will - probably - offer the strongest console you can play their games on as an option. But that's - not at all - their main intention. Hardware is just one - of many possible - entry points to their ecosystem. A gamer playing Forza Horizon 4 on an iPad is their user - their customer - spending money and time in the Xbox ecosystem just like someone who plays the game on his premium Xbox V.

So the correct definition should be

An Xbox exclusive game like Halo: Infinite will still be an exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem no matter which device you are playing this game on.

Thing is until they get the PC side up to snuff where people want to actually use it, and make Gamepass easy to use within PC/Mobile they need the hardware sales more than ever for brand relevancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.