• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
while idk if they were talking about sony and nin. i could see them allowing the streaming app on there platforms. My thinking is that is that sony will let it on because it would give people more reason to buy a ps5. Buy a ps5 get sonys games plus stream ms games. Granted this is all based on the idea that sony will let people use a Microsoft account on the system

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
We go back to this conversation it seems once a month. Microsoft wants XCloud on Xbox, Android, IOS, PC, and MAC. Im sure TV's as well if they can get them on there.

Even if, and this is a BIG IF; If Microsoft wanted XCloud on a competing platform (Sony, Nintendo), they likely would decline. They do not want a competing store on their platform. IOS may also have the same issue as they declined Steam Link. Nintendo declined Rainway. Sony didnt even like the idea of Fortnite players paying on another device.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I get what your saying but I don't see that many people are going to want to play on their iPad or phones. I think this generation showed that people want a traditional console 1st and everything else is secondary. The games will attract the consumers. I just don't see this pivot they're doing working at all down the road but we'll see. I honestly believe that if they went 3rd party their games would sell like fucking hotcakes due to having that exposure to other markets they may have not had before. Oh and bring back Viva Pinata you fucks.
Switch has shown that many people want to take their games with them wherever they go. That's xCloud. You're playing Below on your XBO, then continue it on your tablet whilst you're on your lunch break at work.

Microsoft has also iterated that xCloud is being designed for 5G - which will become a big thing next year, it's low latency and has the bandwidth to provide unlimited data packages. So a WiFi connection won't be required for xCloud. Certainly by 2020/21 5G will have become standard in many countries.

And before someone thinks they're being clever and says "Remote Play" let's just remember the technology and execution here is vastly different.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
We go back to this conversation it seems once a month. Microsoft wants XCloud on Xbox, Android, IOS, PC, and MAC. Im sure TV's as well if they can get them on there.

Even if, and this is a BIG IF; If Microsoft wanted XCloud on a competing platform (Sony, Nintendo), they likely would decline. They do not want a competing store on their platform. IOS may also have the same issue as they declined Steam Link. Nintendo declined Rainway. Sony didnt even like the idea of Fortnite players paying on another device.

thank you.gif

feels like we're going round in circles, its been confirmed to be coming to IOS, Andriod and PC but at no point has it ever been specifically stated that it will come to PS or Switch, nor will it ever come to PS for the same reasons that Sony passed on EA Access, dragged its feet with Fortnite and doesn't let Minecraft be updated.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I get what your saying but I don't see that many people are going to want to play on their iPad or phones. I think this generation showed that people want a traditional console 1st and everything else is secondary. The games will attract the consumers. I just don't see this pivot they're doing working at all down the road but we'll see. I honestly believe that if they went 3rd party their games would sell like fucking hotcakes due to having that exposure to other markets they may have not had before. Oh and bring back Viva Pinata you fucks.
Think about this way: you're a console gamer. You stay at home and play your Xbox games on your nice fancy TV. Then you have to go out of town, for business or personal reasons or what have you. Now you can bring your games with you without having to box up your console. It's essentially just a Nintendo Switch, except instead of building a portable device, Microsoft is leveraging the ones you already own.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
thank you.gif

feels like we're going round in circles, its been confirmed to be coming to IOS, Andriod and PC but at no point has it ever been specifically stated that it will come to PS or Switch, nor will it ever come to PS for the same reasons that Sony passed on EA Access, dragged its feet with Fortnite and doesn't let Minecraft be updated.
Exactly people thinking they are going to be able to play Halo Infinite on Nintendo Switch are dreaming. I get Xbox, PC, Phones and Smart TV's but I don't think MS wants to release their games on PS4 and Switch, nor would those platforms would allow that.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
thank you.gif

For the near future, bank on XCloud being on Xbox, Android, and PC. Hopefully IOS as well, but we will see about that. I wouldnt read into much of anything else unless Microsoft themselves said something different which they havent.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I wondered if this was going to happen. Doesn't make sense because if it did, I'd probably just not game on my Xbox much anymore... which is like what I'm sure MSFT doesn't want.
its not going on PS, they dont even allow EA Access.

im sure they are fine with you subscribing to there monthly service even if you dont own there box.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Sony and Nintendo have no reason to put GamePass on their devices. Microsoft will start out with Game Pass on PC, then mobile, and TVs, and even the web (don't be surprised). MS will want it on as many platforms as possible.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Think about this way: you're a console gamer. You stay at home and play your Xbox games on your nice fancy TV. Then you have to go out of town, for business or personal reasons or what have you. Now you can bring your games with you without having to box up your console. It's essentially just a Nintendo Switch, except instead of building a portable device, Microsoft is leveraging the ones you already own.
That's the thing. I don't think the majority of people are going to want to do that. It'll have its niche sure but I just don't see it being the go-to.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What an amazing article. Everyone should give this a read.

We also spent quite a bit of time with the development groups they purchased and their teams could not have been more enthusiastic about how fortunate they felt to finally be given the time and money to create. I only know the Microsoft under Phil Spencer and Matt Booty and they are passionate gamers who care deeply about supporting talent. More important than words and promises will be the games that come from us in the future, that will be the proof.

It is an absolute benefit to have a business model that allows Microsoft to support our dreams. The stable of development support we'll have access to is unlike anything that we've used before. We were blown away by the tools we'll be able to use that will allow us to hone our craft.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing. I don't think the majority of people are going to want to do that. It'll have its niche sure but I just don't see it being the go-to.
For most of us on this forum will always choose a dedicated device (Console, PC, or Handheld) to play our games on. Xcloud and other streaming services are targeting the rest of the world. Countries in Asia as an example, or just casual gamers that have no interest in building their own PC, or buying a $500 console.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Apr 18, 2018
I'm not gonna copy and paste this thing that i wrote but here's my last big prediction for next gen (though it is stuff that I've been saying here...lol):
https://www.thurrott.com/forums/mic...ssion-into-the-xbox-ecosystem-next-generation

Good read, nice job. In your other article you mentioned why you think Xbox Live Gold will remove the paywall. I think it's a good idea but I have trouble grasping how they would do that in practice. How would you see that going down?

The simplest thing would be to just get rid of Xbox Live Gold entirely and convert existing subscriptions over into GamePass subscriptions? Or maybe convert them into credit? This is tricky as they are sold at retailers and often go on sale.

Would Xbox Live Gold still be a thing without the multiplayer component?
Would they just merge the subscriptions into a single GamePass subscription?
Would they stop giving free games per month?

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
This was definitely a favor called in by Microsoft to get studios that are on the fence interested in acquisition talks.

At the end of the day, I think that game makers want to make games and partnering with Microsoft gives them the chance to do that without a lot of the bullshit tied to being an independent studio. I'm excited to see what these studios will do without being tied to a publisher's agenda.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Good read, nice job. In your other article you mentioned why you think Xbox Live Gold will remove the paywall. I think it's a good idea but I have trouble grasping how they would do that in practice. How would you see that going down?

The simplest thing would be to just get rid of Xbox Live Gold entirely and convert existing subscriptions over into GamePass subscriptions? Or maybe convert them into credit? This is tricky as they are sold at retailers and often go on sale.

Would Xbox Live Gold still be a thing without the multiplayer component?
Would they just merge the subscriptions into a single GamePass subscription?
Would they stop giving free games per month?
My full answer to that, I had back in February: https://www.thurrott.com/forums/mic...ltiplayer-paywall-why-i-think-it-will-go-away

Xbox Live Gold can and probably will still be a thing but won't have the multiplayer component to it. It can morph into something or go away entirely because of the overlap. Gold is only going to be for consoles and it's going to be the minority group of users once xCloud and GamePass take off. I only see it giving value as more discounts for gamers. There's more value in games from GamePass. I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it, merged it into Xbox Game Pass (removing the free games) for the same $10/mo, or they kept it with just discounts and GWG.

Majority of people who play video games are actually mobile. So that niche thing you are talking about is already out the door.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

So many advantages of being able to take games on the go. Lots of stuff in Game Pass right now that isn't twitchy and doesn't require low latency. Would be great to be able to play Mutant Year Zero on my phone or laptop during lunch break.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
My full answer to that, I had back in February: https://www.thurrott.com/forums/mic...ltiplayer-paywall-why-i-think-it-will-go-away

Xbox Live Gold can and probably will still be a thing but won't have the multiplayer component to it. It can morph into something or go away entirely because of the overlap. Gold is only going to be for consoles and it's going to be the minority group of users once xCloud and GamePass take off. I only see it giving value as more discounts for gamers. There's more value in games from GamePass. I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it, merged it into Xbox Game Pass (removing the free games) for the same $10/mo, or they kept it with just discounts and GWG.
I think we'll get three tiers that will be tied to both xCloud and Game Pass.

Xbox Silver:
Free
Online Multiplayer

Xbox Gold:
$8/month or $60/year
Everything in Silver
xCloud Streaming
Games with Gold
Discounts

Xbox Platinum:
$10 or $12/month
Everything in Gold
Game Pass

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Xbox Silver:
Free
Online Multiplayer

Xbox Gold:
$8/month or $60/year
Everything in Silver
xCloud Streaming
Games with Gold
Discounts

Xbox Platinum:
$10 or $12/month
Everything in Gold
Game Pass
Nope. Microsoft is marketing Game Pass, not some weird tier of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass would be the only thing that makes sense to have tiers. Their tiers will be basic 1080p streaming/1user and a higher tier that have multiple users and higher quality streaming. Everything revolves around Game Pass. Xbox Live Gold is the old archaic model that was focused on consoles. Microsoft is focused on Game Pass and users getting into Game Pass on any device.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
BTW if you watch The Game Awards on Mixer tonight they are doing a MixPot. Sea of Thieves DLC and the chance to win 1 of 500 copies of Battlefield V.

Oct 26, 2018

Xbox Silver:
Free
Online Multiplayer

Xbox Gold:
$8/month or $60/year
Everything in Silver
xCloud Streaming
Games with Gold
Discounts

Xbox Platinum:
$10 or $12/month
Everything in Gold
Game Pass
This makes the most since BT I think they're more than likely merge both services into something like Xbox live gamepass

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Nope. Microsoft is marketing Game Pass, not some weird tier of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass would be the only thing that makes sense to have tiers. Their tiers will be basic 1080p streaming/1user and a higher tier that have multiple users and higher quality streaming. Everything revolves around Game Pass. Xbox Live Gold is the old archaic model that was focused on consoles. Microsoft is focused on Game Pass and users getting into Game Pass on any device.
I would be very surprised if Microsoft differentiated price by resolution or number of users. I know Netflix does that, but there's a lot more to consider in gaming. I don't see Microsoft allowing multiple people to stream on one account. It becomes a logistical nightmare to have multiple gamer-tags tied to one account. Plus, I'm not sure Microsoft is going to want four people sharing one Game Pass account and everyone having their own gamertag in that account.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I would be very surprised if Microsoft differentiated price by resolution or number of users. I know Netflix does that, but there's a lot more to consider in gaming. I don't see Microsoft allowing multiple people to stream on one account. It becomes a logistical nightmare to have multiple gamer-tags tied to one account. Plus, I'm not sure Microsoft is going to want four people sharing one Game Pass account and everyone having their own gamertag in that account.
No different to how they have multiple people on an Office 365 account that is a higher tier. They already went through those logistics. People already gameshare and microsoft gets NO money from that. Might as well make it easier and get some benefit from paying a couple more dollars a month. ;)

I don't try to take anything from my ass and put it on a forum, these are formulated by where the company is headed and what models that they use currently throughout the company and what models that they want to copy from other businesses.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

Xbox Silver:
Free
Online Multiplayer

Xbox Gold:
$8/month or $60/year
Everything in Silver
xCloud Streaming
Games with Gold
Discounts

Xbox Platinum:
$10 or $12/month
Everything in Gold
Game Pass

I like your thinking even if I think your prices are wrong. I could see the Xbox Gold package costing $10 a month with the Xbox Platinum being $15-20 a month.

I don't see any future with MS or Sony getting rid of Live or PSN though. It's too lucrative.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon and Microsoft make billions each quarter based on cloud services and cloud computing. It's definitely not a lie.

Of course not. Cloud services, including compute services are a massive, massive business.

what i meant by cloud computing was the ability to play games at a visual fidelity that wasn't possible on base consoles because they were gonna render stuff on the cloud. Thats what ms said at the beginning of this generation, and it never became a thing.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
what i meant by cloud computing was the ability to play games at a visual fidelity that wasn't possible on base consoles because they were gonna render stuff on the cloud. Thats what ms said at the beginning of this generation, and it never became a thing.

Crackdown is launching in 2 months. We'll see if it works.

It hasn't become mainstream, that's true.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The mistake you are doing looks like this:

Xbox = Hardware.

This is wrong. Hardware is just a small part of the Xbox division. Does MS still want to sell hardware? Hell, of course they want that. This is why they will have multiple options for hardware for next-gen. And yes, this is also why they will - probably - offer the strongest console you can play their games on as an option. But that's - not at all - their main intention. Hardware is just one - of many possible - entry points to their ecosystem. A gamer playing Forza Horizon 4 on an iPad is their user - their customer - spending money and time in the Xbox ecosystem just like someone who plays the game on his premium Xbox V.

So the correct definition should be

Xbox = a user in their ecosystem.

You will have a much better understanding about the future if you keep that in mind.

An Xbox exclusive game like Halo: Infinite will still be an exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem no matter which device you are playing this game on.

agree

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So many advantages of being able to take games on the go. Lots of stuff in Game Pass right now that isn't twitchy and doesn't require low latency. Would be great to be able to play Mutant Year Zero on my phone or laptop during lunch break.

Bruh, I can't play this game at home but dying to play it on the go. That's sorta exactly why I want this.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
You don't see it that way because you are a console/pc gamer. Most people who play fortnite and such play on mobile. The next generation of gamers don't care for consoles AS MUCH as we do. Majority of asia's market are mobile gamers. They don't give a fuck about consoles (shit, look at japan). There are a lot of people here who are jaded and don't see beyond what they know. Mobile and streaming will be the majority quicker than you think (as long as it works)

good point

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Today at work I had like and hour and half of free time, and I thought if Xbox streaming was a thing I could just continue playing what I was playing last night. Really can't wait streaming to become a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.