• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing to see there. I'm just pretty sure Xbox wouldn't hype DMC V news.

Again, not expecting much. A CD3 trailer, Winter of Arcade and maybe something small (Game Pass or something like that).

A CD3 trailer? Oh hell I'll talk that. Some SP footage please.

As for DMCV, you don't think it could be a demo? They did reveal the game at their E3 show, so it's possible they announce a demo which could be like the RE7 demo, timed exclusive as well. Fuck I'd love a demo.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
So far there has been so much good news but that article about how Phil wants Game Pass on every platform sounds weird to me. If he means not only PC and phones but also the competitor's consoles.... why would potential Xbox buyers even consider grabbing a Xbox One or Scarlett in two years? And that would mean all the new studios with their new games would be all available on Switch and Playstation?

I don't believe that for a second. Because again, many players would just stick with PS or Switch if that's gonna be the case. That can't be Phil's intention. Sure, the "loyal" Xbox players will stick around but what about potential new players? I'm probably seeing it the wrong way but I do wonder how else I am supposed to see it.
Yea, not sure how I feel about that one.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
So far there has been so much good news but that article about how Phil wants Game Pass on every platform sounds weird to me. If he means not only PC and phones but also the competitor's consoles.... why would potential Xbox buyers even consider grabbing a Xbox One or Scarlett in two years? And that would mean all the new studios with their new games would be all available on Switch and Playstation?

I don't believe that for a second. Because again, many players would just stick with PS or Switch if that's gonna be the case. That can't be Phil's intention. Sure, the "loyal" Xbox players will stick around but what about potential new players? I'm probably seeing it the wrong way but I do wonder how else I am supposed to see it.

Money is money. I think we have to look at the Surface mentality to "get it."
That team has stated multiple times that the devices are more-or-less "hero devices" that show what can be done with Windows/2-in-1s and are not meant to take money from partners. They (MS) would rather show the benchmark for what Windows can do and sell people on the ecosystem opposed to selling physical hardware (and if both - bonus). Office 365 on iPad and Android is the same thing. Why lock to a device family when it leaves so much on the table?

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
There is really gonna be a point soon that it makes no sense not to be subscribed to Gamepass.
Even more when next gen starts. Then as xbox gamer is gonna be a no brainer. You see it also with the deals now for Gamepass. MS doesnt care how much you pay for it to get in or extend. Like the 50% now for 6 months. They dont "care" they just want you in.

I didn't even bother to use the trial, I only care to play games I own. Gamepass is not for everyone.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree. People act like the series is on this huge decline. Halo 4 was the fastest selling game in the series and likely sold above 10 million. Halo 5 has declined a bit probably around 8 million sells and that's most likely duo to 343's bad approach to the campaign. A must step caused 1 game to decline 20%. The series is fine and is one great game away from having another 10 million seller.

My second point is halo is still awesome and It always will have a place is my heart. Pump away 343.

There's no indication that H5 reached 8 million sold. For that to happen it would have needed to outperform H3s average, every month following the initial 3 month launch window - all while xbox one is performing half as well as the 360 in Europe.

Just looking at halo5's performance vs Battlefront doesn't bode well for Halo5 hitting 8 mil, unless battlefronts sales lean heavily towards the US XBOX version. Unlikely given the Sony marketing deal.

Exactly. Thank you. Btw, Halo 5 was the fastest selling not 4. It also had the biggest launch of any title I believe up until FH4. It may still have it being it's biggest selling IP this gen still.

Halo 5 wasn't the fastest selling. In 3 months, H3 sold In the US alone what H5 sold worldwide. 4 months after release H3 had had already sold 8.1 million copies world wide.

Halo 4 is still the best selling Halo game of all time though. Confirmed by NPD.

Nope. NDP only tracks US. H4 was quoted as selling faster than H3, But that quote only refered each game's 1st respective fiscal years. H3 had longer legs.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There's no indication that H5 reached 8 million sold. For that to happen it would have needed to outperform H3s average, every month following the initial 3 month launch window - all while xbox one is performing half as well as the 360 in Europe.

Just looking at halo5's performance vs Battlefront doesn't bode well for Halo5 hitting 8 mil, unless battlefronts sales lean heavily towards the US XBOX version. Unlikely given the Sony marketing deal.

Halo 5 wasn't the fastest selling. In 3 months, H3 sold In the US alone what H5 sold worldwide. 4 months after release H3 had had already sold 8.1 million copies world wide.

Nope. NDP only tracks US. H4 was quoted as selling faster than H3, But that quote only refered each game's 1st respective fiscal years. H3 had longer legs.

Um...Matt from NPD already confirmed that Halo 4 outsold Halo 3

Might want to check this thread

Given that the US represents the bulk of all Xbox related sales, safe to say Halo 4 is the best selling Halo game of all time.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Not sure I get this logic, if streaming on a device would stop you buying an Xbox then it doesn't matter which devices that streaming is available on.....everyone will have a Pc or phone or tablet or TV that supports streaming game pass and therefore nobody will buy an Xbox. Being on PS makes no difference to that argument. At all.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

wait a minute so you think halo 3 sold less than 3 million copies after it's launch window(3 month period). That seams extremely low. And then you go onto say halo 3 had good legs. I'm confused. Your also saying halo 3 sold 8.1 million copies(source?) in its first 3 months. Well if it did 8.1 million copies in 3 months but less than 3 million copies in 11 years since that doesn't sound like good legs.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
My question is since this is the Netflix of gaming will their be another tier that allows 4 or 5 profiles and streams at the same time like Netflix has the 4 streams 4K for 15

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
wait a minute so you think halo 3 sold less than 3 million copies after it's launch window(3 month period). That seams extremely low. And then you go onto say halo 3 had good legs. I'm confused. Your also saying halo 3 sold 8.1 million copies(source?) in its first 3 months. Well if it did 8.1 million copies in 3 months but less than 3 million copies in 11 years since that doesn't sound like good legs.

Game sales typically drop exponentially after launch.

Halo 3 sold 14.5 million by July 2012. So it sold more (almost 2x) in the first 3 full months (8.1 mil) than it did for the following 4 years (4.4 mil) . But yes that's considered good legs. Great legs actually. That's an extra million copies year... That's rare.

People for some reason believe Halo 5 bucked all sales trends despite falling off all charts almost immediately

Edit: ms announced the 8.1 on January after launch https://news.softpedia.com/news/Ove...-and-8-Million-Halo-3-Copies-Sold-75202.shtml

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Game sales job exponentially after launch
Halo 3 sold 14.5 million by July 2012. So it sold more in the first 3 months than it did for the next 4 years. But yes that's considered good legs.

People for some reason believe Halo 5 bucked all sales trends despite falling off all charts almost immediately
But you just said for halo 5 to sell 8 million copies it would need to out sell halo 3 past its first 3 months. But now your saying halo 3 did 6.4 million copies past its first 3 months. So I'm confused.

Also the halo 3 sold 14.5 million copies by July 2012 thing is wrong Microsoft never said that.
They said this
"Developed by Bungie and published by Microsoft, Halo 3 is the concluding chapter in the Halo trilogy—an international award-winning action series that grew into a global entertainment phenomenon, selling more than 14.5 million games worldwide, logging more than 650 million hours of multiplayer action on Xbox Live."

That means halo 1 + 2 sold more than 14.5 million copies. And halo 2 had 650 million hours. Halo 3 actually had more than 2 billion. Don't use Wikipedia as fact brother.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
But you just said for halo 5 to sell 8 million copies it would need to out sell halo 3 past its first 3 months. But now your saying halo 3 did 6.4 million copies past its first 3 months. So I'm confused.

Also the halo 3 sold 14.5 million copies by July 2012 thing is wrong Microsoft never said that.
They said this
"Developed by Bungie and published by Microsoft, Halo 3 is the concluding chapter in the Halo trilogy—an international award-winning action series that grew into a global entertainment phenomenon, selling more than 14.5 million games worldwide, logging more than 650 million hours of multiplayer action on Xbox Live."

That means halo 1 + 2 sold more than 14.5 million copies. And halo 2 had 650 million hours. Halo 3 actually had more than 2 billion. Don't use Wikipedia as fact brother.

You misinterpreted the quote entirely wrong. the article is about Halo 3. The "Halo trilogy—an international award-winning action series that grew into a global entertainment phenomenon" part is just defining what Halo is. Everything else is H3 stats. MS made the quote in July 2012, on Waypoint, on the H3 page. Why do you think they'd be talking about Halo 2's online stats on H3s page so long after H2 was last relevant?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-3

but your right I goofed on the math. H3 sold 8.1 mil in the first 3 months, then 6.4 over the followiing 4.5 years. So 1.4 million a year.

Still it shows how much drop off a game has after launch. In the first 3 months h3 sold 56% of all its copies. Most games will be even more front loaded.

Also, I haven't visited Wikipedia at all

Last edited:

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
edit: re-wording as I screwed up the original post

If H5 equal legs, it's at 6 million by the middle of 2019. So to hit 8 million it would have had to have better legs relative to H3.

Halo 5 sold just over 5 million in 3 months, are you saying it only sold 1 million more in just over 3 years?

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we'll get three tiers that will be tied to both xCloud and Game Pass.

Xbox Silver:
Free
Online Multiplayer

Xbox Gold:
$8/month or $60/year
Everything in Silver
xCloud Streaming
Games with Gold
Discounts

Xbox Platinum:
$10 or $12/month
Everything in Gold
Game Pass

There is no way they will stay at that price point especially if they include MP. I can see 15-20 bucks for the last tier.

Apr 6, 2018

The only reliable source is a courtesy of Stinkles on gaf, which doesn't say much, is just a square number(could be slight more or less) in a certain period of time. Pachter said in on of his podcast that 5 sold on par with the others, so still pretty vague, but he confirmed that reqs smashed all the former season passes combined as revenue.
plus is among h3 for numbers online apparently
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comme...n_halo_5_has/d53ujuh/?st=iqdhjnh6&sh=26e27f13

See him stream it everyday now indeed.

I've noticed that shrouded spoils give a huge push to the game, the arena will do wonders.
Um...Matt from NPD already confirmed that Halo 4 outsold Halo 3

Might want to check this thread

Given that the US represents the bulk of all Xbox related sales, safe to say Halo 4 is the best selling Halo game of all time.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...ween-1995-and-2018.82060/page-3#post-15173518
precise link if someone needed it

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
edit: re-wording as I screwed up the original post

Halo 5 sold just over 5 million in 3 months, are you saying it only sold 1 million more in just over 3 years?

I'm saying is very unlikely they averaged 1 million units a year over the following 36 months.

Sales typically drop off exponentially after launch.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
It's seems MS has considered buying EA, but probably thought it was better to buy independent studios. I still say they buy someone like Sega in the next two years.

I think they should buy Sega, and give all of Sega's studios / teams the budget they haven't had in a very long time (or ever) and do their massive list of IP the justice they deserve. Imagine Phantasy Star V (single player offline RPG) and a Daytona USA 4 built on Scarlett spec.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Matts numbers are US only. So Halo 4 might be best selling Halo in US but not world wide. Same with Reach. Halo 3 at the very least had the largest active playerbase for it's first 24 months

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I think they should buy Sega, and give all of Sega's studios / teams the budget they haven't had in a very long time (or ever) and do their massive list of IP the justice they deserve. Imagine Phantasy Star V (single player offline RPG) and a Daytona USA 4 built on Scarlett spec.

Honestly, this would be miraculous IF they reformed all the Dreamcast-era teams (Smilebit, Overclock, WOW, Hitmaker) and got some of the head talent to lead them.
Scarlet in the West, Dreamcast 2 in the East. Also, somehow work some magic and make DC games BC and we'd be cooking!

Oct 29, 2017
I've put a lot of thought into the potential studio Microsoft is looking to acquire that's worked with PlayStation before. Has anyone though of it being The Chinese Room? I think it fits the bill more so than ready at dawn etc...

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
You misinterpreted the quote entirely wrong. the article is about Halo 3. The "Halo trilogy—an international award-winning action series that grew into a global entertainment phenomenon" part is just defining what Halo is. Everything else is H3 stats. MS made the quote in July 2012, on Waypoint, on the H3 page. Why do you think they'd be talking about Halo 2's online stats on H3s page so long after H2 was last relevant?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-3

but your right I goofed on the math. H3 sold 8.1 mil in the first 3 months, then 6.4 over the followiing 4.5 years. So 1.4 million a year.

Still it shows how much drop off a game has after launch. In the first 3 months h3 sold 56% of all its copies. Most games will be even more front loaded.

Also, I haven't visited Wikipedia at all
Even if I'm misinterpreting it that means halo 3 sold 6.4 million copies after it's first holiday season. Even if halo 5 did half that than it still would be at 8.2 million.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Game sales typically drop exponentially after launch.

Halo 3 sold 14.5 million by July 2012. So it sold more (almost 2x) in the first 3 full months (8.1 mil) than it did for the following 4 years (4.4 mil) . But yes that's considered good legs. Great legs actually. That's an extra million copies year... That's rare.

Edit: ms announced the 8.1 on January after launch https://news.softpedia.com/news/Ove...-and-8-Million-Halo-3-Copies-Sold-75202.shtml
Because back then games were more frontloaded.

UC4 and Horizon had little chart presence and they both are até ~9mi, granted Sony bundled both a lot, but so was halo 5, at least before gamepass

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Bonus points if Fizzie is at Larry's side
Crazy Larry will be the antagonist of SO2.

For TGA, if I can get any of the following: Awesome gamepass additions (keep in mind indies and AA are some of my favorites), Gears 5 trailer/more gameplay, Ninja Theory's new game sneak peak, more Crackdown 3 stuff, Mercenaries 3 (I can dream...) I'll be happy.

Just please, not another 8 minute trailer for Death Stranding. We get it Geoff, you love Kojima.

Status
Not open for further replies.