• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What do you think about THIS?
There is so much wrong in this article ...

"We assume that the game has a singleplayer campaign, but we haven't heard anything about it since the game was announced."
What? Lol. No, we don't "assume" that. We got a ton of campaign gameplay in 2017 and another campaign trailer at E3 2018.

"We also assume that there is a co-op component to the game, but again, we haven't heard anything about it in ages."
Wrong. We don't "assume" that. We know it officially. The official product page shows coop for ages. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/crackdown-3

"We don't know about any other multiplayer modes that might be included, though."
Wrong. WindowsCentral had an in-depth article on Wrecking Zone, including the different sub-modes within Wrecking Zone.

You don't market a 2019 product just before Christmas when people can't play that game yet anyway.

Just like they did with Sea of Thieves, they will concentrate on Crackdown 3 soon enough.

I sometimes wonder what some people think one year of delay did for Crackdown 3 Campaign. It allowed Sumo to polish the shit out of this game and get a ton of content into the world. But in the end this game is still a Crackdown game. This doesn't make the E3 2017 footage invalid - it's still the same game, just like it should be. Arcade. Fun. Platforming. Skills for kills. One big sandbox. If people expect some magical and deep story telling with heavy narrative components or some big hidden gameplay twists - this is not Crackdown.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still believe QB stands up there with Sony's best when it comes to linear, narrative-driven games. I don't understand the dislike/apathy it got. We need more power-based shooters.

I disagree. QB was a mediocre shooter, with a far less interesting and much more predictable story than AW. The shooting was frystrating and annoying. The powers were fun though.

What I really loved about AW was the mystical story and lore. It was super interesting. The only part of the gameplay I did not like was the dodging. That was frustrating and not developed well.

That's what Sony did with many of it's studios so, why can't MS? / Oh and on Remedy he doesn't speak for me!

It was a joke.

kinda

Aug 26, 2018
If MS are really serious about PC gaming they'll ditch Win Store for gaming, buy Discord, and use their store instead - honouring the 90/10 split.

I think MS realize they can never compete with Steam, so far, their Play anywhere initiative has not been the success they hoped for with lack of AAA/AA third party titles. The prices on the store still are atleast 10$ more expensive in many cases and the good will they have with the services & subscriptions on the Xbox Side has not transferred onto the

I feel they want MS Store to be like a Bing to Google ( Steam). Bing is profitable and has its audience but is no where near Google.

On the whole, just focus on what they are really good at (Enterprise + Gaming) , simplify the store & :

1. Acquire good PC focused studios ( Already going on with Obsidian)
2. Keep price parity with Steam or charge a bit less
3. Integrate Xbox Software & services to the PC Store front ( Xbox Gold, Xbox GP (In 2019), Backward Compatibilty)
4. Hire a PC Gaming guy to head the store efforts & talk to devs ( Similar to Matt Booty)
5. Integrate the communication apps seamlessly ( Discord, Twitch, Mixer)
6. Steam & Xbox Crossplay for all MS Store Third party/Exclusive Access Titles
7. Proper M&KB support in 2019 ( The XO18 segment was very disappointing)
8. Focus on partnerships with companies like Razer, PC Builders, Nvidia (Ray tracing on MS First Party Store titles) and AMD
9. Exclusive Partnerships with Twitch Streamers & Youtube Gamers to promote MS Store Games/Services.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I disagree. QB was a mediocre shooter, with a far less interesting and much more predictable story than AW. The shooting was frystrating and annoying. The powers were fun though.

What I really loved about AW was the mystical story and lore. It was super interesting. The only part of the gameplay I did not like was the dodging. That was frustrating and not developed well.

It was a joke.

kinda
I thought the story was pretty interesting. What was wrong with QB's shooting?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Quantum Break is one of my favorite games this generation. Alan Wake was just boring to me. Plus it helps that Jack is a likeable protagonist, while Alan is a bit of a jerk.

I still believe QB stands up there with Sony's best when it comes to linear, narrative-driven games. I don't understand the dislike/apathy it got. We need more power-based shooters.

I just finished my replay of Quantum Break, and I have to say I liked it even more than the first two times. It's a great game, and Remedy are probably my favourite studio right now, alongside Playground. Needless to say, MS could do a lot worse than to acquire Remedy.

What do you think about THIS?

Nothing. A whole lot of nothing.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
He teased someone for getting mad that some games were gonna be only available on other pc storefronts than steam. After a few sarcastic remarks he was banned for antagonizing.

He got a red card for being snarky about Steam, and "tripped" another user during the discussion.

Thanks guys.

That doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime. Seems a little too harsh to me.

Hope he is not out for long. He has some really good opinions on Xbox threads.

I agree but how does one come back from being banned?

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I mostly agree. Story-wise I'm conflicted honestly to if they should reset Fable 1 - 3 (definitely keep most if not all before Fable 1 when it comes to lore). I think it would be best if they have the first or even the first two Fable games in Albion, but as you said, move on after. And yes, move to different countries (there's a lot of them including very interesting ones) so they don't always have to time jump so much. I do like how your characters in Fable 1 - 3 were part of the Old Kingdom bloodline and descendants of William Black and I would like that to stay the same. Have it to where in the first game you're an ancestor of the Fable 1 - 3 bloodline, but in PG's second Fable, that path diverges and it'll be PG's bloodline if you will.

Preferably, what would be best if you ask me, is have the first PG Fable game be a prequel of sorts set 300 years before Fable 1 a bit after the founding of the Temple of Avo and Skorn. Have that one set in Albion, and have a big focus on the Heroes Guild as that has a lot of potential and should stay in Fable rather than go (would work perfectly for co-op as other players could just be seen as fellow students). Possibly have the second one set in Albion too, but jump forward a bit where you play as the child of your previous character. After that, they could keep jumping forward in time 30 - 40 years (which would give them a lot of sequels before Fable 1 even comes around), but move to other countries (as a child or grandchild of your previous character of course). Fable 2 is when it starts to get a bit of where I hate it (not nearly as bad as 3 though), but they still have several hundred years till that point, and even if they get passed Fable 1's timeline, they could still have the Heroes Guild in other countries (where magic isn't as diluted or something). It might sound harsh, but I'm glad Lionhead's vision of Fable 4 never happened (they ruined Fable by making it less of that high fantasy each and every game). By Fable 6 it would have been in space and might as well be called Fable: Infinite.

If they do completely reboot the story, make Jack of Blades as the villain again, but change things up quite a bit and make it diverge to where Fable 2 and Fable 3 don't happen (so even if every game jumps forward 100 years, by the 9th game it'll still be the same fantasy mostly). I love Fable 2 a lot, but there's quite a bit I disliked about it too. As for Open World, make Albion either seamless and huge, or several Witcher 3-sized hubs (2 or 3 of them individually were bigger than Skyrim). All of them don't have to be that big, and neither do I expect that, but make each a good size, where you can ride your horse freely. Fable 3 had 16 regions, so in PG's Fable, they could combine some regions like the few Bowerstone regions and make that area like Novigrad in size (City and region).

Additionally, one thing I really hope for is character customization. I always thought that should be in but they never included it unfortunately. Fable has always had great simulation elements and they really need to keep a lot of that to stay as Fable and be unique. I don't want just another Open World RPG, I want something unique and Fable can give us that. I have no issue if PG wants to bring in a lot of what they would have done with that other IP to evolve the franchise (unless it doesn't make sense for Fable).

I agree with every word you typed here. Well thought out my man.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well damn, just for fun I tried to buy another 6 month of game pass for 20,5$. Could previously not do it as it couldn't be extended beyond june 2021. Well what up. It worked. Now Im extended to december 2021.

Nov 23, 2018
Remedy does several things with excellent quality:
  • Create story-driven narratives;
  • Develop dark, mysterious worlds;
  • Instill emotional connection between players and characters; and
  • Engineer a top-notch graphical engine.
Just like any developer, they have a certain style synonymous to their games - style, visuals, atmosphere, etc.

Remedy sticks to this style, which is not for everyone, obviously... (common sense says debates on personal preference and opinion are irrelevant) but this is why their games amass "cult classic" followings - because of their originality and style.

FWIW, Remedy would fit well with Microsoft First Party Studios.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
So people,

Fable by Playground Games, or just whatever the open world RPG is. :)

What do you want it to be like when it comes to how interactive the game world is? Would you be OK if it's similar to Witcher where you can just enter people's homes, rob the whole place and the people are fine with it. Where you can't really interact much with the objects in the environment?

Or more like The Elder Scrolls, Gothic, Risen, ELEX where people really don't want you just entering their homes (well they are OK with it in TES) and if you do there will be consequences, especially if you rob the place. Where you can pretty much pick up anything.

I guess you could say Witcher is more static. I certainly want a game world that is as lively as possible where when I enter someone's home they will react to it, realistic reactions. And while I love Witcher, i hope it's not as static as it. They can certainly look at RDR2 for several things when it comes to that.

And how deep should the whole dialog/choices system go? . Should it be like what Obsidian is doing with ToW where you can basically just turn your back on the old guy and go your own way, do shit your way? Or more linear like how such things happen in TES?

Gameplay akin to Dragons Dogma
World building like Witcher with the 'fable' of monsters, preparing for encounters etc
Art style can be whatever PG want it to be.

Ultimately I just hope they make it their own game and don't get too drawn into trying to replicate the series' previous incarnations. I don't want them to make the same mistake as 343i did when they took on Halo. They need to make it their own game with identity.

Oct 26, 2017
World building like Witcher with the 'fable' of monsters, preparing for encounters etc

Ultimately I just hope they make it their own game and don't get too drawn into trying to replicate the series' previous incarnations. I don't want them to make the same mistake as 343i did when they took on Halo. They need to make it their own game with identity.

Agreed! And I also hope it will have real-time combat, but if it's indeed a new Fable it sure as hell will have and I hope the combat is fun and diverse too. And please be third person but again, if this is Fable it sure as hell will be.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

They do need to make it their own in some way, but that doesn't mean that they can go wild with it. Fable has a specific style that many people like, and want to see back, because there's literally nothing else like it out there. There's exactly zero point in bringing the Fable IP back if you're not going to make it like Fable. Thankfully, MS seem to understand that, they were very outspoken about looking for a British dev who do do its legacy justice.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
If Discord is acquired, I can imagine before then we will see some signs of it about to happen. Like cleaning up adult content and chat rooms. Unless they already do that.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
There is so much wrong in this article ...

"We assume that the game has a singleplayer campaign, but we haven't heard anything about it since the game was announced."
What? Lol. No, we don't "assume" that. We got a ton of campaign gameplay in 2017 and another campaign trailer at E3 2018.

"We also assume that there is a co-op component to the game, but again, we haven't heard anything about it in ages."
Wrong. We don't "assume" that. We know it officially. The official product page shows coop for ages. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/crackdown-3

"We don't know about any other multiplayer modes that might be included, though."
Wrong. WindowsCentral had an in-depth article on Wrecking Zone, including the different sub-modes within Wrecking Zone.

You don't market a 2019 product just before Christmas when people can't play that game yet anyway.

Just like they did with Sea of Thieves, they will concentrate on Crackdown 3 soon enough.

I sometimes wonder what some people think one year of delay did for Crackdown 3 Campaign. It allowed Sumo to polish the shit out of this game and get a ton of content into the world. But in the end this game is still a Crackdown game. This doesn't make the E3 2017 footage invalid - it's still the same game, just like it should be. Arcade. Fun. Platforming. Skills for kills. One big sandbox. If people expect some magical and deep story telling with heavy narrative components or some big hidden gameplay twists - this is not Crackdown.
This

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I wouldn't say that AW was boring but it always puzzle me when people say that QB was mediocre. Both games were very good and it's a shame that neither sold well enough for a sequel.
QB was anything but mediocre. The story alone was Blockbuster, Hollywood-tier storytelling. I LOVE ME some Sci-Fi and the story was epic! The gameplay made you feel really powerful, the gunplay was ace AF. Alan Wake was also a great game with a great story. The movement felt a little floaty though. The atmosphere was second-to-none. One of my favorites. Wish I could play them both for the first time again. Since I cant; Microsoft, buy Remedy so we can remedy the situation. Stop playin' Phil, bruv!

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
What's the deal with Terry Myerson? Dude seemed like he hated Microsoft and wanted to make every bad decision. What exactly was his end goal?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
When I see people giving negative criticism to QBs story/storytelling I wonder if we were playing the same game.

It might be the best executed time travel story I've ever experience in any medium.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with Terry Myerson? Dude seemed like he hated Microsoft and wanted to make every bad decision. What exactly was his end goal?

As the EVP of Windows, I think he was focused on getting one billion Windows 10 users in three years. He probably saw that Xbox wasn't going to help close the gap all that much so he diverted resources to initiatives that had more potenetial to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
QB was anything but mediocre. The story alone was Blockbuster, Hollywood-tier storytelling. I LOVE ME some Sci-Fi and the story was epic! The gameplay made you feel really powerful, the gunplay was ace AF. Alan Wake was also a great game with a great story. The movement felt a little floaty though. The atmosphere was second-to-none. One of my favorites. Wish I could play them both for the first time again. Since I cant; Microsoft, buy Remedy so we can remedy the situation. Stop playin' Phil, bruv!
I love the commitment to the time paradox story element. Very consistent.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think MS realize they can never compete with Steam, so far, their Play anywhere initiative has not been the success they hoped for with lack of AAA/AA third party titles. The prices on the store still are atleast 10$ more expensive in many cases and the good will they have with the services & subscriptions on the Xbox Side has not transferred onto the

I feel they want MS Store to be like a Bing to Google ( Steam). Bing is profitable and has its audience but is no where near Google.

On the whole, just focus on what they are really good at (Enterprise + Gaming) , simplify the store & :

1. Acquire good PC focused studios ( Already going on with Obsidian)
2. Keep price parity with Steam or charge a bit less
3. Integrate Xbox Software & services to the PC Store front ( Xbox Gold, Xbox GP (In 2019), Backward Compatibilty)
4. Hire a PC Gaming guy to head the store efforts & talk to devs ( Similar to Matt Booty)
5. Integrate the communication apps seamlessly ( Discord, Twitch, Mixer)
6. Steam & Xbox Crossplay for all MS Store Third party/Exclusive Access Titles
7. Proper M&KB support in 2019 ( The XO18 segment was very disappointing)
8. Focus on partnerships with companies like Razer, PC Builders, Nvidia (Ray tracing on MS First Party Store titles) and AMD
9. Exclusive Partnerships with Twitch Streamers & Youtube Gamers to promote MS Store Games/Services.

The status of the Windows Store and Play Anywhere could only be considered a failure if you believe it's current state has anything to do with its endgame. I don't. I believe the current state of the Windows Store is a rotting carcass left from the Myerson regime.

It's very interesting that rumors have been heavy that Microsoft is making pitches to buy Discord while the offer 90% to developers. The trickiest part will be sewing together PC and console together with these financial models. If Microsoft offers splits to developers to compete with Discord and Epic, do they carry some of those splits to the console?

Microsoft's PC efforts will be made or broken by Game Pass, exclusive content and the 3rd party devs they can carry with them across platforms with Xcloud. On those notes, your bring up some valid points. It's a tricky tightrope they have to walk.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Im more convinced than ever that Aurora44 would be a home run if they were acquired. I actually dont think they will be, but wow Ashen is good. Im in love with that game. If they want to throw money at any studio, this is the one Id pick.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
It's almost as if opinions are subjective. The vast majority of people were disappointed with Quantum Break. Your positive experience doesn't mean the majority of people thought the game was good.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Nah. I talk shit about Myerson as a gamer. It reality, he was a good soldier and long time Microsoft employee. He was Ballmers boy. Ballmer had a very different vision for Microsoft. He wanted to force everything into Windows. Windows was the heart of the company. Everything else had to work with it.

Xbox only was greenlighted to stop Sony from winning the living room because Gates saw Sony as a threat to Windows. Ballmer followed that. When it became clear Sony wasn't a threat and forcing PC gamers to Windows Store wasn't a reality, many major investors within Microsoft wanted them to dump the division. It was a distraction.

If you look at the timing of things, Microsoft's reduction in 1st party investment coincided with the failure to force itself on the PC and the hiring of Mattrick. Mattrick worked under Myserson to see if he could make the Xbox division profitable. It was a not very profitable before him. I think he got lucky because the 360 matured and put the RROD behind them so Mattrick was able to take credit for milking the cow dry while Myerson and Microsoft let Xbox live as long as it wasn't a distraction to Windows. Mattrick does get credit for Kinect which was considered his baby.

Microsoft leaned out Xbox 1st party because it was no longer this long term growth product with any importance to the company. Myerson followed orders. Myerson is my whipping boy because it's hard to attack Ballmer. Truth is Ballmer had a different vision from Nadella and he had a non gaming guy in charge of Xbox investment and long term plans. Myerson was misplaced and it sucked for any gamer that got roped into the Xbox ecosystem back when Microsoft was making those solid investments from 2001 to about 2008.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
People keep talking about Discord and it makes me feel stupid that I have no idea what that is.
Discord is a PC/Mobile program that has chat functionality and allows you to create groups. You can link it to game services and see what your friends are doing. They also recently launched a game store. It's sort of like a social media site built around the idea of games, although it can be used by non-gamers for chat and groups.

I think the idea is that they'd replace the Windows game store with Discord, but I think it'd be a waste of money. Microsoft needs to continue to invest in first-party content. Eventually, people will come. Content more than service drives users, as displayed by PlayStation outselling Microsoft this generation.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Quantum Break is one of my favorite games this generation. Alan Wake was just boring to me. Plus it helps that Jack is a likeable protagonist, while Alan is a bit of a jerk.

That's the best part gaming, so many different games for different person. I'm actually the exact opposite. I love Alan Wake and found it quite interesting, from concept to execution, it reminded me of the movie Secret Window, loved the story.

I enjoyed Q.B. but it never clicked. It felt more ambitious than it was. The story was somewhat of a jumbled mess and the action never got beyond the gun play. Even with the time powers, everything boiled down to the shooting mechanics. Again, I enjoyed the game but I didnt find it nearly as interesting as Alan Wake. Felt too much like another 3rd person shooter with a "meh" story and some time mechanics.

Regarding acquiring Remedy as an acquisition, I wonder. Is it worth the effort. They've released quality games but nothing mind blowing even when they have huge budgets.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Discord is a PC/Mobile program that has chat functionality and allows you to create groups. You can link it to game services and see what your friends are doing. They also recently launched a game store. It's sort of like a social media site built around the idea of games, although it can be used by non-gamers for chat and groups.

I think the idea is that they'd replace the Windows game store with Discord, but I think it'd be a waste of money. Microsoft needs to continue to invest in first-party content. Eventually, people will come. Content more than service drives users, as displayed by PlayStation outselling Microsoft this generation.
Thanks for the info. I agree I'd rather see them invest in game developers than a messaging service/store.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft goal to go beyond consoles is genius

Got an xbox? You are set. But you can also play on pc, with xcloud potentially you can play on any device. Scarlett my have a cheap streaming box. You can also pay their consoles month to month. You have game pass as an alternative to buying games, and has play anywhere across your devices. If you play on their current console you can also access their previous consoles with backwards compatible, etc

They have so many options, and so many ways for you to throw money at them. You can support Microsoft and their business without buying their box, and it's genius. They are making having one static box for your games feel restrictive

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
It's almost as if opinions are subjective. The vast majority of people were disappointed with Quantum Break. Your positive experience doesn't mean the majority of people thought the game was good.
It also doesnt mean that it was bad to those who actually liked the game. I've read numerous comments from people who didnt like QB in the beginning, only to go back a few months later to really enjoy it. What does the "vast majority" have to do with those of us who liked it? Who gives a shit about the "vast majority?" There are a "vast majority" of those who enjoyed what QB brought to the table. Does that change your side of "vast majority?" WTF??

There were also those who hated on the game via other gamers who moaned about it (many hadnt even played it yet) only to go back and try it for themselves and really enjoy it. We can do this all day but the fact of the matter is, QB is a story worth re-telling by the opinions of alot of its fans. We also agree that Remedy would be a great pick up for a development house. They're pretty much the equivalent of Naughty Dog when it comes to storytelling and visuals in my book.

Last edited:

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I want a sequel to quantum break, quantum break is one of my favorite games this gen, I liked everything about it, gameplay, story and graphics, sound was pretty good too.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Sorry this is a h/w question but what would you guys think of an X2 with zen2 lite cpu, 8TF gpu and 12 gb ram + increased bandwidth (but faster than 1x) for $399 as the entry model for next-gen? Be able to run all 1X titles at 4k60 with some headroom? MS can release a X2X higher spec model as well for $499.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Microsoft goal to go beyond consoles is genius

Got an xbox? You are set. But you can also play on pc, with xcloud potentially you can play on any device. Scarlett my have a cheap streaming box. You can also pay their consoles month to month. You have game pass as an alternative to buying games, and has play anywhere across your devices. If you play on their current console you can also access their previous consoles with backwards compatible, etc

They have so many options, and so many ways for you to throw money at them. You can support Microsoft and their business without buying their box, and it's genius. They are making having one static box for your games feel restrictive

could work out really well for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.