• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
EA posess a lot of studios and tech that fits MS vision for gaming.

And both companies desire a streaming future.

Should MS retain the licences EA have as well, they would be a posistion to fully realise XGP.

They'd be worth the money and I think MS would be rather interested in those points then Bungie who have now had two publishing relationships fall apart

With that money they can bought Ubisoft, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, Bungie, CDPR, Platinum, Sumo, etc.
They don't need to buy EA.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
It'd be more realistic and practical to buy certain studios/IP from EA like Bioware or Respawn. Still extremely low chance, but would serve everyone's interests better.

Still the EA talk is boring.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
And MS have $150BN to spend in money overseas.

Trump passed a law that allows companies to bring it over with generous tax breaks if I recall correctly.

EA shares skyrocketed when the rumours started to swirl this time last year
That MS could afford it is largely besides the point. You are talking about MS spending a fifth of their total assets on one game company, that would then cost billions more in staff, reorganization, and severance costs. That's an incredibly tall order.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
When MS acquires Bungie

343:
👀
24-disloyal-man-meme.w700.h700.jpg

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we still suspect they will acquire a publisher? Most of their acquisitions, while promising, have been sort of small fries.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Trump passed a law that allows companies to bring it over with generous tax breaks if I recall correctly.

Microsoft isn't going to spend ~25 billion it would take to get EA. Microsoft may have been looking to quickly bolster their portfolio in the past with a publisher purchase but I doubt that's in the cards now as Microsoft is grabbing independent studios that they can prop up

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Microsoft isn't going to spend ~25 billion it would take to get EA. Microsoft may have been looking to quickly bolster their portfolio in the past with a publisher purchase but I doubt that's in the cards now as Microsoft is grabbing independent studios that they can prop up

They spent $23BN on Linkendin.

But I will drop this now

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
It'd be more realistic and practical to buy certain studios/IP from EA like Bioware or Respawn. Still extremely low chance, but would serve everyone's interests better.

Still the EA talk is boring.
On that note I'd be all for them buying both BioWare and Respawn. I've always wondered if EA ever considered selling off the Dev teams with regular Dev cycles and refocused their company on EA sports and DICE

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It would cost more than that.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States

They have the money but to many non developer employees plus do you really want a whole publisher in the hands of a platform holder it may be good for game pass but bad for the industry. maybe buy a studio or two since electronic arts took a big hit financially as of late but the whole company ain't worth it

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Plus you're not just buying a company, but their reputation as well. People here may hate Microsoft, but they absolutely loathe EA. Combine the two, and man, that'd be a disaster.

Use a twentieth of that money to buy IO, Remedy, Turtle Rock, and 4A.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
That is not problem to buy something. Problem is if that acquire will be profitable. Mark that.

There is a difference to spent $2.5 bln for Mojang and for example at least $3.5 bln for CD PROJEKT RED, which has done three very good RPGs with only one which reached worldwide huge success and we don't know how Cyberpunk 2077 will do. That studio would be very good, but also very expensive.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
That is not problem to buy something. Problem is if that acquire will be profitable. Mark that.

There is a difference to spent $2.5 bln for Mojang and for example at least $3.5 bln for CD PROJEKT RED, which has done three very good RPGs with only one which reached worldwide huge success and we don't know how Cyberpunk 2077 will do. That studio would be very good, but also very expensive.
And their games don't have the merchandise and franchise value of Minecraft.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
$26 billion. And buying Linkedln made a hell of a lot more sense than buying EA.

I'm not even saying it's impossible. MS has at various times looked into it. It's just an absolutely insane notion that doesn't make much financial sense.

It depends if they came into possession of the licences EA own.

Fifa, Madden, SW, all kept multi platform but on XGP day one would make MS a lot in terms of subs and revenue

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
$25 billion would buy MS enough small studios to release a new 1st Party game every other week

That could buy Take-two who would be a better buy than Electronic Arts
$25 billion would buy MS enough small studios to release a new 1st Party game every other week
take-two is 13 billion market cap so you could get them for around 17 billion it's a small publisher with great studios rockstar and 2k sports which would both move Xbox and game pass like crazy if you had nba 2k,WWE, NBA Playgrounds, NFL 2k (rumor has it first party can make a nfl game) Red Dead And GtA, Bio Shock and more as exclusives. If any publisher id buy them but I don't think we are near Fox-Disney stage of this yet Amazon nor Google haven't made any moves yet.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
MS doing with the EA acquisition what they did with Minecraft

Everything from EA remains multi platform but it's MS who see all the profit and revenue.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I think the EA ship sailed a loooong time ago. They wouldn't acquire 7 studios and still end up dropping an 11 figure sum on top of that.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Did any numbers come out about how much they spent acquiring the studios they bought last year?
A fraction of a percent of what EA costs.
It depends if they came into possession of the licences EA own.

Fifa, Madden, SW, all kept multi platform but on XGP day one would make MS a lot in terms of subs and revenue
I'd be very curious to see your math here.

Also, let's stop saying $25 billion. If it was only $25 billion, that would be a better deal.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
A fraction of a percent of what EA costs.

I'd be very curious to see your math here.

Also, let's stop saying $25 billion. If it was only $25 billion, that would be a better deal.

Retaining the licences would be key. EA are not worth the acquisition price without them.

Fifa, Madden, SW generate billions each year.

And as I said, keeping all established IP multiplatform means MS as they do with Minecraft receive the profit that's generated.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I forget, but isn't Certain Affinity currently working on a Transformers game???
I'm not sure if they have exclusive game rights for the IP currently or if they're going the way of Marvel and allowing multiple devs.
Certain Affinity is working on a Transformers game for their investor Leyou Technologies. When Leyou announced that they got a license to the franchise, they didn't mention anything about exclusivity (see http://www.files.services/files/359/2017/0803/20170803191501_86497041_en.pdf).

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Putfire

May 12, 2018
All of them.

Again, publishers buying publishers would be bad for the industry and the people working in it. I don't know why some seem excited about such an idea.
Sorry the translator betrayed me. I wrote wrong. I meant that Microsoft could buy multiple publishers with the money from an EA purchase. As I said the other day, I just think it would be worth Sega or Take Two for the rest I find a waste of money.
Buying studios is a much better bet.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Retaining the licences would be key. EA are not worth the acquisition price without them.

Fifa, Madden, SW generate billions each year.

And as I said, keeping all established IP multiplatform means MS as they do with Minecraft receive the profit that's generated.
I still think you don't get the actual money involved here. It would take decades (if ever) for MS to recoup their investment based on EA's current profits.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry the translator betrayed me. I wrote wrong. I meant that Microsoft could buy multiple publishers with the money from an EA purchase. As I said the other day, I just think it would be worth Sega or Take Two for the rest I find a waste of money.
It rarely ever makes sense for publishers to buy publishers, and again, the human cost of such a transaction would be awful.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft buying EA is almost certainly not going to happen. The amounts of money involved are ludicrous. A lot of folks don't realise just how huge EA are. And it's not like EA need the money. What is more plausible, though, is Microsoft cutting some deals with EA in order to exclusively license some of the valuable properties EA holds.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I still think you don't get the actual money involved here. It would take decades (if ever) for MS to recoup their investment based on EA's current profits.
Yea I guess I didn't realize how much EA was worth. It wouldn't make sense financially to buy them. adding Madden FIFA ect would be a huge deal for game pass but I would rather money being pumped into smaller teams with a lot of talent.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Take Two no, we would give a game lock image. I prefer Bungie than Rockstar or CDPR for the same.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
It rarely ever makes sense for publishers to buy publishers, and again, the human cost of such a transaction would be awful.
This would absolutely happen as their a lot of positions and teams that ms don't have a use for. Off the top of my head would they really want Ghost games when they have turn 10 and playground.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018

They'd get access to markets, ecosystems, install bases they can never get to with Xbox.

But they could if they acquired EA and if they retained the licences. EA are in possession of IP and the aforementioned licences that sell in every install base, in every country where MS could only dream of getting.

I think it would be worth any cost to them if it means MS getting more access to users

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They'd get access to markets, ecosystems, install bases they can never get to with Xbox.

But they could if they acquired EA and if they retained the licences. EA are in possession of IP and the aforementioned licences that sell in every install base, in every country where MS could only dream of getting.

I think it would be worth any cost to them if it means more MS getting more access to users
Well no, that's a pretty outlandish statement. Users have a pretty clear return on investment, and that return is not unlimited.

And if EAs games were to remain multi platform, I'm not sure where this new access for MS comes from?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Take Two no, we would give a game lock image. I prefer Bungie than Rockstar or CDPR for the same.
Those three companies would cost very different amounts.
This would absolutely happen as their a lot of positions and teams that ms don't have a use for. Off the top of my head would they really want Ghost games when they have turn 10 and playground.
Not just that, there would be thousands of people out of a job, both developers and all the non developers that work at EA.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I can't imagine Microsoft ever acquiring a publisher like EA or Sega, not only is it expensive, it'd duplicate so much administration and honestly integration would probably be hell. All the management and PR and legal departments merging with such different cultures and hierarchies, it'd be chaos that probably wouldn't be worth it.

But what I do see happening is Microsoft spending a lot of money, possibly a studios worth, to make exclusive deals with publishers like EA or Ubisoft to create either new IP or games off of dormant licenses. Imagine Ubisoft being to sole maker of Blinx the Time Sweeper games. Think about it.

In all seriousness, I see some partnerships that go beyond what we're used to with exclusive content or betas or whatever. Maybe tapping publishers to create full on new flagship IP series for platforms.

I also definitely can see Microsoft partnering with Chinese companies to potentially distribute Chinese games outside of China as Xbox exclusives (or timed exclusives), like how Netflix distributes BBC and TV Tokyo shows as 'Netflix Originals'

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Well no, that's a pretty outlandish statement. Users have a pretty clear return on investment, and that return is not unlimited.

And if EAs games were to remain multi platform, I'm not sure where this new access for MS comes from?

Fifa or Battlefield sell millions on Steam,PS.

MS acquire EA, keep both IP on those platforms and as they do with Minecraft, it's MS who see the returns

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Fifa or Battlefield sell millions on Steam,PS.

MS acquire EA, keep both IP on those platforms and as they do with Minecraft, it's MS who see the returns
But, as I keep trying to explain, EA doesn't make nearly enough money for MS to get a return on their investment in the situation you described. It's not even close.

You seem unwilling to actually engage with the real numbers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.