• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it makes sense for MS to buy Bungie. I'd be happy enough if whatever they have coming up later doesn't fuck Xbox users over anymore, that would be an alright beginning. Paying the same price for gimped versions of the same games - ridiculous shit.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It could well end up being the case, but it's impossible to gauge based on early rumours. Hell the early rumours prior to the Xbox One and PS4 reveals, were that Durango (XBO) was much more powerful than Orbis (PS4). All insiders hinted at as much, including Arthur Gies, Proelite and Karak, and we all know how that turned out.
But it's important to know why such comments existed. They were based off devkits, and for a while Xbone devkits had a stronger gpu and a monster server cpu that was said to be equal to the final one, when in reality it was there to emulate the audio chip. Also the extra memory.

Eventually it was known that Ps4 would have a gpu advantage, but some still maintained that more memory would balance things out and then some. Not to mention that Ms documentation mentioned some architecture advantages that many thought it would be exclusive to xbone gpu, and turned out to be standard gcn features.

Funny enough, last gen was a reverse situation, ps3 devkits were much stronger than the final console and consequently 360 devkits that had people saying it would be much much stronger than 360.

My point is, despite not always being the full picture those stories don't come out of thin air.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You guys think that news from Brad Sams about no PS5 BC is true
You mean that podcast? He was talking about forward compatibility, not BC.

He said that Ms is telling developers that xbone and up will run any games made for Scarlet, but Sony knows ps4 won't run ps5 games.

I think ps5 not having BC would be suicide, and with BC they could counter the advantage Ms will have off starting the next generation off with the current base.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think Sega would be anywhere near as expensive as EA but honestly it'd be better just to get Persona and Yakuza on Xbox since that's all there really missing from Sega
And that's exactly why they need to be bought.

Sega once had a game on every genre and they used to be of high quality up to the top. They were innovative and also always leading the industry technologically.

With same they lost many of their studios, many of their legendary creators and their games went to very small and niche.

I think that's the only publisher that makes sense buying because it's the only that desperately needs to grow back to what it once was.

MS restoring the AM studios, using the name and their relationship to bring old stuff back, as well bringing new ones such as Sakaguchi.

They could market Xbox as a Sega console in Japan and use their relationship to get support from more Japanese companies as well.

Then there's Relic and Creative Assembly, specially the later that definitely wants to develop AAA games, they are PC centric developers that Ms could use across the board now that Xbox supports keyboard, and have some very successful IPs on Europe.

Basically using Sega influence on the market could be the way to increase their market share on Europe and Asia, and to attract developers to fill gamepass with content.

Edit: Also, they would own Phantasy Stat Online. With the right amount of money and availability this could be a success and an exclusive "Destiny like" game to keep players constantly coming back and subbing to gamepass.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I doubt it makes sense for MS to buy Bungie. I'd be happy enough if whatever they have coming up later doesn't fuck Xbox users over anymore, that would be an alright beginning. Paying the same price for gimped versions of the same games - ridiculous shit.

True, I don't think Bungie is in good standing in the XBox community anyway, no reason to buy them in their current (bad) state.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hope inexile gets a shot at a AAA game
Imho they should - and will - create what they want to create. And as of right now this is Wasteland 3, The Bards Tale IV console versions, an VR adaption for PSVR out soon as well as "that other" game Brian Fargo teased. They should focus on delivering what they do best - creating great worlds and stories. Forcing them to do an AAA scale game would be the worst thing Xbox could do. With the new resources I'm sure they can accelerate both their development as well as up the general quality their games to AAA polish at least, but they shouldn't change the scale of their games just for the sake of people wanting them to do so.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Maybe one day InXile can move into AAA games but it has to be when the studio is ready, it has to happen organically and not be forced.

Even if Matt and Phil offered them to make an AAA game, Fargo would probably decline it and stick to what the studio does best.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Retaining the licences would be key. EA are not worth the acquisition price without them.

Fifa, Madden, SW generate billions each year.

And as I said, keeping all established IP multiplatform means MS as they do with Minecraft receive the profit that's generated.

But how would they grow the value of these IP so that they could recoup the costs of the investments?

What would a Multiplatform EA owned by MS do differently that would make it more profitable than EA is currently?

Putfire

May 12, 2018
Unlikely they acquire IO.

Klobrille came up with s good point how MS can easily manage studios in U.K./US/Can but further afield becomes more difficult
Denmark not close to Sweden? Already have Mojang there and give to extend the Hub with Finnish studios like Housemarque or Remedy. Germany would also be close and Deck13 would be an excellent acquisition.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
When Bungie created Halo:CE, they weren't the mega studio they are today. Neither was Bethesda when they created Morrowind. BioWare when they made KOTOR. Naughty Dog with the first Uncharted.

Who was 4A games last gen? Or Techland?

I think the Microsoft gaming team has been smart with their purchases so far. Playground Games, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, InXile and even Undead Labs have all punched above their weight and on their way up. If Microsoft sees potential for the next Mass Effect, Skyrim, or Halo they can always grow those studios.

Think of Phil Spencer like an NFL GM who's got some cap space and draft picks to rebuild in the offseason. Just because you can make a splashy purchase, doesn't mean you should. Even Microsoft operates with a salary cap. Have to factor the cost of the purchase and the ongoing expense of the employees.

With that in mind, I wonder if you paired someone with the ability to craft story like Amy Hennig with a studio known for good game design like I/O if it wouldn't be a value purchase and potential superstar studio in the future.

have to agree.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
About buying EA:
Why would MS/Xbox want to burden itself with added risks by buying a publisher? I don't see that. A more feasible scenario would be to buy one of the studios out of EA or any other publisher combined with an IP but that's it. Question would be still if the IP & studio is worth it.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Denmark not close to Sweden? Already have Mojang there and give to extend the Hub with Finnish studios like Housemarque or Remedy. Germany would also be close and Deck13 would be an excellent acquisition.

Would love to see them expand into Europe.

But got a feeling they won't

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
But how would they grow the value of these IP so that they could recoup the costs of the investments?

What would a Multiplatform EA owned by MS do differently that would make it more profitable than EA is currently?

It's pretty well known EA are being mismanaged. They have such valuable IP and talented studios that are being wasted.

MS would make them more efficient, produce more games, and if they kept hold of the licences, more would be done with say SW

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
February Inside Xbox episode should have
  • Crackdown 3 final push, similar to what they did with FH4
  • Game Pass news for February
  • Ori and The Will of The Wisps release date
  • Sea of Thieves Arena trailer
  • Anthem
  • (Wildcard) Xbox BC news (X Enhanced or Original Xbox games)
Could be a good episode if they can deliver this. There isn't any "old stuff" anymore they could show again. So whatever they will do should feel "new".

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty well known EA are being mismanaged. They have such valuable IP and talented studios that are being wasted.

MS would make them more efficient, produce more games, and if they kept hold of the licences, more would be done with say SW

How can we be so sure that MS would make that ship run more efficiently? MS has been accused of being mismanaged too, and are sitting on a ton of IP that they are doing nothing with. People are excited about MS buying spree and increased dev activity, but we have no idea what the fruit of this will be. For all we know these studios could hate working for MS.

Are EAs active IPs guarunteed to sell more Under MS' leadership? Will Madden & Fifa suddenly become more desirable and profitable? What's your evidence that "more" would be done with Star Wars?

The way I see it, EA would be astronomically expensive, and there'd be no clear path for MS to grow EAs business, especially since there would TON of redundancy.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see folks talking about a Feburary Inside Xbox. Do we not expect one for this month? I'd kind of expect one that announces that discless Xbox One S model as well as the disc to digital program. If it's still on track that is.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
$5BN a year is impressive but it could be so much higher if EA were not so incompetent

EA are pretty efficient at squeezing money out of their customer base. Outside of the last 18 months, they had an incredibly strong run this gen. Only second to Activision, who under Kotick are masters at squeezing blood out of stone.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
How can we be so sure that MS would make that ship run more efficiently? MS has been accused of being mismanaged too, and are sitting on a ton of IP that they are doing nothing with. People are excited about MS buying spree and increased dev activity, but we have no idea what the fruit of this will be. For all we know these studios could hate working for MS.

Are EAs active IPs guarunteed to sell more Under MS' leadership? Will Madden & Fifa suddenly become more desirable and profitable? What's your evidence that "more" would be done with Star Wars?

The way I see it, EA would be astronomically expensive, and there'd be no clear path for MS to grow EAs business, especially since there would TON of redundancy.

Spencer and Nadella seeing what they have done with MS and Xbox, I think they could do the same with EA.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
  • Anthem
Could be a good episode if they can deliver this. There isn't any "old stuff" anymore they could show again. So whatever they will do should feel "new".
They will show something from Metro Exodus, Jump Force, KINGDOM HEARTS Ⅲ, Devil May Cry 5, The Division 2 again as will for sure.

I'm still doubting for 2019 release. If yes, I bet for the end of the year.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Spencer and Nadella seeing what they have done with MS and Xbox, I think they could do the same with EA.

My point is, we haven't really seen the fruit of MS' labor. It's way too early to say they would handle EAs IPs any better than EA currently does. Many of MS' IPs are underutilized or have shedding mindshare.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
EA brings in money and makes a profit no doubt, but it would take 30 years for a buyer to see a return on those numbers.
That's if the market is the same as it is now...I think betting on a streaming future on a global scale, you could see those returns sooner...much sooner. But as of right now, in the current way of doing things, yes.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're all going a bit mental in here, eh.

Wasn't it around this time last year Klob gave us the API info overload? We need something, we thirsty and the dehydration is making us delusional lol.

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Why are we talking about an EA Acquisition? It was about Bungie, and then suddenly shifted to EA. Its highly improbable that Microsoft would buy a publisher.

So far what we have seen is ambitious midsize studios with good leaders that they can grow over time. Maybe they will buy a big studio at some point, but a publisher? I dont see it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Why are we talking about an EA Acquisition? It was about Bungie, and then suddenly shifted to EA. Its highly improbable that Microsoft would buy a publisher.

So far what we have seen is ambitious midsize studios with good leaders that they can grow over time. Maybe they will buy a big studio at some point, but a publisher? I dont see it.

I don't get it. Whether your an Xbox only gamer or an all platform gamer, don't see how it improves the brand or gaming for any of us individually that much. Microsoft isn't doing much hand holding with these purchases. Any company they buy is continuing to be who they are. A big part of EAs value is microtransactioning the hell out of their sports games...which likely would not be able to be exclusive based on the licensing agreements from the sports leagues. The teams who created great single player games for them are either gone or now working on multiplayer focused games with the potential exception of Respawn.

To me the exciting part of this Microsoft resurgence in gaming is the potential to create the next BioWare or Bungie. Taking mid level studios with talent and giving them the resources to push over the top or building dream teams from scratch like with the Initiative. Giving underappreciated teams and IPs and chance to grown mindshare and avoid more Alan Wake or Sunset Overdrive situations where IPs with great potential die due to poor marketing.

I have hypocritically pushed for Sega in the past but that's my irrational Sega Genesis fanboy coming out. Would love to see them revive all those dead IPs on Game Pass. Since Microsoft isn't tinkering with the business strategy of anyone they purchase, no publisher likely makes sense.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
  • Anthem

when does the first push start?

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started Life is Strange: season 2 last night and I love it so far! I'm interested to see if episode 2 will launch day and date on Game Pass. I really wouldn't mind seeing Microsoft acquire Dontnod and/or Supermassive as I'm kind of obsessed with these choose your own adventure narrative games. Episodic games are just perfect for Game Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.