• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
more out of frustration with MS and the obvious lack of confidence in this project. its been pretty clear for a while now and at this point it seems like inside xbox is about the only push its ever going to get. the only decent look we got at the current game was some random multiplayer footage and no i dont count the terry crews trailers.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
more out of frustration with MS and the obvious lack of confidence in this project. its been pretty clear for a while now and at this point it seems like inside xbox is about the only push its ever going to get. the only decent look we got at the current game was some random multiplayer footage and no i dont count the terry crews trailers.

Yeah I agree on this. Crackdown is being treated like crap, I think it's clear they aren't very confident in the project. The only thing I can hope for at this point is that the game is actually fun to play, which in the end is all that really matters for me.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well, Crackdown 3 will probably be fun for Crackdown fans, but let's face it, it will be a half miracle if it lands in the high 70s, let alone low 80s. At triple-A budget and full price it can't compete with the likes of AC: Odyssey or Spider-Man, that much is obvious to anyone. Us Game Pass owners and Crackdown fans will have a blast for quite some hours, no doubt about it, and it's one of the games I'm looking forward to the most. But there's no point in Microsoft spending millions in hyping up this game, because it's a relatively niche audience to begin with, and a game development surrounded by a lot of negative words. What they showed seems good for fans but not quite on par with what this generation is offering in terms of graphics, gameplay, immersion, variety. I can't blame for them not pushing it too hard, but then again they could at least dedicate more Inside Xbox time to it: that one is almost free for them as opposed to paid ads on TV or something.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome back to The Game Informer Show! On this week's episode, we're talking all about Game Informer's latest cover story on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Then Andrew Reiner joins the podcast to talk about Game Informer's game of the year winner and other categories like top ten characters, moments, and dorks. After some great community emails, we're joined by Sumo Digital's Paul Porter and Karl Hilton to talk about the surprising studio's history, developing Crackdown 3, and what the studio's connection with Timesplitters might mean for the future.

https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...i-show-sekiro-exclusive-game-of-the-year-sumo

Haven't actually listened to it yet but will do over the weekend, player is in the link above.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Crackdown 3 will probably be fun for Crackdown fans, but let's face it, it will be a half miracle if it lands in the high 70s, let alone low 80s. At triple-A budget and full price it can't compete with the likes of AC: Odyssey or Spider-Man, that much is obvious to anyone. Us Game Pass owners and Crackdown fans will have a blast for quite some hours, no doubt about it, and it's one of the games I'm looking forward to the most. But there's no point in Microsoft spending millions in hyping up this game, because it's a relatively niche audience to begin with, and a game development surrounded by a lot of negative words. What they showed seems good for fans but not quite on par with what this generation is offering in terms of graphics, gameplay, immersion, variety. I can't blame for them not pushing it too hard, but then again they could at least dedicate more Inside Xbox time to it: that one is almost free for them as opposed to paid ads on TV or something.

i dont think it necessarily has to cost millions to promote a game. MS literally skipped (of very much half assed) many recent opportunities where i'm sure they could have just delivered a good trailer (e3, VGA, etc), didnt partner with a website, ala ign's first looks. the game is launching in a month and we dont have a clear look at what SP looks like at all, just quick snippets inbetween terry crews live action.

the game may be fun, and looks to satisfy fans, but its certainly being walked out the door - sent to die.

Jan 4, 2018
I hope that Tencent will be dead on some day. NetEase as well.
Why so much agressivity? Just because they've invested in studios we've discussed might be interesting to MS?
Yeah I agree on this. Crackdown is being treated like crap, I think it's clear they aren't very confident in the project. The only thing I can hope for at this point is that the game is actually fun to play, which in the end is all that really matters for me.
I wonder if it's a test to see how far a game can get just with word of mouth thanks to Game Pass

Just trying to find a rationnale as to why they're treating the game like that

Also, my prediction is an 82 on metacritic (yup, I'm an optimist)

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Ooff, that Angry Joe most disappointing list isn't very kind to MS. Three games by a MS developer in that one.

It's a shame how the launch of all three titles went, but with the current momentum we sure can expect some great improvements for 2019's SoT. We Happy Few is also supposed to be launching some dlc next year which could be neat. That along with a Game Pass announcement would be stellar, but i think it'll be up to Gearbox since they published the game. SoD2 has gotten some steady updates, not sure what roadmap they have for the upcoming 2019.

As for AJS, not sure on what level of credibility i should put him. Anyone can criticize, but for the past years he seems to have been more of that typical YT behaviour that's been popping up for the past two years. If i remember correctly, he wanted to drop the score for SoT from a 4 to a 3/10 just because people were pointing some misconceptions out in his review which i think is some petty behaviour. Ofc, that's just my opinion.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
They're way too high profile to make a licensed game, they'll either work on a new IP or an MS IP

Hell it'd be better for them to take over Perfect Dark than James Bond but I really think if MS does get IO that'll be there franchise
I'm not predicting anything. I'm just saying what my dream scenario would be. James Bond is my favorite franchise and I'd rather see him get a great video game than anything else.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Why so much agressivity? Just because they've invested in studios we've discussed might be interesting to MS?

I wonder if it's a test to see how far a game can get just with word of mouth thanks to Game Pass

Every time they've shown the game it has received mixed reactions, so it's definitely a possibility that they want to rely primarily on word of mouth at this point, knowing that it may not be the best looking game, but it'll be a blast to play.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Since Compulsion Games is clearly still spending good work on We Happy Few I expect to see a We Happy Few Joyful Edition this year, including all the enhancements and of course expansions they are currently working on.

Put it on Game Pass on day one and you practically can have a successful relaunch of the game. A game that in its heart is fantastic for both the story and world, but clearly needed more time in the oven. Pretty sure Gearbox will be fine with this as they could only profit from this move.

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Imho they should - and will - create what they want to create. And as of right now this is Wasteland 3, The Bards Tale IV console versions, an VR adaption for PSVR out soon as well as "that other" game Brian Fargo teased. They should focus on delivering what they do best - creating great worlds and stories. Forcing them to do an AAA scale game would be the worst thing Xbox could do. With the new resources I'm sure they can accelerate both their development as well as up the general quality their games to AAA polish at least, but they shouldn't change the scale of their games just for the sake of people wanting them to do so.
I think comments like this are missing the point. Obviously everyone wants developers to make the games they want to make. I think the point of the OP is that InXile should be given the chance to do AAA, assuming they want to. The inverse of what you said is also true. If they have ambitious dreams and want to aim big, it'd be a shame to relegate them to AA just for budgetary purposes.

SpinierBlakeD

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It's pretty well known EA are being mismanaged. They have such valuable IP and talented studios that are being wasted.

MS would make them more efficient, produce more games, and if they kept hold of the licences, more would be done with say SW
But would Microsoft even get the IP in this hypothetical? Is the Star Wars license EA's to sell? Or would it revert back to Disney in the event of an acquisition/merger?

Oct 26, 2018
I don't think Sega would be anywhere near as expensive as EA but honestly it'd be better just to get Persona and Yakuza on Xbox since that's all there really missing from Sega

Hope not, don't want to see them fund anything they don't own, if they have a third party dev make a game they need to own an IP.

Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising, Titanfall were all waste IMO

Certain Affinity and Turtle Rock seem to fit the profile perfectly. Has Typhoon actually made anything else because their new game seems pretty lame
But ms did just that with gears, and that wasn't a waste. and if the series becomes a lillar for Xbox, they can outright buy the IP, like gears

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

I don't think it'll do that well on metacritic (the media has already dug in and haven't been talking nicely about the game) but like you, I think the lack of marketing is a bit of a test. Game doesn't show that well but due to Game Pass, a lot of people will curiously check it out.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If you're excited about Xbox in large part due to Game Pass then don't forget it's not only 1st party studios that matter in the equation.

I pulled some of these quotes from the Snapshot forums (from a Snapshot developer) for the Game Pass Day 1 release of Phoenix Point, an excellent looking game coming this year. Gives a little insight into how Microsoft is landing these day 1 Indies. IMO these types of deals are good for the industry. Gives console players a chance to experience games they otherwise might not of while giving a talented dev more exposure.

https://forums.snapshotgames.com/t/phoenix-point-in-xbox-game-pass/966/15

Phoenix Point will have a XBox release at the same time as the PC. Microsoft are providing resources that allow us to work on this and deliver it without affecting the development of the PC version.

This will also mean that Phoenix Point will be available on the Microsoft Store. We've said for some time that we'd like to do a console release, we just lacked the resources. This thing with MS was only confirmed and finalised very recently. We weren't able to mention it until their E3 reveal.

Microsoft has zero control or input in the development or direction of the game. Our agreement with Microsoft is to be available on their Xbox Game Pass, which means there also has to be an Xbox version of the game. We are still an independent studio. Microsoft are not our publisher. Snapshot Games retains full creative control and ownership of the intellectual property.

While we can't be too specific about the arrangement, what I can say is we definitely weren't "onboard" from the beginning. The agreement happened within the last few weeks as the run up to E3 intensified. Microsoft want new and interesting indie titles for their Game Pass service. Developers get reimbursed (after-all, people who can play on the Game Pass are potentially lost sales). To be on Game Pass, we require an Xbox version. Brown envelope takes care of that. We have dedicated staff to work on the porting. Technical support from both Microsoft and Unity.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
People refuse to let it go and it's grating. It's not happening.

I don't even really understand it from a wish fulfillment point of view. Like I sit and dream about Platinum or People Can Fly every now and then, I'd even understand people saying Microsoft should buy Bioware or Respawn from EA, but the entire company? I don't get it. What really compelling thing does EA have beyond a few specific teams? Are people just that in to EA Origin?

Obviously their licenses would be gone with an acquisition, and even if they kept Fifa and Madden or whatever, is there really that much that Microsoft could do to revitalize or revolutionize those franchises?

Oct 26, 2017
I was watching AngryJoe's top 10 most disappointing games of last year and he has State of Decay 2 and We happy few in it. Understandably so too. Not because these are horrible or even bad games but because of the launch with all the bugs.

In WHF's case the game was early access in 2016 he says, MS even helped out a little apparently. You'd think the game would have been a lot more polished at launch, but the stuff he showed, and also Sterling and others.... that's just really bad. They are under MS now and I really hope this kinda stuff is a thing of the past now. Same goes for State of Decay 2. Also a MS studio.

He also has Sea of Thieves on there, but that's definitely subjective I would say. But for me these are definitely reasons to just take the wait and see approach. Yes it's fantastic all these new studios and clear focus on actually bringing new games, but we haven't seen a thing yet. Obviously I hope for the best.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching AngryJoe's top 10 most disappointing games of last year and he has State of Decay 2 and We happy few in it. Understandably so too. Not because these are horrible or even bad games but because of the launch with all the bugs.

In WHF's case the game was early access in 2016 he says, MS even helped out a little apparently. You'd think the game would have been a lot more polished at launch, but the stuff he showed, and also Sterling and others.... that's just really bad. They are under MS now and I really hope this kinda stuff is a thing of the past now. Same goes for State of Decay 2. Also a MS studio.

He also has Sea of Thieves on there, but that's definitely subjective I would say. But for me these are definitely reasons to just take the wait and see approach. Yes it's fantastic all these new studios and clear focus on actually bringing new games, but we haven't seen a thing yet. Obviously I hope for the best.

Yes.

To be Fair, Angry Joe even admits that he gives the score and then annual nomination based on Day 1 release.

He never saw the updates for SOT or SOD2.
And WHF could have been so much better. It is certainly a disappointment.

However, MS shouldn't be content being in anyone's disappointment list.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
EA brings in money and makes a profit no doubt, but it would take 30 years for a buyer to see a return on those numbers.
For accounting purposes, all MS would need to do is have EA make more than they would have made in interest on money they have just sitting there. That's how Minecraft was "profitable" for them right out the gate

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Glad all the publisher talk is over, it's silly to even consider to be honest. Makes very little sense.

MS continuing on their current track and acquiring/opening studios then growing from there is the best way, evidently they are doing as such.

I reckon this year they will announce 3 more studios, one of them being a (relatively) big hitter.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
What would make sense for both sides would be to acquire Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal from Square.

Make them a good offer and grab a talented studio doing 1st party Tomb Raider or like games for Microsoft.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I'm circling back to that Klobrille tweet about "rhymes with balloon" and speculating High Moon with this Acti/Bungie split.

Just watching a WhatCulture vid and it was pointed out (the reminder) that High Moon (and Vicarious Visions) have been a support studio to Bungie for Destiny for the better part of a decade. Perhaps Activision doesn't know what they want to do with that team anymore and are keen to lean our the amount of studios they run. The big and immediate news is letting Bungie go, but what if High Moon and VV are next?

Edit: rhyming skills, hahaha (changed to balloon)

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm circling back to that Klobrille tweet about "rhymes with moon" and speculating High Moon with this Acti/Bungie split.

Just watching a WhatCulture vid and it was pointed out (the reminder) that High Moon (and Vicarious Visions) have been a support studio to Bungie for Destiny for the better part of a decade. Perhaps Activision doesn't know what they want to do with that team anymore and are keen to lean our the amount of studios they run. The big and immediate news is letting Bungie go, but what if High Moon and VV are next?

Does moon rhyme with moon? I guess if Pitbull can rhyme Kodak with Kodak...

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They aren't going to acquire studios that are already owned by another publisher. It's going to be indie devs and top tier talent that they can build a studio around.

There's plenty for them to go after, plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.