• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My guess: Code Mystics working on Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf port with Xbox Live integration similar to Phantom Dust.

This is just a personal guess.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I want MS to announce that PG is working on a new Fable just like they announced that Black Tusk was working on a new Gears as soon as that started development. They should be really transparent with it.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Surely with OG Xbox BC you don't really need Code Mystics, Phantom Dust felt like a special situation rather than the start of something. Makes me feel bad that maybe Code Mystics were watching E3 to only see OG Xbox BC announced, then realise they were out of a potential job.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Well, after reading Zhuge's post I think I will skip the X and wait for the next gen console. They probably will want to start with the right foot and release it sooner than later.
Also I expect next week announcement to be streaming games ala PSnow for gamepass.

I will suscribe to gamepass if they add all the gold benefits (including GwG and been able to play GwG I already own) for $12 a month.
In my case, I buy my Gold for $45, so they get from me 3.75 per month. MS would increase their revenue from me in $8.25.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Surely with OG Xbox BC you don't really need Code Mystics, Phantom Dust felt like a special situation rather than the start of something. Makes me feel bad that maybe Code Mystics were watching E3 to only see OG Xbox BC announced, then realise they were out of a potential job.
Original Xbox BC is missing the most important part for these games (Phantom Dust, Mech Assault etc.) though: Xbox Live integration.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY

I think that depend on the game really.

Some games are fine just being brought over to regular OG BC, but games like Phantom Dust and MechAssualt were defined by the now defunct multiplayer and could really benefit from seeing that being bought back.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting to make this post for a while now.

The Xbox team is currently using the budget they have to invest in a number of key areas starting from 2017/18. These areas are.
- Microsoft Games Publishing
- Digital Ecosystem
- Windows 10 x Xbox

I should note that a lot of the investment going on now is something that will be fully reflected in the 'next generation' (whatever that actually means). What this means, in the case of something like the recently rumored Fable 4 game for example, is that i wouldn't expect projects like that to release for quite some time. However, any initiatives that you do see hit in 2018 / 2019 are an indication of what Microsoft is planning for the 'next generation'.

So the first point is that Microsoft are looking into using the budget they have to invest in new projects (both first party and external) to bring them to Xbox in the future. Whilst there will be a couple of surprise games this generation, the majority of projects in the works or planned are going to be a while out. There will still be a live service focus across all of their big games of course.

The second point regarding digital ecosystem concerns services like Xbox Live, Xbox Games Pass, Mixer etc... You're going to see a lot more focus on those services moving forward and integration into the Xbox games / services ecosystem. In fact, we'll probably see an announcement sooner rather than later on that front that will give us an indication of how Microsoft intends to treat digital games in the future.

The third point is continued investment in both the Windows 10 and Xbox ecosystem to create one unified Xbox platform. Initiatives like Play Anywhere and a single store are examples of that. Integration should go even further in the future.

The above is going to be a slow process and you'll see results starting from this year through to 'next gen'. That being said, don't expect this to mean Microsoft will have 100 first party games and all your dreams will come true. They're still working within the resources they have.

Thanks for the information and insight Zhuge! This makes me both excited and skeptical, primarily because I was considering buying an Xbox One X. From the way it sounds, my money might be better spent on other things while I ride out this "gen" on my Xbox One S. Works for me! I'm excited to see what Microsoft has planned for the future of Xbox, as I really like what they've done so far.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Well, after reading Zhuge's post I think I will skip the X and wait for the next gen console. They probably will want to start with the right foot and release it sooner than later.
Also I expect next week announcement to be streaming games ala PSnow for gamepass.

I will suscribe to gamepass if they add all the gold benefits (including GwG and been able to play GwG I already own) for $12 a month.
In my case, I buy my Gold for $45, so they get from me 3.75 per month. MS would increase their revenue from me in $8.25.
I'm torn on what I think the announcement for Game Pass would be. Though I think removing multi from Gold and having Game Pass be the only subscription you really need would be very prosumer, but I don't see it yet. I do think getting BC for PC and having GamePass on PC would be big news and more reasonable in my opinion.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Original Xbox BC is missing the most important part for these games (Phantom Dust, Mech Assault etc.) though: Xbox Live integration.

Some games are fine just being brought over to regular OG BC, but games like Phantom Dust and MechAssualt were defined by the now defunct multiplayer and could really benefit from seeing that being bought back.
But surely with them having a dedicated BC team they could integrate live? You are in the same building as the Xbox Live engineers.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
True, but pretty much all OG Xbox games had lan support (some even had lan but no Live). They could make a system level wrapper for lan kinda like how XKai and others operated. Could be quite simple even: Create a party on xbone and all OG xbox games you run will see that party as Lan connected xboxes.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's why I'm convinced Microsoft hasn't given up on a new Phantom Dust, but instead of a remake, it will be a sequel. Plus all the possibilities it could be monetized as a GaaS title is endless for Microsoft to pass up.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how much developing the X will save them on developing the "next" xbox. As I assume a lot of the tech and ideas they came up with within the X itself will be used on the new system. I mean the next xbox would most likely have more/faster ram, a strong gpu and a new CPU, but the rest like the vapor, etc. could easily come over from their development on the X, saving them money on R&D? Don't know if that's possible as I'm no hardware expert.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017

The Xbox team is currently using the budget they have to invest in a number of key areas starting from 2017/18. These areas are.
- Digital Ecosystem
- Windows 10 x Xbox

I should note that a lot of the investment going on now is something that will be fully reflected in the 'next generation' (whatever that actually means). What this means, in the case of something like the recently rumored Fable 4 game for example, is that i wouldn't expect projects like that to release for quite some time. However, any initiatives that you do see hit in 2018 / 2019 are an indication of what Microsoft is planning for the 'next generation'.

So the first point is that Microsoft are looking into using the budget they have to invest in new projects (both first party and external) to bring them to Xbox in the future. Whilst there will be a couple of surprise games this generation, the majority of projects in the works or planned are going to be a while out. There will still be a live service focus across all of their big games of course.

The second point regarding digital ecosystem concerns services like Xbox Live, Xbox Games Pass, Mixer etc... You're going to see a lot more focus on those services moving forward and integration into the Xbox games / services ecosystem. In fact, we'll probably see an announcement sooner rather than later on that front that will give us an indication of how Microsoft intends to treat digital games in the future.

The third point is continued investment in both the Windows 10 and Xbox ecosystem to create one unified Xbox platform. Initiatives like Play Anywhere and a single store are examples of that. Integration should go even further in the future.

The above is going to be a slow process and you'll see results starting from this year through to 'next gen'. That being said, don't expect this to mean Microsoft will have 100 first party games and all your dreams will come true. They're still working within the resources they have.

Microsoft exec have sort of been teasing what you're saying here.

My worry is they won't implement these things correctly and they'll fizzle out.

And that has a higher chance if Microsoft continues pushing their pc ambitions through the Windows Store.

They need a separate storefront, something the gaming division has 100% control over. You then integrate VR, mixer, play anywhere all into one cohesive community.

Mixer is not going to expand tailoring to just the xbox crowd. They need the pc crowd, But the pc crowd isn't living on the windows store. They're all in Steam using Twitch and Youtube. If you can somehow take a chunk of people off of steam to your storefront, you can at least entice them to using Mixer.

But all these plans of integration and ecosystem will be greatly held back if it includes going through the Windows Store.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft exec have sort of been teasing what you're saying here.

My worry is they won't implement these things correctly and they'll fizzle out.

And that has a higher chance if Microsoft continues pushing their pc ambitions through the Windows Store.

They need a separate storefront, something the gaming division has 100% control over. You then integrate VR, mixer, play anywhere all into one cohesive community.

Mixer is not going to expand tailoring to just the xbox crowd. They need the pc crowd, But the pc crowd isn't living on the windows store. They're all in Steam using Twitch and Youtube. If you can somehow take a chunk of people off of steam to your storefront, you can at least entice them to using Mixer.

But all these plans of integration and ecosystem will be greatly held back if it includes going through the Windows Store.

They already have a storefront (partially) and that's the Xbox App (but it's much slower on startup) but we'll see what they do. You might as well forget that they won't use the Microsoft Store. The whole company is poised to use that. The Xbox App could be used for the front end of the store but it's not going to do much more for purchasing, but all the social stuff is through there. Mixer is already integrated in the OS. Mixed Reality is as well...but it's not under Xbox because MR is not only gaming, it's just really starting there.

MS is going to stick with the MStore and they are going to figure out ways to get people to use it. They just need to fix some areas of the store and they know that. They aren't just giving up on that mission. I'm only saying that a lot because it's a company wide thing, not just Xbox.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the information and insight Zhuge! This makes me both excited and skeptical, primarily because I was considering buying an Xbox One X. From the way it sounds, my money might be better spent on other things while I ride out this "gen" on my Xbox One S. Works for me! I'm excited to see what Microsoft has planned for the future of Xbox, as I really like what they've done so far.

Based on what Phil Spencer has said in prior interviews, I think that they will eventually move to a situation where the Xbox One X is the new base model and allow developers to either develop a potato version of their game for the Xbox One or ignore it completely. I would expect that the move will coincide with the release of the next Xbox.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what Phil Spencer has said in prior interviews, I think that they will eventually move to a situation where the Xbox One X is the new base model and allow developers to either develop a potato version of their game for the Xbox One or ignore it completely. I would expect that the move will coincide with the release of the next Xbox.
That's not going to happen, no matter how many people keep saying it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Zedox you should bring back your gifs.

I'll bring them back for announcements. :) (don't forget when I bring them back, you'll have comments like..."cringe", "is that you?", etc...)

The Xbox One X will not allow developers to make exclusive games. What you can assume is that the next Xbox devkit the ability for a developer to make games for Xbox One, S, X as profiles (since it would be able to "emulate" the systems) as well as PC, just as the Xbox One X devkit can now. This is for the situation when we have a lot of cross generational games. There will still be exclusive games for the next Xbox as time goes on.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
That's not going to happen, no matter how many people keep saying it.

What does "gaming beyond generations" mean to you? Because to me it doesn't mean, "hey, you know that $500 machine you bought last year? Yeah, we're not going to make any more games for it. Sowwwy"

The Xbox One X will not allow developers to make exclusive games. What you can assume is that the next Xbox devkit the ability for a developer to make games for Xbox One, S, X as profiles (since it would be able to "emulate" the systems) as well as PC, just as the Xbox One X devkit can now. This is for the situation when we have a lot of cross generational games. There will still be exclusive games for the next Xbox as time goes on.

Eventually, sure.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
*impatiently waiting for State of Decay 2 news*

giphy.gif

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I too used to believe in this theory, but not anymore. It seems most likely that the "next" Xbox will still have exclusive games, but devs will just have an easier time making "cross-gen" titles that run on all or most Xbox platforms. You're free to believe what you want, but I think you'll be disappointed if you're expecting this.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
But surely with them having a dedicated BC team they could integrate live? You are in the same building as the Xbox Live engineers.

True, but if that was the case wouldn't they have implemented it already?

Imo there's a few games like PD and MechAssualt that absolutely need the multiplayer, but not enough to justify looking into bringing back live support in general. Code Mystic's already worked on a method to do so for Phantom Dust, and perhaps that was for a reason.

I've said it before but using the free release of PD to gauge interest in a follow up was what I believe the entire point of it getting made in the first place was, to test the waters and see if that IP had enough interest. A month after release it had more than a million people who played, and at the end of the day that's pretty impressive for what was essentially an upscaled OG Xbox game.

If they use MechAssualt the same way, we could see MS take steps to invest back in the series and potentially attempt to get MechWarrior 5.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I too used to believe in this theory, but not anymore. It seems most likely that the "next" Xbox will still have exclusive games, but devs will just have an easier time making "cross-gen" titles that run on all or most Xbox platforms. You're free to believe what you want, but I think you'll be disappointed if you're expecting this.
That's exactly it. Xbox One, S,X are basically on "iOS 11" and the next Xbox is on "iOS 12". All the BC, devs can make more all platforms if they want but they will focus on the newer platform.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017

- Digital Ecosystem
- Windows 10 x Xbox

That seems like the opposite of what Phil Spencer stated in that Bloomberg interview which implied they were increasing their investment and looking into acquisitions creation of new Studios?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

- Digital Ecosystem
- Windows 10 x Xbox

Figured as much with the first part. Two other parts make sense. Focus on what's garnering the positive attention.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After reading the last page and a half, a few thoughts -

1. The next Xbox console will be their start of a new generation but will most likely be backwards compatible for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Xbox games but will still have it's own exclusives and full library of games that can't be played on previous gen consoles which is a good thing. You can't stay connected to the past because that will only hold you back and restrict what you want to do.

2. Xbox Live Gold isn't going anywhere. Gold makes Microsoft a fortune and they would be fucking morons to get rid of it or even reduce the price especially if/when they got "hot" again, the price would only increase back to what it was anyway so why even bother?

3. Game Pass is good the way it is now at $10 a month for unlimited access to all the games that are available in the pass. No need to screw around with a tier setup especially if the more popular/better games are all of a sudden set to those higher priced tiers.

4. Excellent post as always by Zhuge. I'm personally not expecting much/if anything for the rest of this gen. At this point, it's all about 2020 and beyond. No reason to release exclusives on Xbox One (such as the still rumored Fable 4) when you could make it have a greater impact on their next console especially if it's a launch title.

5. Glad to see some news will be coming today for State of Decay 2. Hoping for a release date and gameplay video but im fully expecting it to be a beta announcement since that blog post references to needing our help.

Overall, some good stuff. And don't know if there's any substance to it but while watching a Youtube video of Xbox vs PS4 exclusives for 2018, the guy mentioned Forza Horizon 4 and said that it's rumored that there could be "police chases" in the game. I personally would love that. The police chases in NFS Payback looked great and a lot of fun but game wise, it wasn't good but to see Playground Games implement this would be awesome. Hoping that it turns out to be true.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That seems like the opposite of what Phil Spencer stated in that Bloomberg interview which implied they were increasing their investment and looking into acquisitions creation of new Studios?

M&A budget doesn't have much to do with the day to day budget of Xbox division though.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Huh? This sounds exactly like that. Did you miss this part?:
So the first point is that Microsoft are looking into using the budget they have to invest in new projects (both first party and external) to bring them to Xbox in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.