• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I can't believe that we don't even have a Crackdown 3 beta in sight at this point, which they said would hit before the game releases.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Yes there are plenty people that buy SP content. - and those people will still have an opportunity do that. This model doesn't eliminate that market. It expands it.

Now, people that only buy SP content will be exposed to more games, many of which have monetized MP.

The math adds up fine:

I'm not sure where you get the $10 per licensee. Most of the games on the service have stopped selling by traditional means, getting breadcrumbs for participation would be a huge bonus for publishers.

Currently we are looking at attatch rates of 8 games per console. That means the average gamer buys 2 games per year. GP costs $120 per person, so revenue potential hasn't changed.

Now all that's left is to replace lost XBLG revenue, with revenue generated from sales of extra content. We already know that microtransaction/dlc model thrives more the larger the player base is. And there's no better way to increase a games playerbase than to remove barriers to entry. Extra content is going to fly off the virtual shelf.

I meant that MS from that $10 sub if you were to remove MP from Gold would have to pay for the following:
  • Xbox division paying Azure division for the use of the server farms
  • R+D for Xbox Live
  • Paying the licensees who has content in XGP
And after all that create a healthy profit. The only way XGP does well is my having recent content from 3rd party's within 1 to 2 month of their worldwide release

Secondly when we look at attach rates the main games that sell well are all MP games and no one has an issue of paying for Xbox Live Gold or PSN+ for that matter. The 'pay to play' on consoles won't be removed by MS. Otherwise you would have Gold with non of the motivation for people to subscribe, so the only way would be to increase the cost of XGP to $29.99 to cover everything listed above.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I meant that MS from that $10 sub if you were to remove MP from Gold would have to pay for the following:
  • R+D for Xbox Live
And after all that create a healthy profit. The only way XGP does well is my having recent content from 3rd party's within 1 to 2 month of their worldwide release

Secondly when we look at attach rates the main games that sell well are all MP games and no one has an issue of paying for Xbox Live Gold or PSN+ for that matter. The 'pay to play' on consoles won't be removed by MS. Otherwise you would have Gold with non of the motivation for people to subscribe, so the only way would be to increase the cost of XGP to $29.99 to cover everything listed above.

Why do you think that only XGP will be paying for these and that XBLG covers those costs? Xbox makes the majority of it's revenue from 3rd party games being sold on the system and the DLC/MTX from each of those games. The more subscribers you get on XGP, the more opportunity you get from 3rd party games and their DLC/MTX. Why? Because you still sell those games, and make it more enticing to a user to purchase a full game because of the discount. Also because if you eliminate the paywall, a person is most likely going to try out a game that relies on it, and you have more opportunity to sell them more stuff, and it's not only DLC/MTX of that but also selling people on newer games in a franchise. That's the thing that a lot of people ignore. Game Pass from a 3rd party perspective is a way to see what games franchises they can still sell and profit off of in the future. That keeps the user subscribed, that also can sell the user DLC/MTX for that future game.

I'll put it like this, Xbox Live is free on PC. When (not if) MS releases Game Pass on PC (fully, not just XPA games) and if it is successful, it would more than cover the costs of Xbox Live infrastructure. What they need to do is before that happens, get as many people on console to get on that subscription. That's why you lower the barrier of entry. The endgame is streaming and no one is going to pay for multiplayer, so you might as well open the gates and get users on your side. The opportunity for Microsoft is huge. You want to be Netflix, not Amazon Prime Video or YouTube Red. That's why I think that they will go in. It's a huge risk but one with tremendous payoff if it works. You want to give no one any reason for this to not be a no brainer.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
  • R+D for Xbox Live

The idea is that increase the number of people playing MP games, increases the opportunity to sell more content to more players. This could easily offset the losses you speak of. We already see this money bringing in ridiculous amounts of money on PC.

The profit opportunity comes from higher volumes. And you don't need recent 3rd Party support. MS will drive interest with their first party offerings, then players will jump into the 3rd party games they otherwise would not have been able to play.

I don't think this is true. When they are good, MP and SP games both sell very well. Also, half of the console market isn't paying for online MP services. So many of those top selling MP games are being sold to players who never even touch the multiplayer component. That's a missed opportunity to sell post launch content and could easily offset the costs you speak of.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thinking long term has cost Xbox a lot over the years. The whole thing with Gold is too much of a risk. Just can' see it happening.

I think they focus on games pass at first either way, and just leave Gold as it is.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe that we don't even have a Crackdown 3 beta in sight at this point, which they said would hit before the game releases.
They announced publicly and released the Sea of Thieves beta very quickly, you will see the same thing happen to Crackdown 3.

I still think MP gets shown off at E3 and the beta starts that weekend, full release in late July or August. (which would also give it the same amount of time between beta and release as SoT. didnt notice till now lol)

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does someone have a link to the Gamepass thread? I lost it.

It had all the available games as well as ones being added next month.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so an interesting thread from an alleged Microsoft insider just popped up on 4chan earlier, anybody here think the stuff being posted there is true?

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>Perfect Dark is currently a Deus Ex style reboot, but not much
>Fable is a complete reboot of the series with a focus on more linearity and story while still keeping the open world that Fable 1-3 had
>Scalebound isn't dead, we are currently in the process of shopping the project around to various teams to take up the project
> btw, there is 261,904 daily active XBL users
> AOE4 is currently being ported to XB1
>they are working on an Xbox VR project under the code name Scarlet, as of right now Forza Horizon 4 and a Halo demo are being tested to have VR support
>SoD2 is currently shooting for an early April release date
>Crackdown 3 releases May 29th
>Ori 2 releases September 18th
>Gears 5 ain't happening any time this year, The Coalition is currently overloaded with projects and the progress that has been made on GoW5 is extremely early (like 5% early)
>Halo 6 isn't happening this year either, but we are going to be getting a Mass Effect style spinoff that's been in development for 2 years

for the elite controller
>it's coming out later this year (around November)
>yes it will be discounted for those that bought the original one
>yes you will be able to replace your 1.0 with the new one but only if you have been having repeated issues with yours
>yes it works with aftermarket sticks
>no, only the sticks will work on the Elite 2

currently on the AA side
>MDHR is working on a sequel to Cuphead
>a mysterious project codenamed "Hellfire" popped up on a list last week of current projects, apparently it's a Sci-Fi FPS in the style of NOLF and Blade Runner done by a newly formed team
>Ashen and Below have reverted back to being full console exclusives
>a full remake of Banjo Kazooie is in the works at Rare to celebrate the series 20th anniversary
>ReCore is getting a sequel, this time it's running in UE4 instead of Unity

btw, the next round of og Xbox BC titles are going to be
>Morrowind
>Jade Empire
>Crimson Skies
>Project Gotham 1

For those that cant get link (doesnt work for me for some reason on mobile for example so i had to get on laptop)
Edit: I had clumped up his posts which made it confusing, sorry about that folks, I have separated them for easy reading.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
"Halo 6 isn't happening this year either, but we are going to be getting a Mass Effect style spinoff that's been in development for 2 years for the elite controller"

What the hell does that mean? Is that even a sentence?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
>Fable is a complete reboot of the series with a focus on more linearity and story while still keeping the open world that Fable 1-3 had
>Scalebound isn't dead, we are currently in the process of shopping the project around to various teams to take up the project
>they are working on an Xbox VR project under the code name Scarlet, as of right now Forza Horizon 4 and a Halo demo are being tested to have VR support
>Gears 5 ain't happening any time this year, The Coalition is currently overloaded with projects and the progress that has been made on GoW5 is extremely early (like 5% early)
>Halo 6 isn't happening this year either, but we are going to be getting a Mass Effect style spinoff that's been in development for 2 years
for the elite controller
>yes you will be able to replace your 1.0 with the new one but only if you have been having repeated issues with yours
currently on the AA side
>a mysterious project codenamed "Hellfire" popped up on a list last week of current projects, apparently it's a Sci-Fi FPS in the style of NOLF and Blade Runner done by a newly formed team
>a full remake of Banjo Kazooie is in the works at Rare to celebrate the series 20th anniversary
>Morrowind
>Jade Empire
>Crimson Skies
>Project Gotham 1

For those that cant get link (doesnt work for me for some reason on mobile for example so i had to get on laptop)
I hope any of this is true!

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
"Halo 6 isn't happening this year either, but we are going to be getting a Mass Effect style spinoff that's been in development for 2 years for the elite controller"

"For the elite controller" appears to be part of a new paragraph and unrelated to the Halo bits.

PLEASE LET ALL OF THAT STUFF BE TRUE

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said they seem like educated guesses. Next round of BC titles should be announced soon, if the names are right the leaks get a little less pinch of salt from me.

Crackdown 3 May release if it happens will definelty shine a nice light on this supposed leak until then we wait.

*sees BK remake for this year* please be real

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think that was a formatting error because for me it isn't that nonsensical. LoyalPhoenix can you bold the titles to separate the posts?

Yuuichi

Oct 25, 2017
東京砂漠
CS on the list of next round bc titles makes me immediately skeptical of that entire list, unless there's a third CS I'm completely forgetting the existence of

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
2018 has been fucking AWESOME for Xbox.

By the way - Celeste just came out, and it is absolutely incredible guys. Everybody that has an Xbox should play it.

It's not an exclusive, but it seems like the type of game that would skip Xbox entirely. And it got released day and date with PS4, Switch, and PC.

This is all provided that these rumours are true. *fingers crossed*

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
All of those leaks and nothing about Killer Instinct 2

I can't believe it

I will not have my spirits crushed

I refuse

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018

for the elite controller

currently on the AA side

>Morrowind
>Jade Empire
>Crimson Skies
>Project Gotham 1

Edit: I had clumped up his posts which made it confusing, sorry about that folks, I have separated them for easy reading.

Most of this would be rad, particularly a Recore sequel, but yeah this is total bollocks.

Oct 27, 2017
Credibility was lost in the first statement. Obviously gears isn't coming out this year. Everything else is just random thoughts and wishes that we've posted in this thread already

vjoez55

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds to good to be true would likely buy the system if mostly all of that comes to fruition. Very promising on paper i would say.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
currently on the AA side

What did I tell you guys? And you guys all called me crazy. I knew this would be happening after what Klobrille said about the Banjo 20A thing. I knew it!

EDIT: If this is all true, that is.....

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That stuff reads like a wishlist to me, specifically perfect dark being like (modern) deus ex, a halo mass effect (does that mean a 3rd person shooter or a RPG?) and banjo being completely remade although I guess that latter isn't totally absurd.

Remember if a list sounds too good to be true it almost always is.

Status
Not open for further replies.