• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is already very apparent that costs have been cut. Look at their output alone, and the severely reduced amount of comarketing deals, the apparent lowered spend on marketing. It is obviously lower, and that is a smart decision.
Just because the're not spdnding as much on marketing doesn't mean they've cut costs overall. Microsoft lost over 100 million dollars in the cancellation of Fable Legends, Scalebound, and Phantom Dust remake.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Just because the're not spdnding as much on marketing doesn't mean they've cut costs overall. Microsoft lost over 100 million dollars in the cancellation of Fable Legends, Scalebound, and Phantom Dust remake.

It's also certainly possible that they had to cut costs elsewhere due to losing a ton of money on cancelled plans, but I certainly don't think the division is spending as much overall as they did earlier this gen. Some of that is normal, as the beginning of the gen is especially important for marketing, but I think looking at the overall picture, it absolutely seems like they've shifted focus to next-gen a while ago.

Just the fact that the next mainline Halo won't be out this year and is likely very much a next-gen game will tell us everything we need to know. I do think we'll see a spinoff this year though, but lower budget.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also certainly possible that they had to cut costs elsewhere due to losing a ton of money on cancelled plans, but I certainly don't think the division is spending as much overall as they did earlier this gen. Some of that is normal, as the beginning of the gen is especially important for marketing, but I think looking at the overall picture, it absolutely seems like they've shifted focus to next-gen a while ago.
Whaaat?

They just had ads blitzing my tv over the past several months for the brand new console they just released. lol

And you took that as they're focused on the next gen?

Just the fact that the next mainline Halo won't be out this year and is likely very much a next-gen game will tell us everything we need to know. I do think we'll see a spinoff this year though, but lower budget.

You could not be more wrong about this. Halo 6 is absolutely 100% going to be released on the Xbox One, and Xbox One X.

I think they clearly made a lot of mistakes early on in this generation, and that included greenlighting some questionable projects, and as we all know making a big AAA game takes a lot of time. So I think they're really sorting things out still, but I suspect we're going to see some cool stuff announced at E3.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think MS in the middle of an Xbox renaissance with new focus on first party, game pass, play anywhere, etc. I don't think what we're seeing is them gearing up for next-gen, rather them still grinding out changes and games behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LOL. That still doesn't mean they've cut costs just because it "feels" like it to you. LOL Either you have receipts of Xbox division cutting costs because Microsoft is a public company, or you don't and everything else is conjecture based on your "feels".

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I expect they are putting most of their eggs in the next gen basket right now, while riding out the rest of the gen.
won't really be a next gen. Next Xbox's games will work on Xbox One X. Xbox One and Xbox One S will most likely be dropped as a requirement for new games. Incremental updates is the way forward.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I can imagine them putting less money on marketing to be fair. Twitch and YouTube are all the marketing a game needs. Games like Cuphead sold because of that. (And Sea of Thieves will because of that as well)

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
won't really be a next gen. Next Xbox's games will work on Xbox One X. Xbox One and Xbox One S will most likely be dropped as a requirement for new games. Incremental updates is the way forward.
This is a misguided belief directly contradicted by people at Xbox. I think the internet has incorrectly interpreted some things over the past year, and it's left this false impression.

Albert Panelo was asked about this during an interview with GiantBomb a few months ago and he said the Xbox One X was named that way to signal that it's still part of this generation. The two consoles represent this generation. The next console will be an entirely different generation. I'm sure backwards compatibility will absolutely happen on their next console, but I would absolutely not expect forwards compatibility. There are even some obvious technical reasons this is extremely unlikely to happen, but I won't bother going into those now.

All of this means that I don't really think Microsoft's strategy regarding hardware is different from Sony's. They released a new console in 2013, and 4 years later they released a souped up version of that hardware. A few years later they're going to start a new generation with a new box.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a misguided belief directly contradicted by people at Xbox. I think the internet has incorrectly interpreted some things over the past year, and it's left this false impression.

Albert Panelo was asked about this during an interview with GiantBomb a few months ago and he said the Xbox One X was named that way to signal that it's still part of this generation. The two consoles represent this generation. The next console will be an entirely different generation. I'm sure backwards compatibility will absolutely happen on their next console, but I would absolutely not expect forwards compatibility. There are even some obvious technical reasons this is extremely unlikely to happen, but I won't bother going into those now.

All of this means that I don't really think Microsoft's strategy regarding hardware is different from Sony's. They released a new console in 2013, and 4 years later they released a souped up version of that hardware. A few years later they're going to start a new generation with a new box.
I highly doubt that at all. If fable comes out in 2021, it'll def be on all the Xbox platforms. But it'll just be something like 900/1080p 30fps on the base one, 4k ish on the X etc

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. Games can scale really well nowadays so I think we will see hardware supported by new software for a longer period of time. Also I would be pissed if I bought a Xbox One X and 4 years later I couldn't play new games.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt that at all. If fable comes out in 2021, it'll def be on all the Xbox platforms. But it'll just be something like 900/1080p 30fps on the base one, 4k ish on the X etc
That's entirely possible, but there are people who believe the X is going to also be part of the new generation that will start in 2020. THAT is where I think they're completely wrong.

To be more specific, you might be able to play the next Fable on your Xbox One or Xbox One X, but that's going to involve you buying a disc that says "Xbox One" on it. You're not going to buy a disc that says the next generation Xbox name on it and pop it in your Xbox One X to play it.

We'll see. Games can scale really well nowadays so I think we will see hardware supported by new software for a longer period of time. Also I would be pissed if I bought a Xbox One X and 4 years later I couldn't play new games.
This is how mid generation update consoles are going to work. It will be the same story for the PS4 Pro. The next generation jump is going to be so significant on the CPU front that games made for those new consoles are simply not going to be able to run on an older machine. Some games might work, but they're still going to have to make an actual Xbox One sku for you to play it on your Xbox one or Xbox One X.

Oct 30, 2017
That's entirely possible, but there are people who believe the X is going to also be part of the new generation that will start in 2020. THAT is where I think they're completely wrong.

To be more specific, you might be able to play the next Fable on your Xbox One or Xbox One X, but that's going to involve you buying a disc that says "Xbox One" it. You're not going to buy a disc that says the next generation Xbox name on it and pop it in your Xbox One X to play it.

This is how mid generation update consoles are going to work. It will be the same story for those of us who also bought a PS4 Pro.
I feel like the box and disc Fable 4 comes in will just have Xbox on it. Meaning it will work with any currently supported Xbox branded machines and/or Windows 10. On the back it will state which devices are supported, for consumer clarity. Just IMO though. So in this case it would probably say Xbox One S, X, and whatever the new one is.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the box and disc Fable 4 comes in will just have Xbox on it. Meaning it will work with any currently supported Xbox branded machines and/or Windows 10. On the back it will state which devices are supported, for consumer clarity. Just IMO though. So in this case it would probably say Xbox One S, X, and whatever the new one is.
So ask yourself why Albert Panelo would make a point of saying the X was very intentionally named "Xbox One X". They did that to signify this is part of the current generation. That leads to the obvious conclusion that they see a next generation coming, and it's not going to be called "Xbox One". They're going to leave that behind, just like Sony is going to leave behind PS4.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So ask yourself why Albert Panelo would make a point of saying the X was very intentionally named "Xbox One X". They did that to signify this is part of the current generation. That leads to the obvious conclusion that they see a next generation coming, and it's not going to be called "Xbox One". They're going to leave that behind, just like Sony is going to leave behind PS4.
Yep. The next Xbox will have complete backwards compatibility with One, but the new games will be exclusive to the new generation. There's no way Microsoft is going to have their next gen console forcibly hamstrung by the One whilst the PS5 isn't.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's llike people ignore direct statements to the contrary and invent their own narrative based on nothing or "feels" LOL

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

To be more specific, you might be able to play the next Fable on your Xbox One or Xbox One X, but that's going to involve you buying a disc that says "Xbox One" on it. You're not going to buy a disc that says the next generation Xbox name on it and pop it in your Xbox One X to play it.

This is how mid generation update consoles are going to work. It will be the same story for the PS4 Pro. The next generation jump is going to be so significant on the CPU front that games made for those new consoles are simply not going to be able to run on an older machine. Some games might work, but they're still going to have to make an actual Xbox One sku for you to play it on your Xbox one or Xbox One X.
I guess we'll see. It won't go well imo if they don't have forward compatibility with the X. People are not going to be happy.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, I used to think that they'd just scale down Xbox 2 titles to work on the X1, but after that GB interview it definitely looks like they'll just concentrate on having all titles that you can play X1 be playable on the X2. When the next console releases, a sparse launch in terms of titles won't really be an issue, as your whole X1 collection will be there and I'd imagine it'll work much like BC does on the X1, where titles may be enhanced, or just run better due to the extra power.

All good in my book.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

To be fair, I could see the lines being blurred a bit during the transition. Meaning cross gen games will be a single purchase, maybe even on the same disc. So you could buy the Xbox One version of Cyberpunk and the Xbox Next version is already on your account when you upgrade to that console. But yeah, beyond that there will be next gen exclusive games that can't be replicated on XBO.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess we'll see. It won't go well imo if they don't have forward compatibility with the X. People are not going to be happy.
LOL. People understand and have accepted new generations since forever. Only way people wouldn't be happy is if the PS5 offered forward compatibility to PS4 Pro.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think we know enough about their plans to say one way or another. I personally feel like they will target both the X and the next console for their games. Maybe give the option to developers to only target the next console if they choose to do so. I just don't see how they can get away with selling the X to consumers when the intended life of the product is less than that of the original Xbox.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, I could see the lines being blurred a bit during the transition. Meaning cross gen games will be a single purchase, maybe even on the same disc. So you could buy the Xbox One version of Cyberpunk and the Xbox Next version is already on your account when you upgrade to that console. But yeah, beyond that there will be next gen exclusive games that can't be replicated on XBO.
Now this I can see happening during the first year. Whereas last generation transition offered limited time reduced prices if you bought a 360 cross gen game to also purchase an copy on Xbox On.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. People understand and have accepted new generations since forever. Only way people wouldn't be happy is if the PS5 offered forward compatibility to PS4 Pro.
People accepted it because the leaps in technology were so apparent. The leap between 360 and Xbox One wasn't that big imo, it will be less next time around. Games are lasting longer and tech is slowing down. You can see it on the PC, might as well embrace it on the Console. You will still get better hardware, just at a little slower pace, which is better for the entire industry. Only thing I can see pushing the demand forward is VR.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think MS in the middle of an Xbox renaissance with new focus on first party, game pass, play anywhere, etc. I don't think what we're seeing is them gearing up for next-gen, rather them still grinding out changes and games behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

I believe there's going to be a blur between current and next gen so you're all right. Most of their newer projects will be developed with leveraging the next Xbox in mind. Despite that, there's no reason they can't scale down to work on OG Xbox One and Xbox X. Games like Tomb Taider, Titanfall, Destiny, Forza Horizon 2 and MGS5 had 360 versions. It takes a few years before a new generation's games get to a point technically where they won't scale to previous generations. I'm not sure you can find more than 10 games this gen that couldn't scale down to the 360.

In addition, one of the points of UWP is scalability. Even if next gen has CPUs orders of magnitude more capable than OG Xbox One, games should scale from next gen machines down to running on a potato. Microsoft wants their games to eventually run on tablets, low powered PCs or anything with Windows 10. That's part of their not so secret plan with Game Pass.

So Microsoft is trying to attack multiple objectives at once. They'll be leveraging cloud compute gradually. Building games to scale across platforms. Rebuilding their portfolio. It all ties to their end game which is being able to sell their services to users over multiple platforms. Higher stakes due to far more potential reward so it's a fair assumption they'll be extremely aggressive.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People accepted it because the leaps in technology were so apparent. The leap between 360 and Xbox One wasn't that big imo, it will be less next time around. Games are lasting longer and tech is slowing down. You can see it on the PC, might as well embrace it on the Console. You will still get better hardware, just at a little slower pace, which is better for the entire industry. Only thing I can see pushing the demand forward is VR.
The change in better CPU's next gen will have a bigger impact, and yeah I also see VR getting pushed from the beginning of next gen by both Sony and Microsoft to differentiate it from this gen.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The change in better CPU's next gen will have a bigger impact, and yeah I also see VR getting pushed from the beginning of next gen by both Sony and Microsoft to differentiate it from this gen.

I think Microsoft is way more into AR than VR, and that it'll be interesting to see if the VR interest continues to cool such that it falls by the wayside early.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think we know enough about their plans to say one way or another. I personally feel like they will target both the X and the next console for their games. Maybe give the option to developers to only target the next console if they choose to do so. I just don't see how they can get away with selling the X to consumers when the intended life of the product is less than that of the original Xbox.

There is a very specific technical reason this is so unlikely to happen. All console games are built on a software development kit (SDK). These are specifically built machines that code the game to work on that specific console, and all the special security protocols, OS functions, etc that come with it. A game coded on an Xbox One SDK is made to work with an Xbox One console. Their next generation Xbox will absolutely have it's own SDK, with it's own OS functions, and security protocols, etc. Games built for one will not just work on the other.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft's approach to gaming will be similar to the PC. Not all games will be available for Xbox One with the next generation of Xbox, but it will be up to the developer to do so. With games being developed with PC in mind and using UWP, we may get more games on Xbox One than we previously did during the Xbox 360 -> Xbox One change in generation. But at the end of the day, it will be up to the developer.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
After releasing the XBO with Kinect, and all the issues that caused them, I'd be very surprised if the next Xbox releases with a peripheral of any kind.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a very specific technical reason this is so unlikely to happen. All console games are built on a software development kit (SDK). These are specifically built machines that code the game to work on that specific console, and all the special security protocols, OS functions, etc that come with it. A game coded on an Xbox One SDK is made to work with an Xbox One console. Their next generation Xbox will absolutely have it's own SDK, with it's own OS functions, and security protocols, etc.

I don't think anyone is arguing Xbox Next wouldn't have it's own SDK. Not sure why that matters in regards to cross play, cross purchasing. They aren't going to toss Play Anywhere out the window the second they release a next gen console. Things like Fable 4, Halo 6, etc will most likely have both an Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Next version and it will be a single purchase.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Technology is not slowing down overall although you are correct if you're inferring console and PC hardware will become less relevant. If anything, technology will be speeding up over the next decade as we introduce low latency, high bandwidth internet and advances in AI, automation and data analytics. All that will impact entertainment and gaming either directly or indirectly. There will be greater jumps in gaming experiences over the next decade than there was this past decade.

That said, what you're referring to on the hardware side is diminishing returns in graphics and performance. It's not that hardware isn't advancing. It's that 5x power doesn't have the same impact to visuals (which is what the average person notices). Developers don't have 5x budgets to keep squeezing hardware either. Eventually they'll take advantage of automation and cloud compute so this will be just a temporary slowdown to gaming advancements.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is arguing Xbox Next wouldn't have it's own SDK. Not sure why that matters in regards to cross play, cross purchasing. They aren't going to toss Play Anywhere out the window the second they release a next gen console. Things like Fable 4, Halo 6, etc will most likely have both an Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Next version and it will be a single purchase.
I was specifically responding to people talking about buying a disc and it working in an Xbox One X and also working on the next generation Xbox. Play anywhere is different as you're downloading entirely different game files to different devices.

Also, where is this idea coming from that Halo 6 is some far off project? At the absolute latest I see them shipping that game in the fall of 2019, a full year before a next generation starts.

Anyone who thinks BC is not mandatory for all future Xbox hardware is just stubborn at this point
No one on this entire page has argued BC is not happening on the next Xbox.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. That still doesn't mean they've cut costs just because it "feels" like it to you. LOL Either you have receipts of Xbox division cutting costs because Microsoft is a public company, or you don't and everything else is conjecture based on your "feels".

I mean of course it doesn't. This is what it feels like to me only, I can't speak to more than that. It's not like I have hard evidence, just looking at the signs! It's quite possible they haven't, it just looks that way, AND I think it WOULD be smart to prepare for next-gen. Y'all are very much free to disagree with me!

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, and I'm fairly certain there was a comment from Greenberg or Penello that it wouldn't be the case on one of the Kinda Funny podcasts.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think anybody is disputing this.

I misunderstood the convo going on my apologies, but i also think that its obvious whatever new hardware comes out software for at least a year will be available to play on both X and Nextbox while the new generation starts. It will ease the pain of having to buy everything new so quickly.

Papilloma

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is exactly how it will work, certainy with digital purchases. Think like Play Anywhere, you'd get a licence for the game that would work on Xbox 1, PC and the next gen Xbox.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is exactly how it will work, certainy with digital purchases. Think like Play Anywhere, you'd get a licence for the game that would work on Xbox 1, PC and the next gen Xbox.

Yup. And I could see them using Game Pass in the coming years to entice people to upgrade to new hardware over time. "Xbox Next" exclusive section showing Xbox One owners previews and screens of games they could be playing right now if they had a new machine.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean of course it doesn't. This is what it feels like to me only, I can't speak to more than that. It's not like I have hard evidence, just looking at the signs! It's quite possible they haven't, it just looks that way, AND I think it WOULD be smart to prepare for next-gen. Y'all are very much free to disagree with me!
Ok, I disagree with you. :P

From Inside Xbox, purchase of Minecraft, 360 and OG Xbox BC and X enhancements, to Game Pass, Play Anywhere, Windows 10 store, to Console Launch exclusives like PUBG, to console exclusives like Cuphead, to first party exclusives like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, and Forza Horizon 4, to reinvesting in titles like Fable and Perfect Dark. I think Xbox division is simply spreading it's costs around different areas rather than cutting costs.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that mostly AR? Forgive me if it's not, I'm barely familiar with this outside of rumors lol.
VR and AR. Same software platform called Windows Mixed Reality. Hololens is AR, while these low cost headsets are VR. At some point headsets will do both.

The VR headsets came out end of last year with support for some games in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 and Steam VR support.

They will bring these to Xbox at some point.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
VR and AR. Same software platform called Windows Mixed Reality. Hololens is AR, while these low cost headsets are VR. At some point headsets will do both.

The VR headsets came out end of last year with support for some games in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10 and Steam VR support.

They will bring these to Xbox at some point.

The AR stuff sounds really, really neat.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Release date: May 22nd

Standard edition: 29.99$
Ultimate edition: 49.99$

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.