• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much confirm Playground new studio making Fable.
From studio behind highest rating Xbox game and devs behind GTV5, MGS5 and hellblade, that's like top tier openwolrd with top tier melee combat.
This could be MS's BoTW with better combat.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I could see PG being a little salty about that. Though the location is a relatively small part of what they'll reveal at e3.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fable should be a reboot. I like the era in all three games, but they'd be hard pressed to go beyond that.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Fable should be a reboot. I like the era in all three games, but they'd be hard pressed to go beyond that.
Not just that, they need to set up a proper main character at least. I hope they go with Fable the lost chapters cover for inspiration:
Fablebox.jpg

I think a cool story idea could come from that cover.
Also Oakvale must be somewhere in the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjO2N7N0Dq8

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rare making the new Perfect Dark is obvious. A bit too obvious.

But they did say years ago they had ideas for a new Perfect Dark game.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Electric Square working on PD, Playground on Fable is my guesses

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Not just that, they need to set up a proper main character at least. I hope they go with Fable the lost chapters cover for inspiration:

I think a cool story idea could come from that cover.
Also Oakvale must be somewhere in the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjO2N7N0Dq8
Yeah I'd prefer they maintained the same tone and locales from Fable. More of a reset than a reboot I suppose. Combat could use major retooling. Fable Legends wasn't bad in that regard. I've always imagined the next mainline Fable having 'dynamic' regions. Have seasons that leave certain areas and items inaccessible until Spring/Winter comes. Like the Knothole Island DLC on a much larger scale. Have quest decisions that change landscapes, such as cursing Oakvale and turning it into Wraithmarsh. Having a transforming world with fun combat and creature variety would make the game stand out, even in the post Witcher 3/BotW world.

Gangsta_Red

Nov 9, 2017
The Bay!
As much as I like what I'm reading about these rumors, i think we Xbox fans have all been here before discussing what MS should bring this E3 only to be let down hard.

Last year we heard rumors of a Halo game, a new MMO, AoE4 and something from the Dark Tide series and what we got was 3rd party multiplats and then delays on almost all of their games.

I hope these rumors are true, MS spent the better half of this gen correcting the hardware mistakes of the Xbox One, they now need to focus strictly on their games output and how embarrassing lacking it is compared to the competition.

And when I say lacking I mean just having a title that is critically acclaimed by not only reviewers but by fans also. MS desperately needs a triple A hit that can at least be considered a GOTY. Not that it matters but it would be nice to have that golden ticket type of game for Xbox.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd prefer they maintained the same tone and locales from Fable. More of a reset than a reboot I suppose. Combat could use major retooling. Fable Legends wasn't bad in that regard. I've always imagined the next mainline Fable having 'dynamic' regions. Have seasons that leave certain areas and items inaccessible until Spring/Winter comes. Like the Knothole Island DLC on a much larger scale. Have quest decisions that change landscapes, such as cursing Oakvale and turning it into Wraithmarsh. Having a transforming world with fun combat and creature variety would make the game stand out, even in the post Witcher 3/BotW world.
Yep Fables strength has always been it's world, I just hope they don't go full open-world with it. I would rather have a smaller more closely knit world thats unique and hand crafted than something thats so open that it loses Fables most important aspect.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Yep Fables strength has always been it's world, I just hope they don't go full open-world with it. I would rather have a smaller more closely knit world thats unique and hand crafted than something thats so open that it loses Fables most important aspect.
It could be open world if it's done well. Skyrim does density well, while Witcher 3 has a ton of negative space. I'd be happy with regions as well, I'd suspect they would be larger than previous Fable games even if regions were maintained.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Electric Square working on PD, Playground on Fable is my guesses
Electric Square is working on a big budget AAA third person Action/Adventure game that has competitive multiplayer and crossplay. It's also a new IP. I think it's more likely to be a new IP involving mechs (like the leak said a bunch of files about mechs were found). Perfect Dark is FAR from new. Since Rare started hiring recently, I can only think that Rare is developing Perfect Dark with The Coalition overseeing it to make sure the shooter gameplay is satisfying (since they have experience with modern shooters and Rare does not)

Oct 26, 2017
Holy cow this thread is getting more interesting everyday.

So who is that guy that is talking about a London Studio? The way he's talking it doesn't seem like just some baseless speculation. Playground making Fable would be so good, because one... we know they are talented and two the game is known to be singleplayer and that removed any doubt that they could be going the Legends route again.

And that header on Greenberg's page, that is not fake? A important dude at Xbox and he uses fan art from FH4 and Fable? Hopefully a sign we may see a glimpse of Fable after all at E3 then. It's not Legends artwork is it?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Electric Square is working on a big budget AAA third person Action/Adventure game that has competitive multiplayer and crossplay. It's also a new IP. I think it's more likely to be a new IP involving mechs (like the leak said a bunch of files about mechs were found). Perfect Dark is FAR from new. Since Rare started hiring recently, I can only think that Rare is developing Perfect Dark with The Coalition overseeing it to make sure the shooter gameplay is satisfying (since they have experience with modern shooters and Rare does not)

Wouldn't be safer to just hire another developer to work on Perfect Dark rather than Rare??

That's like MS giving Rare the KI IP back in 2012. I am glad MS trusted Double Helix at the time. I highly doubt Rare would have delivered the experience we received.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

So who is that guy that is talking about a London Studio? The way he's talking it doesn't seem like just some baseless speculation. Playground making Fable would be so good, because one... we know they are talented and two the game is known to be singleplayer and that removed any doubt that they could be going the Legends route again.

And that header on Greenberg's page, that is not fake? A important dude at Xbox and he uses fan art from FH4 and Fable? Hopefully a sign we may see a glimpse of Fable after all at E3 then. It's not Legends artwork is it?
Are you talking about Lobrille who said Fable was being done by a U.K. studio and is codenamed Project Wisdom? In 2016, before E3, he went into Xbox's API/database basically and found a bunch of files and put them on Reddit. Everyone basically called it BS at the time but almost every single thing happened.

You can read it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4luugg/e3_teaser_trailer_coming_online_later_today/

EDIT: Oh the other insider on Twitter that said London Studio.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

GamesIndustry.Biz guy, so he would be in the position here those sort of rumours. The London studios thing was a joke see his second tweet, starting with a "L" basically Leamington Spa (Playground Games.)

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be wild to see a studio known for racing games take a stab at an RPG. I feel like that just doesn't happen anymore.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Pretty much confirm Playground new studio making Fable.
From studio behind highest rating Xbox game and devs behind GTV5, MGS5 and hellblade, that's like top tier openwolrd with top tier melee combat.
This could be MS's BoTW with better combat.
I would cream my pants easily.

And Perfect Dark by Rare/Coalition would be a dream too.
I'm not ready to believe in Phil Spencer yet.

Oct 29, 2017
Why is no one talking about Mechwarrior 5? The game already has a trailer out and MS owns the IP. It's probably an Xbox port of the upcoming game.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Microsoft never gets a break does it? It seems that every single E3 they've had the past few years all the games leak out months before reveal. For being one of the biggest corporations in the world, they sure aren't smart enough to secure their databases and APIs.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be safer to just hire another developer to work on Perfect Dark rather than Rare??

That's like MS giving Rare the KI IP back in 2012. I am glad MS trusted Double Helix at the time. I highly doubt Rare would have delivered the experience we received.
"Safe" has never been in Rare's vocabulary. If Rare are making the new Perfect Dark, it will be the Twin Peaks Season 3 of Perfect Dark games. Rare have often delivered completely unexpected games, and in today's market, being completely unexpected would be a good thing. I'm not talking Young Conker unexpected. I'm talking the Perfect Dark we need, not the Perfect Dark we think we need. I say this as someone who considered Perfect Dark possibly the greatest FPS game ever created. Take the ideas -- and this requires actually understanding the game -- and mold them into a slick, modern package. And avoid all the copycat FPS nonsense that destroyed PD: Zero. Make something genuinely fresh, just as GE/PD were fresh when they came out.

If Rare are making the new Perfect Dark, I seriously hope they rehire as many people from the original team as they can, or at least get their feedback throughout development. (Although some of them work for Ubisoft and other companies now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.