• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryse was underrated, IMO.

It was a simple, yet effective story, and the combat was tight and responsive.

It got hate for being to reliant on QTEs- when that really wasn't the case at all.

It really could have used more enemy variety. A sequel could have been excellent.

Yeah the QTE thing was unfair backlash. It was much a series of QTEs as any other rhythm/response game - i.e. not at all.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm not going to get my hopes up for a new Banjo game because we've been disappointed in regards to a new game so many times before, but I think it'd be really cool to see a full on remake of the first two games. And I don't mean like those two XBLA remakes that have been out for awhile now. I mean like a complete graphical overhaul of the first two games Conker Live & Reloaded style. Improved framerate, improved textures, etc. Imagine that with the power of the X!

I don't think it would need to take a big team to make nor a long development time or anything. Would be perfect for the 20th anniversary this year. Probably the best thing we can ever hope to get anyway.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing the Crash remaster's insane success it makes sense to me that MS wants Banjo 1+2 remastered for the 20YA.

That would not only be good will but definitely interesting to a lot of long lost Xbox fans. That's one of those mainstream ideas that get big and sell Xboxes IMO.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
After seeing the Crash remaster's insane success it makes sense to me that MS wants Banjo 1+2 remastered for the 20YA.

That would not only be good will but definitely interesting to a lot of long lost Xbox fans. That's one of those mainstream ideas that get big and sell Xboxes IMO.

I'm not sure how much of a pull Banjo has anymore especially when compared to Crash. Crash was a mascot for a very, very popular system back in the 90's and that's why there's so much nostalgia for Crash.

Banjo, on the other hand, isn't nearly as significant to the history of Xbox as Crash is to PlayStation. Banjo's heyday was on a Nintendo console, so maybe if these remasters were coming out on Switch, there'd be more nostalgic appeal I think. But sadly Banjo is stuck on Xbox consoles due to obvious reasons.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not sure how much of a pull Banjo has anymore especially when compared to Crash. Crash was a mascot for a very, very popular system back in the 90's and that's why there's so much nostalgia for Crash.

Banjo, on the other hand, isn't nearly as significant to the history of Xbox as Crash is to PlayStation. Banjo's heyday was on a Nintendo console, so maybe if these remasters were coming out on Switch, there'd be more nostalgic appeal I think. But sadly Banjo is stuck on Xbox consoles due to obvious reasons.
That's why Microsoft would be better doing a full Banjo reboot that is more in tune with today's gaming audience, rather than a remaster/remake that will only appeal to the nostalgia of a few.

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft can do amazing graphics just fine, have you seen Ryse? It's a BEAUTIFUL game. But Ryse's gameplay isn't the best. What Sony nails is story and giving fun gameplay to that story.

Microsoft's games in the last decade tend to either have story but terrible multiplayer (Halo 4) or have great gameplay and multiplayer but AWFUL story (Halo 5). They need to master a balance.

The best examples I've seen this generation are what Microsoft needs to do more of are Ori and the Blind Forest and Sunset Overdrive. Two games that balance it out perfectly.

Oh for sure, during Microsoft's ''controversial'' E3 we did get to see one amazing looking game indeed. Ryse was definitely a looker and yup, Sunset Overdrive too. What a shame it's not receiving a X patch. And yes, again fully agreed about balancing it out. Although i for one loved Halo 4's MP. :)

Without going into too much detail, I know for sure that Microsoft have got their cheque book out and are actively seeking out both smaller and larger titles they can get as an Xbox exclusive, both timed and full on.

That is damn good to hear man. Your input is very much appreciated. It's starting to feel really good to be a big Xbox gamer again. Sure it already was great thanks to the X but those exclusives man, those promises about improving which they did a few years ago and the only real new things all got cancelled. Good stuff this, even if we likely won't see any footage of it anytime soon.

Oh and as for The Coalition, is this team big enough to be split in two? Or is Gears 5 on hold? Which i very very much doubt.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A rebooted Banjo for it's 20th anniversary is just too much for me to process. I'm going to forget I read that post and just move on with my life, lol.

Also great to hear that the cheque book is out, looking forward to seeing what might come from this investment, roll on June!

ps, Trailmakers looks awesome! Please port it to consoles :)

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
That's why Microsoft would be better doing a full Banjo reboot that is more in tune with today's gaming audience, rather than a remaster/remake that will only appeal to the nostalgia of a few.

Or they can do both which would be the best case scenario, especially for Banjo's anniversary this year, but MS probably doesn't see it that way. Not even Crash has had a new game yet, so I guess it's whatever.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
My initial information about Banjo was wrong. I found a game ID that clearly refers to a new Banjo project. That said - I can't say what exactly this is. New game, collection, X Enhanced Nuts n Bolts. Banjo in a different game. I simply don't know. Since there is a clear connection to ... _20A/ - it is something I guess. I'm not as sure on this one as on the other things - for which I received further evidence and shared it with Zhuge by the way. That's it for now. The next ~2 years will be fun for me, too, as I hope I was able to interprete the infos correctly.

I'm curious on how you get the infos. What do the lines of codes look like ? How do you get info from there (like how did we jump unto conclusion that Playground was behind the new Fable game codename Wisdom) ? What do you do for a living ?

Without going into too much detail, I know for sure that Microsoft have got their cheque book out and are actively seeking out both smaller and larger titles they can get as an Xbox exclusive, both timed and full on.

Please, do !

Wasn't Ryse a mediocre game?

Divisive probably but mediocre is hyperbolic IMO (I did love that game).

It got hate for being too reliant on QTEs- when that really wasn't the case at all.

It really could have used more enemy variety. A sequel could have been excellent.

Thank you !

Oh and as for The Coalition, is this team big enough to be split in two? Or is Gears 5 on hold? Which i very very much doubt.

Maybe it's a case similar to the PUB siutation, where they just oversee some stuff with their expertise.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I loved Ryse but the only thing I hated was there lack of look on the enemies. They must have had about ten different models.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I loved Ryse but the only thing I hated was there lack of look on the enemies. They must have had about ten different models.

Yep that was one of the major issues. Funny because playing Syndicate ATM my girlfriend said to me "do you fight clones all the time ?". But at least you have a lot of mechanics in AC or else and fighting enemies was the main focus in Ryse (man, what a cool name for a game).

BTW, a long time ago we heard that a rumoured Ryse : Kingdom, took place in Medieval setting, more open, with more variety in everything (and dragons or something) but got canned because Crytek wanted to keep the brand. Was this true ?

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 5 is going to be interesting, TC said themselves that they'll be experimenting heavily with new ideas. The Gears of War franchise has never moved away from its core, very excited for what TC will do gameplay-wise.

Gears 4 was playing it safe, except for some of the later parts and i wish the campaign had more of that. But i get why they did this. If they are going to be experimenting heavily with new ideas then that's something i can only applaud, because if not this franchise is going to became stale again, much like what happened around the time Judgment released.

It got hate for being too reliant on QTEs- when that really wasn't the case at all.

More variety in the combat as well, because it did get boring a little after a while. But yeah i never understood some of those extremely low review numbers. To this day the graphics still shine too. Imagine what it would look like with a X patch, goddamn man.

Yep that was one of the major issues. Funny because playing Syndicate ATM my girlfriend said to me "do you fight clones all the time ?". But at least you have a lot of mechanics in AC or else and fighting enemies was the main focus in Ryse (man, what a cool name for a game).

BTW, a long time ago we heard that a rumoured Ryse : Kingdom, took place in Medieval setting, more open, with more variety in everything (and dragons or something) but got canned because Crytek wanted to keep the brand. Was this true ?

If that's true then.....fuck man, that could have been so awesome.MS should have let Crytek keep the franchise and just have the game developed. They did agree with Insomniac when they wanted to keep SO themselves. Why not here?

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Looking for possible candidates, only these recently tease projects, Fromsoft Shadow die twice and Gen Design new title.
Engadget article look silly now.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
the last thing is MS needing another damn racing franchise.
I think there are space for more.

At least one Rally entry, a kart (with power ups and battle mode off course), and a ultra fast paced futuristic racer.

Give each a team as talented as Turn10/Playground (and Sumo for the Kart one) and we are in heaven.

Edit: I didn't forgot PGR, I would love for it to come back, but if I'm being real I dunno if there's a market for the franchise anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just glad my fears don't seem to be coming true. With that i mean that MS would only look at Games as a Service for the bigger games and keep the SP only games at smaller games. It was starting to look like that going by the things Shannon Loftis said about story driven SP games.

Fable sure doesn't sound like a small game at all, unless it turns out PG is not making it and then it would mean a new IP after all and still SP anyway. But as Jangle said before, it's a returning franchise. Going by the description of the new PG project, how can it not be Fable? :)

MS offering both very solid SP games and MP games is exactly what i want.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

I can't agree with you any more than I do, Tru. Ryse is still one of my favorite games this generation and I believe that a solid foundation was laid for a truly remarkable sequel. The technical foundation was there, the gameplay systems and encounter designs are really what needed upgrading. It was a jewel in the rough, considering it's development history as a former kinect title.

If only ...

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for possible candidates, only these recently tease projects, Fromsoft Shadow die twice and Gen Design new title.
Engadget article look silly now.

You expect 2 Japanese (?) studios with a strong relationship to Sony to make Xbox One exclusive games?

Also, really, the Engadget article looks silly because of forum post rumors?

Last edited:

Deleted member 14927

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there are space for more.

At least one Rally entry, a kart (with power ups and battle mode off course), and a ultra fast paced futuristic racer.

Give each a team as talented as Turn10/Playground (and Sumo for the Kart one) and we are in heaven.

Edit: I didn't forgot PGR, I would love for it to come back, but if I'm being real I dunno if there's a market for the franchise anymore.

Banjo rally, Banjo kart & Banjo 2048 :)

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm just glad my fears don't seem to be coming true. With that i mean that MS would only look at Games as a Service for the bigger games and keep the SP only games at smaller games. It was starting to look like that going by the things Shannon Loftis said about story driven SP games.

Fable sure doesn't sound like a small game at all, unless it turns out PG is not making it and then it would mean a new IP after all and still SP anyway. But as Jangle said before, it's a returning franchise. Going by the description of the new PG project, how can it not be Fable? :)

MS offering both very solid SP games and MP games is exactly what i want.
Honestly, did MS ever had any real motive to people to claim they were pursuing only GaaS?

Never made sense to me people coming to this conclusion when they cancelled Fable Legends, but people just parroted it around, and even distorted when Phil said the exact opposite, that they knew they had to make their platform attractive to these games too, and that they saw services like gamepass as an opportunity to make as much money from non service games as they make from GaaS.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
After playing Super Lucky's Tale, all I could think is that MS has the perfect developer there to create a Banjo game. SLT is a fun, polished platformer made on a low budget in a short space of time, so with more time, a bigger budget and Rare's supervision I could see them doing a great Banjo reboot. They might rather work on their own IPs though - although I know if I was a developer I'd love the opportunity to work on the Banjo IP.
Why that game got so bashed by the critics anyway? It's not a GOTY contender at all, but very polished and quite enjoyable. When I finished it, my only complain about it was that it was so very easy, and disappointing that when the game starts throwing some more challenging scenarios the game just ends XD

You expect 2 Japanese (?) studios with a strong relationship to Sony to make Xbox One exclusive games?

Also, really, the Engadget article looks silly because of forum post rumors?
From made exclusive games for Ms back in the original Xbox (Otogi, which totally should come back, btw) and for 360 (Ninja Blade, which was a bit disappointing compared to their exclusives to Ps3, but it was a exclusive nonetheless)

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Was Ryse anything like what Retro's Raven Blade was going to be? They both have the same setting, right? All this discussion about Ryse reminded me of the cancelled Raven Blade lol.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting theory. It's been confirmed that Microsoft are throwing money around. A lot of money. And there is a FromSoft title that is conspicuously missing Sony logos in its teaser trailer. Which almost certainly means it is either multiplatform or... something else. But almost certainly not Playstation exclusive. If you were Microsoft, which Japanese publishers and developers would you put on your "throw money at them until they give us something" list? Because I think it goes without saying a company that is allegedly funding a Mech game is probably looking to target other "Japan-centric" genres as well. This is all speculation, but it's interesting to think about.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From made exclusive games for Ms back in the original Xbox (Otogi, which totally should come back, btw) and for 360 (Ninja Blade, which was a bit disappointing compared to their exclusives to Ps3, but it was a exclusive nonetheless)

It's an interesting theory. It's been confirmed that Microsoft are throwing money around. A lot of money. And there is a FromSoft title that is conspicuously missing Sony logos in its teaser trailer. Which almost certainly means it is either multiplatform or... something else. But almost certainly not Playstation exclusive. If you were Microsoft, which Japanese publishers and developers would you put on your "throw money at them until they give us something" list? Because I think it goes without saying a company that is allegedly funding a Mech game is probably looking to target other "Japan-centric" genres as well. This is all speculation, but it's interesting to think about.

There's a bigger change the game is PS exclusive than Xbox exclusive, even though I think it is multiplatt. FromSoft has a 3 game deal with Sony, there's 2 games left to make and if they become a success for them like Bloodborne I would assume they will extend that deal.

I would argue also that the Xbox plattform is in a bit different place today than it ws during the release of Otogi and Ninja Blade, in sales and it's status in Japan which might make FromSoft not make a deal with MS, but that's all my thoughts.

Why not??

Sony does it all the time preventing games hitting the Xbox ecosystem.

Sony too™

When Sony does it it's still not cool.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is it really awesome? that implies they will moneyhat games which I fail to see how it is awesome.
The statement is too vague to interprete it like that to be honest. I'm sure they are funding projects that wouldn't be possible otherwise in that shape or form. In addition to having timed exclusive etc. just like the whole industry is doing it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Please do not engage in console-war rhetoric.

And while healthy speculation & discussion based off insider sharing is perfectly fine, please take care to not overly derail this thread into theory-crafting and game-guessing of "what if game X is exclusive because it did not show competitor logo, etc etc".

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There's a bigger change the game is PS exclusive than Xbox exclusive, even though I think it is multiplatt. FromSoft has a 3 game deal with Sony, there's 2 games left to make and if thet become a success for them like Bloodborne I would assume they will extend that deal.

I would argue also that the Xbox plattform is in a bit different place today than it ws during the release of Otogi and Ninja Blade, in sales and it's status in Japan which might make FromSoft not make a deal with MS, but that's all my thoughts.
Didn't the 3 game deal finished with Bloodborne? (Demons, 3d Dot Heroes, Bloodborne). Or they made a new deal after PS3 extending to 2 more games?

To be honest, I think from now on From will be multi, with the success they have now there's no reason for them (unless by a contract they already signed) to make anymore exclusive games, when they are guaranteed to have an huge success on their hands even if they launch a new IP.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Didn't the 3 game deal finished with Bloodborne? (Demons, 3d Dot Heroes, Bloodborne). Or they made a new deal after PS3 extending to 2 more games?

To be honest, I think from now on From will be multi, with the success they have now there's no reason for them (unless by a contract they already signed) to make anymore exclusive games, when they are guaranteed to have an huge success on their hands even if they launch a new IP.

There is no proof or evidence that a multi-game deal existed.

In the first place, 3D Dot Heroes is not a first-party Sony game, but rather a game where FromSoftware themselves are the publisher.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, if I recall correctly, the deal started with Bloodborne.

I think Shadows Die Twice game is a multiplatt, next one will be PS4 exclusive. I remember that the first Switch partner pic Nintendo released (clicky) had FromSoft there so maybe something for Nintendo or not.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Is it really awesome? that implies they will moneyhat games which I fail to see how it is awesome.
You are assuming this means just picking a game that is already finished and ready to launch as multiplat and then being made exclusive.

It's perfectly possible to be a PUBG or Cuphead situation, where the games definitely improved with MS help. With Ms having their 1st party teams collaborating on such deals, even having a in house dedicated team to support. For all we know they could just be in a pitching phase and having Ms as the publisher to fully bank the project as well.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There is no proof or evidence that a multi-game deal existed.

In the first place, 3D Dot Heroes is not a first-party Sony game, but rather a game where FromSoftware themselves are the publisher.

No, if I recall correctly, the deal started with Bloodborne.

I think Shadows Die Twice game is a multiplatt, next one will be PS4 exclusive. I remember that the first Switch partner pic Nintendo released (clicky) had FromSoft there so maybe something for Nintendo or not.

Oh, I stand corrected then. Though, I don't know why would they make such a deal after Dark Souls was already a thing, and their status were off the roof.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a few ways of viewing the situation. One diplomatic way of looking at it is that it doesn't matter who does the money throwing. That added money provides stability and resources that quite honestly every developer needs, particularly in today's market when games cost so much to make. Everyone moneyhats. People try to distinguish between "games that were paid off" and "games that wouldn't happen without this multinational corporation's funding" and frankly it's nowhere near as clear cut as they generally think.

It's like filmmakers agreeing to shoot Netflix exclusives. In many cases, they could have found funding in other ways. But Netflix throwing money at various filmmakers in a scattergun of "We'll fund the entire project" and "We'll market your film and get it in front of millions of eyeballs" is a very successful business model that does benefit both filmmakers and Netflix. Because it's security.

But of course the difference is that Neflix "exclusives" aren't really all that exclusive due to piracy and even Blu Ray releases and such. (See the Stranger Things Blu Ray, for instance.) The reason consoles have tensions around exclusivity is because of how consoles work. (Although it's worth noting that, unlike Sony, all the games Microsoft moneyhats will presumably also be coming to PC as part of their Play Anywhere initiative. It's not really clear what their approach for "non-first party" stuff will be. It's early days currently.)

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe those Battletoad rumors never came to friction, they went on for years (2014, 2015, 2016) and as a result seemed fairly real.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's keep it real, a brand new Banjo game would bomb. Microsoft is better finding indie games that fill that niche like Ori and Cuphead.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
What? Gears of War 4 is extremely samey compared to Gears 1-3, gameplay is EXACTLY the same. As someone who was a huge fan of the first few Gears games, playing Gears 4 years later the gameplay feels really outdated. I never said that Halo gameplay was generic, I love Halo 5's gameplay.

wat? youre not an really hardcore fan... gears 4 have the most updated gameplay of your formula, cam distance, new moves, CMS, new weapons and an set of balance and logical revisions... it's really not the "EXACTLY the same"

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I can't believe those Battletoad rumors never came to friction, they went on for years (2014, 2015, 2016) and as a result seemed fairly real.

I'm starting to think all those hints and rumors were just about the various cameos in different games. I wouldn't be surprised if a new Battletoads game was never in development. Or if it was cancelled.

Let's keep it real, a brand new Banjo game would bomb. Microsoft is better finding indie games that fill that niche like Ori and Cuphead.

What if Microsoft were to give it a huge marketing campaign? I doubt they'd commit that much to Banjo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.