• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How big is The Coalition? Can they work on two games at the same time?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just to clear this up, The Darwin Project is in no way related to Project Knoxville. We still have that IP. It IS an incredibly similar concept though. A lot of us in the office were quite confused when the trailer started up last E3, because it looked so similar to Knoxville. :)
Huh. That, you guys, and Deep Rock Galactic all looking pretty similar to the original three pitches really threw me for a loop, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys
storylab-1024x511.jpg

So it might be that book from that guy on twitter, getting a video game adaptation maybe?

Wow, ok, that's something. When did that webpage get updated with that information?

Storylab is a motion capture studio, they've worked on video games and movies, so whatever this is requires extensive use of motion capture technology.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is: Coalition is focusing on this new IP while helping with stuff like PUBG and maybe Perfect Dark. There's also the Gears movie and probably a new novel as per Rod Ferguson. I wouldn't be surprised if they carry on with more content for Gears 4 in the meantime (Gears 2 UE should happen too imo). Gears needs to come back hard but for that it needs to rest first.

That's perfect. The community is beyond alive in Gears 4. 5 doesn't need to come out so fast.

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking love how alive this thread has been since the new year started. And not only just general talks and hopes what MS could be doing but also actual info. Awesome stuff.

Although I'm slightly disappointed that the Electric Square game is a MP focused game. Is it Gobo making the action adventure then or was that untrue?

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Everyday something new, it seems they are doing the two team approach. Coalition under Rod has shown there the perfect team to be handling two projects at once, but I do wonder is Rod heading up this project or will this be a seperate team.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over 200 at the end of Gears 4 but have been hiring a lot since, I wouldn't be surprised if BigPark got folded into them.

How much "a lot" we're talking here? few hundreds? Because that's what you need to work on two AAA games (I assume this new IP is an AAA because they're doing motion capture).

Think they're around 250 these days, I'd say that's sizable enough. I don't imagine both projects would be in full production at the same time.

If so, then I don't think they working on Gears 5 right now.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's up with The Coalition?
Presumably they have 3 ongoing projects:

- Perfect Dark collab.
- New IP
- Gears 5

But, what if the "Dark" reference in the API wasn't about PD, but about that book adaptation instead?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So, what's up with The Coalition?
Presumably they have 3 ongoing projects:

- Perfect Dark collab.
- New IP
- Gears 5

But, what if the "Dark" reference in the API wasn't about PD, but about that book adaptation instead?
It wasn't just "Dark", it was "Mrs. Dark", but to be honest the first thing that came to mind when I read it was Alan Wake, because of the lady darkness XD Only after my mind jumped to perfect dark XD

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
New Coalition IP is a big fuckin' deal.

I'd agree with people saying there's no rush to get 5 out the door, and unlike 343, TC started out as a general purpose studio - giving them some creative freedom is an extremely good sign.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
If Coalition is indeed working on a new IP, I'd guess they have one big team working on it and a smaller team + external studio working on a Remaster of Gears2 with Gears4 MP

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Aaron Greenberg confirm months ago TC were working on a new IP?
Oh yeh I completely forgot about it, but because it was Aaron I just threw it away. Guess he was being honest about there plans:
The Coalition is very hard at work right now on a number of things- we aren't talking about them right now.

How much "a lot" we're talking here? few hundreds? Because that's what you need to work on two AAA games (I assume this new IP is an AAA because they're doing motion capture).
30-40 positions which is quite rapid.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just going off what Rod Fergusson's posted over on Twitter over the past years about signing book and comic deals I'm sure they'll have something "Gears" related kicking around for a while even if the games go dark for a bit. A new IP from them would be exciting though; still wonder about Shanghiest every now and then.

New news, new thread ;)

Never liked when something interesting doesn't get surfaced out of larger topics.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Who are Story Lab productions though? So the assumption now is that this is PD third person?
Motion Capture team that works with the Coalition, this states it is a new IP so not PD but Klobrilles original leak only stated they were helping with PD not developing it. Either way Coalition and Rod very busy.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Rod Ferguson is probably one for the most efficient produces out there, how they manage to release a remaster and a new gears game in less than two years was impeccable in this environment

ThatGuyJangle

Flashbulb Games
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Basically since the start of the year xbox ip news everywhere

We're finally starting to see the promises Spencer and the rest of the team have been making about having more first party content and more exclusives but also not talking about them until they're much closer to launch/less chance of being publicly cancelled which is never a good look for a platform holder. :)

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Phil did say they want to make their first party efforts more lean. So it looks like they revamped the TC and 343 went through some management changes. Also nice that they signed PG for a favor game. Also rare is supposedly huge. So it's possible they are working on a banjo remake or something.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Motion Capture team that works with the Coalition, this states it is a new IP so not PD but Klobrilles original leak only stated they were helping with PD not developing it. Either way Coalition and Rod very busy.

Perhaps it was easier, since that production house is so close to the studio (both in actor-rich Vancouver), for work to go through The Coalition for whatever project this is. Have the production take place there with other development handled by another studio.

Oct 26, 2017
Just going off what Rod Fergusson's posted over on Twitter over the past years about signing book and comic deals I'm sure they'll have something "Gears" related kicking around for a while even if the games go dark for a bit. A new IP from them would be exciting though; still wonder about Shanghiest every now and then.

New news, new thread ;)

Never liked when something interesting doesn't get surface out of larger topics.

It kinda makes sense:

New Coalition IP (based on that book) for 2018
Perfect Dark in 2019 (alongside Halo 6)
Gears 5 in 2020

Oh man I'm so happy TC is actually working on new things. We have been discussing this for a while now and the general expectation was that TC was only going to be making Gears games and 343 only Halo.

And now we're getting more and more info about an actual new IP, great news. If it's actually releasing this year that would be even better but that remains to be seen. We're looking at a potentially very promising E3. Hope it won't get leaked.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Rod Ferguson is probably one for the most efficient produces out there, how they manage to release a remaster and a new gears game in less than two years was impeccable in this environment
Once the first couple of chapters were out the way, I loved the Gears 4 campaign, it's just so much fun and the action never stops. I know many will criticise the shear linearity of it all, but that's what I love about it, in the same way I enjoyed DOOM so much this generation too. It's also a real showcase for the benefits of native 4K, with the most pristine IQ I've ever witnessed. It's amazing how you notice so many jaggies in other games once you go back to them after playing Gears 4 - it's a big step up over CB 4K.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pieces slowly coming together. Nice :)

Also read my original post carefully please. I never ever stated The Coalition is developing a new PD. They are probably helping on controls and stuff like that - experience they have from Gears obviously.

I don't know anything about that new IP thing of course as I don't know what exactly to search for.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they've started working on Project Shangheist again? They were already in pre-production before the rebrand.

Maybe they'll work on both IPs at the same time, like Naughty Dog with UC/TLOU?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Didn't Aaron Greenberg confirm months ago TC were working on a new IP?
I thought he said the opposite:
"It's an incredibly talented team up there," Greenberg said when he was asked about whether or not The Coalition was working on a new IP. "We pivoted that team to go focus on Gears, and brought Rod Ferguson in, co-creator of that franchise. [Gears 4 had an] incredible campaign, they did a great job with versus, great job with Horde mode. So that team is focused on the Gears franchise going forward."

https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-x-m...ons-new-ip-not-a-priority#001Z5OMZFrMhdys9.99

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at new IP from Coalition. I really wasn't expecting that. Very excited to see what they're working on, they are a very talented team with a great person at the helm.

We probably won't hear about this game for a while of course, but nice to see stuff is getting built up.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Guys. Whatever The Coalition is additionally working on ... They won't drop the franchise they acquired for $1,000,000,000. Gears 5 is as obvious as it could be.

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
What a ride. Comparing this to one year ago (Scalebound disaster) is quite telling.

I think MS should do a special event around the Sea of Thieves launch to try and showcase State of Decay and Crackdown again. Maybe update PUBG numbers and talk about any possible acquisitions or new projects like this one by TC (since it's a secret no more...).

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Coalition's new IP is Shangheist if PD does actually exist, especially if Coalition is helping on PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.