• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
What a ride. Comparing this to one year ago (Scalebound disaster) is quite telling.

I think MS should do a special event around the Sea of Thieves launch to try and showcase State of Decay and Crackdown again. Maybe update PUBG numbers and talk about any possible acquisitions or new projects like this one by TC (since it's a secret no more...).
They aren't gonna talk about any games in the distant future. You may get a teaser for some 2019 games at E3 but I don't expect to see or hear about most of this stuff for a while

Gears 5 will still probably be 2019 but the other game may be 2020.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we have:

- Forza Horizon 4: Located in Japan.
- Halo 6 probably being released in 2019. Something else for 2018. Spielberg's Halo TV show still in production.
- Playground Games working on a returning MS IP. AAA RPG, Unreal Engine, probably Fable.
- Electric Square working on a globally recognised MS IP. AAA, GaaS, Multiplayer-focused.
- Perfect Dark is coming back. The Coalition is a supporting studio.

someone is working on something with Mech's it makes me wonder if Microsoft wish they would have scooped up respawn before the deal with EA over Star Wars.

I just want to see another 3d Platformer, Killer Instinct and Recore 2, Phantom Dust, and a horror game and i'd be golden.

Oct 26, 2017
Motion Capture team that works with the Coalition, this states it is a new IP so not PD but Klobrilles original leak only stated they were helping with PD not developing it. Either way Coalition and Rod very busy.

Very very exciting. With Gears 4 TC proved to be very talented and a new IP from them is very promising. Just the fact alone that Xbox is finally getting actual new IP is damn good news.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
All this recent news leaves me curious to see what the rest of 2018 will look like from a first-party perspective, outside the titles we already know about.

Hopefully we get more between Aug-Dec than possibly Forza Horizon 4 or Ori 2.

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
They aren't gonna talk about any games in the distant future. You may get a teaser for some 2019 games at E3 but I don't expect to see or hear about most of this stuff for a while

Gears 5 will still probably be 2019 but the other game may be 2020.

Yeah I don't expect them to say anything about Fable or the other distant projects but since this is now out in the open maybe they could do an exception is all

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
All this recent news leaves me curious to see what the rest of 2018 will look like from a first-party perspective, outside the titles we already know about.

Shannon said her team was working on stuff for the end of this year and the first half of next, so I assume it will be her team filing out the calender until some of these are ready. Ori would be one of them.

Oct 27, 2017

I still think halo 6 or some halo game is coming this year aside from MCC fixes(which we were said to be the spring anyway)

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Shannon said her team was working on stuff for the end of this year and the first half of next, so I assume it will be her team filing out the calender until some of these are ready. Ori would be one of them.

I was gonna bring that up. If her statement is accurate, then we'll be getting Microsoft first/second party stuff peppered throughout the year and next year. Forza Horizon 4 this fall is an obvious bet.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
She overseas all 2nd party games, right? So another evidence of no a Halo 6 this year?
Yep, she's head of MS global publishing (SOD2,ORI,KI,etc) She was talking about her division, so we really still don't have an idea about Halo.
Thats just Electric Squares project and their studio logo.

Oct 27, 2017
We're finally starting to see the promises Spencer and the rest of the team have been making about having more first party content and more exclusives but also not talking about them until they're much closer to launch/less chance of being publicly cancelled which is never a good look for a platform holder. :)
Really exciting stuff, to say the least.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Also The Coalition might not be the main team working the new IP. They could be helping out.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Splash Damage has 19 open positions under project 'Gears of War franchise'. https://careers.splashdamage.com/
They were doing art for MP maps and matchmaking in Ultimate Edition and Gears 4
They have open positions for Art, Audio, Design, Production, Programming. My assumption is that they're working on a new gamemode alongside maps, similar to Raven Software making War mode for CoD: WWII.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's not obvious, not after this news. TC can't work on two AAA games at the same time.
I really didn't search for anything Gears, sorry. I feel like people are setting themselves for disappointment. There is the possibility they gave more responsibility to Splash Damage, allowing them to do something else besides that or whatever. The Coalition is Gears though. It's even in their name. I really hope that new IP speculation might be something.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have enough people for two team approach.
Well if they are 250+ and this new IP doesn't seem very far along they will expand over time, they are bigger than what ND was when they had two teams. They made Gears UE and Gears 4 in just over 2 years, and the team started of smaller than it ended. When we look at PlayStation's first party teams they have Bend with just over a hundred and Suckerpunch with a little bit more, it's not impossible or anything. It'll probably mean the next gears has a 4 year development cycle rather than 3 and they will probably use outsourcing. But I do wonder if Big Park was folded into the Coalition.

Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't search for anything Gears, sorry. I feel like people are setting themselves for disappointment. There is the possibility they gave more responsibility to Splash Damage, allowing them to do something else besides that or whatever. The Coalition is Gears though. It's even in their name. I really hope that new IP speculation might be something.

Well, if they were just doing Gears with The Coalition, literally stating "new IP" seems dangerously counterintuitive, considering how much fans have been clamoring for something new.

Oct 26, 2017

True. But that website clearly mentions a new IP by them. Unless the site is fake I would think it's definitely something. Time as always will tell I guess. I hope it definitely is happening because it's only a good thing if talented studios are allowed to take on other things as well.

Look at ND and GG, that is what Xbox definitely needs. Wouldn't mind a break from Gears at all for something new.

Well, if they were just doing Gears with The Coalition, literally stating "new IP" seems dangerously counterintuitive, considering how much fans have been clamoring for something new.

That and that Greenberg said TC was working on multiple things.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have enough people for two team approach.

With 250 people at Coalition plus the folks at Splash Damage who will no doubt assist with Gears, I don't see why not. The new IP is probably really early in development so perhaps they don't have a huge team on it right now. The company is also growing.

I don't see how you can definitively state that they do not have enough people for a two team approach. There are contractors in addition to the dev team at Coalition.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't have been back then. :(
tenor.gif

Wahts this about Coalition working with storylabs on a new IP?
StoryLabs is the team that handles mocap for the Coalition, they have listed that they are working with the Coalition on a "New IP."

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think Respawn is about the same size as The Coalition and they are working on Titanfall and the Star Wars game. It'd be possible for a team like TC to work on two projects or main develop one and help a developer with the second project.

Edit: Checked and they have 200+ employees (link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respawn_Entertainment)

Last edited:

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
With 250 people at Coalition plus the folks at Splash Damage who will no doubt assist with Gears, I don't see why not. The new IP is probably really early in development so perhaps they don't have a huge team on it right now. The company is also growing.

I don't see how you can definitively state that they do not have enough people for a two team approach. There are contractors in addition to the dev team at Coalition.

They stated a new IP but we don't know at what level. People are assuming AAA with no confirmation.

Could be a smaller project. Maybe a small scale story driven horror game?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Rod is a very efficient manager. I am sure they can be in 2 two teams working on different franchises. Especially if they are getting external help or even overseeing said game.

I think now would be a good time to bring back perfect dark. With a female lead Joanna can be a good mascot for MS alongside MC and Marcus.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How was that book for a rumored MS project called? I can't find the tweet from the author. Was it deleted? Had it "Dark" inside its name? Or a protagonist with that name?

Status
Not open for further replies.