• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Why do people use the word "allowed"? The studio is named 343. When you start there - you probably want to create Halo. You wouldn't work there otherwise. Working on such a huge and beloved franchise is an honor for many developers - not a forced pain.

But when you get to a point devs become bored and you get a talent exodus.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Does Mojang actually do stuff anymore? I thought Minecraft was mostly moved internally with help from SkyBox Labs.
Mojang are design/creative directors and still write a lot of the procedural generation and systems, they also handle Minecrafts art. They basically lead all the Minecraft teams, from MS studios UK, Minecraft team (seattle) and other port studios.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Mojang are design/creative directors and still write a lot of the procedural generation and systems, they also handle Minecrafts art. They basically lead all the Minecraft teams, from MS studios UK, Minecraft team (seattle) and other port studios.
They also made that Cobalt game that Microsoft was promoting at like Gamescom 2016 and they didn't seem very happy with the sales of that game.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
They also made that Cobalt game that Microsoft was promoting at like Gamescom 2016 and they didn't seem very happy with the sales of that game.
Oh MS didn't care about that, it was a indie team which had a member of Mojangs leadership team in it. So Mojang published it, Mojang have creative freedom to work on outside projects and do that sort of thing. It wasn't anything MS had any investment in, just a creative outlet for the devs.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
What if 343 made a better Destiny than Bungie? That'd be kind of wild, wouldn't it?
Well Destiny 1 got rebooted multiple times and Destiny 2 Development got scrapped and rebooted in 2016. Microsoft would not put up with that. Microsoft would give them 3-4 years to make the game and if halfway into development it had to be rebooted, Microsoft would just cancel it.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But when you get to a point devs become bored and you get a talent exodus.

But that happens with every studio whether all you do is make new IP's or work on the one franchise, every studio goes through churn and then you start employing a young talented staff and you start the cycle again.

I honestly can't wrap my head around this narrative that the staff at 343i and The Coalition don't want to make Halo and Gears, its baffling.

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017
I think it would be healthy for both 343i and Coalition to work on something other than Halo and Gears.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Then you don't have the quality of animators and artists required to bring Halo to life. The name 343i is so generic same with Coalition.
Hmm, I don't think that's how it works. A lot of people working in the industry just want to have good working conditions, good benefits and job security. Working for a studio like 343, under Microsoft Game Studios, is a safe bet for a lot of devs in the Seattle area I'm sure.

It's not always about the project in this industry.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But that happens with every studio whether all you do is make new IP's or work on the one franchise, every studio goes through churn and then you start employing a young talented staff and you start the cycle again.

I honestly can't wrap my head around this narrative that the staff at 343i and The Coalition don't want to make Halo and Gears, its baffling.

It seems they are.

Clear as day, new IP from TC. I' surprised as well.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt that devs have the power to determine the new IP that they will be working for, those must be most of the time an executive decisión.

In the case of the new IP for the coalition, I don't believe that they decided to work on a new and Microsoft just went along with it.

Oct 26, 2017
I am still hoping to see a third person or Halo RPG some day. I definitely think that could work!

Not sure why some still seem to think TC is not taking on a new IP, I mean the website sure says so. :)

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I doubt the studio gobo game is that big if its coming anytime soon... they basically just started april last year
Their partnership was announced in April 2017, you typically don't get partnership announcements the day that the contract is signed so we don't actually know that. It's not like they announced the partnership right after signing the contract.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am still hoping to see a third person or Halo RPG some day. I definitely think that could work!

Not sure why some still seem to think TC is not taking on a new IP, I mean the website sure says so. :)

I think that's a mistake, a pretty wild one but still a mistake. Some random middleware dev announces The Coalition are making a new IP and it's radio silence from MS? That's just too mental to be real lol.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Do you think we could see VR implementation for the X at some point? Or do you think we'd get that at or around Xbox V launch? If Scarlet isn't a console, that's my bet. I would hope they don't just release a new controller, as much as I love the Xbox One controller, it's had enough re-releases and variations.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think that's a mistake, a pretty wild one but still a mistake. Some random middleware dev announces The Coalition are making a new IP and it's radio silence from MS? That's just too mental to be real lol.

It's a motion cap studio which to me means they have been contracted to do mo cap.

I suppose it could be a typo. And they mean Gears 5?

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Hmm. Do you think we could see VR implementation for the X at some point? Or do you think we'd get that at or around Xbox V launch? If Scarlet isn't a console, that's my bet. I would hope they don't just release a new controller, as much as I love the Xbox One controller, it's had enough re-releases and variations.
Next Xbox I'm sure. Phil Spencer said he thinks VR belongs on consoles but not with wires, he wants to wait for the technology for wireless VR on console which is currently not possible according to him.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During Uncharted 3 and Last of Us they were two seperate teams, now with Uncharted 4, TLC and LOU2 they do one game at a time with a pre-pro team [1]. Coalition is bigger then ND was during the time they had two seperate teams, when you factor out ICE team from current ND it isn't that much bigger than the Coalition[2]. Thats also a rough 250+ and they are still hiring, a remaster is not made by 10-20 people it's still a drain on the team[3]. They still did Gears 4 and that remaster in just over 2 years, yes of course a new IP takes longer that doesn't mean they haven't had pre-pro for this game or that it is Shangheist (it also doesn't mean your getting it soon.) Like I said it appears it's early so they will expand over time, you don't grow a studio that quickly[4]. TC actually doesn't have much outsourcing for Gears 4 compared to most AAA games, Mainly Splash Damage who was focused on the multiplayer[5]. But I don't see how outsourcing for one project affects the others? Big parks 11-50 employees is not an insignifcant number, while Sucker Punch and Bend (cancelled project) take a long time to release games I pointed it out because you seem to be trying to say it's impossible[6]. Look at Respawn or Insomniac as an example of studios that can manage two or more teams.[7]

1) And then ND stopped this approach, why? Obviously because it wasn't working for them anymore (most likely because new gen meant a lot more people/resources needed to make 2 games simultaneously).
2) That was last gen, when you didn't need that much people to create an AAA game. Now Big AAA games needs a lot more people working on them.
3) Remaster is nowhere near "drain"ing as an AAA game.
4) The game is doing motion capture,so it's at full production stage, basically you need a whole team doing it.
5) Splash Damage is 300 people.
6) It's not possible, but it's highly unlikely. Bend and Sucker Punch are games mid-AAA level games and even then they take long to produce these games. This new IP is gonna won't mid AAA, it's gonna bigger (Think Halo/Gears big on term of budget) you don't make a small on that.
7) Insomniac has the whole team working on Spiderman, Respawn other game is not coming in this decade.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Yeah it's like saying staff at EA Vancouver don't want to make FIFA games or the staff at Polyphony don't want to make Gran Turismo games or the staff at Sony San Diego don't want to make MLB games etc

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Oct 27, 2017
Great job Noble, should help anyone coming into the thread. All the english seems fine, don't know if you missed the mech game and the Banjo _20A/ stuff.
EDIT: There is also that AR MMO but thats kinda unknown right now.

Weirdly he hasn't been active at all on twitter or anything.

Yah, I noticed that too...probably much more busy with the promotion and focusing on whatever it is their working on. But seriously...that store needs help.

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
cXApsis.png
From the Undead Labs instagram. Definitely seems like they're about to drop a lot of info soon :)

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
God can I just say how exciting it is that MS seem to be trying to actually make some waves.

Feels like ages since we got any real good news/rumours.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much confirms the new IP then lol

Really? I still don't think it was true and was just a miscommunication in regards to work they are actually doing with The Coalition.

This has been a crazy few days, there's been so much information swirling about that its hard to keep a track of it all. I just don't see TC doing a new IP and Gears 5.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that that thread about the "new IP" from Coalition only has a couple of posts.
Guess people like to complain more then having some intresting news.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting, and we know it's a recognized global ip.

I predicted Perfect Dark but if it's GAAS that makes me question.

But what if it's an episodic Perfect Dark game sort of like hitman.

GAAS means nothing. It's funny that predictions for all Microsoft games is GAAS as if it's telling us something. Almost every big game Microsoft has released has had some form of GAAS since Xbox Live was a thing. There was a small exception of time when they published RPGs. I don't expect any AAA game to not have some form of GAAS ever again.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Weird that that thread about the "new IP" from Coalition only has a couple of posts.
Guess people like to complain more then having some intresting news.

The majority of people who complain about lack of Xbox exclusives have no interest in playing Xbox exclusives even when they arise. I'd have thought that was obvious.

Oct 26, 2017

It's indeed odd, especially because it seems to be from 2017,but still. Remember.... MS with their new stance on the announcing stuff. ;)

Nah but I get what you mean, you'd think they would comment on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.