• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
1) And then ND stopped this approach, why? Obviously because it wasn't working for them anymore (most likely because new gen meant a lot more people/resources needed to make 2 games simultaneously).
2) That was last gen, when you didn't need that much people to create an AAA game. Now Big AAA games needs a lot more people working on them.
3) Remaster is nowhere near "drain"ing as an AAA game.
4) The game is doing motion capture,so it's at full production stage, basically you need a whole team doing it.
5) Splash Damage is 300 people.
6) It's not possible, but it's highly unlikely. Bend and Sucker Punch are games mid-AAA level games and even then they take long to produce these games. This new IP is gonna won't mid AAA, it's gonna bigger (Think Halo/Gears big on term of budget) you don't make a small on that.
7) Insomniac has the whole team working on Spiderman, Respawn other game is not coming in this decade.

I think we had a conversation before about what is considered AAA and we didn't agree at the end of that. Naughty Dog stopped having two teams not because of the number of people but because of studio management, Naughty Dog was 200 people at the end of Uncharted 4 (reboot 2+ years.) I didn't say a remaster is as draining as an AAA game, I said it's still "a drain on the team." They were developing them alongside each other, it's going to slow down development. StoryLab doesn't just handle mo-cap, they handle production as well. StoryLab has been working with the Coalition since Shangheist. 80 people from Splash Damage worked on Gears not 300, and not all full time. This is the first time I'm hearing mid AAA, AAA's base hasn't raised some massive amount were games like Days Gone and GOT are considered "mid AAA." You will find very few people who would agree with you on that, the problem with each generation moving the base up for AAA is the gap between A, AA & AAA no longer makes sense. It's why AAAA or AAA+ is a better term for games like Anthem or GTA5, because you run into an issue were a product can be entirely similar but have different budgets. Were the only difference is budget, an AAA is not just defined by budget which I know you disagree on but it's the widely excepted definition. It can be based on marketing cost, production levels, development costs, sales and high economic risk. Insomniac didn't have the whole team on Spiderman the whole time there was transition periods, the Coalition wouldn't have two static teams that makes no sense. Respawn will have released Titanfall 1, Titanfall 2, Star Wars... and Titanfall 3, with two teams. So my points about it being early in production, Gears 5 taking 4 years instead of 3, growing the team and them probably having had the project in Pre-pro all still stand.

Last edited:

Salty Hippo

Oct 25, 2017
We're finally starting to see the promises Spencer and the rest of the team have been making about having more first party content and more exclusives but also not talking about them until they're much closer to launch/less chance of being publicly cancelled which is never a good look for a platform holder. :)

No we're not. This is all nothing but speculation. Is it from a trustworthy source? Maybe. But so was Kampfeld when he "revealed" in morse code 3 years ago that Banjo-Threeie would be at E3.

Says a lot about how low the bar is for Xbox under Spencer when we start treating rumors and job openings as announcements.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Now, imagine some insider news/rumor stating that MS canceled new IP from Coaltition...
As someone who has made a lot of Microsoft related gaming threads (13 threads?), I can say this is the case. If you make a post about the future of Xbox, you get a thousand posts of "yeah Phil Spencer should put his money where his mouth is", if a game is delayed "wtf Xbox where are the games?", if a game is cancelled "RIP Microsoft can't manage anything" and if it's positive news, you have a few pages of positive comments mixed in with some drive-by posting of why Microsoft is leaving the console industry. It's expected at this point TBH.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No we're not. This is all nothing but speculation. Is it from a trustworthy source? Maybe. But so was Kampfeld when he "revealed" in morse code 3 years ago that Banjo-Threeie would be at E3.

Says a lot about how low the bar is for Xbox under Spencer when we start treating rumors and job openings as announcements.
LOL

ThatGuyJangle

Flashbulb Games
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

Okay. :)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that that thread about the "new IP" from Coalition only has a couple of posts.
Guess people like to complain more then having some intresting news.
Getting people to talk about the answers to the questions they had about Sea of Thieves was way harder than it had any right to be considering how often they'd raised those same questions in the form of objections over and over.

People like kvetching.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Getting people to talk about the answers to the questions they had about Sea of Thieves was way harder than it had any right to be considering how often they'd raised those same questions in the form of objections over and over.

People like kvetching.
I agree that Xbox exclusives aren't as high quality or polished/innovative as Sony or Nintendo (and I say this when Xbox is my preferred platform) but calling Sea of Thieves No Man's Sky when it's pretty clear what it is and drive-by posting like "Xbox is leaving the console business LOL" makes me think some people who claim Xbox needs games actually wants Xbox to fail sometimes.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Xbox exclusives aren't as high quality or polished/innovative as Sony or Nintendo (and I say this when Xbox is my preferred platform) but calling Sea of Thieves No Man's Sky when it's pretty clear what it is and drive-by posting like "Xbox is leaving the console business LOL" makes me think some people who claim Xbox needs games actually wants Xbox to fail sometimes.
Console Warz are a thing, man. No two ways about it.

It's important not to go too far down that rabbit hole, though. That way lies madness, and the DCEU fandom.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
The new Banjo project Klobrille found doesn't have to be a sequel or reboot either BTW. It could be like Banjo Anniversary HD Remastered, not Banjo-Threeie. Some people are assuming he means Banjo-Threeie but all he said was Banjo project.
I thought the _20A/ was a big clue that it's more likely to be a remaster than a new Banjo.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I thought the _20A/ was a big clue that it's more likely to be a remaster than a new Banjo.
It's a meme at this point.
*Project Spark reveal* "CONKER BAD FUR DAY 2"

*Rare Replay* "OMG BANJO 3 BEST E3 EVER WTF FUCK YOU MICROSOFT"

*Super Lucky's Tale* "HOLY SHIT CONKER WAIT WTF THATS NOT CONKER"

Bet on that happening this E3.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
It's a meme at this point.
*Project Spark reveal* "CONKER BAD FUR DAY 2"

*Rare Replay* "OMG BANJO 3 BEST E3 EVER WTF FUCK YOU MICROSOFT"

*Super Lucky's Tale* "HOLY SHIT CONKER WAIT WTF THATS NOT CONKER"

Bet on that happening this E3.
Best way to avoid that is to start the trailer of with the original N64 graphics then transition.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Best way to avoid that is to start the trailer of with the original N64 graphics then transition.
You think too highly of gamers because then this is what happens:
"Omg they're showing Banjo-Kazooie footage and then they'll show Banjo-Tooie and then Banjo-Threeie to show the history and now!"

Any way you do it, it starts out with hype and ends in disappointment

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
You think too highly of gamers because then this is what happens:
"Omg they're showing Banjo-Kazooie footage and then they'll show Banjo-Tooie and then Banjo-Threeie to show the history and now!"
HAHA Ok yeh maybe I am thinking too much of gamers, then have Gregg Mayles himself come out and say one word.. "Remaster." Then role trailer, if anyone still thinks that then Phil should just come out at the the end and shout "Banjo is dead."

OP
OP
Figments

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California

That happens for literally every rumor, leak, or baseless speculation under the sun. Pretending this is any different is disingenuous.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

Salty Hippo being Salty Hippo.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I said everything to the Banjo thing I could. I tried to be honest. I gave a huge disclaimer on it because I have doubts, too. Expecting Banjo-Threeie is wrong. It won't happen imho. And I never said that it will.

But so was Kampfeld when he "revealed" in morse code 3 years ago that Banjo-Threeie would be at E3.
He didn't. He said "B-K" afaik. Rare Replay at E3 happened. Technically he wasn't wrong with this one to be honest - whatever the sources were. That's the problem with these kind of rumors ... They often get forwarded with wrong info, resulting in wrong expectations.

Oct 26, 2017
The new Banjo project Klobrille found doesn't have to be a sequel or reboot either BTW. It could be like Banjo Anniversary HD Remastered, not Banjo-Threeie. Some people are assuming he means Banjo-Threeie but all he said was Banjo project.

At this point I'd rather have a BK remastered with awesome graphics than not a BK at all. Naturally I would want a brand new BK game though.

Pretty much confirms the new IP being made by Coalition

Fucking sick!!!!!

Hopefully it has SP or is solely SP for all I care but hopefully not MP only. Either way damn, goddamn good news.

Salty Hippo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was about Rare Replay?

He never said anything about a Rare collection and of course everyone assumed it would be a new game. My point is don't pretend we are "starting" to see any promises get fulfilled. We aren't seeing jack until we actually see it. Phil Spencer's promises with regards to their first-party focus go way back, like 5 years or more, and most of them are still unfulfilled. He has actually done the opposite of what he promised since, because scarcity is at an all time low for the brand. And sorry not sorry for not buying into his "we wanna be careful not to announce early" excuse. The competition announces early all the time and consistently deliver, so when you say you're scared of announcing early all you're really doing is attesting to your own incompetence and lack of commitment to get projects done. Get your shit together, stop interfering in the creative process, stop funding games under obscure studios with no track record, stop putting the same game under 4 different teams, and maybe then you don't have to be worried about "too early". Cuphead was announced "too early" and it ended up being one of the best selling and reviewed Xbox exclusives in recent memory. Only someone who constantly lacks the confidence in what they have greenlit like Phil Spencer care about "too early". The "press" and especially gamers don't give two shits.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Console Warz are a thing, man. No two ways about it.

It's important not to go too far down that rabbit hole, though. That way lies madness, and the DCEU fandom.
This. For sure there are fanboys out there who are literally wishing for Xbox and it's IPs to fail (I've run across some who admit as much on reddit) but the nature of concern trolling makes it hard to tell apart from people expressing their real disappointment.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this thread exploded!

So let me get this straight..
- 343 are not doing Halo 6 (at least for this year). The TV show is also well into production.
- Electric Square are working on a multiplayer centric game for MS, my guess is Phantom Dust. The remaster was a primer for this imo.
- Fable is in the works, most likely Playground Games have taken this job. Very, very exciting!
- The Coalition is working on a new IP with a mo-cap studio. My guess is it may have something to do with the short novel (by Mark Lawrence) Dark Tide. It fits the horror type theme TC seem to excel at. May even be an episodic thing for Game Pass?
- There may be a chance Banjo is in the pipeline. Unlikely (sorry Salty!) but who knows since Spencer got the promotion.
- Perfect Dark is apparently also in production with Coalition collaborating. This may be what the mo-cap website thing relates to?

Did I miss anything?

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know why anybody would think that those mo-cap guys taking down that page means that the new IP is confirmed. For me, it's the opposite, actually. It confirms that it was a mistake. :P

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil

- 343 are not doing Halo 6 (at least for this year). The TV show is also well into production.
- Electric Square are working on a multiplayer centric game for MS, my guess is Phantom Dust. The remaster was a primer for this imo.
- Fable is in the works, most likely Playground Games have taken this job. Very, very exciting!
- The Coalition is working on a new IP with a mo-cap studio. My guess is it may have something to do with the short novel (by Mark Lawrence) Dark Tide. It fits the horror type theme TC seem to excel at. May even be an episodic thing for Game Pass?
- There may be a chance Banjo is in the pipeline. Unlikely (sorry Salty!) but who knows since Spencer got the promotion.
- Perfect Dark is apparently also in production with Coalition collaborating. This may be what the mo-cap website thing relates to?

Did I miss anything?

The mech game

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Did I miss anything?
Also a Mech game
Forza Horizon 4 Japan

Oct 27, 2017

Did I miss anything?

Forza Horizon 4 in Japan. Phil likes mechs. Also, we're just theorizing that Halo 6 isn't hitting this year, that's not confirmed (unless I missed something big).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Oooh Electric Square on Phantom Dust? I hadn't considered that. I do hope a remake/sequel does get funded. It's such a brilliant game, and if done right could be Xbox's Demon's Souls/Bloodborne.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

There is a lot of stuff going on though. And it's not like one source is saying this. MS clearly have stuff on the go. And have the chequebook open for more.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just speculation, nothing really to say either way just are own interpretations.

I value a good framerate ;)

Okay good, I'm fairly confident Halo 6 is coming out this year given its been 3 years since Halo 5.

The radio silence is a result of new strategy by Microsoft to launch games in the same year they announce them.

Oct 26, 2017
Oooh Electric Square on Phantom Dust? I hadn't considered that. I do hope a remake/sequel does get funded. It's such a brilliant game, and if done right could be Xbox's Demon's Souls/Bloodborne.

I didn't play a lot of Phantom Dust but is that even remotely similar to the Souls games?

Wasn't it last year or the year before it that Spencer tweeted he liked Mech Assault a lot and basically said they could return to it someday?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While nothing is confirmed, I will say this is a very nice change from last year when the only news we had around this time was Scalebound being cancelled.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I didn't play a lot of Phantom Dust but is that even remotely similar to the Souls games?
Not really. The comparison was more about how unique the IP is, and how the core gameplay could attract a hardcore audience.

Honestly I would really be interested in seeing ENB and some of the less annoying Souls PVPers thoughts on Phantom Dust.

edit: and Miyazaki himself. I know he loves Hearthstone.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Okay good, I'm fairly confident Halo 6 is coming out this year given its been 3 years since Halo 5.

The radio silence is a result of new strategy by Microsoft to launch games in the same year they announce them.

I don't know:

Welcome back! To be frank (or Grim, really), I'm not sure if that's a welcome back to us, or you guys, but let's go with it either way. 2018 has arrived and with it, the promise of new fun times to be had and adventures to be embarked upon. No, not those adventures, but plenty of exciting ones regardless – some which might surprise you more than others.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/18-and-up
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/18-and-up
Makes it seem yes a Halo game will be released but not a mainline Halo game.

Status
Not open for further replies.