• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Exactly. Those 5 games alone are enough for me (especially since I'll probably only buy 3 at max. SoT, CD3, Ori2). The rest of the games I'll get from 3rd party.

The other Halo related game is probably what I alluded to earlier, a Windows Mixed Reality game (VR). The same goes for Forza as they alluded to new types of things this year as well. Those are probably PC focused experiences.
They already did a MR Halo game.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
It's not that i doubt Krobrille, but you shouldn't take what he found in the API so seriously. There could be outdated stuff, abandoned stuff, etc. You guys sure like to hype yourself up to disappointments. Its the same thing with the Coalition/New IP thing. I would bet it was a simple mistake. They don't have the manpower to do two games and they definitely won't abandon the Gears franchise.

The only thing that i'm believing right now is the Fable/Playground stuff cause a lot of people are reporting it.
Did you read the API leak he did in 2016? Only one thing didn't come true, every other of the (12?) bullet points did. They were all announcements at E3 2016, Gamescom 2016 or Gamescom 2017. The only thing that wasn't leaked from that was Ori, every other game reveal was leaked from that API.
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4luugg/e3_teaser_trailer_coming_online_later_today/

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Those 5 games alone are enough for me (especially since I'll probably only buy 3 at max. SoT, CD3, Ori2). The rest of the games I'll get from 3rd party.

The other Halo related game is probably what I alluded to earlier, a Windows Mixed Reality game (VR). The same goes for Forza as they alluded to new types of things this year as well. Those are probably PC focused experiences.
They just released a Halo MR experience and they have only just started work on a new full Halo MR experience, it's far to early to be this year (they only just started looking for a creative director.) I don't think the tease is a second game, it reads to me that no you won't play Halo 6 in 2018 but we will being showing the game at E3.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you read the API leak he did in 2016? Only one thing didn't come true, every other of the (12?) bullet points did. They were all announcements at E3 2016, Gamescom 2016 or Gamescom 2017. The only thing that wasn't leaked from that was Ori, every other game reveal was leaked from that API.
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4luugg/e3_teaser_trailer_coming_online_later_today/

Yes, like i said, i'm not doubting him. I'm pretty sure that what he saw is all true, but that doesn't mean that they will happen. I didn't actually read he talking about if it was recently uploaded stuff or old stuff.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Yes, like i said, i'm not doubting him. I'm pretty sure that what he saw is all true, but that doesn't mean that they will happen. I didn't actually read he talking about if it was recently uploaded stuff or old stuff.
The majority is true. I still think Banjo_20A (20th Anniversary) is true because I don't think that would get cancelled (Banjo released in June 1998), it doesn't require a lot of people to remaster a N64 game in HD graphics. They normally have a "ITS AVAILABLE TODAY" or "It's coming in the next two months" announcement and that would fit.

Oct 25, 2017
The majority is true. I still think Banjo_20A (20th Anniversary) is true because I don't think that would get cancelled (Banjo released in June 1998), it doesn't require a lot of people to remaster a N64 game in HD graphics. They normally have a "ITS AVAILABLE TODAY" or "It's coming in the next two months" announcement

Well, i really hope they are. I would love a Banjo remaster, but i also don't think it's actually happening. Neither a new Perfect Dark with help from the Coalition. Neither a new IP from the Coalition (although, to be fair, that wasn't actually said by him)

A new MechAssault is also completely absurd. Why would MS create something new with the franchise now that there's two to three games being developed in that universe? (BattleTech, MechWarrior Single-Player by Piranha Games and the MMO)

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Well, i really hope they are. I would love a Banjo remaster, but i also don't think it's actually happening. Neither a new Perfect Dark with help from the Coalition. Neither a new IP from the Coalition (although, to be fair, that wasn't actually said by him)

A new MechAssault is also completely absurd. Why would MS create something new with the franchise now that there's two to three games being developed in that universe? (BattleTech, MechWarrior Single-Player by Piranha Games and the MMO)
You didn't read the API leak correctly. It never said MechAssault. It said "a mech game" was being developed exclusively for Xbox One and Windows 10. Titanfall is a mech game and they already released that in 2013. It wouldn't be absurd at all. Everyone was like "MECHASSAULT REBOOT HYPE!" but that isn't what the leak said.

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't read the API leak correctly. It never said MechAssault. It said "a mech game" was being developed exclusively for Xbox One and Windows 10. Titanfall is a mech game and they already released that in 2013. It wouldn't be absurd at all. Everyone was like "MECHASSAULT REBOOT HYPE!" but that isn't what the leak said.

Oh. So it was TitanFall that mech thing? I thought it was recent, that's why i found it weird.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Oh. So it was TitanFall that mech thing? I thought it was recent, that's why i found it weird.
No, it's not Titanfall. He found a bunch of files named things like "mech" and "robot" and said "I'm pretty sure Phil likes mechs and a mech game is being developed."

My point wasn't that it was Titanfall, it was that they have already released a mech game so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

And yes, the tags are all recently updated.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not Titanfall. He found a bunch of files named things like "mech" and "robot" and said "I'm pretty sure Phil likes mechs and a mech game is being developed."

My point wasn't that it was Titanfall, it was that they have already released a mech game so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

And yes, the tags are all recently updated.

No, just a "Mech" thing and Klobrille is looking at recent. He can tell whats old and what isn't, it's how he determines what is close or not like the Crackdown arena beta etc.

I see. Well, i hope some of this stuff ends up happening. Won't set myself up for disappointment, tho :P

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
They already did a MR Halo game.

They just released a Halo MR experience and they have only just started work on a new full Halo MR experience, it's far to early to be this year (they only just started looking for a creative director.) I don't think the tease is a second game, it reads to me that no you won't play Halo 6 in 2018 but we will being showing the game at E3.

The api leak mentioned there being massive numbers of players in matches. I doubt that would be for MR.

I know that they have an MR experience. I know what the "leak" said, and I'm not going to go by what a "leak" said as it is not a confirming thing. I still believe it will be some MR stuff.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I see. Well, i hope some of this stuff ends up happening. Won't set myself up for disappointment, tho :P
The Fable leak is true 100% but it also didn't start dev until last year and it's expected to take 4-5 years to develop, so you won't see it until at least Gamescom 2019 or E3 2020. So just because you don't see it at E3 2018 doesn't mean it got cancelled or it isn't happening. Just wanted to stress that.

Microsoft has confidence in Playground Games because they have always been able to work on their budget and deliver projects on a deadline (without asking for more time and money, unlike Lionhead) and for that reason, it will happen. You just won't see it revealed for years.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean if Phil was serious about not wanting to announce things too early, we may have to wait longer than E3 to see what Phil put in the works recently in regards to investments and new games.
I enjoy this style of release, i think very few games should be advertised years out. yet sometimes I feel a simple 3 second teaser 2-3 years out might be pretty good, then you hear nothing on the title until the year of release

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I enjoy this style of release, i think very few games should be advertised years out. yet sometimes I feel a simple 3 second teaser 2-3 years out might be pretty good, then you hear nothing on the title until the year of release
This is complete opinion but I think Microsoft and Sony both have awful marketing strategies. I like Nintendo's balancing act, where some games will be announced months before releasing, some will be announced a year out but if it's a really big game that everyone has asked for for years (such as Metroid Prime 4), they just basically confirm "It's coming so stop asking for it, get hyped". And I wish Microsoft would do that for Perfect Dark and Fable this year, don't even show a CG trailer, just announce that two games you have all been asking for are "in development", say it won't be available for a few years to stop complaining about closing Lionhead and ruining Rare (but I know they won't)

Oct 27, 2017
The Fable leak is true 100% but it also didn't start dev until last year and it's expected to take 4-5 years to develop, so you won't see it until at least Gamescom 2019 or E3 2020. So just because you don't see it at E3 2018 doesn't mean it got cancelled or it isn't happening. Just wanted to stress that.

Microsoft has confidence in Playground Games because they have always been able to work on their budget and deliver projects on a deadline (without asking for more time and money, unlike Lionhead) and for that reason, it will happen. You just won't see it revealed for years.

I know Phil doesn't like revealing games more than a year out anymore (and I can't blame him, looking at Xbox over the past few years) but do you feel they might need to make an exception this year so they have some quality content to get people excited?

Oct 26, 2017
This is complete opinion but I think Microsoft and Sony both have awful marketing strategies. I like Nintendo's balancing act, where some games will be announced months before releasing, some will be announced a year out but if it's a really big game that everyone has asked for for years (such as Metroid Prime 4), they just basically confirm "It's coming so stop asking for it, get hyped". And I wish Microsoft would do that for Perfect Dark and Fable this year, don't even show a CG trailer, just announce that two games you have all been asking for are coming and to stop complaining about closing Lionhead and ruining Rare (but I know they won't)

ya but, sometimes I feel as though nintendo is competing in a different dimension, as sony and microsoft often compete against PC and each other sometimes. and nintendo's games are anchored right int he nostalgia and will always stand apart.

I understand keeping some games underwraps as to try not to show your hand years in advanced, then have others flood the market with that style game before release.
Fable fits into a weird bubble where its semi nostalgic, but borderline irrelevant to many. it's rebirth needs to be an onsaluaght of innovatitve story and gameplay approaches while the setting needs to be unique, yet because it doesnt truely stand apart like most nintendo games, it can be hindered by other companies releases.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I know Phil doesn't like revealing games more than a year out anymore (and I can't blame him, looking at Xbox over the past few years) but do you feel they might need to make an exception this year so they have some quality content to get people excited?
The only reason we saw an exception last year with Ori is because we literally knew everything else and they wanted ONE surprise.

This year we're going to have multiple surprises because they're likely going to have 6-7 exclusives and if there's Halo and Forza, those are only two games. If there's Ori, then that's releasing in early 2019 and then there's 3-4 surprise games releasing in early 2019-Spring 2019 (and again I would bet that at least one of those surprise 2019 games we don't know about are new IP)

It's also possible they show ONE Fall 2019-Early 2020 new IP just because people won't know what to expect from that IP and they may need two E3's to advertise it instead of one.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, like i said, i do believe in the Fable rumour. A LOT of things point to it being true, and a lot of different people have heard the same thing, even before this API leak.

The rest, though, i'll just take the wait and see approach.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Also, has anyone thought of the possibility that we see Halo 6 at E3 and it releases in Spring 2019 for the first time instead of October? Would be unprecedented but it's a normal 3 year development cycle, plus they get 6 months to polish up the game for quality purposes. So it's like KIND OF a delay, but it's not like they're using a full year to develop the game more, they're taking months to polish it up to be higher quality.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Also, has anyone thought of the possibility that we see Halo 6 at E3 and it releases in Spring 2019 for the first time instead of October? Would be unprecedented but it's a normal 3 year development cycle, plus they get 6 months to polish up the game for quality purposes. So it's like KIND OF a delay, but it's not like they're using a full year to develop the game more, they're taking months to polish it up to be higher quality.

If 343 had any sense they would bail from a Fall release date.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Hey guys about Fable. So there's this guy named Bastien Ramisse, Lead Character Artist at Playground Games (http://www.playground-games.com/team/bastien-ramisse/). On his LinkedIn activity feed, he liked an article from our french "sub-Era" (Gamekyo) called "Gobo Studio ne travaille pas sur Fable IV (Gobo Studio is not working on Fable IV). It might be nothing but the hype and interest around Microsoft licences since the API Paper is to good to not be fuelled.

If someone can make a cap here is the LinkedIn: https://fr.linkedin.com/in/bastien-ramisse-0b884b11

Oct 26, 2017

A spring release for Halo would be odd. As I am assume the New halo iteration bundled with systems sell like hotcakes. But, I think that could help it sell more; distancing it self from the yearly fps fest.

maybe have crackdown 3 come with halo 6 multi beta with halo launch 8 months after october?

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
If they are ramping up production of content, I would also like to see from MS more events, not just E3/Gamescom combo. Bring back X events. Now you have this console named X, connect dots MS :) They can even do them in Nintendo Direct form, stream that over Live and other gaming services. No need to announce much, just show new trailers and never before seen gameplay footage and I'll be happy with that. But it's MS, so yeah...

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I hope your gut is not right :)

It could be other things as well, as AR "experiences" through their "Surface Phone" device that's coming this year. There's a multitude of things that they can mean, but assuming that it's a new Halo game when Halo 6 is coming within the next year or so doesn't make sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
That's in line with what I'm think for Halo tbh.

Oct 27, 2017

It'd be unprecedented but who knows. Halo is one of the few IPs that still does well in the fall, if 343 markets it well and has taken their time with the campaign it could dominate Spring 2019.

The only thing is, that would mean the only major game they have for the second half of 2018 is Forza Horizon 4.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
If they are ramping up production of content, I would also like to see from MS more events, not just E3/Gamescom combo. Bring back X events. Now you have this console named X, connect dots MS :) They can even do them in Nintendo Direct form, stream that over Live and other gaming services. No need to announce much, just show new trailers and never before seen gameplay footage and I'll be happy with that. But it's MS, so yeah...
Stream it on Mixer...they still need more people using that service I believe.

Rychu said:

I've said that several times in this thread I believe. I still think it's going to happen that Halo 6 is going to be released in Spring of 2019. Competing with Anthem, a game that you are marketing for the same timeslot is not smart in my opinion.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
That really depends on the situation. If the game isn't ready to ship, there is no choice but to delay :)
This isn't really true though. ReCore was released with a lot of cut content, really long loading screens and frame rate problems, they took a year to make a Definitive Edition which had all the content they cut out of the game to release it. Microsoft may be more careful about releasing quality products now than they were in 2016, but it's still a true point.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
It could be other things as well, as AR "experiences" through their "Surface Phone" device that's coming this year. There's a multitude of things that they can mean, but assuming that it's a new Halo game when Halo 6 is coming within the next year or so doesn't make sense to me, but I could be wrong.

Surface Phone? Is that still supposed to be a thing? Have you gone off your rocker dude?

This isn't really true though. ReCore was released with a lot of cut content, really long loading screens and frame rate problems, they took a year to make a Definitive Edition which had all the content they cut out of the game to release it. Microsoft may be more careful about releasing quality products now than they were in 2016, but it's still a true point.

Halo is not Recore. MCC collection would have been a better example, but apparently those issues were unforeseen.

Oct 26, 2017
would love to see Age of Empires and other RTS's come to xbox, but with mandatory keyboard/mouse controlls.

would make micros presence at Gamescon pretty cool

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Surface Phone? Is that still supposed to be a thing? Have you gone off your rocker dude?

It won't be a "Phone" per se...it will be a foldable pocketable device that runs Microsoft' Andromeda platform (it's still Windows) and uses their Andromeda Shell, and it will run ARM processor and have telephony capabilities. There's plenty of patents on that information, and insider information on Andromeda OS/Shell itself. It will be more like a minitablet than a phone, but can fold so you can put it in your pocket. I don't think you saying if I'm going off of my rocker is a smart thing to say when I actually have information about the subject and you don't (I assume based off of your comment). :)

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
According to WindowsCentral (and other sources), Project OneCore (which is a project that will allow Microsoft to disable specific parts of Windows 10 for mobile devices) has been underway for over a year and will be finished in 2018.

Microsoft also has a Surface device in development called Project Andromeda which is a foldable Surface device that is a laptop, tablet and phone (it can make calls and text) all in one that runs full desktop Windows 10, not to mention Microsoft has been filing patents like crazy the past couple months for foldable mobile devices. And two weeks ago, on the Microsoft Store, there was a new mobile device (a bunch of ID numbers) that appeared under "Devices this app plays on" and that ID number was linked to Andromeda.

According to sources, it will be revealed this Fall and release in Spring 2019.
That's off topic but I was explaining why it is a thing.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
It won't be a "Phone" per se...it will be a foldable pocketable device that runs Microsoft' Andromeda platform (it's still Windows) and uses their Andromeda Shell, and it will run ARM processor and have telephony capabilities. There's plenty of patents on that information, and insider information on Andromeda OS/Shell itself. It will be more like a minitablet than a phone, but can fold so you can put it in your pocket. I don't think you saying if I'm going off of my rocker is a smart thing to say when I actually have information about the subject and you don't (I assume based off of your comment). :)
You beat me.

Oct 26, 2017
surface courier!!
ya, as a sad windows phone user I pay attention to it, and patents and random new info about it pops up every 8-10 weeks. Seems like a premium device targeted towards business people if it ever hits market.

which i would buy in an instant, knowing how much more the price tag will be.

But I was thinking about how that device paired with the xbox stream technology might handle and thought it might be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Project Andromeda has really piqued my interest over the last few weeks! Hopefully Microsoft can come back swinging into the consumer market again (even if I had to guess that "8828080" is a business oriented device like zedox says).

For actual races, I agree. Horizon 1 was the best when it came to that. When 2 came out and eventually 3, I didn't enjoy the races as much anymore since it was pretty much a free for all in the open. I felt the races in Horizon 1 were a lot more structured and better put together.

Horizon 1 also had the best expansion - Rally. Please bring it back!
Mhm, loved the intensity of Horizon 1's races compared to the sequels. I feel the open-world really took a lot of that excitement away, at least for me.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
It's more like a 3-in-1 (tablet, phone and laptop) all in one. It's a phone because it can make calls, text, SMS, contacts, App Store, but it's a tablet because it can fold into a bigger screen, it's a laptop because it runs full desktop Windows 10 and has capabilities of a laptop (which by the way will dramatically solve the Windows Phone problem of not having any apps)

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
caSaezA.png

From Brasil ESRB.

huh, cant find this anymore. That usually doesnt happen

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Hey guys about Fable. So there's this guy named Bastien Ramisse, Lead Character Artist at Playground Games (http://www.playground-games.com/team/bastien-ramisse/). On his LinkedIn activity feed, he liked an article from our french "sub-Era" (Gamekyo) called "Gobo Studio ne travaille pas sur Fable IV (Gobo Studio is not working on Fable IV). It might be nothing but the hype and interest around Microsoft licences since the API Paper is to good to not be fuelled.

If someone can make a cap here is the LinkedIn: https://fr.linkedin.com/in/bastien-ramisse-0b884b11

pDlVr9c.jpg

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's more like a 3-in-1 (tablet, phone and laptop) all in one. It's a phone because it can make calls, text, SMS, contacts, App Store, but it's a tablet because it can fold into a bigger screen, it's a laptop because it runs full desktop Windows 10 and has capabilities of a laptop (which by the way will dramatically solve the Windows Phone problem of not having any apps)

Don't forget PC as well...Continuum with miracast. ;)

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

lol, I'm just fuckin with ya. I haven't been following their mobile news since they dumped their phone efforts. Does this thing run Android apps? If not, does it only run Windows Store apps? If No to the first, and Yes to the second, they have a rough road ahead. I say that as someone who bought a 1020 and 950 on their respective releases.

According to WindowsCentral (and other sources), Project OneCore (which is a project that will allow Microsoft to disable specific parts of Windows 10 for mobile devices) has been underway for over a year and will be finished in 2018.

Microsoft also has a Surface device in development called Project Andromeda which is a foldable Surface device that is a laptop, tablet and phone (it can make calls and text) all in one that runs full desktop Windows 10, not to mention Microsoft has been filing patents like crazy the past couple months for foldable mobile devices. And two weeks ago, on the Microsoft Store, there was a new mobile device (a bunch of ID numbers) that appeared under "Devices this app plays on" and that ID number was linked to Andromeda.

According to sources, it will be revealed this Fall and release in Spring 2019.
That's off topic but I was explaining why it is a thing.

Thanks for the info. Bold strategy to dip their toe into the telephony market again.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017

Is there much we can speculate here? At the very least it means people at playground are reading the rumors.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
lol, I'm just fuckin with ya. I haven't been following their mobile news since they dumped their phone efforts. Does this thing run Android apps? If not, does it only run Windows Store apps? If No to the first, and Yes to the second, they have a rough road ahead. I say that as someone who bought a 1020 and 950 on their respective releases.

Thanks for the info. Bold strategy to dip their toe into the telephony market again.
It runs Windows Store apps and full desktop .exe apps downloaded via Microsoft Edge browser (such as Office 365 and Visual Studio, etc) as I said, it's not completely a phone. It's a basically a PC with phone capabilities or a phone that runs full desktop Windows 10 (which is Microsoft's solution to Windows Phone having no apps) I've also heard that accessories such as the Xbox One Bluetooth controller will be supported on it (which is actually relevant to this topic)

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

:). Yes, it will run Microsoft Store apps...but MS is trying to go the Google route with PWA (progressive web apps) and put those into the store. You should look up info on that. Basically make webapps behave like native ones (and have offline ability). Most sites have web apps for their "apps" and port them to ios and android...PWA can make them easily native to a platform that supports them. I'm rocking a 950 right now since launch...patiently waiting for the "Surface Phone" later this year (and damn am I patient...lol).

The strategy is more than just making a phone...it's having devices, even a laptop, than can use the LTE part of the Qualcomm chip to do whatever the user desires. It will be a device that doesn't have to replace your phone, but it can. Knowing that it is a Surface device makes me know that it will be a beautiful device.

Status
Not open for further replies.