• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly feel its a crime how they've handled the Perfect Dark series. I guess i'm one of the few that actually loved PD0 and was one of my most played games on the 360 with its enjoyable multiplayer and had a blast playing through the co-op with a buddy of mine. I thought it sold decently as a launch title despite its criticism. The HD remake of the original was alright but aged horribly gameplay wise making the game completely unplayable for me. I still think MS should give the IP another go as a full on AAA cyber punk 3rd person espionage/stealth game

Definitely. Perfect Dark is an IP that is ripe for a genre switch. It's got potential to be story-driven title but set in a world that can't be taken entirely serious. It could be fantastic.

Of course you'd really need a team like Remedy to make that and MS let them go. Maybe Insomniac?

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
After seeing all this freshness from the PGW announcements I'd love to see Microsoft go that route (I still don't have a PS4 console btw) but it needs time, experienced studios not tied with big franchises and a solid position on the market. The post One S and One X Microsoft is gonna be interesting.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Phil say the signed 2-3 new games back around E3 but were too early to show there?
Phil also said Microsoft was investing in 5 brand new studios this generation, then sold Twisted Pixel back, closed Lionhead and Press Play.
Phil also said he's not a fan of mid-generation upgrades, then announced Project Scorpio.
Phil says a lot of things.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Give them a week to get through shipping X, and they'll be more inclined to focus on other things. It's absolute crunch-time-hell there right now.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think we will see Banjo again eventually. I think under the new GAAS approach they could actually make a new game and build it into a successful project.

My theory is that MS will bring back another UP for the next gen. Killer Instinct was this gen reboot etc.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i just don't understand MS plan. they built the most powerful console to win ppl over on third parties? that's a battle you fight in the first 2 years of a generation, not 4 years in. Ppl want reasons to invest in xbox and they just aren't giving them many

Theres many reasons why people invest in Xbox. It's just the type of games that are most popular on here, single player games, namely, are not the direction Xbox is heading in.

OP
OP
Figments

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
The PS and Xbox fanbase more then ever are going in opposite directions. Both are completely different. I see people discussing things like story or actors and actresses in threads for Sony games and I'm like that's not for me.

Yeah, this. I said this on the old forum, and I'm gonna say it again here.

Xbox is moving in a direction that is not suited to the tastes of this board whatsoever. It's a direction I'd be completely fine with, if they spent more resources going for more unique multiplayer games in the vein of, say, Splatoon. Which they seem to be doing for the most part, looking at Sea of Thieves and Crackdown's multiplayer.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
and what would you say are those many reasons?

Let's be honest, people buy Xbox for Halo, Forza, Gears and they developed friendships with people over Xbox Live playing games online that they dont want to leave.

As far as GaaS goes those games really wont start hitting the console until PUBG drops and Sea of Thieves I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of the reasons the base is the base. Out of the top 50 most played games only a handful are pure single player games. It's playing to the strengths. The X Is for existing owners that want to stay within the ecosystem and play their games in better definition frame rates etc. it's not to win any war or anything. The games they are investing now are what resonates with the audience. People don't mind paying $20 for a well produced SP indie type game(Ori, Cuphead) but a full price $60 game like that is a riskier venture for Microsoft . Stuff like PUBG, Sea of thieves, State of decay now with Co-op are targeting the strengths of the brand

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Where does the notion that Xbox gamers only care about multiplayer games/GaaS come from? Do games like the Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Origins, Middle-Earth, Dark Souls 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Resident Evil 7, etc. not sell well on Xbox? Besides certain niche Japanese titles I think we're not giving enough credit to that player base. Most people buy one console over the other because that brand just means "video games" to them. I'd be shocked if games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, The Last of Us, etc. wouldn't sell very well on Xbox's player base.

Microsoft first party isn't investing in large single player games because frankly, they just aren't very good at it.

IplayGames4Fun

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i just don't understand MS plan. they built the most powerful console to win ppl over on third parties? that's a battle you fight in the first 2 years of a generation, not 4 years in. Ppl want reasons to invest in xbox and they just aren't giving them many
As an owner of every XB and PS system ever (and every nintendo up to the Wii U) I never understood this type of comment. I think people are shortsighted for their own agenda or preference. There are plenty of reasons to own any console out there. People have different preferences and different likes.

For me personally i do game more on my xbox then on my PS4. I had both at launch. I didn't get a pro bu i did pre-order a scorpio. I've more and more in the past 15+ years have become an online player. I prefer MP games to SP games by far. Not saying i can't or don't enjoy SP games. I've beaten the order, ROTR, wolfenstien, quantum break, ryse, horizon zero dawn, shadow of mordor off the top of my head this gen. and i'm playing south park currently. But still 90% of my time is spent in PVP and Co-op online games like destiny 1 and 2, halo MCC and 5, gears4, titanfall 1, overwatch for a few examples. To me MS does a much better job online. their games have servers and much less lag BS then P2P games (which all sony's are) and I think they make more and better online games then sony. Their online is better and more stable. their party system is better. it's easier to block and report people. It's just an overall better experience. If you like JRPG games and SP story driven games then yeah sony is the better way to go for that. it's what they focus on. But if you like online games MS does a better job. Funny how preferences work.

Even more funny if i look at the top 10 selling games on PS4 90% are on xbox as well (UC4 is the only one not). 90% have MP in them (Fallout 4 is the only one not). 40% are EA games, 30% activision, 10% sony, 20% other (rockstar and bethesda) So it would be pretty safe to say that SP games and niche games aren't making much of a difference at all. the vocal minority on the internet would lead you to believe this is true but the numbers show the majority just want to play games online and play CoD, Battlefield, Battlefront, Destiny, GTA, FIFA etc. games on every system. If i take the top 10 on X1X it's practically the same list except they have halo 5 instead of UC4 and they have minecraft as well. it's not much different at all.

So you'd think what pushes sales actually to the masses?

1) price point - price will always be a huge factor in buying decisions

2) Power - people do care about this. always have. ever since the 8 bit vs 16 bit days lol

3) brand loyalty - some people will always be loyal to a brand and nothing is wrong with that either

4) play where my friends are. nowadays with online so popular, people will most likely buy the same console as their friends to play together with them

So whether it be PS or XB at the end of the day most people are just playing the same games online with each other, but of course the .00001% of gamers who are actually on forums won't reflect this

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of the reasons the base is the base. Out of the top 50 most played games only a handful are pure single player games. It's playing to the strengths. The X Is for existing owners that want to stay within the ecosystem and play their games in better definition frame rates etc. it's not to win any war or anything. The games they are investing now are what resonates with the audience. People don't mind paying $20 for a well produced SP indie type game(Ori, Cuphead) but a full price $60 game like that is a riskier venture for Microsoft . Stuff like PUBG, Sea of thieves, State of decay now with Co-op are targeting the strengths of the brand

Isn't this the case for all platforms?

Oct 27, 2017
Where does the notion that Xbox gamers only care about multiplayer games/GaaS come from? Do games like the Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Origins, Middle-Earth, Dark Souls 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Resident Evil 7, etc. not sell well on Xbox? Besides certain niche Japanese titles I think we're not giving enough credit to that player base. Most people buy one console over the other because that brand just means "video games" to them. I'd be shocked if games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, The Last of Us, etc. wouldn't sell very well on Xbox's player base.

Microsoft first party isn't investing in large single player games because frankly, they just aren't very good at it.
I wouldn't say it's only MP games. Well established singleplayer player AAA games have their place. Your skyrim, fallouts Assassins creeds etc. those have had a decade + of building their name. And even then, there still tons more MP games that are more played. Look at the top 50 most played charts. You have skyrim, Fallout, Assassins creed and shadow of war are the only mainly SP games there. The other 45-6 games are a combo or SP-MP or games heavily leaning towards MP

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say it's only MP games. Well established singleplayer player AAA games have their place. Your skyrim, fallouts Assassins creeds etc. those have had a decade + of building their name. And even then, there still tons more MP games that are more played. Look at the top 50 most played charts. You have skyrim, Fallout, Assassins creed and shadow of war are the only mainly SP games there. The other 45-6 games are a combo or SP-MP or games heavily leaning towards MP

Like I said in my response to your original post, that's the case for pretty much all platforms. This isn't an Xbox issue, that's just video games. I think we're going about this the wrong way. We need to question the quality of the games Microsoft actually makes, how they can improve, etc.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

For me I'd say better controller, better online service. (I have Live and PSN) and it's very clear what is better for me.

Worst looking multiplats on the Xbox side (well unless your getting an X1X next week) I prefer to play third party games on my Xbox. I can't play on a PS4 controller unless their exclusives and built around the controller. PS4 controllers play too loose. Which works with their exclusives but is off key for multiplats.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Xbox Live basically. For multiplayer the two still are synonymous.

Reliable servers. AZURE.

Focus onmultiplayer and community with thier exclusives

3 reasons, 2 which are basically the same, are your many?
XBL is better than PSN, the infrastructure gap there probably wont ever be closed. But choosing MP is a weird choice considering that's not absent in any form on the other side.
As for community i'll assume you mean what their trying to build with SoT?

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 reasons, 2 which are basically the same, are your many?
XBL is better than PSN, the infrastructure gap there probably wont ever be closed. But choosing MP is a weird choice considering that's not absent in any form on the other side.
As for community i'll assume you mean what their trying to build with SoT?

I believe he means the community around the multiplayer games. Halo, Gears, and KI all have pretty sizeable and good community's to play with. Even years after people still play those games alot. Hell even stuff like Phantom Dust has a dedicated community

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

a much better answer. i dont agree that they released the X just for existing owners, based on their marketing & that scorpio leak. im not expecting them to make a bunch of $60 SP games all of a sudden, that's unrealistic. I was just wondering what their overall direction was. But ppl are definitely asking for more. To say that is targeting the strength of the brand is eh, they dont have much choice outside of their big 3 franchises. that's all they are offering them.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
im talking about the direction the are taking the console, not reasons people pick xbox over ps4 or vice versa?
Best version of multiplats enabled by the new console
Ensurance that games you buy now, bought in the past, and buy in the future will all work (back compat, forwArd compat)
Knowing MS usually brings Quality updates to the console functionality over its life (Arena, Clubs, Hubs, Looking for Group have all been added that improve console use)
Subscriptions for collections of games that might interest you (EA Access, Game Pass)
Ensuring you can play games they and partners develop in your Xbox and PC with one copy (Play Anywhere)
Knowing multiplayer games you have have the potential of being played with friends on other consoles and PC

Those all seem like pretty decent reasons to own the console and continue to use it

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One reason why I like the xbox brand currently is it feels like the platform is far more future proofed than the PS4 is currently. Microsoft is putting in the work to emulate and even improve OG xbox and 360 games. That coupled with Play anywhere and X enhancments makes me feel more confident of having xbox as my main platform going forward. It feels like they're taking a PC approach and the new system would inhert all this goodness, while the PS5 feels like it will be a fresh start once again for the ecosystem.

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ensurance that games you buy now, bought in the past, and buy in the future will all work (back compat, forwArd compat)
Knowing MS usually brings Quality updates to the console functionality over its life (Arena, Clubs, Hubs, Looking for Group have all been added that improve console use)
Subscriptions for collections of games that might interest you (EA Access, Game Pass)
Ensuring you can play games they and partners develop in your Xbox and PC with one copy (Play Anywhere)
Knowing multiplayer games you have have the potential of being played with friends on other consoles and PC

Those all seem like pretty decent reasons to own the console and continue to use it

Pretty much.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Theres many reasons why people invest in Xbox. It's just the type of games that are most popular on here, single player games, namely, are not the direction Xbox is heading in.

That makes sense. But I don't think it's a good idea to focus on (AAA) GaaS only. Most 3rd party publishers are doing this already, and platform exclusive games will always have a hard time competing against popular multiplatform games like Destiny and CoD. This could mean that Sony still has the most popular GaaS games on their platform, in addition to their unique library of AAA singe player games. This could be a selling point for lots of people, even if they play GaaS games most of the time.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

touche. many reasons indeed

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
That makes sense. But I don't think it's a good idea to focus on (AAA) GaaS only. Most 3rd party publishers are doing this already, and platform exclusive games will always have a hard time competing against popular multiplatform games like Destiny and CoD. This could mean that Sony still has the most popular GaaS games on their platform, in addition to their unique library of AAA singe player games. This could be a selling point for lots of people, even if they play GaaS games most of the time.

in terms of their game IP building, this

Oct 28, 2017
One reason why I like the xbox brand currently is it feels like the platform is far more future proofed than the PS4 is currently. Microsoft is putting in the work to emulate and even improve OG xbox and 360 games. That coupled with Play anywhere and X enhancments makes me feel more confident of having xbox as my main platform going forward. It feels like they're taking a PC approach and the new system would inhert all this goodness, while the PS5 feels like it will be a fresh start once again for the ecosystem.

I definitely agree that MS will do it better, but there's not way the PS5 will not play PS4 games. It would be so stupid. That's going to 100% be a requirement. MS would annihilate Sony next gen if it wasn't that way. Forward compatibility is expected in this day and age.

I do think MS is shooting for the younger crowd. SP games appeal to adults who don't have time to work around friends' schedules (if they even have any friends that play). That's Sony's bag. MS tried to pierce it and it just didn't work. The Xbox audience doesn't really buy those games. Quantum Break bombed on Xbox and would likely have dominated on the PS4 as it was a great game right in line with something like Uncharted 4. MS sees that so they're not going to continue investing in those types of games. Instead, they're shooting for online, social games and that's where the younger generation lies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
MS's work on BC is great, no doubt about that, but count on your PS4 games working on the PS5 (and being improved).

But yeah..really enough good things can't be said about MS's work to bring 360 and OG XB games to the One.

Oct 27, 2017
Your assuming though that the 3rd party game is automatically gonna trump your first party game. Games like Ghost recon Titanfall or for Honor came, sold a bunch and then dropped off the charts while Halo Forza Horizon and gears essentially stayed the course for most of 2017 and maintained the base

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Thats how xbox started though. Big story focused games were the most popular.
You can't just ignore the past or you will lose all your supporters who are the biggest day one buyers

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Your assuming though that the 3rd party game is automatically gonna trump your first party game. Games like Ghost recon Titanfall or for Honor came, sold a bunch and then dropped off the charts while Halo Forza Horizon and gears essentially stayed the course for most of 2017 and maintained the base

I guess that's because those games are in almost every Xbox bundle. I don't think any of these games has a community as strong as in multiplats like R6 Siege, Overwatch or Destiny. It's hard to tell without actual numbers of course.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
MS's work on BC is great, no doubt about that, but count on your PS4 games working on the PS5 (and being improved).

Do you think they'll be improved out of the box?

Because I think that if not, the respective PS5 / XBOX 4 upgrade patches may not be for free this time around, as they basically replace all those "remastered" editions which characterized the first years of the current generation.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any confirmed insiders around this thread? I just can't wait until June 2018.

I need to know if MS is developing any other blockbuster IP besides Halo-Gears-Forza (and all the stuff we already know).

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there any confirmed insiders around this thread? I just can't wait until June 2018.

I need to know if MS is developing any other blockbuster IP besides Halo-Gears-Forza (and all the stuff we already know).

I'd like to know this as well. NeoGAF in its late era was devoid of insiders, the few that stayed came off as BS.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Great Post, these are my thoughts on this exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.