• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
So, been really busy but just want to sum up the recent/most likely rumors:

1.) PD being worked on by 3rd party studio in collab w/ The Coalition (Who is NOT making a new IP as per recent MS PR statements).
2.) Electric Square new IP
3.) Mech game (possibly ES^ new IP).
4.) Banjo 20A - likely a remaster
5.) Possible Halo side project by 343, Halo 6 possibly in 2019
6.) Fable being made/rebooted by PG studios new team (hype!)
7.) FH4 set in Japan
?.) Job listings for Armature UE4 project/strong evidence Recore is still a valuable IP to MS. Could be Recore 2.

Missed anything?

Personally having possibly 2 ARPG's in the works is exactly what MS needs to round out their shooter-heavy lineup. Recore 2 would be fantastic, similar to how Uncharted 2 was such a step up to Uncharted in every way.

If only Sunset OD 2 would happen...

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
If there really is a Banjo remaster in the works, I wouldn't be surprised if Rare's other team that isn't working on Sea of Thieves has been making it this whole time. As cool as a remaster would be, it would be so disappointing to find out they've been working on a remaster this whole time lol.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you can be a fan of third person shooters on the level of Max Payne 3 or MGSV and then say Quantum Break was anything besides mediocre from a combat perspective.

To see Remedy take that long to make this game only for it release with that as it's moment to moment gameplay is still one of the biggest disappointments of this generation for myself. Enemies lacked decent feedback from getting shot and could be very spongey, bullets lacked impact and were just not particularly satisfying, the gunplay itself was not even close to the precision we have seen from Remedy's own Max Payne 1/2, and if it wasn't for the powers, id consider the game to be a failure on every level not including the story. The powers themselves are interesting and fun to watch, but don't have a lot of depth to them, especially not enough to make up for the lackluster gunplay.

TPS's are my favorite broad genre of games, and Remedy was always someone to be excited for in that field. With QB, I realized the wait really wasn't worth it, so it didn't surprise me when MS didn't get them back for another game. All that money and time for what was an average experience at best.

Still, id like to see a conclusion to Alan Wake at some point..

Meh. My favorite TPS is Max Payne 3 and I still loved Quantum Break. I just enjoyed it for what it was. I enjoyed the story and the surroundings of the game as you progress through it.

Yes, the game took way too long to come out (it was changed halfway with Hollywood actors etc) but it wasn't the worst TPS by a long shot.

Ironically, I hated MGS5 while I enjoy Quantum Break ;)

But that's the thing with MS. They like to cancel or just move from non- succesfull IPS. Sunset, Alan Wake, Quantum, etc etc.

In order for IPS to become relevant, you must allow them to breath. Invest in sequel but change the things that didn't work. A Quantum Break 2 or even Alan Wake 2 could have been very successful. On the other hand, Sony at least keep trying with some of their IPS with sequels. Imagine If Uncharted 2 would have never come out?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If there really is a Banjo remaster in the works, I wouldn't be surprised if Rare's other team that isn't working on Sea of Thieves has been making it this whole time. As cool as a remaster would be, it would be so disappointing to find out they've been working on a remaster this whole time lol.
Fact: Rare had two teams until the release of Rare Replay.

Possibility 1: that second team has since then worked on a new game. I still believe it was (maybe still is?) Battletoads. As per 2016 API findings I'm 100% sure a Battletoads game existed or still exists.
Possibility 2: the second team merged to one huge Sea of Thieves team since they saw the initial very positive feedback from alpha testers - going all-in with Sea of Thieves.

Please don't expect too much from the Banjo ID I found. I don't have much confidence in this one. I tried to be honest and don't want to disappoint anyone. This could be anything - maybe even just a character cameo. I guess they have something for the 20th Anniversary. But I doubt it's what most of you guys actually want.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
So, been really busy but just want to sum up the recent/most likely rumors:

1.) PD being worked on by 3rd party studio in collab w/ The Coalition (Who is NOT making a new IP as per recent MS PR statements).
2.) Electric Square new IP
3.) Mech game (possibly ES^ new IP).
4.) Banjo 20A - likely a remaster
5.) Possible Halo side project by 343, Halo 6 possibly in 2019
6.) Fable being made/rebooted by PG studios new team (hype!)
?.) Job listings for Armature UE4 project/strong evidence Recore is still a valuable IP to MS. Could be Recore 2.

Missed anything?

Personally having possibly 2 ARPG's in the works is exactly what MS needs to round out their shooter-heavy lineup. Recore 2 would be fantastic, similar to how Uncharted 2 was such a step up to Uncharted in every way.

If only Sunset OD 2 would happen...
FH4 Japan and thats everything.

Probably would be the Rare Replay team then.

Possibility 1: that second team has since then worked on a new game. I still believe it was (maybe still is?) Battletoads. As per 2016 API findings I'm 100% sure a Battletoads game existed or still exists.
Possibility 2: the second team merged to one huge Sea of Thieves team since they saw the initial very positive feedback from alpha testers - going all-in with Sea of Thieves.

Please don't expect too much from the Banjo ID I found. I tried to be honest and don't want to disappoint anyone. This could be anything - maybe even just a character cameo.
150 people are working on SOT, so not the full studio.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but a couple more levels in leiu of those episodes would have been preferable. The shooting in QB is vastly underrated.

I'm just not so sure mixing those episodes would have equated to more levels. Because for that they probably would have needed more devs, and narrative reasons for those levels to exist.

You're damn right about the shooting. So good.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Meh. My favorite TPS is Max Payne 3 and I still loved Quantum Break. I just enjoyed it for what it was. I enjoyed the story and the surroundings of the game as you progress through it.

Yes, the game took way too long to come out (it was changed halfway with Hollywood actors etc) but it wasn't the worst TPS by a long shot.

That's kind of the problem though.

All that time and money and they deliver a TPS that's not the worst ever, but it also isn't anywhere close to the top.

It's great the story and surrounding environment kept you engaged but I'm someone who values gameplay over anything else, and QB not only doesn't reach the heights of some last gen TPS's from a gameplay perspective, it doesn't even reach the heights of Remedy's own previous titles.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But that's the thing with MS. They like to cancel or just move from non- succesfull IPS. Sunset, Alan Wake, Quantum, etc etc.

In order for IPS to become relevant, you must allow them to breath. Invest in sequel but change the things that didn't work. A Quantum Break 2 or even Alan Wake 2 could have been very successful. On the other hand, Sony at least keep trying with some of their IPS with sequels. Imagine If Uncharted 2 would have never come out?
Agreed, Microsoft should've stuck with Alan Wake and allowed Remedy to make as many sequels until they had no more stories to tell. Having a critically acclaimed Triple AAA TPS survival horror game definiely diversified Xbox's first party lineup.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how you can be a fan of third person shooters on the level of Max Payne 3 or MGSV and then say Quantum Break was anything besides mediocre from a combat perspective.

To see Remedy take that long to make this game only for it release with that as it's moment to moment gameplay is still one of the biggest disappointments of this generation for myself. Enemies lacked decent feedback from getting shot and could be very spongey, bullets lacked impact and were just not particularly satisfying, the gunplay itself was not even close to the precision we have seen from Remedy's own Max Payne 1/2, and if it wasn't for the powers, id consider the game to be a failure on every level not including the story. The powers themselves are interesting and fun to watch, but don't have a lot of depth to them, especially not enough to make up for the lackluster gunplay.

TPS's are my favorite broad genre of games, and Remedy was always someone to be excited for in that field. With QB, I realized the wait really wasn't worth it, so it didn't surprise me when MS didn't get them back for another game. All that money and time for what was an average experience at best.

Still, id like to see a conclusion to Alan Wake at some point..

The game was more about the powers than it was about the gunplay. MaxPayne was ALL about gunplay. You expect precision by some dude off the street? I don't remember what interview but I know that they stated that they wanted you to have to use your powers and not just a Max Payne clone with powers. What made QB was the powers...with the use of guns...not the guns.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, Microsoft should've stuck with Alan Wake and allowed Remedy to make as many sequels until they had no more stories to tell. Having a critically acclaimed Triple AAA TPS survival horror game definiely diversified Xbox's first party lineup.

Yes! I am sure Alan Wake would have been bigger if this happened.

The game was more about the powers than it was about the gunplay. MaxPayne was ALL about gunplay. You expect precision by some dude off the street? I don't remember what interview but I know that they stated that they wanted you to have to use your powers and not just a Max Payne clone with powers. What made QB was the powers...with the use of guns...not the guns.

Agreed. It was all about the powers for me.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY

QB is not the first game to do that though, even in the genre of TPS's. My issue isn't that the game focused on the powers too much, it's that there wasn't enough depth to the powers themselves to justify the trade-off in my personal opinion, and while I can understand the reasoning behind it, the lackluster shooting mechanics I'm describing don't match up with the logic your telling me. You can demonstrate someone is inexperienced with weapons in a video game in a variety of ways, making one of your core gameplay mechanics come up short is not a way I can get behind, especially in such a way where your own previous games surpass your current effort.

Alan Wake was no expert marksmen either, and I still found the combat to be much more enjoyable in that and American Nightmare.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
QB is not the first game to do that though, even in the genre of TPS's. My issue isn't that the game focused on the powers too much, it's that there wasn't enough depth to the powers themselves to justify the trade-off in my personal opinion, and while I can understand the reasoning behind it, the lackluster shooting mechanics I'm describing don't match up with the logic your telling me. You can demonstrate someone is inexperienced with weapons in a video game in a variety of ways, making one of your core gameplay mechanics come up short is not a way I can get behind, especially in such a way where your own previous games surpass your current effort.

Alan Wake was no expert marksmen either, and I still found the combat to be much more enjoyable in that and American Nightmare.

Welp, difference of opinions.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but you can't do this in Max Payne

w47bNdd.gif

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A small (hopefully real) leak came out days ago and this thread exploded. It is literally catching up to Sonys thread of partners..

The thirst is real for Xbox games.. I wish MS knew this.. ........... if they already don't..??

mickstar

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
A small (hopefully real) leak came out days ago and this thread exploded. It is literally catching up to Sonys thread of partners..

The thirst is real for Xbox games.. I wish MS knew this.. ........... if they already don't..??

I'm so thirsty for hot new releases that I could drink the river nile clean and still not quench my thirst, lol.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Welp, difference of opinions.

And that's fine, simply how things go.

To be fair I'm not all down on the game, I did enjoy the story and TV show parts and I do admire Remedy for attempting to blend these mediums together in a way that brings out the strengths in both, not to mention graphically speaking QB is downright gorgeous at times. The game just came short of the expectations I had from Remedy in a way I didn't expect.

What we should all really be discussing is why we still haven't gotten a second season of D4.

Oct 25, 2017
And that's fine, simply how things go.

To be fair I'm not all down on the game, I did enjoy the story and TV show parts and I do admire Remedy for attempting to blend these mediums together in a way that brings out the strengths in both, not to mention graphically speaking QB is downright gorgeous at times. The game just came short of the expectations I had from Remedy in a way I didn't expect.

What we should all really be discussing is why we still haven't gotten a second season of D4

YES!

tumblr_ntii2rNezJ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Everybody with any sense wants more D4!

giphy.webp

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

Please don't expect too much from the Banjo ID I found. I don't have much confidence in this one. I tried to be honest and don't want to disappoint anyone. This could be anything - maybe even just a character cameo. I guess they have something for the 20th Anniversary. But I doubt it's what most of you guys actually want.

Haha don't worry, I'm not going to expect or get my hopes up over anything major happening with the Banjo IP. I've learned my lesson from all those other times when I believed. They probably must have something planned for the anniversary, but the best thing I'm expecting is a remaster or something. Which wouldn't be such a bad thing anyway.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
YES!

tumblr_ntii2rNezJ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Everybody with any sense wants more D4!

giphy.webp

Truer words have not been typed.

I'm not one to normally fawn over an individual due to the nature of video game development being largely a team effort...

But Hidetaka Suehiro should be getting all the funding. Just all of it.

Microsoft, if your reading, get White Owls Inc. to finish D4 and then develop a sequel to Deadly Premonition.

You wont make any money, but you'll have my heart.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not one to normally fawn over an individual due to the nature of video game development being largely a team effort...

Microsoft, if your reading, get White Owls Inc. to finish D4 and then develop a sequel to Deadly Premonition.

Yep, I tried to think about individual names that would grab my attention and I can only really think of two:

Swery - He is batshit insane in the most adorable way

Molyneux - I probably won't pick up his games but I always enjoy reading about his impossible vision. Lot of nostalgia from the old days too

Oct 27, 2017

From what I remember, doesn't access games have the IP, or does MS own it?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

D4 was like a spiritual successor to Deadly Premonition. It should've played more like it with you having full control of your character instead of the clunky control where you move per tile that was designed for the Kinect. Hell, if any game deserves a remake it's Deadly Premonition.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
From what I remember, doesn't access games have the IP, or does MS own it?

Access owns both D4 and Deadly Premonition, but I imagine in a hypothetical scenario where there was funding, they would collaborate on either project. Either IP would take someone just as crazy to pull it off if not him, and I don't know many who could get it done if not Swery.

D4 was like a spiritual successor to Deadly Premonition. It should've played more like it with you having full control of your character instead of the clunky control where you move per tile that was designed for the Kinect. Hell, if any game deserves a remake it's Deadly Premonition.

Absolutely, the game is incredible.

Actually that's an understatement, I honestly believe it's a masterpiece in gaming that elevates the medium by making use of it's specific characteristics as a video game to intertwine mechanics and storytelling to such a degree that I believe any attempt to replicate it's story outside the format of gaming is instantly rendered lesser due to lack of interactivity on viewers part.

And yeah, I agree D4 would have been much better without the Kinect focus, especially looking back now in 2018 when MS doesn't even make the device anymore.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Access owns both D4 and Deadly Premonition, but I imagine in a hypothetical scenario where there was funding, they would collaborate on either project. Either IP would take someone just as crazy to pull it off if not him, and I don't know many who could get it done if not Swery.

Absolutely, the game is incredible.

Actually that's an understatement, I honestly believe it's a masterpiece in gaming that elevates the medium by making use of it's specific characteristics as a video game to intertwine mechanics and storytelling to such a degree that I believe any attempt to replicate it's story outside the format of gaming is instantly rendered lesser due to lack of interactivity on viewers part.

And yeah, I agree D4 would have been much better without the Kinect focus, especially looking back now in 2018 when MS doesn't even make the device anymore.
Exactly, D4's characters and story is what makes it great. Hell you could've made it more like a click and point Telltale game. I still enjoyed what we got and wish we could get more episodes to finish the story.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yep, I tried to think about individual names that would grab my attention and I can only really think of two:

Swery - He is batshit insane in the most adorable way

Molyneux - I probably won't pick up his games but I always enjoy reading about his impossible vision. Lot of nostalgia from the old days too
I think Microsoft has struggled without Molyneux. Whilst he annoyed most people on here (or the previous forum), and he was over ambitious, at least he was full of energy, enthusiasm, ideas, and always managed to captivate the media somehow. He certainly wasn't a 'suit' and now I'd say that Microsoft doesn't have any game designers in the limelight talking up their games, ideas, vision, etc.

Really he just needed someone to reign him in when he was designing the games. I think his best work was his 2D strategy-lite games like Theme Hospital when it was far easier for him to implement all the ideas in his head, compared to the world of big budget 3D games where it is pretty much impossible to even slightly entertain all his ideas without breaking the bank.

It's a shame he's completely disappeared from the console landscape, as I'd love to see him working on some smaller (2D/indie style) projects.

But yeah, Xbox really needs to get some enthusiastic, genuine and vocal visionaries in to their first party studios to create a bit more energy and hype around their games.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quantum Break was a good (7/10) but disappointing game for me. Story and characters were good with Lance Reddick as the standout in my opinion. Visuals were lacking but the effects were good. Music was okay but worse of all was the gameplay. The cover system was non existent and the shooting mechanics weren't that good. The action scenes were good but they were all shown in trailers pre-release. Why they showed all the best action scenes in every trailer made no sense then and makes no sense now. You can show two, maybe three depending on how many you have but they literally showed them all. Some say the TV show was better than the game. I didn't watch the TV show so I can't say either way but I wasn't a fan of the game being connected to the show in the first place and thought that it was stupid. Ending boss fight also sucked. Have no interest in seeing a sequel not that it matters since it's highly unlikely at this point.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Quantum Break was a good (7/10) but disappointing game for me. Story and characters were good with Lance Reddick as the standout in my opinion. Visuals were lacking but the effects were good. Music was okay but worse of all was the gameplay. The cover system was non existent and the shooting mechanics weren't that good. The action scenes were good but they were all shown in trailers pre-release. Why they showed all the best action scenes in every trailer made no sense then and makes no sense now. You can show two, maybe three depending on how many you have but they literally showed them all. Some say the TV show was better than the game. I didn't watch the TV show so I can't say either way but I wasn't a fan of the game being connected to the show in the first place and thought that it was stupid. Ending boss fight also sucked. Have no interest in seeing a sequel not that it matters since it's highly unlikely at this point.

That was by design, it's not meant to be played as a cover shooter, look at the gif posted above for how it's supposed to be done.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
That was by design, it's not meant to be played as a cover shooter, look at the gif posted above for how it's supposed to be done.
Yup, it definitely wasn't a cover shooter, and it wasn't meant to be played that way. I you used the powers and the environments against the enemies, it was pure fun.

However, is it a good scenario when you have to tell players how to play your game's core features? For me QB is a 9/10 game, but there was room for improvements.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know that but the design was bad because if that's the case, why implement a crouch and partial cover system to begin with? Game shouldn't have had that. That's why it fails because despite what it's supposed to be, it doesn't act like it at times when playing the game.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Yup, it definitely wasn't a cover shooter, and it wasn't meant to be played that way. I you used the powers and the environments against the enemies, it was pure fun.

However, is it a good scenario when you have to tell players how to play your game's core features? For me QB is a 9/10 game, but there was room for improvements.

Most game's do to an extent. QB's problem was that it did tell you to duck behind cover during the beginning stage, but perhaps to subtly, explained that it should only really be used to regain health before going on the offensive again.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I 100%'d QB and I frigging loved that game, but even I think it's a 7/10. It's a game that is just a few tweaks away from being an incredible game. I loved the graphics, the story, the acting, and heck, I even liked the TV program. My main problems:

1) The powers really weren't very interesting. It's all about bending time, yet the powers didn't really feel like that. I wanted them to go deeper with it like full blown rewind mechanic where you can send different versions of yourself out, or a Remember Me style thing where you can go deeper into the past and impact the environments before your upcoming encounter, etc.

2) The combat scenarios were poorly designed. Most of them were just big rooms or corridors. They didn't really put much thought into these.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just not so sure mixing those episodes would have equated to more levels. Because for that they probably would have needed more devs, and narrative reasons for those levels to exist.

You're damn right about the shooting. So good.

I'm not saying that they would have been able to get more levels just by getting rid of the episodes but that more levels were necessary for it to receive more accolades. If it were a straight video game, people would have liked it more.

I know that but the design was bad because if that's the case, why implement a crouch and partial cover system to begin with? Game shouldn't have had that. That's why it fails because despite what it's supposed to be, it doesn't act like it at times when playing the game.

Because it has regenerative health and hiding behind cover allows you to charge your powers and regenerate your health. You can literally see the gameplay loop in that one gif.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
1) The powers really weren't very interesting. It's all about bending time, yet the powers didn't really feel like that. I wanted them to go deeper with it like full blown rewind mechanic where you can send different versions of yourself out, or a Remember Me style thing where you can go deeper into the past and impact the environments before your upcoming encounter, etc.

Whilst Quantum Break's combat could have been improved, both of these suggestions would horribly compromise the consistent portrayal of time and how it can be affected, which was one of the game's biggest strengths.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
The combat and nix of powers and gunplay was qbs biggest strength.
The level design and linearity and combat encounter design was Bourne Conspiracy/007 Rogue Agent level generic however.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if NinjaBee is working with MS to have a new Keflings with the improved avatars? They apparently have a publisher for it since they aren't allowed to say yet.

https://twitter.com/ninjabeegames/status/951191927361224704
That's what I'd assumed when we heard about a new Keflings game. Other than the Doritos thing (and I guess 1 vs 100) Keflings was probably the most popular instance of avatar integration. A new one to show off the new guys makes a lot of sense.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that Microsoft developed more avatar games

Doritos Crash Course is a top 5 Xbox 360 game

Status
Not open for further replies.