• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if Perfect Dark is a thing, I think there's as much chance the Dark reference in the leak is a potential game based off of that short story, Dark Tide.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
They are all at Spring i believe? Wich runs from March 20th (Sea of Thieves release) until June 21th with E3 being June 12th.
Dont think they will release anything close to E3. So March, April, May. Would be great if we got 1 game each month.

You could be right. E3 is still far away.

But Crackdown 3 is supposed to have a beta, which we then have to question how close to release are we expecting it?

Is it going to be a stress test beta? Then we should get both in relatively short succession.

But if they're hoping to take feedback and make gameplay and mechanic changes you would have to assume they'd need more time between.

So far they've been completely silent, if development was going smoothly they probably would have announced a beta date already.

Really curious what Microsofts plan is here.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we still going to see new gameplay videos of State of Decay 2 soon? Seems like it's not happening any time soon. :(

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe in Perfect Dark.
hqdefault02kr5.jpg

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That prevents them from selling it again, not making it BC I think.

I'm pretty sure MS' implementation of BC brings up licensing issues. If the hardware was running the code naively, from the disc, it wouldn't be an issue. But since they are repackaging and redistributing the code on xbl, the process is more complicated.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Yeah, I think we should keep our expectations in check and not just believe every single rumor there is. No matter how believable they sound. How many times have we been lead to believe something will happen and it didn't in the past? Probably dozens of times.

At this point, I need to see it to believe it.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I'm not sure if Perfect Dark is a thing, I think there's as much chance the Dark reference in the leak is a potential game based off of that short story, Dark Tide.

But didn't the person who leaked this info in the first place mention it was "Ms.Dark" that was found, not just a generic "Dark"?

There is no one with that name in the short story.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But didn't the person who leaked this info in the first place mention it was "Ms.Dark" that was found, not just a generic "Dark"?

Well, Klobrille should definitely clarify for sure, but I think that the way that shook out was that the key word was Dark, not Ms. Dark or Perfect Dark, necessarily? And he filed in the gaps when he was making the initial post.

Personally, I think it's probably Dark Tide, since we know that that's happening for sure, but it could be Perfect Dark too.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Klobrille should definitely clarify for sure, but I think that the way that shook out was that the key word was Dark, not Ms. Dark or Perfect Dark, necessarily? And he filed in the gaps when he was making the initial post.

Personally, I think it's probably Dark Tide, since we know that that's happening for sure, but it could be Perfect Dark too.

I wouldn't believe it either. But other sources are also hearing the Perfect Dark rumour.. it can't be coincidence?

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Hope it's both honestly.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

SpectreJordan

Oct 26, 2017
IGN hearing about Perfect Dark is very reassuring. I doubt it'll be out this year, but if MS wants to gain some goodwill after their horrific 2017 they'll announce PD in June.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

It's Perfect Dark. In whatever form. I should just stick to my initial finding. That Dark Tide thing irritated me for sure, but it doesn't fit to that.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IGN said they heard from two separate sources about Perfect Dark reboot.

I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't count on IGN as a source of confirming rumours, especially after listening to their latest podcast, lol. They're all good people but I wouldn't use them as a barometer for reporting or confirming breaking news like someone like Scoops or anything.

I'd love a new Perfect Dark especially if they give it a complete reboot but I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves with this one.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
It's Perfect Dark. In whatever form. I should just stick to my initial finding. That Dark Tide thing irritated me for sure, but it doesn't fit to that.

I just wanted to ask about something I've been wondering about. Did it actually say PD will be in third person or are you just guessing it will be? If it's the latter, is it because the Coalition seems to be helping out that made you come to that conclusion?

It would be an uncanny coincidence.
pd_cassandra1dso2zjoh6.png

("Goodnight, Ms. Dark," is also the final line in the game, after the credits, IIRC.)

What? Really? I've never had this happen to me when I played the game. At least I don't think.....

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm not a fan of the previous 2 Perfect Dark's(from playing Rare Replay, they are both a bit shit)
Third time lucky I suppose.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Happy that Microsoft are getting their studios or IP's going again, but I feel that they need to diversify. Fable coming back is great but it isn't new and Perfect Dark is another game with guns in. Perfect for their audience but not expansive.

Hopefully some of the other things they've got going on are more risky for them.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play it back in the day but it certainly didn't seem to have aged well when I played it in Rare Replay.
Maybe back then it was good....
This is likely to spiral off into a tangent, but how did it "not age well"? While it is true there was significant room for improvement, one of the reasons PD is so lauded even today is the idea that nobody has made a game to surpass it. That's its a shining relic from a school of design that trusted players to solve problems with a focus on trial and error experimentation that clashed with the desire for instant gratification that became the norm in the 7th gen onwards. Kinda like how Hitman: Blood Money fans felt about that game until Hitman 2016 came along.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Alannah didn't say it was her sources or IGN's:

According to Alanah on the most recent Unlocked were they talk about the rumours in this thread, she says that she has heard from a friend in the industry who reports on leaks a lot that they have heard from two seperate sources about PD.

According to Alanah on the most recent Unlocked were they talk about the rumours in this thread, she says that she has heard from a friend in the industry who reports on leaks a lot that they have heard from two seperate sources about PD.

It could be anyone known for leaks, it could be Jason or someone from polygon etc. But Chris Dring one of the heads at GameIndustry.Biz also said he had heard about the PD and Fable rumours:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I found the aiming baffling in PD. Not sure how the accurate option actually functions or if I'm just terribly slow.

Did anyone like PDZ? Don't think that had any auto aim and weird dead zones which made it a bit challenging to play. At least there was arrows on the ground for truly mind boggling map design.

Oct 25, 2017
I found the aiming baffling in PD. Not sure how the accurate option actually functions or if I'm just terribly slow.

Did anyone like PDZ?

Perfect Dark (and Goldeneye) controls were a result of the N64 controller and yeah, they are a pain in the arse after 15 years of dual analogue stick controls becoming the standard.

PDZ multiplayer was a lot of fun, the campaign not so much.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

Did anyone like PDZ? Don't think that had any auto aim and weird dead zones which made it a bit challenging to play. At least there was arrows on the ground for truly mind boggling map design.
I loved PDZ multiplayer. Still an awesome way to design a map when you have certain amount of people within a server. PD always had unique takes on things that stood out from other games. I'm still pissed that no one has copied Counter-Op...like COME THE FUCK ON PEOPLE!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved PDZ multiplayer. Still an awesome way to design a map when you have certain amount of people within a server. PD always had unique takes on things that stood out from other games. I'm still pissed that no one has copied Counter-Op...like COME THE FUCK ON PEOPLE!

Probably too set piece script heavy campaigns these days. It's a cool idea though, they should still try.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark (and Goldeneye) controls were a result of the N64 controller and yeah, they are a pain in the arse after 15 years of dual analogue stick controls becoming the standard.
Nightfire had the exact same controls in 2002, and it was a standard dual analogue FPS game. Perfect Dark XBLA from 2010 handles more or less identically to Nightfire. Move with C-buttons, aim with stick translated into move with WASD, aim with mouse, or move with left analogue stick, aim with right analogue stick.

It's not like Metroid Prime where you were stuck moving and turning with the same analogue stick.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Nightfire had the exact same controls in 2002, and it was a standard dual analogue FPS game. Perfect Dark XBLA from 2010 handles more or less identically to Nightfire. Move with C-buttons, aim with stick translated into move with WASD, aim with mouse, or move with left analogue stick, aim with right analogue stick.

It's not like Metroid Prime where you were stuck moving and turning with the same analogue stick.

Quoting just for mentioning Nightfire, the best James Bond game ever made.

Now that's a game I would love to see added through OG BC.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Hmmm...

What are the chances this other studio involved in Perfect Dark is Armature, and MS put them on the project instead of a potential ReCore follow up?

I mean, ReCore itself is an open-world TPS/Platformer starring a red-headed heroine....

Edit: Not to mention they seem to be the right size to do most of the work on the project while getting assistance from The Coalition to deliver on time, and there's already a relationship with MS...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'll get excited for PD if it's a reboot of the franchise, would hate for it to be just another fps. Would be cool as an uncharted like espionage action type game though.

Maybe that's what's MS is going for?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hope it's 3rd person. Cyberpunk, action espionage with lots of variety and ways to approach situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.