• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Mind clarifying what you mean? Personally, I'm pretty convinced that the next Xbox is coming in 2019. I think E3 2018 is too early to start talking about it, so I fully expect a tight reveal to release window in 2019.

If these games aren't releasing this year, I'd imagine they'd wait to talk about them alongside the new hardware in 2019.

I mean I think it makes mores sense to announce these games at E3 2018, then sprinkle them in throughout 2018-2019. E3 2019 will be about the next Xbox, with a release either late 2019 or early 2020.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You'd rather them copy Battlefield than the current most popular shooter format?

I mean, there's a reason people love PUBG/Fortnite/etc. Plus, let's not act like the BR mode is anything other than a two horse race right now. No AAA involvement--yet.
Yes i rather have that. I mean Halo already had Invasion. Just crank it up to 11 and you have most likely what i said. Would prefer that over just another Battle Royal game..

Battlefield is a way better fit for Halo than PUBG, regardless of how hot BR is right now.
Yup. Thats what im saying :D

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Dunno 'bout y'all but I don't like the idea of a Halo Battle Royale. I don't feel it fits the gameplay of the series is all, even with the changes in 4 and 5.

Greatly interested in Horizon 4 though, can't wait to see the locales :)

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to revisit Albion. Project name could be Wisdom. An UK Studio should do it.

I would love to play around with Ms. Dark again. The Coalition should definitely help if it's a 3rd person game. I mean ... Not them alone obviously.

I would also love to play the Crackdown 3 campaign in 4-player coop.

I would love playing Forza with the rising sun on the Horizon.

I would love to play AoE4 soon ... But it's probably super early.

I would love to have a really high player-count (connections per session) for Xbox biggest franchise.

Oh and I think I'm sure Phil likes Mechs.

I'm sure they have things I have no fucking clue about what they mean.

I doubt I get anything for Conker, Banjo or Crimson Skies in the foreseeable future.

Make out of that what you want. I don't know what is just a prototype etc. I would definitely love to see those things happening though.

Couple of things to speculate on here if this is accurate.

A new Fable and Forza were obviously coming.

But the Perfect Dark game is interesting. Coalition collaborating with another studio. But you have to wonder what type of game this evolves into. Because generally Perfect Dark has been a stealth/action shooter.

Does Microsoft really need another one of those? Could be an action adventure open world game with stealth mechanics (Assassins Creed/Horizon.) But that could deviate to much from the original concept and world, so at that point why not just make it into a new Ip? Questions Questions.....

Xbox biggest franchise is obviously Halo. Sounds like the Warzone concept is being greatly expanded. But just a bigger warzone doesn't sound very exciting. I hope there's bigger evolution here besides just more players. .

New Mech Assault? Wonder what type of game that turns into. Multiplayer Arena?...How is it going to differentiate from Titanfall to really stand out?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
That's really awkward timing if it's next year. With the rumors swirling about PS5 in 2019, MS would be crazy not to have an E3 to showcase a new platform until 2020.

Also, the higher player count thing to me reads more like Halo meets Battlefield rather than PUBG.

Or are they also talking about a bigger pool of players? AKa Cross play- with PC hence the news a week or so ago about Keyboard and mouse being a thing for xbox.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I think it makes mores sense to announce these games at E3 2018, then sprinkle them in throughout 2018-2019. E3 2019 will be about the next Xbox, with a release either late 2019 or early 2020.

I got ya! I agree that this makes more sense, but I guess I'd be confused as to what platform the games should/could land on. If they're meant for the "next" Xbox, I think it'd garner some ill will to announce them in 2018. If they're meant for the Xbox One, they'd need to be out before the next console hits.

If all that is coming out before the new hardware hits, I'd agree that a 2020 release for new hardware seems likely. If it's coming in late 2019 I think they'd save most of these titles, or make them cross-gen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Couple of things to speculate on here if this is accurate.

A new Fable and Forza were obviously coming.

But the Perfect Dark game is interesting. Coalition collaborating with another studio. But you have to wonder what type of game this evolves into. Because generally Perfect Dark has been a stealth/action shooter.

Does Microsoft really need another one of those? Could be an action adventure open world game with stealth mechanics (Assassins Creed/Horizon.) But that could deviate to much from the original concept and world, so at that point why not just make it into a new Ip? Questions Questions.....

Xbox biggest franchise is obviously Halo. Sounds like the Warzone concept is being greatly expanded. But just a bigger warzone doesn't sound very exciting. I hope there's bigger evolution here besides just more players. .

New Mech Assault? Wonder what type of game that turns into. Multiplayer Arena?...How is it going to differentiate from Titanfall to really stand out?

Before they cancelled the project when they were given a chance to Develop gears franchise, The coalition was working on a action/stealth shooter code named shanghai.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I got ya! I agree that this makes more sense, but I guess I'd be confused as to what platform the games should/could land on. If they're meant for the "next" Xbox, I think it'd garner some ill will to announce them in 2018. If they're meant for the Xbox One, they'd need to be out before the next console hits.

I guess they could be for the next Xbox but I see this as XO's last big hurrah.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that they'd close Lionhead and have another UK studio make Fable nearly immediately after is so strange to me, I wonder how that happened.

I only see two possibilities here: Either they didn't think Lionhead could pull off the game they're planning to make, or they wanted to cut costs by having a smaller team make it and it'll be a smaller game in scope?

Any business reason I'm not thinking of?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The idea that they'd close Lionhead and have another UK studio make Fable nearly immediately after is so strange to me, I wonder how that happened.
$75,000,000 happened.

One last correction because I will close my setup soon: at least two different and unknown game IDs with Halo found. I have an idea about what they might be, but this is too vague. So I speculate: two different Halo games.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I guess they could be for the next Xbox but I see this as XO's last big hurrah.
If that's the case, I'm really interested in seeing whether or not the One X will still see software support going into the next Xbox hardware generation.

$75,000,000 happened.

One last correction because I will close my setup soon: at least two different game IDs with Halo found.

Interesting, could possibly be another Halo Spartan Strike?

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017

Based on what a former Microsoft employees had said. The studio was incredible expensive, and they were about to release a flop, also kept missing deadlines.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

I only see two possibilities here: Either they didn't think Lionhead could pull off the game they're planning to make, or they wanted to cut costs by having a smaller team make it and it'll be a smaller game in scope?

Any business reason I'm not thinking of?

Bloated salaries overhead. Probably needed to cut the fat. And yeah that 75,000,000

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Just gotta say, I love how quickly Klobrille went from "was fun two years ago, not gonna do it again though" to "did it again", lol.

Jesus, that's one crazy lineup. MS won E3 2018 in January.

To be fair the last time stuff like this leaked earlier in the year, it was basically how MS lost the E3 that followed.

Oct 25, 2017
A Forza Horizon set in Japan would be cool.

And as for the discussion a few pages ago about 2019 or 2020 next-gen launches. I personally think it's going to be 2020 for both or at least one. 2019 would be too soon unless things end up happening quicker than expected compared to what the graphics card manufacturers are currently projecting. From what I've heard (no, not from inside sources, just other people keeping up with the tech news) 2019 would be cutting it close, they would have to be right on time (which doesn't happen quite often) AND give console manufacturers dibs on the tech first. Either way though, whenever the launches happen, I see the there being maybe two or three launch year (proper) exclusives by each console maker, with the rest of the games being handled like the way X/Pro stuff is being handled right now. Basically cross-gen exclusives, except you don't need a new sku for the new-gen version and they have significant upgrades to textures and what not via patch (or included on disc already).

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible that the union strike delayed Halo's dev schedule?

If anything moving studio buildings could have delayed things a bit.

Every game hinted at so far is something I'm potentially interested in and hits genres and games Xbox is lacking in right now. Large western RPG in Fable, third person cinematic action game in Perfect Dark, some kind of legacy nostalgia game to ignite core Xbox fans in Mechassault. Good choices to focus on I think. Time will tell if/when these games come out.

Forza Horizon 4 in Japan sounds like a dream game to me.

Halo going the Battlefield route with Warzone is probably the best way for that franchise to move forward, with smaller arena style maps to supplement. Just hoping Big Team Battle doesn't get lost in the wayside again.

Edit: Or two different Halo games, one classic style and the other one a military style Battlefield game. Now that sounds promising.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
$75,000,000 happened.

One last correction because I will close my setup soon: at least two different and unknown game IDs with Halo found. I have an idea about what they might be, but this is too vague. So I speculate: two different Halo games.

I have some guesses.

Arena multiplayer game (ala cs go) tailored to hardcore esports crowd.

A telltale like game, Episodic, expand the lore and characters.

Halo MMO lite

An Open World Halo game, third person.

Most likely guesses. Or it's just MCC (massive updates) and Halo 6.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Forza Horizon set in Japan would be cool.

And as for the discussion a few pages ago about 2019 or 2020 next-gen launches. I personally think it's going to be 2020 for both or at least one. 2019 would be too soon unless things end up happening quicker than expected compared to what the graphics card manufacturers are currently projecting. From what I've heard (no, not from inside sources, just other people keeping up with the tech news) 2019 would be cutting it close, they would have to be right on time (which doesn't happen quite often) AND give console manufacturers dibs on the tech first. Either way though, whenever the launches happen, I see the there being maybe two or three launch year (proper) exclusives by each console maker, with the rest of the games being handled like the way X/Pro stuff is being handled right now. Basically cross-gen exclusives, except you don't need a new sku for the new-gen version and they have significant upgrades to textures and what not via patch (or included on disc already).

Very insightful! I for one would love the cross-gen implementation that you mentioned, but I wonder how they would market cross-gen games. I suppose they could modify the box it ships in like Microsoft has done with certain BC 360 games.

I'm still convinced that it'll be 2019, but I'd love to see a technical roadmap that points to why that may or may not happen. Was there a certain thread that had most of this discussion in one place? I'd love to read up on it!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Please dont make every shooter now suddenly Battle Royal just because its popular.
That said. I doubt Halo would go that route. Dont think it fits and to be fair Battle Royale just blew up and was unexpected. And pretty sure a new Halo was already well in development to make a sudden change just to cater to a hype. A expanded Warzone or a real Big Big Team battle makes more sense,

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't think Halo with go Battle Royal to be honest. Just with connected sessions or file names I have no chance to find that out - but it's really just a personal speculation that they would rather build open Warzone and simply make it bigger and more epic.

Btw I never said Mech Assault. I found files that clearly represent a mech game. Could be Mech Assault. Could be Mech Commander. Could be BattleTech for Xbox. Something like that. I don't know guys, sry. It's not like I can find folders with simply "Mech Assault" - if it would be only that easy ... :D Everything is just numbers and some file names were you can detect a Warthog as an example
ni/w/obj/22/2/dmg_warthog_full

We all know what The Coalition is doing. It's obvious - they are here for the Gears franchise. I think they have a small team helping with the Dark project as a disclaimer file name suggests though.

Last edited:

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I really hope it's not a Halo Battle Royale either, I have fun with PUBG but I wouldn't really want that experience from Halo.

Now Halo's multiplayer on a much bigger than scale than we have seen before? Something I would love to see, so ill echo the Battlefield Halo posts. That's actually what I remember a lot of people (including myself) were speculating Warzone might be right before it got announced.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Halo with go Battle Royal to be honest. Just with connected sessions or file names I have no chance to find that out - but it's really just a personal speculation that they would rather build open Warzone and simply make it bigger and more epic.
I assume the player count you were seeing was smaller in scope than say PUBG.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
$75,000,000 happened.

Bloated salaries overhead. Probably needed to cut the fat. And yeah that 75,000,000

Wait, I guess that means Legends went way over budget? I mean, they won't get that 75M back no matter what. Spending the budget for Fable 4 (or whatever this ends up being) at Lionhead or elsewhere ends up being the same thing, though I guess if an external dev misses milestones, MS may not have to pay.

Based on what a former Microsoft employees had said. The studio was incredible expensive, and they were about to release a flop, also kept missing deadlines.

Interesting, I thought I heard it was between them and Rare and one had to go or something. I could very much be making this up though.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Btw I never said Mech Assault. I found files that clearly represent a mech game. Could be Mech Assault. Could be Mech Commander. Could be BattleTech for Xbox. Something like that. I don't know guys, sry. It's not like I can find folders with simply "Mech Assault" - if it would be only that easy ... :D Everything is just numbers and some file names were you can detect a Warthog as an example

We all know what The Coalition is doing. It's obvious - they are here for the Gears franchise. I think they have a small team helping with the Dark project as a disclaimer file name suggests though.

Is it called "Dark"? Maybe it's not Perfect Dark related but instead for this:

Wsq2SYi.png

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY

Metal
Wolf
Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still convinced that it'll be 2019, but I'd love to see a technical roadmap that points to why that may or may not happen. Was there a certain thread that had most of this discussion in one place? I'd love to read up on it!
Unfortunately the discussions that I was part of (or rather witnessing) were in various discords, and they were linking to individual articles/roadmaps and what not that convinced me that 2020 is more likely than 2019. But I don't consider 2019 impossible.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
At this point the admins can't verify if the post made by Klobrille in this thread is accurate. However, the user has shared that they posted a similar amount of information a couple of years ago that turned out to be true.

That does not mean we can verify that they are telling the truth or that their information is accurate in this case. As always, the member takes full responsibility for what they post.

I'll defer to the posts the user made on this topic.

I never stated anything about insider or stuff like that. Don't call me something I never stated. I'm just a gamer like you who expects his first child within the next 10 days. That's all.

Again. I have nothing for verification as my personality has nothing to do with this. It's a technical thing which I know some things about. All I can do is to prove that I'm the same guy who found out the stuff 2 years ago.

For anyone wondering about Klobrille's previous dump from the Xbox API : https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4luugg/e3_teaser_trailer_coming_online_later_today/
He got everything right but Battletoads, in fact the AOE rumour and Phantom Dust got proven this year.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As others have noted, I'll be amazed if the Halo stuff points to anything other than an expanded Warzone mode. I'd honestly be quite happy with that! At this point I'm just really curious to see when Halo 6 will actually show up. Given how long they've been supporting 5, I feel there's a 50/50 chance that the next entry is a launch title for the next Xbox rather than being a cross-gen title.

Part of my gut feeling here is just that I'd love to see Microsoft launch another Xbox with a Halo game. Start a new gen the same way they started the Xbox brand with what would hopefully be the best game in the series to date.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As others have noted, I'll be amazed if the Halo stuff points to anything other than an expanded Warzone mode. I'd honestly be quite happy with that! At this point I'm just really curious to see when Halo 6 will actually show up. Given how long they've been supporting 5, I feel there's a 50/50 chance that the next entry is a launch title for the next Xbox rather than being a cross-gen title.

Part of my gut feeling here is just that I'd love to see Microsoft launch another Xbox with a Halo game. Start a new gen the same way they started the Xbox brand with what would hopefully be the best game in the series to date.

Halo 6 will be a showpiece for Xbox One X in 2019.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Halo and Gears should get a reboot of sorts. Perhaps, that should wait until next gen to coincide with new beginnings, but I think they should at least test the waters with the sequels. I don't think doing a standard 3 year sequel for both games is going to do much for the franchises.

Of course, the problem is they need big exclusives for the fall this year and next year. I was thinking a relaunch of sorts for MCC could cover this year but I don't know about 2019.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotdamn, you're right. WTF was I thinking. I guess I have Halo 6 being announced at e3 and released later this year. It will still be a showpiece for Xbox One X.

Makes sense! That's what I've been thinking as well, but I recently put on my tinfoil hat to speculate about Xbox "next" and the timing for that and first party game releases. Really, I'll be happy with whenever it comes out! If it ends up being a showpiece for the One X, that would be the last push I need to go out and get one.

I think there is zero chance the next mainline Halo will not release on Xbox One. Personal opinion.

Opinion noted! As I stated above, I'm about 50/50 at this point in time.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is zero chance the next mainline Halo will not release on Xbox One. Personal opinion.
Yeah I have Halo 6 for 2018, Gears 5 for 2019 with new Xbox coming no sooner than 2020. After finishing Gears 6, Microsoft should crossover these franchises into one Halo vs Gears of War and free up one of their studios to create a new IP or revitalize an old IP.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So, will Halo 6 be 60 FPS again like Halo 5?

Personally I think it'll be 30fps for the single player campaign with an optional unlocked framerate performance mode on X like Gears 4. But the multiplayer will be 60fps.

I admired 343's insistence on a locked 60fps campaign on XBO for Halo 5, but unfortunately the OG XBO is so underpowered it really came to the detriment of the look of the game, with low poly graphics. When compared on X against Gears 4, the latter is leagues ahead in the graphics department.

Status
Not open for further replies.