• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017
Rod is a very efficient manager. I am sure they can be in 2 two teams working on different franchises. Especially if they are getting external help or even overseeing said game.

I think now would be a good time to bring back perfect dark. With a female lead Joanna can be a good mascot for MS alongside MC and Marcus.
I don't see this as being possible having two teams is not only incredibly expensive but also draining

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Dark tide was actually a pretty great read, it had a lot of tension and a lot of the story could be used as gameplay mechanics. It would work well with a Last of Us style.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever Gears does return (the ending to 4 was interesting) I want the OG crew to have a few playable missions. Felt like we were going to get one at the tail end of the game.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if they are 250+ and this new IP doesn't seem very far along they will expand over time, they are bigger than what ND was when they had two teams. They made Gears UE and Gears 4 in just over 2 years, and the team started of smaller than it ended. When we look at PlayStation's first party teams they have Bend with just over a hundred and Suckerpunch with a little bit more, it's not impossible or anything. It'll probably mean the next gears has a 4 year development cycle rather than 3 and they will probably use outsourcing. But I do wonder if Big Park was folded into the Coalition.

*ND doesn't exactly have two teams, they have one big team for development and one small team for pre-preduction/IP incubation, they only work at one game at a time. And now they're bigger than TC.
*Gears UE is remaster. The new IP is you know a new IP which means it needs much much bigger resources.
*Sucker Punch and Bend take very long ass time to release games.
*TC already outsource many of their stuff.
*Big Park is really small (11-50 employees according to linkedin)
With 250 people at Coalition plus the folks at Splash Damage who will no doubt assist with Gears, I don't see why not. The new IP is probably really early in development so perhaps they don't have a huge team on it right now. The company is also growing.

I don't see how you can definitively state that they do not have enough people for a two team approach. There are contractors in addition to the dev team at Coalition.

Ummm, you're proving my point. The whole team +200 and many contractors all worked on just one game: Gears 4, if you want to work on two games you need to double the team and double the amount of contractors.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
A nice new IP being made by Coalition, eh? The plot thickens, I think this will probably be the Microsoft output trough the next 3 years.

With Halo 6 skipping 2018, Gears 5 will skip one year as well.

Wild guess: Perfect Dark is actually coming this year

So I expect 2018 to be something like...

Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
PERFECT DARK
Crackdown 3
Ashen
The Late Night
Forza Horizon 4
Banjo Kazooie Anniversary?
Halo whatever 343 is doing

Then we have 2019...

Electric Square game
Halo 6
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Coalition new IP
Forza Motorsport 8
Mech Game?

Gears of War 5
Forza Horizon 5
Fable Reboot
Recore 2?
Rare New IP

who knows the rest

Last edited:

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
New IPs are really exciting I hope this is as surprising as Sucker Punch doing a Feudal Japan game, excited to see what this is and please don't be a multiplayer only game.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
*ND doesn't exactly have two teams, they have one big team for development and one small team for pre-preduction/IP incubation, they only work at one game at a time. And now they're bigger than TC.
*Gears UE is remaster. The new IP is you know a new IP which means it needs much much bigger resources.
*Sucker Punch and Bend take very long ass time to release games.
*TC already outsource many of their stuff.
*Big Park is really small (11-50 employees according to linkedin)

Ummm, you're proving my point. The whole team +200 and many contractors all worked on just one game: Gears 4, if you want to work on two games you need to double the team and double the amount of contractors.
During Uncharted 3 and Last of Us they were two seperate teams, now with Uncharted 4, TLC and LOU2 they do one game at a time with a pre-pro team. Coalition is bigger then ND was during the time they had two seperate teams, when you factor out ICE team from current ND it isn't that much bigger than the Coalition. Thats also a rough 250+ and they are still hiring, a remaster is not made by 10-20 people it's still a drain on the team. They still did Gears 4 and that remaster in just over 2 years, yes of course a new IP takes longer that doesn't mean they haven't had pre-pro for this game or that it is Shangheist (it also doesn't mean your getting it soon.) Like I said it appears it's early so they will expand over time, you don't grow a studio that quickly. TC actually doesn't have much outsourcing for Gears 4 compared to most AAA games, Mainly Splash Damage who was focused on the multiplayer. But I don't see how outsourcing for one project affects the others? Big parks 11-50 employees is not an insignifcant number, while Sucker Punch and Bend (cancelled project) take a long time to release games I pointed it out because you seem to be trying to say it's impossible. Look at Respawn or Insomniac as an example of studios that can manage two or more teams.

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Splash Damage working on their own Gears product would be pretty fucking great.

At least MP wise. Don't know how much creativity they would have with the art direction

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
A nice new IP being made by Coalition, eh? The plot tickens, I think this will probably be the Microsoft output trough the next 3 years.

With Halo 6 skipping 2018, Gears 5 will skip one year as well.

Wild guess: Perfect Dark is actually coming this year

So I expect 2018 to be something like...

Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
PERFECT DARK
Crackdown 3
Ashen
The Late Night
Forza Horizon 4
Banjo Kazooie Anniversary?
Halo whatever 343 is doing

Then we have 2019...

Electric Square game
Halo 6
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Coalition new IP
Forza Motorsport 8
Mech Game?

Gears of War 5
Forza Horizon 5
Fable Reboot
Recore 2?
Rare New IP

who knows the rest

Ashen and Last Night are not first party games

And my guess is Coalition new IP in 2019 and Gears in 2020 prob wont happen if its all on the same studio. Other than those and the stuff we dont know anything about, I dont think this is too far off

Oct 26, 2017
Who would have thought 2018 would start so positive for Xbox news? Now it's very likely we won't be actually seeing or playing these for a long time to come but that's OK.

Just as long as it doesn't all turn out to be a big nothing, fake news basically. Of all of these Fable seems to be the most real because we have multiple reports on that.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Who would have thought 2018 would start so positive for Xbox news? Now it's very likely we won't be actually seeing or playing these for a long time to come but that's OK.

Just as long as it doesn't all turn out to be a big nothing, fake news basically. Of all of these Fable seems to be the most real because we have multiple reports on that.
We know virtually nothing about Sony and Nintendo this year but eight days into 2018, it seems like there's some new leak every single day. This might be one of those years where everything Microsoft has is known months before announcement. And this is one of the reasons why only having an event in June and nothing else for the rest of the year isn't suitable. Microsoft is one of the richest companies in the world, they need to keep their leaks under control.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Lots of early hype and I just hope some of it is real. Fable would be the bug one for me too but all of the rumors sound great.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the future looking bright, as if they visit this thread and fix every criticisms for first party.
Let internel studio work on new IP, check.
New fable, check.
New perfect dark, check.
Utilize their old Ip, check.
More new IP from external studio, check.
Give Halo/gear more dev time, check.
Forza in Japan, check.

What else they haven't check?

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
Interesting. How long does the rating typically precede the actual release? For example God of War was also rated but they didn't say the date though it should be close now

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the future looking bright, as if they visit this thread and fix every criticisms for first party.
New fable, check.
New perfect dark, check.
Forza in Japan, check.

They haven't given Sakaguchi the Microsoft platinum credit card.

Oct 26, 2017
We know virtually nothing about Sony and Nintendo this year but eight days into 2018, it seems like there's some new leak every single day. This might be one of those years where everything Microsoft has is known months before announcement. And this is one of the reasons why only having an event in June and nothing else for the rest of the year isn't suitable. Microsoft is one of the richest companies in the world, they need to keep their leaks under control.

It's a double edged sword, if that's the right word for it. It's great to finally hear some actual new game stuff about Xbox and not just sequels of long lasting franchises but real new stuff and at the same time it would be great if they could surprise us with this stuff in the upcoming E3 shows.

And yeah definitely, another show is what they are going to need for sure. Didn't MS have a show of their own in the Xbox and Xbox 360 days?

Lots of early hype and I just hope some of it is real. Fable would be the bug one for me too but all of the rumors sound great.

For damn sure. The things a brand new and talented studio could do for Fable. A franchise that hasn't been treated all that well since Fable 3. 1 and 2 were good, 3 is where it went downhill for the most part. There were some alright things in 3.

New fable, check.
New perfect dark, check.
Forza in Japan, check.

Hahaba exactly as you said it man. I guess this time Spencer and MS overall was genuine when they said they realized that they could improve drastically in this area and now that X was out, all the past mistakes corrected they would get to it. It sure sounds like that is happening now.

Lovely stuff. The big three all busy with bringing the gamers promising and new games. What is not to like about that? We could be looking at very promising E3's from now on. I guess it depends on how far along these projects are and if MS sticks by what they said about announcing too early.

Whatever the case the future is starting to look bright for Xbox gamers and I just hope those new projects will succeed to, at the end or the days it's up to us to buy the damn things, lol.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. How long does the rating typically precede the actual release? For example God of War was also rated but they didn't say the date though it should be close now
Well Far Cry 5 was only rated a few days ago it's releasing 27th of March, so I would assume April time.

So SoT and SoD 2 are coming before CD3 ?
Well Sea of Thieves hasn't even been rated yet, It will be later due to there development schedule up to release.

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
I agree they seem to be making progress rather fast but there's still...

analisis-sunset-overdrive-art.png

Call them Phil

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
New fable, check.
New perfect dark, check.
Forza in Japan, check.

Get the win store shit together
Make all games play anywhere
Bring BC to win10 PCs
Fix whatever needs fixing for Japanese games to not skip xbone
Come back working with some legendaries Japanese devs (Sakaguchi, Kamiya and Futatsugi)
Speaking of Futatsugi, let him create the Crimson Dragon Saga RPG he wanted

Edit:
Alan Wake 2
Quantum Break 2
Sunset Overdrive 2
Rallisport 2017
Otogi 3
(Insert many games from OG xbox)

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So according to the developers of State of Decay 2, Microsoft told them they aren't allowed to share any new information or trailers until after 2018 starts. I wonder if there's a similar embargo for Crackdown 3?

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Will Alan Wake 2 even happen?. Remedy said they wanted to make it, but Microsoft wanted their own IP which is how we got Quantum Break. They're now doing something multi-platform.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Something new from The Coalition is huge! I still expect the next time we see them it'll be Gears 5 though.

All of these rumors are going to drive us crazy until June :P

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Something new from The Coalition is huge! I still expect the next time we see them it'll be Gears 5 though.
In production 2017 might mean it's a 2019 game. We could see it at E3 because it's a new IP. Gears doesn't need any time to be revealed, people know what Gears is. A new IP needs multiple showcases to prove itself.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
In production 2017 might mean it's a 2019 game. We could see it at E3 because it's a new IP. Gears doesn't need any time to be revealed, people know what Gears is. A new IP needs multiple showcases to prove itself.
We'll see. Only way I see a new IP shipping in two years is if it's something small. Gears 4 may have been done in 2.5 but it was hardly a reinvention of the formula.

But then again, maybe the new IP is the lead project. Who knows.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This needs to happen. CD wasn't great, mainly down to being commissioned as a Kinect game and being moved from being a 360 release, to a X1 launch title, so MS should do him a solid and let him make it.
I can see exactly 2 things that greatly destroyed any chance of CD being awesome:

The control scheme: not tying movement to aiming (as you said, to make it work for kinect), which in turn made it a mess to balance the combats.
The F2P structure of small but abundant stages and a grinding level up system.

All the problems I with the game come down to those two, which I'm sure it was decisions forced on the developer. So I would love to see they giving another shot, but for a game properly aimed at what it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.