darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like making a cheaper Surface but still having the not cheap at all "optional" accessories that kind of make the device what it is sucks. My iPad Mini 2 is really long in the tooth now and was hoping this device would replace it as my tablet device. Still might but I'll probably wait for a sale or something. As it is I'm not really sure who this device is for tbh

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
pentium gold.

If it had keyboard included (which looks nice) it could be decent but yeah...

rsfour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a tempting price. I guess it depends on how much the KB is, and...the pen? Pen is included right lol?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So this isn't the rumored Courier-successor thing? It's just a cheaper Surface? OK.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So these don't come with the keyboard/pen/mouse right?

How much does it end up costing once you add everything up?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Looks bad. Nothing about this looks like a good product.

cheap cpu
low ram
Low disk space
no standard keyboard
No pen in the box.

What are they thinking here? Windows is not designed to be a tablet. If you aren't going to pack in a keyboard you may as well just fuck off with $399

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
and I'm assuming $400 is for 4GB and 128Gb storage right? hopefully they are not insane to sell 64GB storage. and the storage is going to be eMMC at best, these won't have SSDs. When you consider these, why on earth you would buy this. Just buy the real thing. It's not really that much cheaper considering how much worse it is.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
Its been a while but I'm pretty sure I couldn't survive without 8gb of RAM these days if I'm doing web browsing + something else at the same time. The cheap processor isn't a problem in my opinion but the RAM and storage loadout just doesn't work particularly well for a Windows device.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This is the complete opposite of what they need in the Surface line. Low specs, low memory, low storage for $399? Who are they aiming for with this product?

Also, no pen included?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
$400? Wow. If they could increase it to 128 GB and a bit more ram that would be amazing, but really solid price.

They need to have an accessories/upgrade package with everything included and upgraded specs for like $550/600 tho.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
lol, No.

Looks pretty good. The more my iPad Pro becomes a glorified clipboard, with no upgrades in sight to pen, keyboard or app support the more appealing something like this is.
I promise you the iPad Pro is not only faster than this, it will also have a better pen and run apps better and has a way better eco system for this type of hardware.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Aw man. Would've been a done deal if it included the pen.

It still looks pretty nice but might as well go for the higher tier if you're already spending 500+ bucks on this.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I promise you the iPad Pro is not only faster than this, it will also have a better pen and run apps better and has a way better eco system for this type of hardware.

Definitely. There's no real way this is a competitor to anything mainstream, even if it's running Windows 10 in S-Mode.

For those wondering about the processor, it's this one: https://ark.intel.com/products/122697/Intel-Pentium-Processor-4415Y-2M-Cache-1_60-GHz

And this is S-Mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't the base iPad still come with 32GB of storage?

Its a problem with Apple but generally the OS and application sizes on Windows devices are larger. Unless Microsoft has significantly slimmed down Windows 10, OS size of a perfectly clean install is around 10gb. Throw in something like Microsoft Office and that's already 15gb of space consumed.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Its a problem with Apple but generally the OS and application sizes on Windows devices are larger. Unless Microsoft has significantly slimmed down Windows 10, OS size of a perfectly clean install is around 10gb from disk space. Throw in something like Microsoft Office and that's already 15gb of space consumed.

Try 20

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a replacement for the basic Surface line (like Surface 3).

And of course, this being Surface; it being $399 means it's really a pricier Chromebook. And if you want it as a tablet; this looks absolutely archaic and under-powered compared to an iPad, which will probably (actually) do everything better.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've got an S3. Will probably get one of these.
I've got a Surface 3 too, but I'm not sure yet if it's worth the upgrade, at least for me.

The performance boost would be nice, but I really don't do anything too taxing with it (mostly videos and web browsing, and occasionally use it for work when I don't want to lug around my laptop).
Plus I got a good deal on the LTE 128gb version of the S3, so this would be a downgrade there if I went with the cheaper option.
Is there a way to force windows 10 out of s mode on something like this
According to Verge, yes. It's a free option to turn it off or upgrade out of it, or however that works.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
you can get the newest ipad with the Apple Pencil for like $410. And it will do 90% of what you need in a tablet. What the fuck is anyone going to do with a $400 Win10 tablet? Are there any Win10 apps designed for tablets? I would never want to use photoshop on a 10" screen. and i probably couldn't anyways with these specs.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the pens are basically as good as each other.

I actually like the Surface pen more because it's far better designed in how it operates (it doesn't automatically turn on and drain it's battery like an Apple Pencil does); but it's very easy to make the argument that the Apple one feels significantly better and more enjoyable to use (the Surface pen feels like a toy at times).

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017
Seems like a replacement for the basic Surface line (like Surface 3).

And of course, this being Surface; it being $399 means it's really a pricier Chromebook. And if you want it as a tablet; this looks absolutely archaic and under-powered compared to an iPad, which will probably (actually) do everything better.

I haven't seen any tech sites mention this but this tablet can run the fully expanded Heroes of Might & Magic 3 with the HD Mod, unlike an iPad. Microsoft hasn't listed this on its blog, unsure why because that is a killer feature that destroys all other competitors.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've got a Surface 3 too, but I'm not sure yet if it's worth the upgrade, at least for me.

The performance boost would be nice, but I really don't do anything too taxing with it (mostly videos and web browsing, and occasionally use it for work when I don't want to lug around my laptop).
Plus I got a good deal on the LTE 128gb version of the S3, so this would be a downgrade there if I went with the cheaper option.
Moderating Reset on my 3 is slower than I'd like. Don't really like to take my Pro to bed, cause it's a work device and it's on the large size.