• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
My company recently switched from Slack to Teams (due to Teams being included as part of our Office 365 subscription), and so far it's universally seen as a major downgrade by myself and everyone on the team. In particular, there's a huge amount of wasted space, which then triggers a lot more scrolling.

There's just so much ground that Microsoft needs to make up.

IE11 : Chrome :: Teams : Slack

Just terrible.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
My company and the switch about a week or so ago too. It's terrible. I can't believe how much it is missing compared to the last product we were using. It doesn't even sync properly with our calendars and the status of users is wrong far too often

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole wasted space/designed for mobile design aesthetic that's common in Windows 10 and programs designed for Windows 10 is just awful.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There's Slack (or "Crack" as the head of my division referred to it in the recent quarterly meeting) and everything else.

Slack is the gold standard that other products need to rise to. It may be a long while before that happens.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Look like Microsoft is sucking big time in communication tools....

Oh the Windows 10 version of Skype is freaking awful too

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I really wish they'd just give me the option to turn off threaded replies. Or just give me Slack's chat layout. Just make that stupid reply button go away in channels.

It's not a bad app, layout issues aside. We use Sharepoint and Exchange Online so the integration is pretty nice, it's just ugly as sin and is stupidly cumbersome for its primary use as a basic productivity chatroom app.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Slack is wonderful. I find the Trello integration to be wonderful too. The pro version is expensive but they are the best in the business and they can get away with it.

Oct 30, 2017
It's Microsoft, given time it will simply over take the competition. Teams needs another 2-3 years and it'll surpass Slack and more and more companies are going to consolidate down to Teams due to licensing costs alone. Slack is a great product however, but Microsoft + time is a winning combo.

For instance, my team is now using Teams and while it's clunky it gets the job done and its included in our O365 licensing. We have development teams who've been using Slack for years and they were told they have 3 months to migrate off to Teams. This all happened when we migrated all fileshares (user and office) to O365. Once that was done, boom finance team swooped in and basically told a lot of departments the jig was up. Slack was no longer going to be paid for when Teams was included.

Teams still need a lot of development in my opinion, but MS will get there. They always get there.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Teams is much newer than those.

I was going to integrate Teams in to my team's workflow but I'm leaving in 2 months so fuck it.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm trying to get our team in to using Mattermost (slack-like) along with Taiga. Money is an issue for us, so the freer / open source the better.

I'm hoping to integrate both with work lists in SharePoint.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slack is great

Been meaning to write some integrations with their API so we can have our build and deployment servers message the team in Slack.

Has anyone done anything like this yet? Visual Studio TFS online —> Slack

Oct 30, 2017
Oh also, Microsoft announced that Skype for Business (Lync) is moving entirely into Teams. They are going to completely deprecate S4B and merge it all into the Teams API. This also falls in line with Microsofts announced development cycle, which is they are developing all applications for Cloud first, then back-porting "some" applications to on-prem installs. So the Teams development cycle has ramped up a lot this year and I expect we'll see some more announcements at Build in a week.

Slack is great

Been meaning to write some integrations with their API so we can have our build and deployment servers message the team in Slack.

I'm not sure about Slack, but I'm almost certain this is coming to Teams. I read about a lot of VS -> Teams integration.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm with you OP, we recently had to switch from Slack to Teams and it hasn't been a fun time. I really hope MS invests time into making Teams more usable.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently made the decision to drop slack.

The problem was it was too good at facilitating communication in the moment. Information that should have been captured in Jira was living in slack.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently made the decision to drop slack.

The problem was it was too good at facilitating communication in the moment. Information that should have been captured in Jira was living in slack.

We use both JIRA and slack and we had the same issue. We just told our team to limit channel talk in that regard. There's a cool plugin for slack where you can give the [project]-[bug/story #] and it will pop up the JIRA url for quick and easy reference.

Stormed

Jan 5, 2018
Utah
Microsoft has a strong tendancy to rush products and then support it as time goes on. Since it's included with 365, I'm sure they're going to shoehorn it hard until people finally accept it.

Oct 29, 2017
Just be thankful your company doesn't use Skype for Business, what a complete piece of shit. I'll be glad when it moves over to being Teams

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slack is great

Not VS specifically, but other stuff. It's really easy to set up some webhooks.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Slack is great, the versatility is just amazing.

Once I set up a channel for Spotify requests on the office speakers. Damn good.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Teams is okay.

Not a power user, but it can be super weird at times - like, it's in-app PDF rendering seems to be non-standard / buggy. (as in, the pdf, once you download it, renders layers properly, while the preview within ignores certain layers / shadows.)
Also, there's huge amounts of wasted space, meanwhile longer filenames get shortened to all hell...

like wtf is this shit
z4GkBYO.png

Also, it's really inconsistent with regards to where you'd find right-click menus.
Also, i'd like read receipts on the messages i post, thank you.

We didn't use slack before, so teams is definitely an upgrade versus using email and shared folders...

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Slack is great , way better than Teams, but if your company is trying to save money it's probably a good move. Teams costs them 0$ while Slack is charging 300$+ dollars per user per year (1 user = 1 full member or multi-channel guest, even if you delete a member after a month it counts for the full year) for the entreprise grid solution.

And as some other persons mentioned, Teams isn't mature yet but could become quite good eventually.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason MS created Teams is because Slack wouldn't sell. They'll get up to speed on teams. Eventually.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Honestly everything MS puts out software wise is trash at the moment IMO. The only thing my business uses ms wise is fucking Windows.

Teams is awful, outlook is a trainwreck, office 365 makes me feel like I'm using a Dell from 1995, Skype is shit compared to Zoom, it's awful top to bottom.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly everything MS puts out software wise is trash at the moment IMO. The only thing my business uses ms wise is fucking Windows.

Teams is awful, outlook is a trainwreck, office 365 makes me feel like I'm using a Dell from 1995, Skype is shit compared to Zoom, it's awful top to bottom.

What do you use besides office365. I happen to love it.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Teams is fine for what it is, but I don't use it for chatting, just notifications.

From what I've used of Slack I have zero interest in using it at work, and my concerns seem to be borne out by people who have used it extensively (namely adding more noise to my daily routine when I want less)

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slack is great, the versatility is just amazing.

Once I set up a channel for Spotify requests on the office speakers. Damn good.

That's cool. We like to stop what we're doing occasionally and watch Police chases so I set up a channel that is subscribed to a Twitter feed that posts them automatically for us.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
What do you use besides office365. I happen to love it.

Simply the google stuff, gmail/docs/sheets/slides + slack + zoom + asana.

They aren't perfect but the web based MS products are sooooo laggy on both my overpowered gaming PC, my decent laptop, my project manager's computer, and my wife's MBP.

We are a fairly small company (about 16 people) so there might be some more fancy stuff you can do with office 365, but the speed is such a deal breaker.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Windows Phone was a super cool concept so I wonder if they UI team lost it or what the hell happened. Microsoft messing up on UI- Embarrassing.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the whole wasted space/designed for mobile design aesthetic that's common in Windows 10 and programs designed for Windows 10 is just awful.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. The trend of UI making inefficient use space just so its easier to use on a phone when you are using programs on a desktop machine drives me INSANE. UI should keep getting better as we learn more, not regress and quite frankly the modern UI design trend in windows is awful.

Dec 4, 2017
Look like Microsoft is sucking big time in communication tools....

Oh the Windows 10 version of Skype is freaking awful too
Yup. Tried using it, ran like garbage, with undisplayed messages, attachments which never arrived, lag, the works.
Went back to classic Skype and never looked back.
Also, Skype for Business is unmitigated shit.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Just be thankful your company doesn't use Skype for Business, what a complete piece of shit. I'll be glad when it moves over to being Teams

Yup, SFB is absolute trash. It's such a buggy piece of shit.

My wife's company uses Slack and the difference between the two is honestly night and day.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

My team went from Lync --> Skype for Business --> Slack and all of us couldn't be happier.

I've tested out Teams and it's really horrible with it's use of screen real estate.

I imagine we'll have to switch over to it eventually since my department recently got subscriptions to Office 365 for all employees.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Tried using it, ran like garbage, with undisplayed messages, attachments which never arrived, lag, the works.
Went back to classic Skype and never looked back.
Also, Skype for Business is unmitigated shit.

Classic Skype has security flaws that they have announced they won't fix, though. Effectively forcing you to switch to that garbage that is win10 Skype.

Haven't used teams but lync and Skype for business are terrible, my previous job had those and we had a slack, and no one ever used SFB.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

Thank you. I've been complaining about this since Windows 10 released.

The entire UI is horribly sized/spaced. HUGE ICONS and HUGE TEXT and massive swathes of vast empty space. Not only is the Windows 10 UI irritating to look at, it's inefficient and hard to work with.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

this post is so much fail.
If you think outlook is a trainwreck you need to check out IBM notes, yes people still use IBM notes. Outlook is pretty great. Office 365 is great. My wife's company uses zoom, doesnt seem any different than skype for business.

Slack is great , way better than Teams, but if your company is trying to save money it's probably a good move. Teams costs them 0$ while Slack is charging 300$+ dollars per user per year (1 user = 1 full member or multi-channel guest, even if you delete a member after a month it counts for the full year) for the entreprise grid solution.

And as some other persons mentioned, Teams isn't mature yet but could become quite good eventually.
holy shit, slack wants 300 bucks per user? That's insane.