• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
The problem of this sort of thing is that it will be available to a handful of select countries only.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
The lower spec is designed to play next ten games at 1080p 60FPS.

It's for people without the need for 4K.

It may be possible for Xbox one x to play next gen at 1080p 60? Anyways I would assume most games for at least a year after launch are going to be cross-gen games. I still think their better move would be make xbox one x the base with the new console able to do next-gen 4k 60, then release a pro when they stop with the cross-gen games. That's just my opinion looking from the outside, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Still think with two new consoles, its better for us. No one cursing they bought a new console when a couple years later they release a pro model.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It may be possible for Xbox one x to play next gen at 1080p 60? Anyways I would assume most games for at least a year after launch are going to be cross-gen games. I still think their better move would be make xbox one x the base with the new console able to do next-gen 4k 60, then release a pro when they stop with the cross-gen games. That's just my opinion looking from the outside, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Still think with two new consoles, its better for us. No one cursing they bought a new console when a couple years later they release a pro model.

The X is hamstrung by the CPU. Theoretically they can brute force stuff but I think the idea is two consoles that are easily scalable with the same CPU architecture. One for 4K one for 1080p. It's what I think they are aiming for.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
The X is hamstrung by the CPU. Theoretically they can brute force stuff but I think the idea is two consoles that are easily scalable with the same CPU architecture. One for 4K one for 1080p. It's what I think they are aiming for.
Ahh I see, I thought they had a significant jump for the cpu, now looking it up see the x is only about 30% more powerful.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Even if these are the real devkit specs, the retail specs will definitely differ.
Just the 12 core Zen processor uses two chiplets plus the IO chip, has a TDP of 105W and costs 499$, the price of an XBOX One X.

The GPU that produces 14TFLOPs in 7nm in AMD's lineup right now costs 700$ and consumes 300W. From what we know of Navi, at the same power as Vega it gets 25% extra frequency plus 25% extra IPC at the same power, which means Navi consumes the same power as Vega at the same TFLOP rating. (With 25% extra performance) So we would expect that GPU to be a 300W part (Including memory)

So, we have a machine that just from the CPU and GPU is 1200$, consumes more than 400W, now add 120$ for the SSD, plus the casing, the cooling, a 500W power supply...

I easily see that machine costing close to 2000$ when all is said and done.

Pease remember, the XBOX One X cost 499$, containing a GPU that had retailed for 199$ in mid-2016, a mechanical hard drive, and the same Jaguar CPU as the base console models.

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
If MS somehow can get Rare to become a Nintendo like studio again, I would get the new Xbox for sure. Hopefully a good Banjo 3 is a start.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Knew it they'd announce it at this E3, Sony isn't there, many 3rd party reveals will be made there and Scorpio was heavily teased a long time ahead of its release too, they'll dominate the E3 news cycle with ease.

Good for them.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
And the more expensive console will be handicapped by the weaker version, just like this gen with then mid gen models.

It's really annoying that the more popular cheaper one is going to be really weak and force devs to cater for it.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can confirm.

Will still be under the name scarlet for now.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Can confirm.

Will still be under the name scarlet for now.

giphy.gif

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
And the more expensive console will be handicapped by the weaker version, just like this gen with then mid gen models.

It's really annoying that the more popular cheaper one is going to be really weak and force devs to cater for it.

Source on the price and power level? Do you want to PM the mods to verify you?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I expect this will be the focus this year - on a strategy of playing what you want, where you want, be it PC, cloud, console - with an 'introduction' to ideas for their next generation consoles rather than a heavy focus on that.

I think next year will see a heavier focus on the next gen consoles. It's too early this year to go big on it, but it's not too early to talk about the wider 20,000ft strategy that - in MS's case - spans PC/console/xcloud.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017

Again, I just see things going even closer to PC and PC gamers are fine with their games needing multiple settings for multiple users.

As long as the games have a noticeable difference compared to the weaker and/or previous gen models, and are pushed with good marketing, then things should be fine.

I think next year will see a heavier focus on the next gen consoles. It's too early this year to go big on it, but it's not too early to talk about the wider 20,000ft strategy that - in MS's case - spans PC/console/xcloud.

I definitely agree that we will see a heavy focus on next gen consoles next year due to the boxes being new, but the signs have never been more blatant that these companies want you to get sucked into their services — especially in comparison to buying a console and only using it to play 3-4 retail titles per year without buying any digital content or subscriptions. People that are part of the latter still exist.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely agree that we will see a heavy focus on next gen consoles next year due to the boxes being new, but the signs have never been more blatant that these companies want you to get sucked into their services — especially in comparison to buying a console and only using it to play 3-4 retail titles per year without buying any digital content or subscriptions. People that are part of the latter still exist.

The average spend on consoles is super high now. It's a very lucrative/engaged market - and probably will continue to be. If new models of consumption do indeed reach new kinds of consumer rather than cannibalizing the existing bases it'll be interesting to see if they invest as much.

I think your point is true, however, that they all want ever more people subbed-in to services, especially those they can't reach with consoles. However I think we may see differences on the extent to which they prioritise consoles, or the roles they see in how a new generation of hardware should be leveraged for software. If it is indeed true that Microsoft is more interested in a common catalog of software that is relatively device agnostic (from xbox one through to lower-and-mid-range PCs through to anaconda through to high end PCs), and it is indeed true that Sony envisages leaning in heavily on next-gen specific experiences, then we might see different flavours to these strategies.

xCloud is based on Xbox One S specs.

Unless they are truly going to have no next-gen exclusives, and truly want to prioritise users per watt in their datacenter economics, then we should be seeing new hardware get mixed in to their cloud to support next-gen games.

I could see them using Lockhart for that rather than Anaconda, for efficiency/cost-control, but Anaconda as a source of the stream of higher paying subs might be an option they want to explore?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This so much. We should be lucky if we get 8 core ryzen,8-10TF GPU,16gb gddr6,SSD for 499$. I think we can't get better than this
Even that is very optimistic, imo. I don't think they can have more silicon budget than an XBOX One X at 499$, given how expensive 7nm silicon is, so I don't think they can have more GPU cores than it does.
So, from how Navi apparently works, that would be an extra 25% frequency (Up to 7.5 TFLOPs) and 25% extra IPC on top of that, so at the same power with the same number of CUs they can get the equivalent of 9TFLOPs at the same power allocated for the GPU.

As for the CPU, well, the 6C12T Ryzen 5 3600 that boosts at 4.2GHZ (Costing 199$) has a TDP of 65W. I think the Jaguar CPU in the XBOX One X must be using a lot less than that. So either these consoles use a lot more power than the XBOX One X, or it's more like a 4 core, 8 thread Ryzen at relatively low clocks. (Still a huge upgrade)

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
How do people discover these kind of details. Do they look over every part of the screen with a magnifying glass?

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Thanks for linking to Verge instead of the other cancerous ad-sites that have been reporting this.

In on all counts. If the Anaconda is 600 or less it's an insta-buy.

Phil you sly dog

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I will have to check this tonight - on a plane today during the MS conference. I doubt we will get too much information, though

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they didn't show just a teaser like they did with Project Scorpio..

You know they will

They (likely) don't have any content to highlight the tech yet.

You don't get it at all. The weaker one will be roughly half the power on GPU side ONLY. GPUs scale. 4K is 4x the amount of processing opposed to 1080p. The lower end unit is not going to be a negative factor at all.

Also if the anaconda version is 4K60, they could probably pull off 4K30 on lockhart for games that go that route

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping that if there is two skus there is one for 1080 and one for 4k. Because while I have a 4k TV I'm to damn blind to notice the difference.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be super excited if this is holiday 2019 or earlier. Just get way out in front of Sony.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
It kicks off in just over 5 hours, right?

Is there a pre-show and how long is it expected to last? 2 hours?