• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
This could be the case if SP games already already sold tons of millions at $60. They are the first to drop price at retail, and the first to have owners returned for new purchases.

I think this will be good for SP games because the majority already don't pay $60 to play it already, they either buy pre owned or wait for the price to drop, both solutions offer less revenue for the company than a $20 rental right away.
Some do usually your open world games which have longer playtime than games Dishonored and Wolfenstein. However you mentioned making more money upfront with rental but seem to be not be taking into account the money you would loss from those willing to pay full price. I believe price isn't the limiting factor with some of these games but the product itself.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
That pricing is just too good to be true. I would never buy games anymore (other than from great sales). I very rarely play a single game for over 3 months. I think Overwatch is the only one this gen.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. At least we know the next Xbox will launch with very solid features right out the box. Live just keeps getting better.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Xbox ecosystem is already the best in this industry on console. They keep pushing that.

The more options the better for everyone.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! I'm all for more options. $20 for 3 months seems really reasonable compared to paying $60 if you can beat the game within that amount of time. A nice alternative for folks who might buy games and trade them shortly after beating.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What if the rental option only appears 6-12 months after a game has been out?

Don't make it available at or near launch but rather as a way to get more people to check it out down the line in a way that gets some sort of revenue for the publisher and Microsoft and not a used game route.

Yeah, you're right. I hadn't considered that. If they can make it work then why not!

Renting from PSN or XBL digitally would be massively more convenient than having to futz around posting discs back to the store you rented them from.

Yeah, as much as I want to see this only through consumers' eyes, I slowly get the feeling that MS is opening Pandora's box.

It's a huge gamble on MS's behalf. If every consumer just starts buying GP/ rents games on a monthly basis for the time they spend with it, they're screwed.
Luckily subscription models traditionally work, because people loose all awareness over time when it comes to value. A subscription easily grows into a state where it's like paying for electricity, water and gas, if you don't
play x amount of hours in one or two months...no big deal.

If you know that you're usually done with a game after 3 months, just buy 3 months of Gamepass (=30$) instead of 60-70$ for the full "ownership". If this becomes the norm,
AAA single player games won't be the only ones to suffer, unless this industry has be lying to us for the last 10 years about dev-costs and so on.

Don't know about Sony, but I'm 100% sure that Nintendo will never do this, because they have a price/value philosophy on the opposite side of the spectrum. For good or for worse.

I guess I was speculating at a very worst case scenario. As the poster I quoted above pointed out, there are ways to make it work without perturbing the current model too much.

That my issue as well, obviously there dlc expansion but I don't believe the trade in lower cost will be overcome by increase number of purchases. I would love to know what the used marketplace is worth?

I think the used games market is in the billions of dollars. It's the only reason why stores like Gamestop still exist.

hmmm, ok, you make some good points. Im personally not a fan of that 20 or so currency for 3 months. I would lean more towards, five currency for like five days. at 20 or so bucks, you might as well wait for a sale or buy it second hand. 3 months i feel is too long. also as someone stated the rental doesnt have to go live when the game goes live. could be a month or two later. i dont really see AAA studiis making single player games already, so this model could be for a AA indie or such studio to shine. although they wont make that 20-30 or so currency from selling a 60 title, they could make it up with higher number of users renting it that wouldnt have given the game a chance at all at a 60 price.

I'm not sure if the prices or rental period in the OP are final, provided they're testing it. But I think $20 or so for 3 months is very generous.

Probably not. With digital rentals there will be licensing fees determined by each publisher. EA, for example, could very well decide that new releases aren't available for rental at all or even force customers to subscribe to EA Access before allowing rentals of new titles that don't already get a trial period. Furthermore, nobody has to make a rental available on day one. Rentals in any form haven't killed gaming so far. Why would they now?

I keep seeing Game Pass brought up and I'm not sure what people aren't getting. Game Pass doesn't have every single game released available and it never will. Is there something I'm missing?

This is pretty much the only way I can see third party publishers getting on board with something like this, tbh. I don't see why they'd want to risk their current revenue model for SP only or SP-focused games.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I read it as $21 a month for up to three months initially, which is why I guess people were talking about owning it after three months (having misread it as well).

Yeah I don't see how this makes any sense for any of the companies. There'd be no need for most people to buy single player games at all. I find myself revisiting most of my games months later whether due to DLC or liking a game enough to replay it, but I'd think in general people would be perfectly happy to be able to play through a game at no rush for 1/3 of the price.

Edit: Therefore I'd like people to elaborate on why they think this is such a horrible deal. For multiplayer games I think it's bad. Anything I will be playing for an extended period of time I'd rather buy, and I assume this is what people are referring to. But for a pure single player experience? This seems like a bad deal for those making money on the games. This is unless there is a belief that it brings in at least two renters who otherwise would not spend a dollar on the game for every would-be buyer who instead becomes a one time renter. I suppose they would actually only need an even lower ratio when considering the profit margin for game sales are far less than $60 USD when the middle man (retailer) is involved, so there would be a greater chance of the math working in favor of the publisher.

Last edited:

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how some may not play a game for that long and trade it in, the choice of "playing for a limited time" would actually be pretty good. Especially if it is a new game and you just want to play it for a little while and not spend $60 on it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That seems like a good idea, they can't offer that for every game without talking with the company though right?