• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to start this thread by saying I wish all affected by these layoffs the best and that you bounce back quickly.

apnews.com

Job cuts in tech sector spread, Microsoft lays off 10,000

Microsoft is cutting 10,000 workers, almost 5% of its workforce, as it joins other tech companies in a scaling back of their pandemic-era expansions.
Microsoft is cutting 10,000 workers, almost 5% of its workforce, joining other tech companies that have scaled back their pandemic-era expansions.

The company said it will also be making changes to its hardware portfolio and consolidating its leased office locations.
"While we are eliminating roles in some areas, we will continue to hire in key strategic areas," Nadella said. He emphasized the importance of building a "new computer platform" using advances in artificial intelligence.
"Quite frankly, we in the tech industry will also have to get efficient, right?" Nadella said. "It's not about everyone else doing more with less. We will have to do more with less. So we will have to show our own productivity gains with our own sort of technology."

View: https://twitter.com/six6jiang/status/1616542702396493846

View: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1615749864955969539

Last edited:

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
"Quite frankly, we in the tech industry will also have to get efficient, right?" Nadella said. "It's not about everyone else doing more with less. We will have to do more with less. So we will have to show our own productivity gains with our own sort of technology."
What a bunch of bullshit.

Seraphs

Banned
Sep 22, 2022
Aug 23, 2018
Overhiring during the pandemic leads to this type of fallout when the economy heads toward a recession unfortunately

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
the pandemic made all big tech hire like crazy, now that the market is settling down, theres not that much work to do

for comparision, tom warren posted this, microsoft almost doubled its workforce in a 4 years period.

2019: ~144,000 Microsoft employees
2020: ~163,000 Microsoft employees
2021: ~181,000 Microsoft employees
2022: ~221,000 Microsoft employees

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1615745289020751872?s=20&t=BdUSj2ULnD-JtnMbN-2mJw

Not sure how this necessitates mass layoffs

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we just see layoffs Microsoft like 2 months ago? And aren't they still raking I'm record profits every quarter? I just don't get it.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
How can a company that is posting record profits and acquiring others for billions upon billions of dollars in spare cash they have laying around justify firing that many people? Its a load of crap.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Not sure why this necessitates mass layoffs

It's really cynical. The same Microsoft is buying ABK for 70B USD and adding another 10000 employees.

It's not because they don't have money, their business is still growing and they are posting record profits. It's because they need to please their shareholders as the user before me implied. This has always been the case.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
10k people is a MASSIVE number, holy shit.

I really don't know why all big corps started to hire like crazy during COVID while knowing that eventually they will have to cut jobs in a couple of years?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't we just see layoffs Microsoft like 2 months ago? And aren't they still raking I'm record profits every quarter? I just don't get it.
It's not based on profits anymore. It's based on expectations. To keep their stock price growing, they need to "prove" to investors that they can squeeze as much revenue they can at a lower OPEX.

Welcome to Capitalism.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
A company that can't afford to pay its employees shouldn't be about to close one of the biggest acquisitions in history. You can either afford to spend billions on an acquistion or you can pay your employees.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Absolutely disgusting, how a company boasting record profits and acquiring other companies for billions of dollars justify sacking loads of people? What a load of bollocks.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Gotta love having to answer to shareholders. Perfect economy, no notes.

Everything is predicated on endless growth, its not enough to sustain record profits. Stock Market bloodsuckers always need more.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
IMG_5978.png

Their profits have literally never been higher
Spending 69bn$ to buy another company with around the same No of employees

MS absolutely don't need to do this
Corporations are gonna be corporations

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
the pandemic made all big tech hire like crazy, now that the market is settling down, theres not that much work to do

for comparision, tom warren posted this, microsoft almost doubled its workforce in a 4 years period.

2019: ~144,000 Microsoft employees
2020: ~163,000 Microsoft employees
2021: ~181,000 Microsoft employees
2022: ~221,000 Microsoft employees
Overhiring during the pandemic leads to this type of fallout when the economy heads toward a recession unfortunately

I really don't buy this. Seems like a convenient excuse to stop paying salaries for ten thousand people. Are you really telling me Microsoft, a company that has a million different teams working on a million different projects, simply couldn't find stuff for these people to do?

Maybe I'm just cynical but I can't take any corporate explanation for this shit at face value.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
IMG_5978.png

Their profits have literally never been higher
Spending 69bn$ to buy another company with around the same No of employees

MS absolutely don't need to do this
Corporations are gonna be corporations

Yeah, it's very, very funny that they're talking about "doing more with less" while also AGGRESSIVELY trying to buy one of the biggest publishers on the planet.

And by funny I mean blatantly hypocritical.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Wow so many people :(. Hope they can land on their feet very quick.
Also, fuck companies that fire employees even though they make billions in profit every year.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
i'm sorry but it will never make any sense how they need to fire 10,000 people while buying a company for 70 billion, investing 10 billion in OpenAI and more investments/acquisition. insane stuff. this sucks.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So many of these tech layoffs feel like they're only happening because other tech companies are laying people off, and so shareholders demand blood. Microsoft makes an absurd amount of money after all.

Hope everyone lands on their feet.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
They only "overhired" if you look at it from the point of view of management, which is the wrong way to look at it. Corporate profiteering is what drives inflation. Having employees eats into profits, so they are always the ones who take the fall. It's an active choice to lay people off to weaken the labor market so they can pay less for work.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
It's not based on profits anymore. It's based on expectations. To keep their stock price growing, they need to "prove" to investors that they can squeeze as much revenue they can at a lower OPEX.

Welcome to Capitalism.

Former Microsoft employee here, I saw it first hand. You'd sit in a meeting one day and talk about how we're making record profits and doing great and then they lay off a division a week later. It was so strange. Always told you're doing great and no one's job is in jeopardy until it is. My whole division was layed off 9 months after I left.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's not BS it's capitalism. It doesn't suck any less for the workers though.
The justification is BS, tho.

I know what you're saying. They did not overhire--you're just repeating their BS talking points. You don't need to parrot that shit like a lemming for corporations.

Wall Street just wants greater earnings per share price. To do that you can either increase revenues--not likely days, plus it is already knocked out of the park--or lower expenses. They did the latter.

"Overhiring" is just subtle gaslighting.

Just give it to me raw. We care about shareholders more than our employees and drop the facade.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I hope everyone lands on there feet. layoffs suck no matter the reason. ms has more then enough money to keep them employed.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
i'm sorry but it will never make any sense how they need to fire 10,000 people while buying a company for 70 billion, investing 10 billion in OpenAI and more investments/acquisition. insane stuff. this sucks.

Wait for them to encourage people to use ChatGPT in lieu of help from their former colleagues.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How can a company that is posting record profits and acquiring others for billions upon billions of dollars in spare cash they have laying around justify firing that many people? Its a load of crap.

Making record profits doesnt matter, they want all of the money and if they believe laying people off helps make that a reality they'll do it.

Grow, grow, grow, thats all that matters.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta appease the Wall Street gods.

Hope for a quick bounce back for those affected.

Witchcraft

Oct 9, 2022
One of the richest companies on earth, one that's actively trying to acquire another gaming company in one of the largest deals ever for 69bn, and they have to do this? Fuck off. Feel for all those laid off and hope they land on their feet quickly.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Use that quote about how they have to learn to do more with less to to block their acquisition of Activision Blizzard you useless fucks in the FTC

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Former Microsoft employee here, I saw it first hand. You'd sit in a meeting one day and talk about how we're making record profits and doing great and then they lay off a division a week later. It was so strange. Always told you're doing great and no one's job is in jeopardy until it is. My whole division was layed off 9 months after I left.
Job security is a myth sadly.

Long gone are the Company Man days or retiring with a Gold Watch.

This is why I laugh at all these Quiet Quitting, No One Wants Work narratives. Companies are transactional and don't care about you. Workers need to learn to have the same mindset.

Younger generations are learning this and corporations are getting mad.

You still see conservative talk about put on your "Work Boots" nonsense. It's brainwashing.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Making record profits doesnt matter, they want all of the money and if they believe laying people off helps make that a reality they'll do it.

Grow, grow, grow, thats all that matters.
Yup, shareholders want their investment to make them more and more money, only way to do that is continuously increase profits. Workers get laid off so the rich can get richer hiding their wealth in the market.