• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Really gross for a company to describe abusing other people as "acceptable" or saying deplorable things that puts them as the lowest shred of humanity as "going too far" as if the impulse to insult another player was fine to a point.
It doesn't encourage "healthy competition", it encourages people to stop playing because they don't want to be singled out and insulted for playing a game. Only a child would respond to a verbal assault with "I'll show you next game", most adults would walk away feeling unhappy with the game they played.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Because trash talk will always exist. Im glad they covered those grounds. Quick edit im sure we had a thread about trash talking recently.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Really gross for a company to describe abusing other people as "acceptable" or saying deplorable things that puts them as the lowest shred of humanity as "going too far" as if the impulse to insult another player was fine to a point.
It doesn't encourage "healthy competition", it encourages people to stop playing because they don't want to be singled out and insulted for playing a game. Only a child would respond to a verbal assault with "I'll show you next game", most adults would walk away feeling unhappy with the game they played.

What's a online game without a little banter and trash talking.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
"potato" is uhh actually slang for something else, based off of "I can count to potato." MS should probably rethink that one.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
People actually still do in game chat? I still miss the days of MW2 and the stuff people would say.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"potato" is uhh actually slang for something else, based off of "I can count to potato." MS should probably rethink that one.
i don't think that's the origin of the phrase 'potato aim' and I don't think that people generally make the connection that you're making here, either consciously or otherwise, when they hear the phrase 'potato aim'

anyway I'm not even sure what "I can Count to potato" means. Count Dracula is a vampire. how do you Count a Potato? Do you give it wax vampire teeth or something?

^^^ that's how silly it looked to me when you linked this common twitch bantz to a rare meme that happens to share one word, but that's mainly because I watch a decent amount of twitch and I know that the phrase is not slung around with the intent to demean someone's intelligence or mental state.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"That's ok. I think some day with practice you could actually be good" said in a very patient and encouraging voice to someone who's put in hundreds of hours of play

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've seen "potato" more often used for something super low quality or cheap. Eg. a "potato computer" being a super old one that can barely run games and take forever to load in multiplayer games.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen "potato" more often used for something super low quality or cheap. Eg. a "potato computer" being a super old one that can barely run games and take forever to load in multiplayer games.

I'm more accustom to it being used to describe less than intelligent teammates in many F2P games as a substitute for something else. But yeah, your interpretation is probably more in line with the majority.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Come on now, "abusing other people" is a bit strong. I think these guidelines are good, there's nothing wrong with a bit of banter and piss taking.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I am disappointed with the lack of Monkey Island pirate sword fighting memes. People can be really toxic in general, so them trying to hamper it and try to encourage "better" trash talk is good.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Come at me when you can make community standards intended to rein in toxic behavior without implicitly endorsing a limited form of that toxicity

I do like that they provide useful guidelines, but anyone who would say these sound like they would be toxic assholes that I'd block immediately (and probably report) anyway

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Someone not only had to write those acceptable trash talk guidelines they also had to publish them. This is so awkward.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017

Trash talk is as unavoidable as farting. Feels good, annoys everyone else and it's not going to stop anytime soon.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
When I play Apex with my friends we constantly shit talk our own potato aim

I'm always in party chat across all games to avoid hearing any of the examples provided by Microsoft.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Are these genuinely real guidelines or am I having a fever dream?

Edit* I should clarify, I am talking about the "acceptable" trash talk, not the other guidelines which are perfectly understandable.

Last edited: