• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Games Industry thinks Phil is not just talking about smartphones...

"When you think about reaching a customer with this content where their only compute device could be an Android phone, you think about, 'What are all the ways that person pays for content today'?" Spencer said. "So we need to make sure that we're world-class at free-to-play content, but we also look at subscription as a much lower barrier way for a customer to build a library of content.

"So we built Xbox Game Pass -- it started on console, it will come to PC, and eventually it will come to every device -- we use the flywheel that we have with customers on an Xbox to start the growth in Xbox Game Pass. But as somebody sitting back and taking a longer-term view of where our business is going, you should look at that as a business model that we think scales to billions of people not hundreds of millions of people like retail does."

However, the most interesting implication is that Microsoft might seek to bring its Game Pass service to PlayStation and Nintendo devices. Spencer's comments weren't limited to "console, then PC, then mobile" -- he instead said "every device".

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ncer-xbox-game-pass-will-come-to-every-device

Do you see Game Pass coming to other consoles? Do you think Sony and Nintendo will allow such service in their platforms?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Sony doesn't even want EA access even though it's an amazing deal. I can't see them ever going for something like that with Microsoft

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that was his implication and I don't think it will be on Sony or Nintendo systems -- it doesn't make much sense.

(but as usual people will overrate MS and Nintendo's relationship)

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I still don't get it.. To PC? How? Emulation? Streaming? They don't have the third party games in their store.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
GamePass for Switch feels like something that will happen eventually, given enough time

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony doesn't even want EA access even though it's an amazing deal. I can't see them ever going for something like that with Microsoft

I legit dont understand whats so amazing about ea access. Im yet to even use my trial on xb1.

on topic,
ms should start making multiplat games too while theyre at it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo want you to buy through their digital ecosystem, so I don't think they would allow it.

It could be a industry changing thing If it happened tho.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Long term plans would certainly include a streaming box and probably include TV integration. Of they achieve that kind of ubiquity then they won't need or care about getting on to other console platforms.

Sony will be aiming at the same thing.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yo hook me up with some Halo 3 on the Switch and you have yourself a deal my man!

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
And Sony wants PlayStation Now on every platform as well, but not everyone can get what they want, can they?

It's quite possible the cloud services will be pushed on all consoles.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Imagine playing Gears of War 5 on a launch Nintendo Switch through remote play.

Do not really see it happening, but boy that sure would be neat!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
He obviously means every device that will allow xCloud. That's clearly not PlayStation or Switch.

But your smart TV, streaming stick, phone, tablet, laptop, sure

PS Now was already available on Sony's TVs for a while but they stopped it. Not sure whether that says more about PS Now or the market for this kind of thing.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It could happen, if Microsoft accepts the same terms every other third party publisher does when releasing content or streamed content on consoles.

And if the other platform holders can hold their nose on the fact that this 'third party' is also marketing their own console platforms/devices/storefronts, and are competing with them on streaming.

The latter considerations might be the stumbling block - probably would be the stumbling block.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
What ? doesn't make any sense, who would want a Xbox console if all their games are coming to sony platforms, are they crazy ?

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
He obviously means every device that will allow xCloud. That's clearly not PlayStation or Switch.

But your smart TV, streaming stick, phone, tablet, laptop, sure

PS Now was already available on Sony's TVs for a while but they stopped it. Not sure whether that says more about PS Now or the market for this kind of thing.
Precisely.

All types of 'devices'. Not literally competing platforms.

Case closed.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo wouldn't be down for gamepass. The devaluing of videogames is something Nintendo has always been against.

And that's without getting in to throwing away all that revenue from third party releases on your platform and giving a chunk of it to microsoft would be an insane idea for either Sony or Nintendo

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If only Game Pass was available on the PS4 when that Rise of the Tomb Raider timed exclusivity was announced. Imagine all the hullabaloo and controversy that could've been avoided.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, no way.

He said "every device" meaning Xbox, PC, smartphones. Do you really think they would make it available on PlayStation? :D

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that'd just be the equivalent of going 3rd party, which MS clearly aren't doing. Bit of a stretch or Phil just talking bollocks.

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
What ? doesn't make any sense, who would want a Xbox console if all their games are coming to sony platforms, are they crazy ?

It doesn't appear that they care about that anymore. They're only looking at it from the standpoint that you will still have to pay them money every month and probably still need a paid Xbox Live sub to play online in Game Pass. Selling Xbox hardware seems like an afterthought now.

It almost feels like MS are leaving the console business without really leaving the console business. It's weird.