• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
That's some strange conclusion from GI.biz to immediately think about PlayStation and Nintendo.

"So we built Xbox Game Pass -- it started on console, it will come to PC, and eventually it will come to every device."

Because with this sentence structure it's clear that he's talking about device types and that MS obviously already consider the console device type covered.

"Spencer's comments weren't limited to "console, then PC, then mobile" -- he instead said "every device".

There are other device types than those 3...

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be on Playstation as they have their own competing service.

Nintendo is possible, but they could also launch their own streaming service next gen.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Maybe they want out of the business of selling black rectangular boxes and instead just want to print money with a games delivery service.

Don't really see it happening but the future is likely to be all streaming anyway so this might be a hint towards that future. I think it's a stretch to assume he means Nintendo/Sony platforms though.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
That's some strange conclusion from GI.biz to immediately think about PlayStation and Nintendo.

"So we built Xbox Game Pass -- it started on console, it will come to PC, and eventually it will come to every device."

Because with this sentence structure it's clear that he's talking about device types and that MS obviously already consider the console device type covered.

"Spencer's comments weren't limited to "console, then PC, then mobile" -- he instead said "every device".

There are other device types than those 3...

Agree. Think VR/AR, media boxes, Macs, etc.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've thought Game Pass for Switch using streaming would be a good way of bypassing the hardware issues third parties have with the device.

The deal would have to be very sweet for Nintendo to allow it though.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe this whole cloud is to put game pass on cloud like ps now and try to put it on as many devices as they can ? Sony and Nintendo won't allow it of course ,as Sony will have psnow amped up for next gen and Nintendo will have something similar as well I m sure .

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I don't think Game Pass will come to anything beyond PC and maybe some TVs, quite honestly. It wouldn't even work on Android phones unless it's streaming. But then, PS Now is on Windows PCs, too...

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
This quote is being misinterpreted, he's never once mentioned Sony or Nintendo specifically, he clearly means having a presence in each sector, so consoles with Xbox, PC with Windows, and Phone/Tablet with GamePass/ Project Xcloud.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What ? doesn't make any sense, who would want a Xbox console if all their games are coming to sony platforms, are they crazy ?
If you asked Microsoft how many Xbox consoles they'd sell in their ideal Xbox business model, they'd say zero.

The entire Xbox hardware range is a means to an end. If they get the opportunity to just directly sell you the end, they'll do that.

Will quote you on a few years.
He'll be right. No matter how much Microsoft might want to have their services available on Sony and/or Nintendo platforms, Sony and Nintendo aren't that stupid. It'd be like a restaurant allowing other food vendors to open concession stands right in the middle of the premises.

Yeah, that'd just be the equivalent of going 3rd party, which MS clearly aren't doing. Bit of a stretch or Phil just talking bollocks.
It's probably best not to worry too much about whether Microsoft view themselves as being a first party platform holder or a third party publisher. Microsoft will still sell consoles because there will still be plenty of people who want consoles. However, they will use their existing console brand and library and presence to expand onto lots of other platforms where they are not the platform holder. They won't be worried about this.

We see this already with Sony. PlayStation Now is on PC. I imagine it will inevitably appear on smartphones. Sony will not worry about whether that makes them a third party.

It won't be on Playstation as they have their own competing service.

Nintendo is possible, but they could also launch their own streaming service next gen.
Nintendo have their own competition for Game Pass as well - the entire Switch software range. Every games delivery mechanism available to a consumer is competing with all the others, directly or indirectly. That's why both Sony and Nintendo won't be allowing Microsoft into their walled gardens.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world, I can see Xbox Game Pass coming to all consoles but we need to get there first. SONY and Nintendo need to see that this is a win win for everyone.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What ? doesn't make any sense, who would want a Xbox console if all their games are coming to sony platforms, are they crazy ?
To be fair Xbox is becoming more platform agnostic, the hardware sales from Xbox is insignificant for them. They're gonna rake their cash from subs and mtx. That's pretty much what they're doing with their Office suite, OS etc

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
People are insane if they think Nintendo would allow Gamepass from MS on their system. If it ever comes to that Nintendo will make their own service.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If it were to ever come to the PS4 (and/or PS5) why would anyone ever have a need to buy an Xbox?
Same reason you would get a Scorpio over a Pro,
Specs in the box.

I don't think this will come to PS5, Sony is too damn proud to let that happen, they will continue the anti consumer trend. Nintendo on the other hand I believe will allow it and that will help the Switch sell millions more.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You have to be thinking in a colorless manner, to read that quote and see Microsoft saying that they will stay in the hardware business, yet allow you to play their games on other consoles for $9.99 a month.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Not in the way they want. Currently you subscribe to Xbox Gamepass and it just so happens you can play the Play Anywhere titles included in that on your PC. It's not totally what they have in mind.
I came here to ask about this too. I don't have an Xbox but I'm interested in PC game pass, just not sure if I should look into it at the moment.

People are insane if they think Nintendo would allow Gamepass from MS on their system. If it ever comes to that Nintendo will make their own service.
Agreed. All I want is a Steam streaming app on Switch which I don't think will ever happen.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Problem with all these services their saying is the "'future'" is it will end up too many subscriptions. All the companies will be asking for x dollars a month, and the games will all be on on their own publishers services. So much for one particular "'netflix of games''

Might stick to one service if its good, but will buy them as normal I think

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Ps now was like that .weird Sony removed it from all smart TVs .was there a reason Sony did that 1 year ago ?
It probably wasn't getting the numbers that they wanted. Gaming on smart TVs needs some kind of big push to take off and Sony weren't in a position to provide that push, so rather than maintain lots of different versions of the PlayStation Now client on lots of different platforms, they consolidated. Since then they've considerably evolved the service by adding PS4 games, growing the library significantly and adding the ability to download games. It's a much better service now than it was back then so maybe they'll start looking at expanding it again in the near future.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably best not to worry too much about whether Microsoft view themselves as being a first party platform holder or a third party publisher. Microsoft will still sell consoles because there will still be plenty of people who want consoles. However, they will use their existing console brand and library and presence to expand onto lots of other platforms where they are not the platform holder. They won't be worried about this.

We see this already with Sony. PlayStation Now is on PC. I imagine it will inevitably appear on smartphones. Sony will not worry about whether that makes them a third party.
You'll never see PS Now on another console platform, I really doubt you see Gamepass on either too, as they'd have to go full 3rd party and release stuff outside of the sub service too for it to work.

Unless they go full Sony and lock out exclusives or features to the other platforms (like PC PS Now can't download PS4 games, like the PS4 version can), but in that case neither Sony or Nintendo would care.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
He probably did not mean other consoles. But more like all the devices we are surrounded daily. Smartphones, tablets, TVs.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was just Microsoft games then I could see Nintendo potentially having no problem with it, but it also includes a bunch of third party games. If these games are already available on their systems, I can't imagine why Sony or Nintendo would let Microsoft rent them out to people. All it does is either take sales opportunities away from them, or forces them to split rental money with Microsoft when they are already capable of doing it by themselves.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
You have to be thinking in a colorless manner, to read that quote and see Microsoft saying that they will stay in the hardware business, yet allow you to play their games on other consoles for $9.99 a month.

Well we know they are working on a new console, a couple in fact. So they will at least be in it for another generation.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
the only other console that has even the slightest dream to have it is Switch and they probably wont call it "Xbox Gamepass" similar to how EA changes the name on xbox and PC to suit each.

PS still doesnt even want to give people the option of EA access so that aint happening no matter how good it would be for the player.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Problem with all these services their saying is the "'future'" is it will end up too many subscriptions. All the companies will be asking for x dollars a month, and the games will all be on on their own publishers services. So much for one particular "'netflix of games''

Might stick to one service if its good, but will buy them as normal I think

You could probably just carry on buying the stuff you wanted like you can now with DVDs and CDs despite their being absolutely tons of different subscription services for music and film/TV. Game Pass isn't stopping people selling their games to non subscribers in the same way that Netflix isn't stopping making DVDs of Stranger Things and HBO arent stopping making DVDs of Game of Thrones for non subscribers.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why they couldn't do it. Sony allows other video platforms on their store like Netflix and Hulu despite having their own service as well. I could see it working if it's cloud streaming.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
It's news like this that makes me think the Xbox becoming something other than just a hardware maker is a good thing. As a software and service company, fuck.. they reach some heights. (Though the gaming storefront idea might be extremely difficult with Epic entering the ring)

I think Sony would be the massive wrench into those plans and not let their service on their hardware. Nintendo, I can see them going along with it.

Cohesivestraw

Oct 29, 2017
I've thought Game Pass for Switch using streaming would be a good way of bypassing the hardware issues third parties have with the device.

The deal would have to be very sweet for Nintendo to allow it though.
I don't know if this will ever happen. It is my dream though. Growing up everyone said Nintendo was for kids but as I hit my late 30's I have more fun with Mario than Rd2. If I could every once in a while play Halo on my switch I would go strictly Nintendo for sure. Sea of theives would be awesome too. I have everything but Xbox and I want to play their games so bad I just can't drop another 200 on a 3rd console.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
You know Sony aint fuckin with you like this when they didnt even want to crossplay with you.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why they couldn't do it. Sony allows other video platforms on their store like Netflix and Hulu despite having their own service as well.

Only because they have to. Customers would be lost otherwise. Same for apple having to offer amazon apps, but not steam streaming app.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it happens, there's the issue where a huge incentive of Game Pass is first party games. Microsoft are not going to develop their games on PS5/Switch, and their streaming solution seems to be a separate thing (and it's still a streaming solution if they happen to use it)

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it happens, there's the issue where a huge incentive of Game Pass is first party games. Microsoft are not going to develop their games on PS5/Switch, and their streaming solution seems to be a separate thing (and it's still a streaming solution if they happen to use it)

First party games wouldn't have to be running locally on switch or ps5, so what is the issue?

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Bringing their service to every available platform seems logical to me and Sony will try the same in my opinion. It's all about the service money nowadays.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bringing their service to every available platform seems logical to me and Sony will try the same in my opinion. It's all about the service money nowadays.
I don't think either are that desperate yet and wouldn't want to harm their true money maker, Gold and PS+. Though I guess there's no timetable on this and who knows what the market will be this time next gen.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Microsoft sell Xboxes only so that they can sell Xbox games and services.

If they can jump directly to selling you the games and services they will happily do so.
Isn't it the other way around? The profit margins for consoles would be far greater than games.

Regardless, I think MS have seen how profitable services like Netflix can be and want to get in on the ground floor with that. I'm sure Amazon and in particular Blockbuster a kicking themselves that they didn't do it 1st.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft owns Windows and has a plan to make their store THE store for Windows software via uwp, and Xbox brand will be part of that push. If successful, there is literally no need for game specific hardware or even game production. Making Windows store like the apple store, either one, would be a huge win.

Sony has to get people to buy hardware or they don't get the platform holder tax.