• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it the other way around? The profit margins for consoles would be far greater than games.
Profit margins for consoles are generally tiny and often negative. Console manufacturers are happy enough to make money from them when they can but the entire purpose of selling the box is to sell games, collect royalties on other company's games on the platform, and nowadays also to sell services and subscriptions and provide a storefront.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Though I guess there's no timetable on this and who knows what the market will be this time next gen.

Yep, this will definitely not entirely happen next gen at all. The gen afterwards will be more interesting in this regard as i could easily see the console manufacturer going full digital with streaming only.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
MS: Just make your big games available with regular pricing on PC, day 1. I really don't need to subscribe to a service, just buy the games i want instead.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
You need a really big game to push this on the other consoles something big like Fifa or Tes

Feb 10, 2018
The person who wrote the article is reaching a bit.
"Every device" could just mean every device category like PC, console (Xbox), phone, TV, tablet, Tesla car etc.
However if it did end up on playstation my first thought is that there's no need for Xbox consoles, but streaming is not the best quality so a certain group of gamers would still want a Xbox console.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I legit dont understand whats so amazing about ea access. Im yet to even use my trial on xb1.

That's your problem, right there.

ms should start making multiplat games too while theyre at it.

Minecraft?

MS: Just make your big games available with regular pricing on PC, day 1. I really don't need to subscribe to a service, just buy the games i want instead.

Where have you been all this while?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even if this did somehow come to the PS4 or Switch, it loses its biggest USP, the day one exclusive games. I wonder how well it would do.

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like having gamepass on switch would not be good for Xbox? if you own a ps4/5 and a switch with gamepass, then you could play every console exclusive, you wouldn't need to have an xbox

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I legit dont understand whats so amazing about ea access. Im yet to even use my trial on xb1.

on topic,
ms should start making multiplat games too while theyre at it.
EA Access is great if you like sports games and don't mind waiting a bit. Origin Access on PC is quite a bit better as it has a lot more 3rd party games. Plus since Madden is now on PC it will become even better.

For GamePass, wording makes me think they are going to do streaming as part of it for mobile.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the angle Pachter talks about often on Pachter Factor: TVs will one day be powerful enough to do streaming video games, so all you would need is an Xbox controller (with a dongle for your TV, perhaps) and the Game Pass subscription and you are playing video games. For that large, untapped market that doesn't want to spend $200+ upfront to play video games, a $50 controller and subscription sounds just right. It won't be the best gaming experience (that would be why you get a console or streaming box), but it'll be good enough for people to buy in.

I doubt it's a "Xbox consoles for sales but get Game Pass on Playstation too" route. But hell, if there was ever a chance to play Xbox and Playstation games on one console, I'm down for that future. Especially if I can use the Xbox controller.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Would be great to have all content everywhere, but I don't see possible any xbox pass on N or S consoles...
But a xbox pass for phone+pc+tv, maybe in a form of "streaming service" like psnow to avoid the user the need to have powerful devices to play the games.

So basically PSNOW with xbox games...

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sony and Nintendo wouldn't let it, but I'm sure Ms would love.

I think they are just reading into too much. Mobile is not the only device with potential for expansion... TVs, stand alone VR helmets... They probably want to bring it every where they can.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I can imagine Microsoft wanting to release Game Pass on Playstation/Nintendo devices, but I can't imagine either of them, especially Sony, allowing it. Too many complications from mixed online services, in-app purchases and who gets what cut from where, it would be a nightmare to figure out.

But I do believe that one day all games will eventually be on one streaming "netflix for games" platform and console wars will be a thing of the past. Probably not within 10 years though.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the angle Pachter talks about often on Pachter Factor: TVs will one day be powerful enough to do streaming video games, so all you would need is an Xbox controller (with a dongle for your TV, perhaps) and the Game Pass subscription and you are playing video games.
We've passed that point already. Sony and Samsung TVs had the PlayStation Now app built in for a while until Sony discontinued it.

The problem is that most people who care about playing games on their TV already have one or more boxes dedicated to doing exactly that (and those boxes offer gaming performance that is flatly superior to streaming). People who don't care about playing games on their TV aren't part of the potential market for this, so this kind of service on TVs is limited to people who want to play games, don't have a console already, aren't planning on buying one, but are okay with buying a controller.

There's big potential there to be tapped by someone, eventually, but the market needs a kick to get it moving and so far nobody has been able to provide that kick. I expect that the first big movement towards making TVs into mainstream games devices won't come from consoles, it'll come from smartphones.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
This really reduces the need to buy an Xbox if you can play their games on any platform.

Presumably Microsoft thinks they can make more money through Game Pass subscriptions than they'll lose from 3rd party game revenue from people moving to other platforms .

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I don't think they are talking about Gamepass on Switch or Playstation. I think they mean Xbox, PC, Android and iOS (their cloud platforms). If you remember during E3 Phil said "Not only that we are dedicated to perfecting your gaming experience on your Xbox, PC, and your Phone." If you are expecting Halo PlayStation or Switch that isn't gonna happen. As for "every device" I think it was a slip up.

EDIT: In other words they are talking about all of their platforms Xbox, Windows, and Azure Cloud

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this. Fuck EA Access. Fuck PlayStation Now.

Christ, gaming companies are trying their damndest to copy the movie and TV industry right now and it's going to make us end up with a dozen different services all with segregated content packages.

The commoditization of games is a future we don't want.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well, I can already play every NES and SNES game on my XB1. So, it's only fair that I would get to play every (Game Pass) Xbox game on my Nintendo Switch!

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
I look forward to the day when I can have a mini pc device where i can stream both Gamepass, My Steam Library, PS Now & hopefully Nintendo streaming service along with emulators of past systems and arcades I will be a happy and consolidate them in one space even if all combined subscriptions ran me 50-60 a month I wouldn't care because I buy a game or two a month anyway.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Christ, gaming companies are trying their damndest to copy the movie and TV industry right now and it's going to make us end up with a dozen different services all with segregated content packages.

What's this 'we' shit? What works and what sells is what 'we' apparently want so maybe just speak for yourself.

Microsoft sees the value in the services and software, not the hardware, and hey are not alone. Sony and Nintendo on the other hand see gaming as their main revenue so of course they will be more guarded.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it'll ever happen as long as they're in the console business, but if it does that means I'll never buy a Microsoft console again if I can play it on my PS5.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo can't even implement a basic infrastructure to their online let alone include game pass from another company lol.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Why not? You speak way, way too broadly. The fire and brimstone act is great on Sundays but otherwise rings silent.

I want this, because I think this is the path forward as we "slowly" convert to digital. I love streaming. I love Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. I love Spotify and iTunes (sort of). I have absolutely no problem spending 3 seconds switching apps; in fact, it's likely the same amount of time used swapping discs--maybe less!

Don't be so presumptive.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Makes sense, I'm sure it will happen eventually as streaming comes of age. Gamepass in handheld on Switch would be sweet provided it works.

Oct 26, 2017
That would mean all the upcoming exclusives from all the new studios would be going to all other platforms too? Don't believe that for a second.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I guess he means game pass games via streaming unless he is hinting that MS are about to go full third party and release their first party games on other consoles.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

We? 🤔

I want that future 😈

Oct 26, 2017
People are insane if they think Nintendo would allow Gamepass from MS on their system. If it ever comes to that Nintendo will make their own service.

Plus let's be real here. How is Switch going to play all these games like Gears 4, Halo 5, the FH games without the need for a significant downgrade from the developer? Nah.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one welcome a future where I play on my Xbox at home in native 4K, on the comfy couch and with the great controller, and when I'm elsewhere I either play the same game natively with inferior graphics on a handheld or something, or even in streaming on a mobile or a tablet if the kind of game I'm playing is ideal with that tech.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Like I personally wouldn't be surprised seeing a Xbox Game App on Switch if the relationship between the two stay good and MS is giving Nintendo a cut of profits. Even if it's only for the 1st party titles only from MS.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The idea that MS would bring Gamepass and all their exclusives day and date to PlayStation and Nintendo Consoles is ridiculous. Yes, MS wants you to subscribe to Gamepass, but I highly doubt they would want to support their competitors platforms with their latest games. Sony and Nintendo likely wouldn't want it either. They want you buying games in their ecosystems, and using their subscriptions. It makes no sense for any parties involved unless MS intends to exit the Console race. Nothing really suggests that will happen anytime soon.

This seems to be a massive stretch. As far as I can tell, Spencer was simply referring to bringing Game pass to Mobile, PC, etc. via streaming, not PS4 and Switch.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the only way I see Game Pass happening on the Switch or Playstation 4 is if they'd give their own in exchange as in PS Now on Xbox One or "Nintendo game service" on Xbox One. Unfortunately the later doesn't exist yet, lol.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Games Industry thinks Phil is not just talking about smartphones...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ncer-xbox-game-pass-will-come-to-every-device

Do you see Game Pass coming to other consoles? Do you think Sony and Nintendo will allow such service in their platforms?

I'd say no and how to those.

No, for Sony, because there is no way they would want any earnings diverting to a direct competitor which would then allow said competitor get leverage in dealing with the actual products they sell.

How, for Nintendo. PS4 & Xbox are fairly interchangable in terms of hardware standards and software. Nintendo usually stands alone in its own little world, which Microsoft would have to somehow adapt to cater for. And then also back to No.

Cengizhan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
I was thinking about this a while ago and it seems like Phil Spencer is totally pivoting the Xbox brand. It is not just about manufacturing and selling consoles with great exclusive IP's anymore. It seems more like Xbox will be some sort of umbrella brand where you know you can go to for gaming anything. And the wonderful thing? If it is up to Microsoft, the platform does not matter. As long as you have a Xbox Game Pass subscription, you can enjoy those games on any device. And I really think the power lies therein. I do not own a Xbox One, nor am I planning to buy the next Xbox console. But if Game Pass was available on Nintendo Switch I would totally buy it. Tons of great games I've never had the opportunity to play on my favorite console of the moment through the cloud. It seems highly unlikely this is going to happen, since I do not expect other console manufacturers to allow for this kind of service on their platforms.

But I really like where this is going and I really think it will give the Xbox brand and IP's more exposure.