• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Same reason you would get a Scorpio over a Pro,
Specs in the box.

I don't think this will come to PS5, Sony is too damn proud to let that happen, they will continue the anti consumer trend. Nintendo on the other hand I believe will allow it and that will help the Switch sell millions more.
I don't think you know what anti-consumer means. The only way I see this going to PS or Nintendo is if MS stops making hardware and I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Same reason you would get a Scorpio over a Pro,
Specs in the box.

I don't think this will come to PS5, Sony is too damn proud to let that happen, they will continue the anti consumer trend. Nintendo on the other hand I believe will allow it and that will help the Switch sell millions more.

Sony may do a lot of dumb stuff, but having Xbox games on their platform wouldn't be one of them.

Why would Sony say no to a reason that let's people pick up the PS system over the competitors box?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
He clearly didn't mean Sony and Nintendo devices on that sentence

The autor of the article stretched the interpretation a little

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Spencer is just talking about streaming to any device, like your phone, your TV, tablet or laptop etc he has said this before multiple times.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sony may do a lot of dumb stuff, but having Xbox games on their platform wouldn't be one of them.

Why would Sony say no to a reason that let's people pick up the PS system over the competitors box?
Sony would obviously allow Microsoft to publish their games on PlayStation platforms, but hell would have to freeze over before they'd allow XGP on PlayStation. XGP is a direct competitor to Sony's service, PlayStation Now.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? You speak way, way too broadly. The fire and brimstone act is great on Sundays but otherwise rings silent.

I want this, because I think this is the path forward as we "slowly" convert to digital. I love streaming. I love Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. I love Spotify and iTunes (sort of). I have absolutely no problem spending 3 seconds switching apps; in fact, it's likely the same amount of time used swapping discs--maybe less!

Don't be so presumptive.
This is worse than the tv/movie situation. Film and television studios don't have unilateral control over how their content is played (and there are so many of them), so physical releases can't be phased out. With gaming its three big companies that control the hardware, also put out a ton of games, and are surrounded by 4 large publishers and a sparse handful of smaller ones that publish the vast majority of games.

The game industry has a stated interest and intention to leave physical media behind. When that happens costs for the consumer will balloon and all pretense of ownership and games-as-art vanishes.

You might think you want this future, but you really don't. No one who cares about games as an artform does.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Sony ever be silly enough to allow Game Pass on their own system? Seems insane to even think about.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have a Game Pass subscription and it is miles better than any other streaming service I've used. Better than Netflix, better than Amazon Prime, better than that tapered release of NES roms that Nintendo is doing. My only issue is that it isn't the actual Xbox Gold service (which I don't have). A subscription-based games library with online support is the future. Who gives a fuck about the machine.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's not talking about Nintendo or Sony hardware.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Wait. Are people really entertaining the thought of Gamepass on competing consoles? That's not what Phil meant. Thought that much was obvious.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well there we have it. I just made a post posturing this very idea a week or so ago. Would make sense for anyone with a streaming platform to be in as many places as possible.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
True, but it means I get to save a HDMI port and I can barrel through a game so I'd on;y buy a few months a year

exactly. The tons pS4/switch users buying a a few months of GamePass a year would make them a lot more money than these same users not spending any money in the Xbox ecosystem at all.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
This is absolutely genius. Microsoft has made millions with gamepass just on Xbox. Can you imagine that revenue coming from smartphones, Switch, PC, and possibly PS4.. it's the future of gaming.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this. Fuck EA Access. Fuck PlayStation Now.

Christ, gaming companies are trying their damndest to copy the movie and TV industry right now and it's going to make us end up with a dozen different services all with segregated content packages.

The commoditization of games is a future we don't want.

Speak for yourself. I love these programs, not having to buy games is saving me ton of money. I've already made my money back and more by not having to buy Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Forza Horizon 4, Mutant Year Zero and more.

It's an option, I don't see the issue.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont know why some say it doesnt make sense to be on other consoles, it makes perfect sense if your thinking big picture. All consoles makers, well at least Sony and Microsoft are thinking of a streaming future and eventually console hardware will be a thing of the past. If you can put some of your touted games on other platforms and reach more ppl tht means more revenue/profit.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they want to. They want to own the gaming business which of course was their intent when entering the business years ago. Shouldn't be a surprise for anyone. :)

I for one do not want anyone to be the Spotify/Apple Music of gaming.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Xbox Gamepass, perfect for Switch.

In all seriousness, MS is really forwardthinking with this and they definitely have the infrastructure to handle basically all the gaming devices on the world connecting to their service.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is absolutely genius. Microsoft has made millions with gamepass just on Xbox. Can you imagine that revenue coming from smartphones, Switch, PC, and possibly PS4.. it's the future of gaming.

Game Pass isn't going to be on PS4 or Switch. There is no reason for either to allow that to happen.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
You have to be thinking in a colorless manner, to read that quote and see Microsoft saying that they will stay in the hardware business, yet allow you to play their games on other consoles for $9.99 a month.

MS is in the business of selling software and services. Selling Console hardware is just a means to that end.

If they can lower the barrier of entry into their ecosystem by reducing their need to sell plastic boxes, they'll make A LOT more money. It's no different from a them putting MS Office in the Apple app store- even though they still sell windows and windows devices

If console makers would allow it, MS would be all for it. If Xcloud works through the browser...

Last edited:

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MS is in the business of selling software and services. Selling Console hardware is just a means to that end.

If they can lower the barrier of entry into their ecosystem by reducing their need to sell plastic boxes, they'll make A LOT more money. It's no different from a them putting MS Word in the Apple app store- even though they sell windows and windows devices

MS Word on the app store is not a direct assault on Apple's business. Having Game Pass on Switch or PS4 is like MS opening up a competing app store on iPhone. Apple wouldn't allow that, neither will Sony or Nintendo.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Game Pass isn't going to be on PS4 or Switch. There is no reason for either to allow that to happen.

Who needs to "allow" this to happen? When you can use a web browser to stream games to your device, there's not a whole lot the offended party can do about it. I can play ALL NES and SNES games on my XB1 and there's nothing Nintendo can do about it. I can also stream PC/Steam games to my Switch, and short of gimping the entire web browser (which only Nintendo can do), there's nothing Steam or PC game devs/studios can do about it.

https://rainway.io/

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who needs to "allow" this to happen? When you can use a web browser to stream games to your device, there's not a whole lot the offended party can do about it. I can play ALL NES and SNES games on my XB1 and there's nothing Nintendo can do about it. I can also stream PC/Steam games to my Switch, and short of gimping the entire web browser, there's nothing Steam or PC game devs/studios can do about it.

https://rainway.io/

Clearly I'm talking about official support.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Just let my next premium Xbox stream it locally to my iPad on nights where I don't wanna leave the bed.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Lol, no way.

He said "every device" meaning Xbox, PC, smartphones. Do you really think they would make it available on PlayStation? :D

I think he intended Xbox, PC and smartphones but in my mind i believe Microsoft would be fine with all their services on all platforms, rival consoles too. Their goal is to win on services, not hardware.

Much like Windows where they don't care which manufacturer gets it as long as they are on board, and even on mobile they brought their apps to Android and iOS, giving up with their Windows mobile.

Sony doesn't even want EA access even though it's an amazing deal. I can't see them ever going for something like that with Microsoft

I imagine the deal was the same one they brought previously on Nintendo, if so they made the right choice. lol

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How does OneCast actually work, though. You use it?

I use R-Play which is the OneCast equivalent on PS4. I bought a clip to attach my DS4 to my iPhone and I've played through God of War, Spider-Man and RDR2 70-80% over streaming. It works great. I can't speak to the Xbox one but I'm guessing you'll get similar results if your wifi network is good.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
By other devices I'm going to assume TVs and cable boxes. Sounds like there will be even less of a reason to own an Xbox in the future. Assuming they're still making them years from now.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I use R-Play which is the OneCast equivalent on PS4. I bought a clip to attach my DS4 to my iPhone and I've played through God of War, Spider-Man and RDR2 70-80% over streaming. It works great. I can't speak to the Xbox one but I'm guessing you'll get similar results if your wifi network is good.
Nice. So, I have a 25/1.5 connection. My Xbox One X is wired, but I don't know if that is good enough.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
MS Word on the app store is not a direct assault on Apple's business. Having Game Pass on Switch or PS4 is like MS opening up a competing app store on iPhone. Apple wouldn't allow that, neither will Sony or Nintendo.

I was speaking from MS perspective.

Anyway, MS office does compete with apple's own offering. Apple doesn't give a shit though because they are in the business of profiting from the distribution of 3rd party software.

If Sony could sell a PS5 and not have to worry about losing a customer because they want to go play Halo 6, I think they'd potentially see value in allowing GP. Where issues would arise is the overlap of 3rd party games that MS and Sony both distribute in their respective stores - Which I imagine would be blocked.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice. So, I have a 25/1.5 connection. My Xbox One X is wired, but I don't know if that is good enough.

Yeah you should give it a try... I think the app is $12 though so just be ready to toss that cash if the app doesn't work well for you.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because thankfully its an open platform and you can still own games by buying them without DRM or stripping the DRM from games you have bought. No such options exist easily anywhere else.
Right, that's my point though. No matter what consoles do, indies can still make what they want and release it on PC. I dont see that ever changing.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was speaking from MS perspective.

Anyway, MS office does compete with apple's own offering. Apple doesn't give a shit though because they are in the business of profiting from the distribution of 3rd party software.

If Sony could sell a PS5 and not have to worry about losing a customer because they want to go play Halo 6, I think they'd potentially see value in allowing GP. Where issues would arise is the overlap of 3rd party games that MS and Sony both distribute in their respective stores - Which I imagine would be blocked.

Yeah and we see that already on consoles. MS has no problem releasing Minecraft on other platforms.

I think the issue is how would Game Pass exist on PS4 and Switch? To me they would have to limit it to first party only and also figure a way to give Sony and Nintendo a cut of the pie. Like you said, Sony certainly wouldn't allow you to play RDR2 over xCloud Game Pass instead of their own platform so any overlap would have to be blocked. It just seems really messy, IMO.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you should give it a try... I think the app is $12 though so just be ready to toss that cash if the app doesn't work well for you.
Yeah, I just came back from seeing that. I still think it might be worth it. Mutant Year Zero is sitting on my Xbox and if I can play it seamlessly on my iPad in bed...yo that is appealing as hell.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
They said the same thing about their cloud streaming service, so it would seem Game Pass will evolve to offer streaming and/or download options depending on the device.

Regarding the other platforms, I think Spencer mentioned in another interview that they'll focus on PC and Android first. As for other consoles, I could see Nintendo eventually going for it but not Sony.

And I don't think this means MS is leaving hardware. Spencer already said he doesn't seen streaming replacing consoles and they want to offer the best hardware on which to play games, so it only makes sense to see xCloud and Game Pass on every platform as their way of expanding the business.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I just came back from seeing that. I still think it might be worth it. Mutant Year Zero is sitting on my Xbox and if I can play it seamlessly on my iPad in bed...yo that is appealing as hell.

A couple caveats... you can't connect official controllers to iOS devices so you either have to buy an MFi controller or be close enough to your console that your controller can reach it natively.