• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is worse than the tv/movie situation. Film and television studios don't have unilateral control over how their content is played (and there are so many of them), so physical releases can't be phased out. With gaming its three big companies that control the hardware, also put out a ton of games, and are surrounded by 4 large publishers and a sparse handful of smaller ones that publish the vast majority of games.

The game industry has a stated interest and intention to leave physical media behind. When that happens costs for the consumer will balloon and all pretense of ownership and games-as-art vanishes.

You might think you want this future, but you really don't. No one who cares about games as an artform does.

You speak for yourself, you certainly don't speak for me.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
What ? doesn't make any sense, who would want a Xbox console if all their games are coming to sony platforms, are they crazy ?

Think it's pretty clear what direction they're going eventually, away from hardware and into streaming and game pass sub services on compatible devices. Basically Xbox is going to be a platform in the same way something like netflix is, sign into your account on your tablet, PC, phone and voila. And they'll have their own box as an option for those who still want their games natively on the console. Either way they get your money, but seems to me they want to slowly exit the hardware wars between them and Sony and battle on another front.

Last edited:

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I can see it eventually being a part of new TVs. But I dont think he meant other consoles.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Profit margins for consoles are generally tiny and often negative. Console manufacturers are happy enough to make money from them when they can but the entire purpose of selling the box is to sell games, collect royalties on other company's games on the platform, and nowadays also to sell services and subscriptions and provide a storefront.
Yeah just looked, Sony makes around $18 off of each PS4 and they actually made a $200 loss on the PS3.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
KindheartedCaringHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif

FsZCbtZ.gif

3nlLR9C.gif

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer has very specifically mentioned Mobile devices and PC.

The available devices will be Android, PC, and Xbox for sure. Im sure they want IOS and MAC as well, but that will be if Apple allows it. Remember they dont want a competing store on their platform which is why they declined Steam Link.

As for competing consoles, I highly doubt it. Even if, and thats a BIG IF; If Microsoft wanted it on Sony and Nintendo consoles, they would probably decline it for the same reason Apple is in question. Nintendo declined Rainway, and Sony didnt even like the idea that people would pay for Microtransactions for Fortnite on a competing platform. If you want to look further, remember EA Access?

Im sure people will read into this, but I wouldnt hold my breath. This is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Game Pass and xCloud on Switch could be a game changer for both companies.
Really exciting possibilities.

For Microsoft that is finally a way into the Japanese market.
For Nintendo that is finally a way to attract more of the Playstation / Xbox audience to play third party AAA core console games on Switch.

Sony will never happen unless their Ps5 bombs and marketshare declines heavily.
But IOS and Switch should definitely be a goal for Microsoft to be on.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This doenst make alot of sense, if we are speaking about Gamepass as it currently is. They aren't going to port their games to Switch, PS4, and mobile, and Sony/Nintendo certainly aren't going to let MS sell access to PS4 and Switch games on their respective platforms.

I assume they plan on rolling xCloud or whatever into Gamepass at a higher price tier, but as for that coming to anything other than Xbox, PC, and possibly Android, I dont see what more they could do to get Gamepass on "everything". I guess he could mean getting a Gamepass streaming app on TVs or something, but that's probably a fool's errand.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
This is worse than the tv/movie situation. Film and television studios don't have unilateral control over how their content is played (and there are so many of them), so physical releases can't be phased out. With gaming its three big companies that control the hardware, also put out a ton of games, and are surrounded by 4 large publishers and a sparse handful of smaller ones that publish the vast majority of games.

The game industry has a stated interest and intention to leave physical media behind. When that happens costs for the consumer will balloon and all pretense of ownership and games-as-art vanishes.

You might think you want this future, but you really don't. No one who cares about games as an artform does.

You think costs of movies and TV and music ballooned? Because quite the opposite has seemingly happened.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is this the weekly Microsoft is going third party thread

There are tons of other platforms not called switch and PlayStation but every single time someone says something the first thing people (want to) believe is that Microsoft is throwing their ecosystem away to get a bunch of extra cash. Because we all know how Microsoft is in a dire situation and need money more than anything else right now

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I feel like Nintendo and Microsoft working together more is definitely something we'll see more of in the future, as they seem to each have holes that would be plugged with the other company's assistance. Nintendo is known for their lackadaisical hardware, which would be fixed by Microsoft's hardware capabilities, not to mention MS's strong relations with third parties would give them access to far more games as well as more adult titles. Microsoft has always gone over like a fart in church in Japan, which would be greatly fixed if Nintendo came on board, and they've always struggled with exclusive and kid-friendly titles, where Nintendo excels.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
MS is in the business of selling software and services. Selling Console hardware is just a means to that end.

If they can lower the barrier of entry into their ecosystem by reducing their need to sell plastic boxes, they'll make A LOT more money. It's no different from a them putting MS Office in the Apple app store- even though they still sell windows and windows devices

If console makers would allow it, MS would be all for it. If Xcloud works through the browser...
This doesn't make any sense. When MS clarifies that they were referring to PC, cloud services, and mobile, you will understand.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I can't imagine games running locally on any device. That's pretty much impossible.

This is Game Pass being available for their X-Cloud streaming service which makes total sense. And by "any device" they mean any device where X-Cloud will be available to stream to.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and we see that already on consoles. MS has no problem releasing Minecraft on other platforms.

I think the issue is how would Game Pass exist on PS4 and Switch? To me they would have to limit it to first party only and also figure a way to give Sony and Nintendo a cut of the pie. Like you said, Sony certainly wouldn't allow you to play RDR2 over xCloud Game Pass instead of their own platform so any overlap would have to be blocked. It just seems really messy, IMO.

Not really that messy, and everyone benefits.
It wouldn't be all that different from how region locking currently works in streaming services.

I doubt rdr2 will ever be on GamePass, but I see your point. I think a better example would be Rocket League. It's currently on GP. If you tried to stream it to your PS4 via xcloud, you wouldn't see the option because of the overlap with Sony's own store. But if you steamed directly to your TV, you'd be good to go.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make any sense. When MS clarifies that they were referring to PC, cloud services, and mobile, you will understand.

It makes perfect sense. MS doesn't a shit what device you are playing on. Their profits don't come from selling hardware. They come from selling software and services. The more devices their service is available on, the more money they'll make.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never used the PS4 browser - does it have controller support like Edge does where you can play emulators and such?

I wonder if a browser streaming solution could be a workaround (less than ideal, but better than nothing).

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. I think he means phones, tablets, PC's, Xbox consoles, and potentially a app for smart t.v.s.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This makes sense - as a software company now Microsoft is very all-in on their software products being available everywhere for cross buy/save/use/etc/etc/etc/etc

Look at Office and Minecraft

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Probably means Xbox and PC for now, and once xCloud is off the ground, then smart phones, tablets and media devices (FireTV, AppleTV, Roku, etc.) are fair game.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If it were to ever come to the PS4 (and/or PS5) why would anyone ever have a need to buy an Xbox?

Very little money is made on hardware. Small margins. Hardware is simply means to end to retain current base who may bail on the ecosystem without the option of dedicated local Xbox hardware. Real profit is in subscription services with reocurring monthly or yearly fees. Has been the focus of Microsoft since Nadella took over. They really don't care where you're subscribing from. Opening up the chance to get a small fee from a potential 2 billion consumers is better than getting a larger percentage of 40 million consumer gaming budgets.

I think this is really Sony's call. Microsoft would love to see Game Pass through PlayStation.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Sony may do a lot of dumb stuff, but having Xbox games on their platform wouldn't be one of them.

Why would Sony say no to a reason that let's people pick up the PS system over the competitors box?

Sony would LOVE to sell XBOX games on their PlayStation system.

If you buy them in their PlayStation store, that is. Or if you have to use a PS+ subscription to play them online.

But that is clearly NOT what MS has in mind here.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Game Pass isn't going to be on PS4 or Switch. There is no reason for either to allow that to happen.
Game pass is just an idea. But this new streaming service may be. And why shouldn't game pass be on everything? Microsoft could only further cement their great lib on millions of gamers platforms?? Sony is killing it on the PSNow front when compared to other game subscription services, and that simply because it's on PC. There's no reason at all that PS4 gamers can't pay $10 a month and play games like Halo or Gears.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
itll be on xbox, pc, mobile and streaming boxes/dongles (like chromecast etc). sony and nintendo aint putting that on their console

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Launching Xbox Game Pass on Playstation would be the weirdest thing. Can't see that happening.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they meant launching this on PS4 as well, but on Switch it'd be fine since they're not really direct competitors like that.

Game Pass being built into smart TVs and blu-rayp players and such as well as having an app available on every device is extremely ambitious but possible and MS seem to have a head start.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't appear that they care about that anymore. They're only looking at it from the standpoint that you will still have to pay them money every month and probably still need a paid Xbox Live sub to play online in Game Pass. Selling Xbox hardware seems like an afterthought now.

It almost feels like MS are leaving the console business without really leaving the console business. It's weird.
I talked about Microsoft doing this almost a decade ago and got laughed at. Now everything is more or less happening as I've predicted.

They're transferring to a full GaS company. The Xbox hardware itself will at most be just another highend device that can use their service.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, guys. they could put every game on every system and we can still fight about whether the analog stick should be 30mm higher or lower. Or what kind of fuckin battery we should use in the controller.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world, I can see Xbox Game Pass coming to all consoles but we need to get there first. SONY and Nintendo need to see that this is a win win for everyone.
There is a downside to Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft essentially wants to do what Amazon did to Apple. In which, they put their storefront up on their competitors service, so that every purchase made on their own storefront goes to their pockets instead of their rival.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
I talked about Microsoft doing this almost a decade ago and got laughed at. Now everything is more or less happening as I've predicted.

They're transferring to a full GaS company. The Xbox hardware itself will at most be just another highend device that can use their service.

Well they already do it with office right? It's available on practically everything and I don't think it hurt the pc market much specifically.

Having something easily available on most devices will just make people want to use it more cause your progress will follow you too

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
People need to get the idea that Microsoft would put GamePass on PlayStation outnof their heads.

He's referring to smartphone and tablets.

But, I could see a scenario where xCloud/GamePass comes to switch in Japan only.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Nintendo and Microsoft working together more is definitely something we'll see more of in the future, as they seem to each have holes that would be plugged with the other company's assistance. Nintendo is known for their lackadaisical hardware, which would be fixed by Microsoft's hardware capabilities, not to mention MS's strong relations with third parties would give them access to far more games as well as more adult titles. Microsoft has always gone over like a fart in church in Japan, which would be greatly fixed if Nintendo came on board, and they've always struggled with exclusive and kid-friendly titles, where Nintendo excels.

That would sell a shit load of Nintendo Switches.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The Apple App Store case that is happening at the moment could make this possible in future

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder, the original Xbox was supposed to be a set top box PC that brought Windows to the living room. Gaming was going to be the trojan horse. Once, Microsoft realized that such a thing didn't mesh all that well with daily living, they reduced the features and changed the exterior to look more console like. Remember the Xbox innards was literally an OTC PC.

They agreed to have the goal of gradually making the Xbox experience more and more like a set top box for the living room, and while they took a step back in hardware makeup for the 360, they took a leap when it came to the UI and experience.

It's been a long, but not too long game for Microsoft. Assuming this happens next gen, then it would have been less than twenty years since they entered the business with this objective. Their plan wasn't to dominate gaming, but to get Windows for home TV entertainment.

Well they already do it with office right? It's available on practically everything and I don't think it hurt the pc market much specifically.

Having something easily available on most devices will just make people want to use it more cause your progress will follow you too
True, but to be fair Microsoft was never threatened in their desktop OS space.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Microsoft would want it on absolutely everything, that's a given. They are trying to position Game Pass as Netflix for gaming so their goal would be to get it to everything they possibly can, including Sony and Nintendo devices. That's not to say that it's going to happen, that's entirely dependent on those companies allowing it.

The Apple App Store case that is happening at the moment could make this possible in future

This is a really good point.